Home
Posted By: ssramage Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 08/30/21
Am likely going to be purchasing a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 Firedot this week, but wanted to hear some input on any others I should consider. I have been shooting Leupolds for years, but this will be the highest quality one I've owned (shooting a VX3i now).

Anything else in a similar price point (+/- $1000) that I should consider?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 08/30/21
Trijicon
Nightforce
Tract
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 08/30/21
I don't have the Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 but I do have two VX-5HD 2-10Xs and they are very good indeed.

I do like Trijicon scopes. I've owned several ACOGs and RMRs. I had a Trijicon AccuPoint 4-16x50 on Colt LE901 7.62. I liked it but it seemed really heavy and long. If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with a Leupold on it.
Posted By: rgrx1276 Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 08/30/21
My sample of 1 Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 Firedot ....- Canted reticle, fuxzzy sh*t on the crosshair, and had loose trash inside... done with leupolds. Still have a couple 3-9's and will eventually rid my safe of them....
Bought a Tract 2-10 due to the positive traffic here... Damn' hard to focus. Will send it back and see what can be done.
My Nightforce, Vortex razor HD LHT, and SS 3-9 worked well, and no issues with them. For the money, tough to beat a SS.
Posted By: rgrx1276 Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 08/30/21
did I mention it was a b*tch to zero.... 4 clicks up and 3 clicks right gave some off the wall sh*t.....
Posted By: KenMi Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 08/30/21
You will see a huge difference between that and the VX-3i. I sold both of the VX-3i scopes that I had (4.5-14x40 with 30mm tubes) and bought two of that same VX-5HD Firedot this year.
Awesome scope, you won't be disappointed. It is a much better scope than some in the $1500 range. Tracking and optics are flawless on those 2 as well as a 4-20x52 that I set up recently.

Only thing is- you don't have to spend $1000. MSRP is just that- suggested. Dealers just can't advertise a lower price, but they can sell at a lower price. I got one a few weeks ago from Predator Optics for $800. He drop ships from a major distributor.
Or there are some dealers that sell for even less than that price but they are currently out of stock.

Haters will always find a reason to hate.

Posted By: Motown Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 08/30/21
I would go with the Vortex Razor LHT 3-15. They can be had for under $1k and unlike Leupold they track as they should.
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 08/30/21
Originally Posted by rgrx1276

Bought a Tract 2-10 due to the positive traffic here... Damn' hard to focus. Will send it back and see what can be done.

Come to think of it, I now realize I had the same problem. Struggled to get the reticle and a paper target at 100yds to focus up together. Thought maybe my eye was just being wonky. Other than that I like the scope.
Posted By: drano 25 Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 08/30/21
Originally Posted by Motown
I would go with the Vortex Razor LHT 3-15. They can be had for under $1k and unlike Leupold they track as they should.

Not a really a Vortex fan, bud id choose the mode noted here over the Leupold VX5. A Zeiss Conuest V4 or V6 would be worth a look also.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 08/31/21
I just got a Trijicon 3-15 TenMile. So far it’s been rock solid. Optics are great, it’s illuminated and it’s right at your same price point roughly.

I’ve only dialed it out to 500 but the tall target test seemed spot on. It won’t be my last Trijicon.
Posted By: camdog Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 08/31/21

I have the Leopoldo you are considering and am very pleased with it. Would purchase again.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 08/31/21
Leupold mostly sucks ass
Posted By: aheider Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 08/31/21

I’m not a vortex fan but I do like the Razor LHT. I also have and use the Zeiss V4. Between the two I prefer the LHT.

I bought a Tract 3-15 based on the suggestions here. I couldn’t get past the black donut ring effect, so it went back for a refund. I’ve experienced that looking through low level vortex scopes but none of my others. Compared it side by side with the Razor, V4, SHV, and Meopta.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 08/31/21
Originally Posted by camdog

I have the Leopoldo you are considering and am very pleased with it. Would purchase again.

Ssme here.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 08/31/21
I have three Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 Firedots, they are mounted on my go to hunting rifles and despite the naysayers they are working well and I dial each of them.
The only thing keeping them from being the ideal hunting scope for my uses is the thin wide duplex that some dumbass at Leupold decided to switch to, but I make them work only because of the lit dot.
I paid around $700 for each but that was 3 or 4 years ago.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 08/31/21
At first I would have preferred a more standard duplex, but this modified type really does not bother me. It is actually very beneficial in some cases, especially at the range.

The Vortex options are pretty pathetic for hunting reticles
Posted By: Motown Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 08/31/21
Originally Posted by drano 25

Not a really a Vortex fan, bud id choose the mode noted here over the Leupold VX5. A Zeiss Conuest V4 or V6 would be worth a look also.

Originally Posted by aheider

I’m not a vortex fan but I do like the Razor LHT. I also have and use the Zeiss V4. Between the two I prefer the LHT.

I bought a Tract 3-15 based on the suggestions here. I couldn’t get past the black donut ring effect, so it went back for a refund. I’ve experienced that looking through low level vortex scopes but none of my others. Compared it side by side with the Razor, V4, SHV, and Meopta.

I was never a big Vortex guy either until I tried the LHT. I liked it enough to pickup a 1.5-8 and 2-10 1” Razors and really like them as well. Not sure I would use their lower end stuff but any of their Japanese made optics seem great.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 08/31/21
My VX-5HD 2-10 is a very nice scope, and adjusts fine so far, but grew hair on the reticle too. It’s on its way back for a redo. Will probably sell it as I replaced it with a Tract 3-15. Only one trip to the range with that, but didn’t notice it being hard to focus, and the adjustments moved as they should. Like all I’ve tried, it gets harder to get behind as the power goes up. Could’ve done with the 2-10, but I wanted the PA. I have a spare Trijicon 3-9 if it proves difficult.

Individual eyesight varies so much I think the only way to tell if an optic is right for you is by trying it.
Posted By: azelkhuntr Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 08/31/21
I own all of the following and for me this is my order
Vortex razor hd lht
Ziess conquest v4
Nightforce shv
Leupold vx-5 hd
Tract toric
Meopta meopro
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Trijicon
Nightforce
Tract

Yep, I'd also add SWFA SS to the list as well. Something like the 3-15X42. I wouldn't own anything that said Vortex on it. Seen too many failures with those scopes. YMMV.
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Leupold mostly sucks ass

Mostly, kind of like Vortex..
Posted By: LFC Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 08/31/21
My VX-5HD 2-10 is a very nice scope, and adjusts fine so far, but grew hair on the reticle too. It’s on its way back for a redo. Will probably sell it as I replaced it with a Tract 3-15. Only one trip to the range with that, but didn’t notice it being hard to focus, and the adjustments moved as they should. Like all I’ve tried, it gets harder to get behind as the power goes up. Could’ve done with the 2-10, but I wanted the PA. I have a spare Trijicon 3-9 if it proves difficult.

Individual eyesight varies so much I think the only way to tell if an optic is right for you is by trying it.

Could you posts pics of your hairy Leupold ?
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 08/31/21
Originally Posted by LFC

Could you posts pics of your hairy Leupold ?

Kinda personal. 😳
PM kingston. He can get ya hooked up.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 08/31/21
I have liquidated and sold off a number of scopes in the last year or so, including S&B, Zeiss and Swarovski, my last five purchases were Leupold 5HDs. I'm sure there are better scopes out there but for the money, the 5HD is my sweet spot.
Meopta.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 09/01/21
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Trijicon
Nightforce
Tract

Yep, I'd also add SWFA SS to the list as well. Something like the 3-15X42. I wouldn't own anything that said Vortex on it. Seen too many failures with those scopes. YMMV.

Like the scopes’ functionality, but not the reticles for our woods. If they ever come up with a better one…….but they won’t because they sell every one they can get as it is.

The SS 10x on my CZ MTR is perfect there though.
Posted By: LFC Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 09/01/21
Says the Asian scope promoter.....

Do you get paid to trash Leupold scopes ?
Posted By: FWP Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 09/01/21
I have a 2 x 10, VX-5HD mounted on a 257 Wby. It is an excellent scope. The glass is clear and the adjustments are positive and it gets adjusted a lot playing with different loads. If I was going to purchase another hunting scope the Leupold VX-5HDs would get the first look.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 09/01/21
i have a 3-25 on my 28 N. very clear, sharp images. ive only shot it to 600 ut it has tracked and repeated just fine

I have 2 of these Gold Line optics. They are made in Philippines VS China like the Silver line. I have the 308 calibrated reticle but they have a Mil-Dot. The glass is good, weighs 23 oz, locking turrets, illuminated reticle.

Primary Arms has similar model to SWFA. They design and sell their own optics so you get a lot for the money by eliminating the middle man. I like the gold line for hunting because the weight is reasonable.

https://www.primaryarms.com/glx-4-16x50-ffp-rifle-scope-mil-dot-reticle
Posted By: Fotis Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 09/02/21
Trijicon
Nightforce
Tract

Or SWFA or even Athlon helos 2x12. Also vortex razor 3x15x42mm. I have 4 of them.. I no longer trust leupies.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Leupold VX5HD or ???? - 09/02/21

Absolutely 💯
© 24hourcampfire