Home
As I get older I find that it is getting harder to see thin scope recitals. My favorite scope now being a Swarovski with 4A Reticle. Big, bold cross hairs. Also I find the thin cross hair are hard to see in the brush and at dawn and dusk when the lighting is low. Your thoughts on this subject?
I’m knocking on 60.If it isn’t 4A,or illuminated-dot,I’m not interested...
Im in the process of changing out some of my scopes because of this
Knocking on 60 myself. Reg duplex is fine. Still dont like heavy duplex.
Recital
A formal statement appearing in a legal document such as a deed that is preliminary in nature and provides an explanation of the reasons for the transaction.

The recital in a deed, for example, might indicate the reasons why the owner is selling the property.

In Pleading, a recital is the statement of matter that is introductory to a positive allegation; it begins with the words, "For that whereas …" and is followed by the claim of the party.

West's Encyclopedia of American Law, edition 2. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
The standard duplex in Trijicon Accupoint and Huron 3-9s is pretty thick in the sidebars and the center section is small, 8-8.6 MOA, making them stand out well. Some German 4s suffer from the same issue as many duplexes, a wide center gap that leaves you aiming with essentially a pretty fine crosshair.

Amazon has the reticle details on the Trijicon scopes included with the descriptions, easier to get to than on Trijicon’s site.

Another good one is Tract’s T-Plex.
rec·​tal | \ ˈrek-tᵊl \
Collegiate Definition
: relating to, affecting, or being nearly a rectum

Okay, I changed that just a bit. Take it a little easy on the geezers.👨🏼‍🦳
Post and crossshair. I have a Weaver K 2.5 on my M600 358 for just that. Old gun, old scope.
Recitals and Rectals (hurt) should be the new title for the Hunting Optics forum. Sorry, couldn't help myself grin
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Recital
A formal statement appearing in a legal document such as a deed that is preliminary in nature and provides an explanation of the reasons for the transaction.

The recital in a deed, for example, might indicate the reasons why the owner is selling the property.

In Pleading, a recital is the statement of matter that is introductory to a positive allegation; it begins with the words, "For that whereas …" and is followed by the claim of the party.

West's Encyclopedia of American Law, edition 2. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.

the performance of a program of music by a solo instrumentalist or singer or by a small group.
"a piano recital"
Hey, I went to one of those for my niece, one time......
Originally Posted by huntsman22

You must really love that gal. I hate those. Sat through my share when my kids were growing up. Pure torture.
Dancing, singing, and instrument playing rectals? This place has everything.
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Post and crossshair. I have a Weaver K 2.5 on my M600 358 for just that. Old gun, old scope.

^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^

I'm pushing 70 and can still use a standard duplex no problem but the Post/Crosshair is where it's at as far as I'm concerned for whitetails in heavy cover. I have a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington with a Denver Redfield 4X post & crosshair scope and a Remington 760 pump in .35 Remington with a Denver Redfield Widefield 2 & 3/4X with a post & crosshair.

Have a Denver Redfield Lo Pro Widefield with the tapered crosshair which I find impossible to see in low light which I sent into Iron Sight Inc. to have rebuilt and resealed. For an additional $15 they will change the reticle to a post & crosshair so I am having them do that too. That scope will go on a Remington 760 in 30-06.
So your having issues with your sxipw rectums are you.....have you tried spell chex...
I can still use anything but an ultra fine cross hair, but the German #4 and it's variations are my favorite for low light. An illuminated reticle is an option. In some instances prescription shooting glasses may be in order. I like dots too but any busy or Christmas tree type reticles just doesn't work for me.
I can still use anything but an ultra fine cross hair, but the German #4 and it's variations are my favorite for low light. An illuminated reticle is an option. In some instances prescription shooting glasses may be in order. I like dots too but any busy or Christmas tree type reticles just doesn't work for me.
Have trouble with the fine tapered crosshair on a Leup MX8-8X. Fine non-tapered doesn't bother, nor does a very small dot. On the other end, my 1934 G&H M-54 has a 2.75x Hensoldt. Post and crosshair. The post is rounded - find vertical stringing very much worse than 20 years ago. A flat post would probably work better.
I like the German no. 1 for a couple of applications, but have settled on the Tract T-Plex for most of my use. The older Conquest had the best plex of any I have used.
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Yeah, and I didn't know scopes could do that kind of thing!

The things you learn in the optics forum!
Same. If you wear eyeglasses, confer with your doc to ensure the prescription isn't having an effect on a cross hair. Mine gave me a trial scrip to try to make my dominant eye more dominant for wingshooting. It made horizontal cross hairs blur slightly.
I am 70 with Glaucoma.
My left eye makes a $2k scope look like a $200 scope.
My fight eye makes a $2k scope look like a $20 scope.
I shoot with my right eye.
I buy ~~~ 5 scopes a year.
The fatest reticle I have is
Leupold 3-9x40 VX-Freedom Muzzleloader Scope 174184 $299.99 swfa
[Linked Image from swfa.com]
From the cross hairs to the second dot is 8 moa.
My limit is 8moa drop with a 200 yard zero.
That may be 300 yards with a 30-30 and 550 yards with a 7mmRM.
I use Quickload / Quicktarget to figure out the drop.
i like this reticle. i, too, am 70, but no glaucoma. i can still get a crisp, clear reticle with standard adjustment of ocular.
Originally Posted by GrimJim
I like the German no. 1 for a couple of applications, but have settled on the Tract T-Plex for most of my use. The older Conquest had the best plex of any I have used.

I’ve got a couple of German #1s, and outside if Trijicon’s lit triangle, they’re the best when low light AND speed are top priorities……4A, Heavy Duplex, and Illuminated are for when I need more placement definition, further out, in all light. Out to as far as I ever get to shoot game around here (<500), Heavy crosshairs have never been any sort of hindrance at all, and fine crosshairs and thin duplexes have cost me more than once in the bottoms in low light.
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I am 70 with Glaucoma.
My left eye makes a $2k scope look like a $200 scope.
My fight eye makes a $2k scope look like a $20 scope.
I shoot with my right eye.
I buy ~~~ 5 scopes a year.
The fatest reticle I have is
Leupold 3-9x40 VX-Freedom Muzzleloader Scope 174184 $299.99 swfa
[Linked Image from swfa.com]
From the cross hairs to the second dot is 8 moa.
My limit is 8moa drop with a 200 yard zero.
That may be 300 yards with a 30-30 and 550 yards with a 7mmRM.
I use Quickload / Quicktarget to figure out the drop.

I have not seen this crosshair before. Looks great for older eyes, dawn and dusk shooting. Thanks for sharing. I will buy one smile
Posted By: JJF Re: Scope Recitals for an Old Man - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by andrews1958
As I get older I find that it is getting harder to see thin scope recitals. My favorite scope now being a Swarovski with 4A Reticle. Big, bold cross hairs. Also I find the thin cross hair are hard to see in the brush and at dawn and dusk when the lighting is low. Your thoughts on this subject?
I am pushing 70 years old and I agree 100% with this statement.
© 24hourcampfire