Home
What's the HD designation mean? And is it any better than the original Vari X-3?
I think you mean VX3
Vari-X III
VX-III
VX-3
VX-3i

That's the order in which Leupold offered them. They are each different in at least one way or another.

The VX-3HD is yet another iteration and another entirely different series.
Within Vari-X III there are really old ones with friction adjustments and single lens coatings, old ones with click adjustments and single lens coatings, and later ones with click adjustments and Multicoat 4. I own examples of all three.
HD stands for High Definition Lens System. Theres another pretty recent post on opinions on how all the various versions they are different.
Originally Posted by Taconic11
What's the HD designation mean? And is it any better than the original Vari X-3?

Vari-X III
VX-III
VX-3
VX-3i
VX-3HD

Five different generations and as mathman mentions variations within the generations. So where do you want us to start.....?
For Leulold's sake, it's too bad it doesn't stand for and deliver on Heavy Duty.
The glass is certainly better than the old Vari-X-III, but mechanically the VX-3HD may not be better, and some would say it's not as good.
the old vari-x iii will grow in value. IMO
I agree with you. That's exactly my thought about the vari-x iii too.
I agree with you. That's exactly my thought about the vari-x iii too.
The use of “HD” in the optics world has become almost meaningless it seems! I’m not saying the new VX3HD isn’t a step up optically, but when every company can use the term “HD” and there is no set meaning, it kind of loses its value.
After scouring the Leupold website, I think their use of HD is pure marketing. It definitely is not ED glass. I don't think Leupold uses ED glass in any of their offerings so they use HD, which doesn't really mean anything. Or certainly nothing that is explained at their site. If someone finds something about that, post it here so we can get educated.
Originally Posted by RStien321
The use of “HD” in the optics world has become almost meaningless it seems! I’m not saying the new VX3HD isn’t a step up optically, but when every company can use the term “HD” and there is no set meaning, it kind of loses its value.

Just like "aircraft aluminum " biggest fallacy in the industry
© 24hourcampfire