Home
Posted By: murkydismal VX3 vs VX3i - 10/26/21
Looking at a NIB VX3 3.5x10. I have a VX3i 3.5x10 I really like.

Anyone know of the differences and/or pros & cons of each?
Posted By: hanco Re: VX3 vs VX3i - 10/26/21
I have both, can’t tell any difference. I wish all scopes were still gloss.
Posted By: Moto_Vita Re: VX3 vs VX3i - 10/26/21
I have both 3s and 3i in other magnifications, they're very close. Leupold claims better light transmission for the 3i and in my 2.5-8X I think I can see it, but in my 6.5-20Xs I can't. I'd probably buy whichever costs less.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: VX3 vs VX3i - 10/26/21
I tried to see a difference. Couldn’t.

I’m guessing they found ways to make them cheaper.

But who knows for sure.

Assembled in the USA. Some parts imported. Glass?

Did someone mention “Pacific Rim”?

DF
Posted By: Motown Re: VX3 vs VX3i - 10/26/21
I have both models and to my eyes the VX3i seems slightly brighter than my VX3. Its not a huge difference by any means though.
Posted By: garyw Re: VX3 vs VX3i - 10/26/21

I have VXIII, VX3 AND VX3i and I can't tell hardly any difference between them, The VXIII
damaged by my GS( broke tube) and they said send it to them I explained it was dropped and
they replaced it with a VX 3. The scope was 25 yrs old. Leupold's CS has always been super to me.

Thats my 2cents
Posted By: bowmanh Re: VX3 vs VX3i - 10/26/21
I don't see much difference between the two, although I only have one VX-3i. The VX-3's have worked well for me. No dialing though.
Posted By: LJB3 Re: VX3 vs VX3i - 10/26/21
In my 2.5-8 and my 3.5-10's there is a very slight difference in brightness, but I can't see it until way past legal light.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: VX3 vs VX3i - 10/26/21
Originally Posted by garyw

I have VXIII, VX3 AND VX3i and I can't tell hardly any difference between them, The VXIII
damaged by my GS( broke tube) and they said send it to them I explained it was dropped and
they replaced it with a VX 3. The scope was 25 yrs old. Leupold's CS has always been super to me.

Thats my 2cents

I have a Vari-XIII that was made in1984. the glass is truly dreadful and the only reason I keep it is because it was my inheritance from my father, the VXIII was a huge leap forward in quality of glass. the VX3 and VX3i , I can't tell the difference between them.

Interesting that they replaced your scope........I sent my Vari-XIII in just a few years ago for repairs and they replaced the scope tube.......wish they would have replaced it, but zero complaints !!!!!!
Posted By: boatanchor Re: VX3 vs VX3i - 10/26/21
Originally Posted by hanco
I wish all scopes were still gloss.

I'm so glad you don't get your wish wink
Posted By: TX35W Re: VX3 vs VX3i - 10/27/21
Own and have owned lots of both models. As mentioned above, there was a quantum leap, glasswise, from the vari-x scopes (or at least the ones I've seen). But from the vx-III to vx-3 to vx-3i, not so much difference, at least that I could see.
Posted By: Torqued Re: VX3 vs VX3i - 10/27/21
I have 3 vx3's and 2 vx3i's
I notice only a very slight difference between them
The 3i is just a little brother brighter. Just enough to be noticeable.
If I could get my hands on enough vx3 2.5-8 scopes in would get rid of all the 3.5-10's
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: VX3 vs VX3i - 10/27/21
My Freedoms seem brighter to me in low light than my VX3i’s. From Sept-May I spend at least 3 dawn & dusk days per week, some weeks 6 days. The first evening I used a Freedom, I just had to chuckle. We spend way too much money fellas.

A Ruger American, Leupold Freedom, and Federal Blue box will put you on top of the hunting game.
Posted By: skeen Re: VX3 vs VX3i - 10/27/21
Originally Posted by hanco
I have both, can’t tell any difference. I wish all scopes were still gloss.

I agree on the first, eh, not so sure on the second. laugh
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: VX3 vs VX3i - 10/27/21
Originally Posted by Torqued
If I could get my hands on enough vx3 2.5-8 scopes in would get rid of all the 3.5-10's

I have both, and it depends on which one I looked through last... whistle

Wish I could find more 2.5-8's--with the B&C reticle.
Posted By: Moto_Vita Re: VX3 vs VX3i - 10/27/21
Originally Posted by Torqued

I agree about the 2.5-8X, after many years of swapping scopes around I think it's the best combination of size weight and magnification for a hunting rifle. I still have one 3.5-10X on a 26" barrel Weatherby, it's well suited to that rifle but it's not your average hunting rifle.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: VX3 vs VX3i - 10/27/21
The "I" meaning Improved, according to Leupold. Had 2 VX3's puke, so I can understand why they needed an improved version. As for aesthetics and not being able to tell the difference. That is laughable. The I is so tacky looking. No wonder guys search out the old ones..
Posted By: Judman Re: VX3 vs VX3i - 10/27/21
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The "I" meaning Improved, according to Leupold. Had 2 VX3's puke, so I can understand why they needed an improved version. As for aesthetics and not being able to tell the difference. That is laughable. The I is so tacky looking. No wonder guys search out the old ones..

You get dumber by the day… haha
Posted By: bowmanh Re: VX3 vs VX3i - 10/27/21
I don't think people are saying they can't tell the difference between models. They are saying the optics seem very similar.
© 24hourcampfire