Home
Does how much you spend on a rifle influence how much you spend on the optic, and do you find the ration changes as the cost of the rifle goes up?

$1200 on the rifle, what's the minimum you'll spend on optics?

$3000 for the rifle, will you budget more for a nicer scope?

$6000 for the rifle, have you already peaked on scope performance with your choice for the $3000 rifle or will you seek something even more "premium"?

I'm throwing out these numbers as examples, this could also apply to whatever floats your boat like say a trio comprised of a $300 (Ruger American), $700 (Tikka), $1400 (Custom 700)

It depends on the rifle, and its use. I have ACOG's that are worth as much (if not more) than the AR's they are on, but also have some cheaper red dots on budget builds. On hunting rifles, its generally around 50-75% of the rifle, but once again, it really depends. On target rifles, prices are fairly close.
If I had a $3000 budget, I’d put a $2000 scope on a $1000 rifle.
The cost of the rifle doesn’t factor in how much I’ll pay for a scope.

I buy scopes that have the feature set needed for the application.

I have $2500 scopes on $900 rifles, $1000 scopes on $3000 rifles, and a $500 scope on $1800 rifle.
I mostly have 500.00 junkie Leupolds
Originally Posted by RHutch

I have $2500 scopes on $900 rifles, $1000 scopes on $3000 rifles, and a $500 scope on $1800 rifle.

The correct answer!
I buy scopes that are proven to be good...doesn't have to be expensive. Honestly doubt I could see a difference between a $400 and $2500 scope. And also doubt it's 6 times as good or as reliable.

Burris ff2 or mid range vortex or Leupold for me. Never spent more than about $250.

How good does it have to be to shoot deer at 200 yards?

I used to think this way, too....at least, until I started using nice glass.

That being said, for probably 90% of hunters out there, a $250 scope is more than they would ever need in the field.

This, but on average I would say that the ratio ends up being about 1:1.

Same.
I try and stick to a certian glass qaulity that seems to be ideal for my eye's. I don't worry to much about what they are sitting on. having said that my budget is usually in the 600-700 dollar range for scopes and maybe one and a half to two times that for the rifle. I prefer Trijicon's, Swaro's (1in). and some Leupy's or Vortex tossed in for good measure.
I just paid 1900.00 for a new bolt action, I’ll spend 500-700 on the scope .
Me, I don't usually buy a scope to match a rifle, per se. And I move scopes around a lot. So I may have a $500 scope on a $2500 rifle one day, and a $3k scope on a $1000 rifle the next.

It's just a hobby.
i shoot a custom Ruger # 1 with a Nightforce scope with custom Picantinny mnts for the last 10 - 15 years , glad i don`t have to pay for it now. probably have about $1500.00 rifle / $1500.00 scope &mnts. and this combo is worth every penny. >> in todays prices probably would have cost me $1000.00 - $2000.00 more for this combo , glad i built 2 of these #1`s and gave my son the same other rifle.
All over the map with pretty good success along the way.
Originally Posted by EdM
All over the map with pretty good success along the way.

Yep 👍
I just don't buy cheap scopes anymore, no matter what it's going on. If a scope doesn't have an adjustable objective to get rid of parallax, then I don't buy it. That automatically rules out a lot of scopes for me. It's also the reason I have stopped buying new rifles. Every time I did, I would have to spend another 5-700 dollars on top of it.
Originally Posted by InternetGuru
Does how much you spend on a rifle influence how much you spend on the optic, and do you find the ration changes as the cost of the rifle goes up?

$6000 for the rifle, have you already peaked on scope performance with your choice for the $3000 rifle or will you seek something even more "premium"?

I'm throwing out these numbers as examples, this could also apply to whatever floats your boat like say a trio comprised of a $300 (Ruger American), $700 (Tikka), $1400 (Custom 700)

I’m a firm believer that one should spend at least as much on the scope as the rifle. Among the very high end rifles, this is not possible, of course. In any event, the scope should be fit for purpose.

Examples.
On my Ruger 1v .223 Win I use a S&B 4-16x50 with mil dot reticle.
On my Anschutz .17 HMR I use a S&B 2.5-10x56 number nine reticle.
On my Vudoo .22lr I use a Kahles 5-25x56 MOA scope for targets etc.
on my Blaser R93 257 Wby magnum I I use S&B 3-12x50 with number nine reticle.

I have other rifles, but you get the idea.
My LRHS/LRTS scopes cost $649 and $749 when cameraland and GAP blew them out. They are on rifles that cost from $300 to $3000......

My ratio is in the 2.0 - 2.5 minimum range. Most I ever spent on a scope is ~ $350
Originally Posted by Jason280
It depends on the rifle, and its use. I have ACOG's that are worth as much (if not more) than the AR's they are on, but also have some cheaper red dots on budget builds. On hunting rifles, its generally around 50-75% of the rifle, but once again, it really depends. On target rifles, prices are fairly close.

Exactly this^^. It totally depends on what the rifle is going to be used for. Most of my "go to" hunting rifles wear cheap azzed Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle scopes. That scope works for about 90% of my hunting needs. If I draw a my "long range" tag, I'll pull out the CTR with Nightforce.. Ar's wear scopes that cost $350.00, except for one AR10 6.5CM. It has a NF NXS on top...
Pretty much the same scopes on all our rifles. With the exception of a couple Leupolds and Night Forces. This could change a little bit this year depending on what Tract comes out with.
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Pretty much the same scopes on all our rifles. With the exception of a couple Leupolds and Night Forces. This could change a little bit this year depending on what Tract comes out with.

1-18-22 they are announcing a new 30mm hunt series scope.

For the record I’ve killed all my animals with a sub $500, and most of those with sub $300 scopes, leupolds and (2) ziess conquest, (1) Ol school Swarovski I got for $250. Couple dump truck loads of meat with open sights (muzzleloaders) and bows.
$300 used on a $1500 tweaked 416 Rem. M70.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

No influence at all. I buy a rifle for a purpose or set of purposes and I scope it appropriately for those purposes. In my case my most expensive rifle is my lightest rifle. I'm not hamstringing it with a 2 pound or heavier scope. It has a nice 12 ounce Leupold 2.5-8X in Talley 1 piece aluminum mounts. I'm spending my money for portability. The accuracy is way better than I can use regardless of gun weight in the area I hunt.

Seems like my applications call for $400 - $800 scopes no matter what the rifle is.

Tom
Originally Posted by EdM

Show off!!! Haha
Never really thought about it.
Most rifles bought used.
Most scopes bought new.
Avg is 1.5 -2x.
Originally Posted by EdM

And that, Sir, nicely sums it all up. I suspect every animal I've ever shot would be just as dead with a $300 scope. blush smile
No set ratio, that guarantees you'll spend unnecessary money to meet an arbitrary number.

The rifle is chose for a purpose and the glass is chose for a purpose. I have mounted glass costing 10% of the rifle, I have mounted glass costing 250% of the rifle, both examples have pleased me by serving their purpose.
No set number.

I buy a rifle I like, scope I like but don't "pair" them to cost.

Bergara with a Leupold
Ruger with Nikon
Montana with SWFA
No set ratio in my set ups. More application driven and what I can make work the best with what I already have.
I try to select both with the task in mind, not the price particularly. Not cheap, but not wasteful either.
Originally Posted by sidepass
Originally Posted by Kaleb

1-18-22 they are announcing a new 30mm hunt series scope.

I believe I’ll have to try one too. A few ounces heavier than I use now but I didn’t expect it to be any lighter or cheaper.
In the 90's my guide in South Africa advised the scope should cost twice as much as the rifle. The gist of this is that scope malfunctions were at the top of the list as to problems with rifles on Safaris and to not go cheap on a scope that could ruin a $25,000 and up hunting trip of a lifetime. He said all factory rifles were capable of adequate accuracy necessary for practical hunting in Africa and very rarely malfunctioned, if at all, in the field. So, in his mind focusing on the scope reliability and being able to see your target with the most precision was most important.

Today, scopes are much more reliable and choice is more of a preference. A $200 Burris will most likely serve your hunting needs adequately and you will most likely not miss any shot due to the scope versus a $2,000 plus Alpha scope. The problem is, once you compare Alpha glass to lesser glass, you are screwed and will end up wanting to upgrade.
As a border line looney, I said to myself that I’m going to get rid of the low end guns because I can only use one at a time anyway. I’d build up what I’m going to use for the rifle first. Then I’d mount a nice yet functional, but not exorbitantly expensive scope on it to use for a year or two. Then that scope would come off and go onto a 10/22 as an example. Then I’d find the best upper end scope for my use and that would finish that rifle. I’ve long since forgotten what I’ve paid for a Euro variable Zeiss or Swarovski, but oh the clarity, resolution and light gathering ability of those scopes pleases me when ever I look through them. It has never been an all or none process for me, it is a work in progress spanning a few years.
no number either but it is winding up about a 1 to1 ratio 1K rifle/1K scope
Kind of a moving target for me. Usually the rifle ends up as the higher number because of upgrades.
Originally Posted by hanco
I mostly have 500.00 junkie Leupolds

I have a lot of $300 junkie Leupolds still.
Every deer I’ve killed in the last 10 years has been with a Leupold that cost under $400 used. The only exception was with a Zeiss conquest that cost $250 used. Lots of old azz 3-9x and 2.5-8x and 1.5-5x. I didn’t know you couldn’t kill a deer with one til I joined the ‘fire.
A used $200 Vari-X-III 3.5-010x I bought at a pawn shop in Midland Texas in 1996. It seemed to have worked on my old FN Mauser 30-06 a few years ago.

I've got $400 rifles and $2500 rifles and most of my scopes are in the $200-$450 range. If you like to spend more money on glass and it makes you feel good and does the job I have no problem with that. Lots of guys are overscoped with blister pack Bushnells in my experience. But when it comes to looneys like the guys who inhabit this site, anything is going to work 99% of the time regardless of what we choose because we know what we are doing....

When I went to Africa I took a $400 B&L 4200 2.5 x 10 and a back up Leupold 3.5 x 10 in QC rings that I think I picked up for $275 and it was a good thing I did. Bent the scope tube in the back of the truck on the B&L and had to mount my back up scope and went back to hunting... I'm pretty rough on my rifles when I hunt- besides being a klutz at times, I also don't fear getting down and crawling on rough ground, rocks, or whatever is in my way to sneak up on a deer, elk, bear, etc.... and I don't want to worry about my rifle, scope, or other things like expensive clothing while doing it. I've replaced a couple scopes because of this and refinished a couple rifles, but buying a more expensive scope wouldn't have made much difference in the outcome, so I stay with what brung me....

I must say, however, that I have had a hankering for a SWFA 3-15 or a Bushnell LHRS to put on my new 26 Nosler one of these days... I may have to break my own rules soon.... wink

Bob
Originally Posted by Tesoro

The correct answer!

I don’t know if I could say it any better than this. I do know that my budget for scopes has doubled or tripled in the past 5 years, more so than my rifles (but that may change soon with one big rifle purchase possibly). I used to think spending $2,000 for a scope was absolutely insane, but then I started long range shooting and finding limitations of scopes quickly - poor resolution, poor tracking, haze in certain lighting conditions, etc. I now run a ~$2,000 Steiner T5xi on a $900 Tikka CTR. Worth every penny, and I would still spend more.

What I have really found though is that my “time value of money” has greatly changed. For years I could hunt 20 or 30 times in a season with a $200 S&W I-Bolt 30-06 with a Burris FF2 3.5-10x50mm with LRS (a killer deal on a closeout I snagged from Natchez I believe for $219 or something silly). I laid down a fair number of deer, coyotes, and armadillos with that setup, but found some limitations at first and last light. Did not score on what would probably have been the largest deer of my life at 1 minute into legal shooting light with scope ring zoomed too high, very stiff to turn due to extreme cold, glass fogged because of cold weather. All at 30 yards and less than 10 seconds. Now I only get to hunt 2 to 4 times a season so my gear has gotten more reliable (and expensive). Browning X-Bolt stainless fluted 30-06 with a Leupold VX6 3-18x44mm with Alumina caps. So a $1,500 scope on a $1000 rifle. And I would have no problems upgrading the scope, Excited to see what comes out in 2022. I am really hoping Leica listened to customers about their Amplus 6 3-18x and put a hunting reticle in it instead of a christmas tree. I want it to be light above all, bought a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x but returned it as it totally messed up the balance and feel of the rifle I tried it on. Embarrassed to say what it was, but an elephant riding a tricycle would be a good description of the setup. Since then weight has become a critical factor in all future scope purchases.
I’ve never understood the ratio concept for determining what you should spend on a scope for a rifle. Buy good scopes, buy good rifles. I’d still be happy with a swfa 6x or 3-9 on a very expensive rifle. I haven’t seen another scope that offers more for me for hunting purposes at any price, considering tracking/zero retention, reticle design, and weight.
My used $260 300 Weatherby has. $1,000 Zeiss HD5 that makes an effective combo for elk at longer ranges. My $200 Ruger bolt 22 wears the Leupold Vari-X 3 1.75-6 x32 that used to be on my 375H&H probably triple the rifle price. More of a functional choice than a price ratio. I have a few scopes on kids & grandkids rifles that didn’t have a home after an upgrade. Never owned a $2,000 scope but haven’t needed one yet. Primary hunting rifle cost $179 in 1977 has worn 7 different scopes in 45 years may get another one this year.
Originally Posted by Teal
No set number.

I buy a rifle I like, scope I like but don't "pair" them to cost.

Bergara with a Leupold
Ruger with Nikon
Montana with SWFA

That's my outlook on it too. My rifles have specific purposes and I scope them accordingly. Big game rifles get 2-8Xs or 3-10Xs, sometimes 3-12X. Varmint rifles are outfitted with 6-20X or 6-24X, or maybe a 5-20X in one case. I like very accurate rimfires fo paper punching and mine have 3-15X Super Slams on them. My .375 Big Bore is set up with aperture sights and my muzzle loader wears a 1.5-5X.

I prefer simpler reticles, so there are a couple of varmint type BDC reticles, and everything else is a plain old duplex. I find complex reticles somewhat distracting.
On the rifle I use most, I currently have a scope that costs $800 and the rifle cost $1500. I’ve never wished for more rifle but I’ve often wished for more scope.
depends on which gun

Have a cheap RAR with a 2k scope

Have some $1500 rifles with 3k - 4k optic.

They all shoot better than I could ever live up to.

Have a 1022 with a $250 scope that shoots great too.

I'd rather have a cheap gun and put all the money in the optics...
According to my spreadsheet..

$5800 over 8 rifles or average $725
And 1/4 of total cost.

Fixed scopes only
Kahles: 4x36, 6x42, 8x50, 10x50
S&B: 10x42 PMII, 10x42 PMII
Leupold: 2,5x20 & 16x40
Aimpoint: Micro H-2
This is a question I'd ask myself, if I had insomnia at 3 AM and was sitting on the toilet constipated, with nothing around to read at the time....

just last night, before I went to bed... I put on a Burris scope I picked up for $150 at our local Bi Mart on a Howa Mini in 223, in a set of Weaver Steel rings.... after taking the other scope off of the rifle. I have to admit, cost NEVER crossed my mind about any of it... and tightened it down with a Quarter, and a T 15 Screw Driver I paid $2.00 for at Ace Hardware like a couple of years ago. If truth be known. I feel like such a cheap ass....
You are high rolling.... WTF would have used a 'Quarter', when a nickle would have worked cheaper.....
Originally Posted by huntsman22
You are high rolling.... WTF would have used a 'Quarter', when a nickle would have worked cheaper.....

They have different torque ratings
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
I buy scopes that are proven to be good...doesn't have to be expensive. Honestly doubt I could see a difference between a $400 and $2500 scope. And also doubt it's 6 times as good or as reliable.

Burris ff2 or mid range vortex or Leupold for me. Never spent more than about $250.

Not that good since you can easily shoot a deer at 200 with iron sights
Originally Posted by cotis
Originally Posted by Tesoro

The correct answer!

I don’t know if I could say it any better than this. I do know that my budget for scopes has doubled or tripled in the past 5 years, more so than my rifles (but that may change soon with one big rifle purchase possibly). I used to think spending $2,000 for a scope was absolutely insane, but then I started long range shooting and finding limitations of scopes quickly - poor resolution, poor tracking, haze in certain lighting conditions, etc. I now run a ~$2,000 Steiner T5xi on a $900 Tikka CTR. Worth every penny, and I would still spend more.

What I have really found though is that my “time value of money” has greatly changed. For years I could hunt 20 or 30 times in a season with a $200 S&W I-Bolt 30-06 with a Burris FF2 3.5-10x50mm with LRS (a killer deal on a closeout I snagged from Natchez I believe for $219 or something silly). I laid down a fair number of deer, coyotes, and armadillos with that setup, but found some limitations at first and last light. Did not score on what would probably have been the largest deer of my life at 1 minute into legal shooting light with scope ring zoomed too high, very stiff to turn due to extreme cold, glass fogged because of cold weather. All at 30 yards and less than 10 seconds. Now I only get to hunt 2 to 4 times a season so my gear has gotten more reliable (and expensive). Browning X-Bolt stainless fluted 30-06 with a Leupold VX6 3-18x44mm with Alumina caps. So a $1,500 scope on a $1000 rifle. And I would have no problems upgrading the scope, Excited to see what comes out in 2022. I am really hoping Leica listened to customers about their Amplus 6 3-18x and put a hunting reticle in it instead of a christmas tree. I want it to be light above all, bought a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x but returned it as it totally messed up the balance and feel of the rifle I tried it on. Embarrassed to say what it was, but an elephant riding a tricycle would be a good description of the setup. Since then weight has become a critical factor in all future scope purchases.

30 yards point and shoot down the barrel would have killed that deer stone dead. going anywhere with a scope on max is not smart. For extra X you always have time to turn it up. You never have time to turn em down.

Free lessons but you bought the more expensive ones. Just wanted to point that out because even with an expensive scope things can happen. Close deer doesn't take much. Always go with the lowest power setting. Always return it to such.
Originally Posted by Sheister
I've got $400 rifles and $2500 rifles and most of my scopes are in the $200-$450 range. If you like to spend more money on glass and it makes you feel good and does the job I have no problem with that. Lots of guys are overscoped with blister pack Bushnells in my experience. But when it comes to looneys like the guys who inhabit this site, anything is going to work 99% of the time regardless of what we choose because we know what we are doing....

When I went to Africa I took a $400 B&L 4200 2.5 x 10 and a back up Leupold 3.5 x 10 in QC rings that I think I picked up for $275 and it was a good thing I did. Bent the scope tube in the back of the truck on the B&L and had to mount my back up scope and went back to hunting... I'm pretty rough on my rifles when I hunt- besides being a klutz at times, I also don't fear getting down and crawling on rough ground, rocks, or whatever is in my way to sneak up on a deer, elk, bear, etc.... and I don't want to worry about my rifle, scope, or other things like expensive clothing while doing it. I've replaced a couple scopes because of this and refinished a couple rifles, but buying a more expensive scope wouldn't have made much difference in the outcome, so I stay with what brung me....

I must say, however, that I have had a hankering for a SWFA 3-15 or a Bushnell LHRS to put on my new 26 Nosler one of these days... I may have to break my own rules soon.... wink

Bob

Good post Bob.
Originally Posted by Seafire
This is a question I'd ask myself, if I had insomnia at 3 AM and was sitting on the toilet constipated, with nothing around to read at the time....

just last night, before I went to bed... I put on a Burris scope I picked up for $150 at our local Bi Mart on a Howa Mini in 223, in a set of Weaver Steel rings.... after taking the other scope off of the rifle. I have to admit, cost NEVER crossed my mind about any of it... and tightened it down with a Quarter, and a T 15 Screw Driver I paid $2.00 for at Ace Hardware like a couple of years ago. If truth be known. I feel like such a cheap ass....

Now the real truth comes out.
Over the years, I have learned from my betters that when considering either a rifle or a scope, one should never consider the cost. The only way to go is to acquire the best possible of either without consideration of cost. If one must have some dollar figure upon which to operate, the determining factor should be which is the most expensive. I think that pretty well covers the position of the experts on the matter.
I cannot afford -or- justify a $1800 scope on all my rifles. I have nightforce on a couple and everywhere inbetween on guns I just consider toys. No big deal if a scope dies while banging steel on a Saturday. It's a big deal if a scope dies while I'm on a hunt I've waited for all year or longer.
Originally Posted by SKane

Same.

Right, I agree.
Interesting conversation, I hunt a lot usually 3 or more days a week with rifles from October to April. Much of it off a motorcycle bouncing around the desert. I still haven't had a scope fail and I use the least expensive scope to get the job done.

My AR has a $150 Konus Pro 1.5-6x40 with a circle dot reticle for fast target acquisition on called coyotes

My Mini Howa wears a 1.5-6x40 Meopta Artimes

My open country Savage in 20 Practical has an Athlon 2-12x

My drilling wears a Weaver K-1.5 a far better scope in it's application than the Hensoldt that came on it.

I think what you actually can use and works for you is far more important than the cost.

I will definitely go for a nicer rifle, because the better the rifle the better the target. In my opinion.
I will spend $4000 on a scope if spend $3000 on a rifle
I've heard arguments that it is far wiser to spend way more on your binoculars/ spotting scope than the "aiming device" on the rifle. That is likely true in many cases. For me I carry around a "memory snapshot" of the sight picture just before the shot breaks. When it is bright and super sharp that is a trophy of the hunting experience I keep with me.
I'll spend and buy the best I can possibly afford and then spend more. In my mind what's the use to have an accurate rifle if I can't see the target accurately.
there shouldn't be a ratio. if the optic sucks it doesn't matter if the gun cost 10k. I could easily see putting a $1000 zeiss v4 on a $399 ruger american. rather look at the intended use. also look at how often you use that gun. or a $300 elite 4200 on a custom rifle that cost 3k. there might be a use where that is just fine too.
Rifle
Tikka T3X CTR 223 $900
Trigger spring kit $20
McMillan Game Warden stock $750
Bed and pillar materials $20
MT rail $60
TPS rings $90
$1940

Scope
Nightforce NSX 5.5-22x50
$1800

Honestly, it has more to do with accuracy. Really accurate rifles rate really good scopes. A $3000 rifle that shoots 1.5 MOA, meh. Might as well stick a Leupold on that one. whistle

I haven’t spent less than ~ $800 on a scope for a bolt action rifle in a looooong time.
My go to hunting rifle is a Tikka T3 lite w/ a SWFA 3-9. It is perfect for my use and are about equal in price.

My ARs wear Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 and an Aimpoint Micro H-2. The scopes cost about 1/2 the price of the rifles.

mike r
Funny...... start buying ocean-capable boats and gear for them, and suddenly, even really nice scopes don’t seem so expensive anymore! Perspectives.... unless you are into it, you likely cannot BELIEVE how much the big outboards cost, for instance. Not that I’m out there spending $25k on a single motor, mind you. But $800 for a scope is like, ouch... $800 towards a boat issue is like, a Tuesday, lol...
According to my math, the average cost of my rifles go around $580.......

My optics are averaging $430 apiece.

I have too many of each.....9 bolt action rigs to choose from.
Hmmm.
Most of my hunting scopes are between $200-500 price point.
Burris, nikon, vortex, Meopta, tract, leupold.

Those rifles are between $300-1000
1 TC, 3 tikkas, 3 Rugers, 1 sauer, 1 kimber,
The most expensive I have right now is a $250 but, I had a Springfield Armory 6.5x-20x- 56mm on a Rem. 40x at one time. It was way more than $250. It depends a lot on what kind of shooting and hunting you do.
Tikka superlite at 750, bushnell lrhs at 966...
Originally Posted by Dre
Hmmm.

If I listed my inventory we would have several makes in common both rifle and optic.
I've never spent more than $400 on a scope of any kind. I never saw the need for it. I've bought Sightron, Clearidge, Bushnell Elites, Leupold and Burris. I've only had to return one Burris for repair. That was a 6X HBR target scope that I could not get the parallax out at 50 yds. It was fixed and returned. I competed in rimfire benchrest and had $3,500 custom rifles which had Sightron II 36X and Burris HBR 6X scopes, which cost then in the $200-$350 range. I competed very successfully against shooters shooting Nightforce, March and the Leupold Competition scopes. I wasn't so much concerned about optical perfection. All I needed to do was to be able to see the target and be able to resolve the scoring rings. What I was concerned about was the accuracy and ease of use of the adjustments. When I wanted to make a 1/16" correction (50 yds), I wanted the one click on the adjustments to give me that. My Sightron and Burris scoped did just that. I achieved Gold level status in the IR50/50 Hall of Fame, won the 2015 Unlimited Nationals and made the US team that competed in the 2011 World Championships using these scopes. I used them for over 10 years and never felt the need to change and never felt I was at any disadvantage. I wasn't out there bird watching, all I needed was to see the black rings on a white paper and a scope that could make and keep very minor but accurate adjustments, when needed. These scopes did just that.

As for hunting; I live in the NE and big game is typically shot at less than 100 yds. most under 50 yds. I don't need a $1,000 high magnification scope to do that. My 2-7 and 3-9 or 3x fixed scopes from Leupold, Bushnell (B&L) and Burris have been able to allow me to see and kill many a whitetail and none have failed, needed repair, or replacement. If people want to count the feathers on a chickadee while deer hunting, then yes I can understand spending thousands on a scope. Or if your type of hunting requires a high magnification range and ultra resolution then maybe. But, I see no sense to any rule of thumb that you should (or need to) spend more on your optics than on a rifle. If all you need to do is put the crosshairs behind a buck's shoulder and have the shot go there, then a $200-300 scope is more than capable of doing that regardless of what you paid for the rifle.
Originally Posted by SCgman1
Originally Posted by Dre
Hmmm.

If I listed my inventory we would have several makes in common both rifle and optic.

That’s not all my inventory, just saying how most of my scopes are half the price of my rifles vs double. Or what ever the “standard” should be
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Funny...... start buying ocean-capable boats and gear for them, and suddenly, even really nice scopes don’t seem so expensive anymore! Perspectives.... unless you are into it, you likely cannot BELIEVE how much the big outboards cost, for instance. Not that I’m out there spending $25k on a single motor, mind you. But $800 for a scope is like, ouch... $800 towards a boat issue is like, a Tuesday, lol...

After 20 years of maintenance, I sold my boat and slip and now I take a charter trip a couple times a year. I could buy a car with the savings, and the guide always knows where the fish are.
1:1 or better... if the rifle and my needs for it matters. Sometimes 2:1 Glass:Weapon

Cheap stuff like beater carbines... much much less. I am fond of the KonusPro on beaters.
© 24hourcampfire