Home
We live on a lake and use binos to check stuff out from our living room window. I had a guest drop our old Pentax porro prism 10x and broke the eyepiece. We’ll need a replacement. Not looking to hunt with the replacement and really enjoyed the old dog legs. I am not up to speed with current offerings & availability and would enjoy any comments.

Budget: Sub $250
I use sightron blue sky 8x32 as my truck & football binoculars & like them quite a bit. I’m pretty sure you could drop them a few times without incident, Since you aren’t carrying them you could maybe go up to a bigger 12x, Doug at CameralandNY could probably make a good suggestion.
I bought one of those. Using some Amazon points it was about $150. Good alternative to the old standby Yosemite 6x30. Have worn it a few times in the woods and it’s not a burden around my neck.
Call Doug at Cameraland problem solved.
If you can add $49 to your budget, I'd bet these might be worth a look, and undoubtedly Doug can price match:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1470787-REG/meopta_653500_8x42_optika_hd_binocular.html
Take a look at Nikons like their Prostaff 3s.
Most of us have roof prism binoculars for walking around because they are lighter and trimmer, however dollar for dollar if weight isn't a consideration, the porro prism binoculars will give you a better image for less money. Our cottage binoculars are the 10x50 porro prisms and are somewhat expendable if the company's 5 year old drops them. I'm not about to leave my roof prism Leica's out on the coffee table in harms way.
I have some Vanguard Endeavor10X42 ED binos I'll be listing in the classifieds soon if you're interested.
These have been on my porch for a few years. They've been rained on, snowed on, seen high humidity, 100+ temps and 0 degree. They have never left my porch.

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Waterproof-Fogproof-Porro-Binocular/dp/B07L6D4LQF
A 7x50 Swift boat bino I paid $136 for at a membership store in 1976 still gets a lot of use around my house. Can’t believe I used to walk around in the woods with it around my neck on a narrow strap😱

The case crumbled about 20 years ago.
Vortex Diamondbacks,have had a pair for 8 years, good budget binos. son bought a pair several years ago, left them on the bumper of his truck and ended up backing over them. No problem,packaged them up sent them to Vortex and within a month or so he had a new pair along with a new new harness and chest pak.
Originally Posted by spence1875
Call Doug at Cameraland problem solved.

As a long standing supporting vendor on this forum it would be our pleasure to discuss options and special opportunities with you. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, if you have a few minutes
If they will stay around the house and since you like to older porro prism Pentax, you can improve on that level of performance at about half your budget with a Nikon Aculon,
Originally Posted by SteveC99
If they will stay around the house and since you like to older porro prism Pentax, you can improve on that level of performance at about half your budget with a Nikon Aculon,

I have had a set of those for years on the porch also, but 8x42. They will suck in moisture and fog.
I've got some Bushnell Trophy 10x42s that are decent. You can find them on sale for <$100. I think the Steiner roof prisms are also decent for the the $, although they might be a little over your target.
Vortex Diamondback 10x40 is our main 'house binos'.
Great suggestions!

I’ll look up the suggestions but was additionally surprised to see a Meopta at $299. The most important thing these will do, this time of year, is allow me to check out my tip-ups from the living room 😜

Thanks all!
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
The most important thing these will do, this time of year, is allow me to check out my tip-ups from the living room 😜

I knew there was more to this... grin
If going roofs my only 'must' (for me) is that they are Dielectric coated. Something like the Celestron Trail seeker is right in your range.

That Sightron Sii 8x32 gets high praise, they have been around a while, but it isn't dielectric- but you can find them for around $150ish if you look. I don't see wanting a 10x for around the house.

Truthfully the $100 pair of porro Kowa 6x30 are fully multicoated and would probably make you very happy.
Originally Posted by Mwbyler
Vortex Diamondbacks,have had a pair for 8 years, good budget binos. son bought a pair several years ago, left them on the bumper of his truck and ended up backing over them. No problem,packaged them up sent them to Vortex and within a month or so he had a new pair along with a new new harness and chest pak.

Yep. and whatever you do don't compare them to "high dollar" glass. It will ruin the "Swaro-coolaid".
I bought two of these Leupold Timberlines this Christmas for my wife and I to each have a permanent truck bino. I am totally spoiled by my Swaros and Leicas but for 110 bucks on this special these are fine for the purposes you spoke of. And they come with a harness pouch. I took mine on a couple hikes and they were OK. And they carry the standard Leupold lifetime guarantee.
Leupold Timberline special at Dunn's

Good luck with your search,
Rex
Theron 8x32's have been my home binos for years after watching a friend handle my Leicas all the wrong way.
Diamondbacks first gen on sale for $125 or so
Don’t think they can be beat for anywhere near the money
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2420121029
I think mine are 2nd gen. The kids got them for me for Christmas. First thing I noticed was the good color rendition while watching birds on the feeder. My bino needs are simple, and these work very well, Vortex or not. I bought the Blue Sky 8x32 to cut weight while hunting, but without doing a formal comparison, the DB’s view is a bit better, I think.
"I think mine are 2nd gen. The kids got them for me for Christmas. First thing I noticed was the good color rendition while watching birds on the feeder. My bino needs are simple, and these work very well, Vortex or not. I bought the Blue Sky 8x32 to cut weight while hunting, but without doing a formal comparison, the DB’s view is a bit better, I think."

If you get a chance let us know how the DB and Big Sky compare. I am interested. Thanks.
© 24hourcampfire