Home
My 84 year old father-in-law says he can’t shoot with a scope plex reticle any longer. He has an eye issue, some type of astigmatism, that causes him to see wavy lines. He’s looking for some type of replacement optics that he can use on a Rem 700 .222 for varminting out to 150 yards or so. Mainly ‘chucks in the field.

We haven’t tried a target dot reticle yet. Also considering an illuminated optic of some type. Some magnification (3-4x) would be beneficial.

What are your ideas?
Have him look thru that new Razor to see if a dot style will work…😀
Yep - good plan Dave. Will try that one out for the illumination. And will try the 2-10 LH with G4. And may try a red dot optic of some type if I can figure out mounting on a 700 action
I'd go to a store that sells scopes with illuminated red dots and see if you can find one that works fro him. He'll probably appreciate good magnification.
An illuminated reticle, especially one that can’t be turned down very low as needed, might make matters worse. This is one time when going to a well-stocked brick and mortar shop might be worth the extra cost, assuming you can find one that doesn’t only have low and mid-grade stuff. I’d also look into scopes with a wide diopter adjustment range and parallax adjustment too for maximum control. Might be that his current scope is dated, with less adjustability than current ones. I recently replaced a Vari-X IIc on my Hornet because it no longer focused well for me.

There are some German 4s with fine center sections, and the Tract T-Plex is similar, but the heavy sections come in close to the center. Eliminating the top post might help. There are prism sights with etched dots in the middle, up to 5x I believe. Many have reticles that are kind of busy, but worth a look.

Good luck.
The hands down best scope for astigmatism is called 'The Lasik'
I'm not sure that a red dot something would be the cure all either. While I've never been clinically diagnosed, I suspect an astigmatism is happening with my eyes too because the red dot in my RMR looks more like the shape of the state of Michigan than it does a perfectly round red dot. When I take a picture through the RMR, surprise the picture shows it perfectly round again.
Kev,

Have you tried adjusting the ocular side of the scope while he's looking through it? I find that 95% of the people I know never adjusted it to their eyes. If the reticle is fuzzy, this one thing will fix that. I'll bet that works.

If not, I'll loan you my Athlos 2-12 illuminated MI/MIL

And/or my SWFA 106 HD (also illuminated). Both have great reticles.
Ophthalmologist- No scope can fix bad eye problems!
Lots of good input here. Thanks gents.
Burris #4 reticle with illuminated dot would be a good one. I have one and I like it.
© 24hourcampfire