Home
I currently have 2 Leupold FX II 6x36's and a Zeiss Diatal 6x32 and really like them both. I have the Leupolds on a Ruger #1 RSI 9.3x62 and Ruger 77 RSI 30/06 and the Zeiss is on a customized 700 with a Krieger barrel chambered in 284 Winchester. I am currently putting together another rifle build and was wondering what other fixed 6x choices there are out there? I have no issues using the Leupold or Zeiss just looking for some other ideas.
Kaps made in germany https://www.optics-trade.eu/us/kaps-classic-6x42-rc-oc.html
SWFA 6x
I have a Burris FFII in 6x and it is one one my favorite fixed power scopes. Also I have a Vortex 6x that is was able to brag new from camera land. It is unmounted and still in the box, saving it for the my next rifle purchase. I have yet to own a Weaver 6x but would buy one if the price was right.
Schmidt and Bender makes a 6x42 in both 1" and 30mm. Probably the best glass quality of any current production 6x scope. Reliability has been great for me on several hunting rifles. They have also made PMII 6x42's but they aren't regular production....if you run across someone selling one of them you shouldn't purchase it, you should inform me immediately....

https://schmidtundbender.de/en/products/hunting/6x42-klassik.html

SWFA's 6x42 is the most for the least:

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-6x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope-3.html?___SID=U

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-6x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope-105767.html?___SID=U
6X SWFA is a great scope.

This one is on a 20" T3 .308 that I put together for my oldest kiddo to hunt with. For an all around gun, it is fantastic.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
+ whatever on the SWFA 6X MQ. I have a lot of them.
https://www.optics-trade.eu/us/schmidt-bender-klassik-hungaria-6x42.html

I like these quite a lot for a woods gun I’m not worried about dialing.
How about the Meopta Artemis, are they a decent 6x ?
I put a 6x Nikon 40mm on my 30/06 a few years back, it's great. I haven't looked a 6x scope since.
Sightron Big Sky if you can find one…
Meopta Meopro 6x is a great scope if you can find one
Originally Posted by Bull64
Sightron Big Sky if you can find one…

I have one that I mounted on a rifle and it’s never been out of the safe since.

I would sell it
I'll second the Sightron 6x and the SWFA's. Had a couple of the Leupold 6x years back, and they gave good service, but thought the glass, reticle (subjective, of course) repeatability, and ruggedness was better on the Sightron, so still have that one in use.

The SWFA is just a great scope for hitting targets near and far. Rugged and repeatable. Good reticle. Great value for $300. Could likely use one for almost all of my hunting, excepting close up, quick moving targets.
Originally Posted by Trappererick
I currently have 2 Leupold FX II 6x36's and a Zeiss Diatal 6x32 and really like them both. I have the Leupolds on a Ruger #1 RSI 9.3x62 and Ruger 77 RSI 30/06 and the Zeiss is on a customized 700 with a Krieger barrel chambered in 284 Winchester. I am currently putting together another rifle build and was wondering what other fixed 6x choices there are out there? I have no issues using the Leupold or Zeiss just looking for some other ideas.

For lightweight compactness, I don't think the Leupold 6x36 can be beat. I'm not letting go of mine (LRD model). Wish I hadn't sold the other one I had...
Weaver T6 with Microtrac was great back in the day.
I have a Trijicon 1-6 on my Grendel and expect to leave it on 6 unless I get into really thick stuff, so it’s sorta fixed.🤔
I'll check my stash - I may have a 6x36 Leupie on the shelf.
IOR on my Kimber 25/06. Works great.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I'd love to have another Leupold 6x36 with either the LRD or a #4. Naturally they would never make one of those again since instead they could screw people with that wide duplex garbage.
Leupold FX-3 6x42mm Matte - Wide Duplex
Originally Posted by David_Walter
+ whatever on the SWFA 6X MQ. I have a lot of them.

This ^

If it's a close cover rig and you don't want to ever dial, I probably go with another selection due to size/weight.
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I'll check my stash - I may have a 6x36 Leupie on the shelf.

I would be very interested in that if you want to sell it. Second dibs after the OP of course.
I have everything that has been mentioned. I have close to 20 different 6x scopes.

The Meopta and Kaps have the best glass of what is mentioned. The Meopta is quite a bit lighter and should be easier to get. I had to order my Kaps from Germany and it was expensive.

The Leupold is a good scope, I have a 6x36 and really like the length of the scope body. It works really well on a long action. I have a stiff neck so I mount my scopes further back than most.

The SWFA is also a great scope. This is one of my favorite squirrel scopes. The reticle is great on a rimfire. Between playing at longer ranges with the Christmas tree, the inverted German 4 with a dot for putting on a squirrels head in a tree top, all that and AO too. This is a good scope. The glass is not the quality of the European makers but worth every penny.

Micky
I want to thank everyone for the replies. The scope is going on a lightweight 6.5x55 build and I will be using it here in Maine for whitetails and bear. Like Micky I mount my scopes further back then most! All my shots are in the thick stuff at up close and personal ranges. An peep sight would be perfect but bad eyes and a cornea transplant ended my open sight days many years ago. When I was younger a straight 4x with a post was all I ever used but now the 6x is my favorite.

I am still gathering parts for the rifle build so the scope purchase will be a ways out. I have a couple older Leupolds 6x36 scopes and a Leupold 4x32 on the shelf and may use one of them. I really like that Zeiss Diatal but am afraid it most likely wont work for me on a long action. I really like the looks of the Kaps and Meopta and might go that way.
They are both top flight. The Kaps is larger and heavier than a Meopta Meopro. I have not handled a Meopta Artemis. The glass is supposed to be the same. Since they are both very nice, you might want to pick the reticle you like the most and get that.

If you ever stumble across a Kahles 6x, buy it. It’s the best of them all that I have seen.
Docter Optic ( now Noblex)
Burris Signature
Nikon pre-Monarch
Kahles
IOR Valdada
Weaver Classic ( Japan -made, click adjustments), or a Weaver K6-1 MICRO TRAC ( friction adjustments)

and don't laugh,...Bushnell Banner or Scopechief IV. They are very bright with very good resolution.

If you want a "post" reticle, look for a #1 reticle.
Originally Posted by Trappererick
I want to thank everyone for the replies. The scope is going on a lightweight 6.5x55 build and I will be using it here in Maine for whitetails and bear. Like Micky I mount my scopes further back then most! All my shots are in the thick stuff at up close and personal ranges. An peep sight would be perfect but bad eyes and a cornea transplant ended my open sight days many years ago. When I was younger a straight 4x with a post was all I ever used but now the 6x is my favorite.

I am still gathering parts for the rifle build so the scope purchase will be a ways out. I have a couple older Leupolds 6x36 scopes and a Leupold 4x32 on the shelf and may use one of them. I really like that Zeiss Diatal but am afraid it most likely wont work for me on a long action. I really like the looks of the Kaps and Meopta and might go that way.

Focusing on these bold comments, I would recommend you consider the Leupold 6x42mm if you're not brand averse. More specifically, I recommend you look on the used market for one with a heavy duplex. They're not common but they occasionally pop up.

While this is not exactly a post reticle in the sense you mention, the bold, heavy duplex gives you the quick and low light reticle acquisition. Also, this scope has good tube length for mounting flexibility along with over 4" of eye relief (4.4" I believe). This would definitely help with your mounting if you normally mount your scopes quite a bit aft.
IMO, best value for the dollar.

The S&B is really good too. For a 1” tube it is heavy and has a longer body. Optics are what anyone should expect from S&B, brilliant. You mentioned mounting optics further back. I have mine on a Win 70 XTR 6.5x55 featherweight. The body length on the long action works really well.

My favorite 6x is a Kahles. Finding one is really tough though. Size and weight are great and the glass is the best to my eye.
SWFA SS series...
I've got a Doctor Classic with an A7 with a 26mm tube and a Meopta with a number four reticle.
You all are gonna laugh at this but I bought a used rifle a while back that had a Japanese straight 6X tasco on it. It's one of the brightest, clearest scopes I have, holds zero and has taken a beating on a truck gun.
Originally Posted by beretzs

Beretz, (and any others here) have you done business with these folks before and if so were you satisfied with their service and delivery?

Thank you.
S&B 6x42 PMII on a Fieldcraft 6.5 CM came through again last weekend. I do love that scope/rifle combo.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Houston_2

Beretz, (and any others here) have you done business with these folks before and if so were you satisfied with their service and delivery?

Thank you.

I've ordered a S&B Klassic 6x42 from them in the past and was pleased with both the scope and their service. It did take quite a while to receive the scope. I'm not sure that they keep much of an inventory on hand for the S&B's. They make note on most of them that there will be a delay on shipping.
Great pic and nice buck J!
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
S&B 6x42 PMII on a Fieldcraft 6.5 CM came through again last weekend. I do love that scope/rifle combo.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Houston_2

Thank you.

I've ordered a S&B Klassic 6x42 from them in the past and was pleased with both the scope and their service. It did take quite a while to receive the scope. I'm not sure that they keep much of an inventory on hand for the S&B's. They make note on most of them that there will be a delay on shipping.

LIKE!!
The Leupold 6x42 used to be my favorite scope until I bought a Kahles 6x42 with the #4 reticle. I mounted it on my Steyr-Mannlicher Model M Professional. The perfect one rifle for anything in North America
[Linked Image from ]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I like the Meopta that's on my backup/loaner 6.5 man bun. The glass doesn't suck early/late.
S&B, Meopta, Kahles
© 24hourcampfire