Home
Posted By: Old Coach Red dot mount for Savage 24 - 09/20/21
I need. 3/8” groove to Picatinny adaptor for a Savage over and under.
The rim fire bbl has the 3/8 groove.
I want it as low as possible.
Burris fastfire III is the dot I will use.
All help appreciated
Coach
B-Square makes 2-piece 3/8" to Weaver adapters.

There are Chinese knock-offs of the B-Square adapters for sale on eBay for under $10. Cool-boy2014 currently has them advertised on eBay for under $6.

I don't have a red dot sight installed on a Savage 24, but I do have an old Bushnell Banner 4x20 .22 scope install on an old 24 in .22M/410 using these adapters and Durasight QD rings.
About the lowest possible style are like this I'd think. Don't know if there are domestics like it. Just a WAG or possibly. Good luck.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313616925483?hash=item490506832b:g:7-AAAOSwA-Vg~mCa

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: jk16 Re: Red dot mount for Savage 24 - 09/21/21
The problem with the Savage 24 & 219 barrel scope mount Groove is that the way they are cut into the barrel there is a HIGH crown between those grooves. Most low rimfire adapters including those shown below are flat topped and will not clear the arched section between those grooves.
Originally Posted by jk16
The problem with the Savage 24 & 219 barrel scope mount Groove is that the way they are cut into the barrel there is a HIGH crown between those grooves. Most low rimfire adapters including those shown below are flat topped and will not clear the arched section between those grooves.

Bummer, round top 3/8"... I suppose then, if a guy wants to solve such, grab a file and get after it (on the adapter please, LOL). Hmmm. I'll buy a round end mill.... Same problem on KoO 82s, old Rem bolt rimfires etc....

What else might work for the OP?.
Posted By: cotis Re: Red dot mount for Savage 24 - 09/21/21
I did this a few years ago, sold the rifle. I still have the mounts in a drawer in the garage somewhere, I will try to dig out and post photos.
Originally Posted by jk16

I have successfully installed these adapters on a couple different Savage 24 rimfires with grooved barrels. I don't recall having to modify theim in any way, but a person wouldn't need to remove too much material from the bottom of the adapters to make them fit. A person with a steady hand could do it with a Dremel tool. or with a drill press with a round end burr as the material is just some sort of soft aluminum alloy.

EDIT: I looked at my Savage 24 in .22M/410 and it appears as though the B-Square adapters have been modified to fit the higher profile of the Savage 24 barrel just like jk16 posted.
Weaver makes an adapter that is taller than the B-Square or B-Square Style adapters, their paret number 48459. The taller Weaver units have lots of material that could be removed to make them fit the Savage 24's barrel profile.

Kwik-Site makes, or has made, both one-piece and two-piece 3/8" groove to Weaver adapters. The one-piece adapter is their part number KSW23
A pic of the B-Square item, looks like a simple solution given the round top. Well done 260RG. These might be out of production! $40 and done, and you get an extra..... China. Or get the China knock off of the China item. Looks like something a domestic maker should offer...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00268C0VQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8
Posted By: erich Re: Red dot mount for Savage 24 - 09/21/21
I had a Weaver base screws on mine and then found it to be the worst excuse for a combo gun to use with a scope ever. Wasn't much for a combo gun without the scope with the selector on the hammer and having to cock it between shots. At least with a red dot you don't have to mount it so high so you can get at the hammer and selector.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

A combo gun should have two triggers and a safety to actually work well as a combo gun.

A proper combo gun with the same B-square Weaver to 3/8-11mm rib adaptors.

Works well too from border to border, just south of the Canadian border

Just north of the Mexican Border

When you buy any firearm with more than one barrel, you generally get what you pay for.

My Savage 24 in .22M/410 is a fun woods loafing gun, not cutting edge accurate, but accurate enough. I have a hammer spur on this Savage 24.
I bought a package of two a few years back. Only needed one for a red dot. You can have the other for $10 + shipping. Look just like the B-Square. Clamp on tight to my old M24.
Posted By: cotis Re: Red dot mount for Savage 24 - 09/22/21
Originally Posted by cotis
I did this a few years ago, sold the rifle. I still have the mounts in a drawer in the garage somewhere, I will try to dig out and post photos.

I found the mounts I used on my model 24. They are the B-square ones exactly like the one shown in MtnBoomer's post. The model # on the package is #17025. I mounted a Burris Fastfire red dot to mine. It has (or had at the time) a Weaver cross slot base which was larger than the slot in the B-Square mount. I used a file to open up the slot, it was easy as the B-Square mount is aluminum. The work is not visible because naturally the red dot mount covers it. I hope it works out for you!
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
A pic of the B-Square item, looks like a simple solution given the round top. Well done 260RG. These might be out of production! $40 and done, and you get an extra..... China. Or get the China knock off of the China item. Looks like something a domestic maker should offer...

I got those B squares, they were made out of butter.
Worthless.

Proly one of their last runs?
Here ya go:

https://gun-guides.com/Perfect-Adapter%E2%84%A2-Optic-Mounts-for-Savage-O-U-24-Shotguns-by-Gun-Guides%C2%AE-BACK-IN-STOCK-p83298188

These are the ones I bought. Solid mount. They sell in package of 1 or 2.
Posted By: cotis Re: Red dot mount for Savage 24 - 09/23/21
Originally Posted by UncleAlps
Here ya go:

https://gun-guides.com/Perfect-Adapter%E2%84%A2-Optic-Mounts-for-Savage-O-U-24-Shotguns-by-Gun-Guides%C2%AE-BACK-IN-STOCK-p83298188

It’s the SAME Weaver mounts we were discussing above.
Here ya go:

Tough crowd... LOL 😁

Now to find a worthy model 24....

link

Originally Posted by hookeye

I got those B squares, they were made out of butter.
Worthless.

Proly one of their last runs?

Recycled Cola cans? I have always considered B-Square low grade. I bought a used pair to check how they are machined. I have some steel Picatinny blank, somewhere.
Posted By: FWP Re: Red dot mount for Savage 24 - 09/23/21
I have a 24 in 22 mag over 20 ga. I tried scoping it over the years but was never happy with the results.

I thought it would make a good turkey gun with TSS. I found an Aimpoint 7000 (I think it is a 7000 model) and put it on. It worked great. It is the first time I've been happy with a scope on the 24. I think the scope came with a 3/8" clamp mount and the fit is low and clean.

The gun is at my other house. I'll post some photos when I get back up there.
Here ya go:

Tough crowd... LOL 😁

Now to find a worthy model 24....

link

Those bases look like the $6 Chinese knock-offs of the B-Squares.
I really don't know what the differences are, if any, but I do know the ones I bought from gun-guides.com were well made and clamped solid.
I looked at another Savage 24 today and it has a scope installed with Leupold Rifleman .22 rings, their part number 57405. These rings don't appear to have been modified to fit the higher profile of the Savage 24 rimfire barrel, but they aren't QR/QD, so you couldn't take the scope off if you wanted to use the open sights.
© 24hourcampfire