Home
Pay attention, you jackwads - this may be confusing to some of you slow kids, so get a friend to help you with this lesson if you need to.

When referring to a scope it's a "3-9x40", which is pronounced "three to nine by forty". It is not a cotdam 3x9x40, or simply a 3x9. A 3x9 would be a fixed magnification at 3x with an objective of 9mm, about the diameter of a soda straw - probably not good for low-light hunting, BTW. 😉

Another example: a 4-15x50 is a "4 to 15 by 50". And so on, etc.

Just had to get that off my chest. Carry on, maggots!
Will bunch up some undies, but a good point just the same.
Dude climbs off the short bus and immediately starts correcting grammar
Originally Posted by BillyE

You got something to say, William?
3 to 9. 3-9. 3x9. Who cares, everyone knows what you're talking about.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Will bunch up some undies, but a good point just the same.

It'll only bunch up the undies of those types who would say something like "I seen that Lee-o-pold scope on your rifle".😄
I put a 3x9x40 scope on my .243 caliber rifle with two clips for the bullets.
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

Pretty sure he just did.
Just sayin’ .. laugh
What's a red dot with magnifier?
Originally Posted by 300_savage
I put a 3x9x40 scope on my .243 caliber rifle with two clips for the bullets.

Is them naner clips?
I dunno man I love a good 3x9 scope
What a douche bag
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555

Pretty sure he just did.
Just sayin’ .. laugh

Nah, he didn't have anything to say. Just babbling.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
What a douche bag

Sure you are.
I can see I hit a nerve with some of y'all. The truth sometimes burns strong, doesn't it.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
What a douche bag

Sure you are.

I was just seeing who would respond to that.

You’re exactly correct on your scope info.
Ya wanna get worked up about something, talk about acronyms.
Set him straight!
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Yep, nobody cares very much-though I occasionally get slightly annoyed when somebody lists a 12x26x56 scope for sale.

Also get a little annoyed when somebody says or writes "first-year anniversary," or "fifth-year anniversary." The "anni" in annversary means year, which is why until a few years age the common form was "first anniversary", or "fifth anniversary."

But objecting to any of this is like shoveling sand against an incoming tide.
We didnt all spend our youth devouring gun books and magazines like we were prepping for SAT's, so that might be a bit excessive to beat on someone over x's and dashes on scopes.
HOWEVER I was born with testes and didnt grow up playing with my sisters barbie dolls, so I sure as [bleep] dont have a rifle that 'wears' a scope or a rifle that is 'dressed' with x-brand 'furniture'.
My rifle dosent run I do.
And a mag is not a clip.
A caliber is the diameter of the friggin bore, or class of cartridges, and not used to designate a cartridge or chambering of a rifle.

oh, and while i'm at it, camouflage works the best for hunting other humans. Its not necessary for hunting animals as they see differently than we do.

Time to set some [bleep] straight for the new generation!
I use all of the correct wording, or try to.
But, nobody cares about your sandy hoochie being rubbed the wrong way.
Originally Posted by JackVliet

yeah but if you can dress or wear stuff on your rifles then before too long they will start assigning genders to them, and there will probably be more the two genders! just saying...
I just got me one of them Vortex Dime On Back 4/12+40 scopes offa the big brown truck today. I heard the Marine Core Rangers use them on their sniper guns. I'm sure it will keep em under a dime all day long.
Originally Posted by auk1124
I just got me one of them Vortex Dime On Back 4/12+40 scopes offa the big brown truck today. I heard the Marine Core Rangers use them on their sniper guns. I'm sure it will keep em under a dime all day long.

"If you do your part ".😄
Originally Posted by Ky221
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

I apologize for irritating the nerves of you ignorant mother ph ukkas
Originally Posted by Tesoro
We didnt all spend our youth devouring gun books and magazines like we were prepping for SAT's, so that might be a bit excessive to beat on someone over x's and dashes on scopes.

Do people prep for those?
Originally Posted by mathman

Do people prep for those?

The nerds did while we were out huntin'
Can't imagine what life must be like that a simple X in the place of a - or vice versa prompts a rant and name calling...

I suggest a psyche evaluation.
Vice versa, just saying. grin

You got me. Guess ya could go make a post about it.....seems to be the thing to do lately.

'are running them'......get it right......grin
Easy now people's going to get all kinds of upset after all they want an adjustable focus they don't give a s*** about a parallax adjustment
An 8 point in the East is a 4 point in the West...What is a Buck with busted off horns, but stubbs..

Is it an 8 Point or 8 Pointer?

What was the real tirty point Buck. a 30 Pointer?

Have to get this all correct and proper.

Even Winchester was confused...Early on it was the .30 gov't '06 then it was 30-06 SPRG....I mean Sprg for Springfield? Sheesh!!!!
Hard to keep all this straight and not say the wrong thing in the right company....

You got me. Guess ya could go make a post about it.....seems to be the thing to do lately.

Nah, I'm good. I managed to teach college algebra without needing psychoactive medications. grin
Originally Posted by ldholton
Easy now people's going to get all kinds of upset after all they want an adjustable focus they don't give a s*** about a parallax adjustment

Yeah when I twist the focus on the eye piece I can go from seeing two parallel sets of cross hairs to just a crisp one, and thats how you adjust to get rid of that parallax on the scope your rifle is wearing.
Come on man...."Eyepiece is "occular eyepiece"....
Originally Posted by battue
An 8 point in the East is a 4 point in the West...What is a Buck with busted off horns, but stubbs..

Is it an 8 Point or 8 Pointer?

What was the real tirty point Buck. a 30 Pointer?

Have to get this all correct and proper.

Even Winchester was confused...Early on it was the .30 gov't '06 then it was 30-06 SPRG....I mean Sprg for Springfield? Sheesh!!!!
Hard to keep all this straight and not say the wrong thing in the right company....

3 point
Well in Pa a spike is an 11 point....
I get it! Seen it too many times but, I just let it go.
Funny.
I was just venting earlier today how some of my tile subs say their Makita when really they mean grinder.
For f sale. Makita is a brand not a specific tool.
A bigger gripe are the guys that don’t have the sense God gave a walnut to put in a classified’s title what they’re exactly selling - “Leupold Scope For Sale” is not an ad I’m going to waste my time opening. “Leupold VX2 3x9x40 For Sale” would be an ad I’d open.

grin
Come on man...."Eyepiece is "occular eyepiece"....

Ocular !!!
Nice try, but the language: grammar, spelling, usage, and punctuation, is lost, never to return. You’re pissing on a forest fire. Let it go and be happy.
As long as people quit calling mags clips then I will forgive all who cant properly describe the specifications of a rifle scope.
Originally Posted by ldholton

Yeah when I twist the focus on the eye piece I can go from seeing two parallel sets of cross hairs to just a crisp one, and thats how you adjust to get rid of that parallax on the scope your rifle is wearing.

Eyepiece not eye piece…. grin

"If you do your part ".😄

Whenever I hear that, I see this.

Bruce

Attached picture alfalfa.jpg
Meanwhile back at the ranch Granny was beatin' off the Indians, two at a time, and the Indians kept cuming and cuming .......
As long as people quit calling mags clips then I will forgive all who cant properly describe the specifications of a rifle scope.

I could live with that.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

This is 90% of the conversations on the 'fire.
Guilty. Just didn't think about it to be honest
If someone communicates something and others understand they were su ccessful.

Oh heck yah, ....even thou u wern't from round hear I new u where a fan.....Role Tied!!!
Pay attention, you jackwads - this may be confusing to some of you slow kids, so get a friend to help you with this lesson if you need to.

When referring to a scope it's a "3-9x40", which is pronounced "three to nine by forty". It is not a cotdam 3x9x40, or simply a 3x9. A 3x9 would be a fixed magnification at 3x with an objective of 9mm, about the diameter of a soda straw - probably not good for low-light hunting, BTW. 😉

Reading that was actually quite cathartic for me. I have thought this and wanted to say something for years. I feel, liberated.
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

Reading that was actually quite cathartic for me. I have thought this and wanted to say something for years. I feel, liberated.

👍
I mean, this is an Optics forum so why not use the proper vernacular, right?
3-9x 40mm, the 40 is a diameter not a multiplier... just sayin.

Phil
Can't imagine what life must be like that a simple X in the place of a - or vice versa prompts a rant and name calling...

I suggest a psyche evaluation.

Yes,

picking the black specs out of the pepper
Originally Posted by Greyghost
3-9x 40mm, the 40 is a diameter not a multiplier... just sayin.

Phil

Correct, sir. So, technically i guess we should be saying 3 to 9 power with a 40mm objective.
Thank most understand 3-9x40, and is perfectly fine.

Phil
I feel the same way about the horrifically miss-stated military jargon I hear on a daily basis. I've just learned to translate it and try not to correct it unless I feel like it would actually be beneficial to the given conversation or individual.

Oops, hope run on sentences aren't also an annoyance!
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Contender for the picking flyshit out of pepper award...
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Well, truth be told jorgeI, that's what half of the threads on this forum devolve into in one way or another anyway.
Originally Posted by JackVliet

yeah but if you can dress or wear stuff on your rifles then before too long they will start assigning genders to them, and there will probably be more the two genders! just saying...

Well, I already assign genders to my guns. They're all women.

Except for my rifled shotgun, that one is definitely trans. Not sure what it wants to be.
Some of us are getting 2x old timers. Cant remember where I put my keys or if my scope is a 4x12x40 or 4-12x40

What can I say - I'm a winner!😁

Well, if it isn't a prestigious award, it ought to be!
I read on the internet that the pronounciation of the scope designation can vary some what depending on the caliber of the rifle - 30-06 caliber, .308 Winchester caliber, 6mm caliber and so on and so fourth.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I read on the internet that the pronounciation of the scope designation can vary some what depending on the caliber of the rifle - 30-06 caliber, .308 Winchester caliber, 6mm caliber and so on and so fourth.

Wonder what the pronunciation is for 6.5 Creedmoor? 😄

It’s a mythical creature, because “deer” don’t have horns. Never did, never will.

Originally Posted by Featherweight6555

Pretty sure he just did.
Just sayin’ .. laugh

Want to ask if he ever goes out west to hunt
Buffalo,,,,,,,,,or.,.. Antelope?

Expecting an all cap response here.....
Originally Posted by borden811

It’s a mythical creature, because “deer” don’t have horns. Never did, never will.

Sorry, but the redneck lingo around here is "Horns". We're too unedjumacated to spell or say "Antlers".
3 - 9 X 40 = ? Or “three minus nine, times forty equals what?” 😊
Originally Posted by navlav8r

-240. So, for those of us in the "club" we can start some new lingo - "I gots me a minus-240 Lee-o-pold".
Originally Posted by navlav8r

Something put raisins in his bourbon
🖕🏿🖕🏿

The one that grinds my gears, and it is more on facebook than here, is someone who has something for sell. They want to sale their car. It is actually very common... how do you use the work opposite from the way it was intended to be used.
Yep, nobody cares very much-though I occasionally get slightly annoyed when somebody lists a 12x26x56 scope for sale.

Also get a little annoyed when somebody says or writes "first-year anniversary," or "fifth-year anniversary." The "anni" in annversary means year, which is why until a few years age the common form was "first anniversary", or "fifth anniversary."

Dont forget PIN Number. The N in Pin stands for number.... come on people!
One thing is for sure... correcting grammar on the internet will get your post count up!
Long as we're going there

ATM machine......
..pair of BInoculars
My all time favorite.......RPM's
Then/than
HoT water heater
Transgender
Lighten up Francis!!!
What a cheerful induhvidual
Originally Posted by Mgw619
HoT water heater

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Lighten up Francis!!!

Was just going to post the same.

I get where you are going with the proper way to identify a scope; but seriously, when was the last time you saw an improperly punctuated scope description and truly couldn't fill in the blanks to identify what you are looking at?

I do agree with whoever advised that if you're selling something in the classifieds, please include the specific product you are selling in the title line. Just common courtesy.
I thought algebra was a high school course?

Maybe jr. high?
Originally Posted by UncleAlps
I thought algebra was a high school course?

Maybe jr. high?

It is taught there as well.

Thank you sir, may I please have another?
I live in redneck Country and I've heard it all. I do hate hearing somebody call their ammo "bullets". I told a guy at work that I bought 500 bullets for $45. He said wow, that's a good deal. I was talking about cast bullets only. Oh boy.
Originally Posted by roverboy
I live in redneck Country and I've heard it all. I do hate hearing somebody call their ammo "bullets". I told a guy at work that I bought 500 bullets for $45. He said wow, that's a good deal. I was talking about cast bullets only. Oh boy.

Still a good deal.

You must be the guy wearing a mask while driving alone in his truck.
I can see I hit a nerve with some of y'all. The truth sometimes burns strong, doesn't it.

I’m new here…. Is this the best way to get a high post count?
Since we're airing grievances:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Transgender

All time winner…. or “identify as”.

Btw, what would be the best scope to put on 223, a 4 to 14 by 40 or a straight 12 by 50?

Not to mention spilling and those unnecessary little jots called punctuation smile
“Shoveling sand against an incoming tide” reminds me of being assigned to moat dredging duty by my nieces, building sandcastles on a tropical beach . Great sport, but of course futile.

Great mental image on this January evening surrounded by so much snow here in Canada’s North

My punctuation peeve = .25-‘06 or .30-‘06 ‘06 is obviously a contraction of 1906,
Also , as a corrolary, why isn’t .270 Win known as .270-‘03, and similarly .280 Rem as .28-‘03 ??
Originally Posted by 338Rules
“Shoveling sand against an incoming tide” reminds me of being assigned to moat dredging duty by my nieces, building sandcastles on a tropical beach . Great sport, but of course futile.

Great mental image on this January evening surrounded by so much snow here in Canada’s North

My punctuation peeve = .25-‘06 or .30-‘06 ‘06 is obviously a contraction of 1906,
Also , as a corrolary, why isn’t .270 Win known as .270-‘03, and similarly .280 Rem as .28-‘03 ??

Now that's getting deep right there.
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Not to mention spilling and those unnecessary little jots called punctuation smile

Don't forget those pesky paragraphs, or the lack thereof!
As long as we're listing annoyances, using "They-Them" plural pronoun when referring to a single misguided individual.

It's interesting to hear all the southernisms I've been introduced to, here in N.C.

People are crazy but I agree, 3x9x40 is annoying.
I always just thought that if I can figure out what you're saying, it doesn't really matter to me. I personally have bigger things to worry about.

You know.....any sentence that ends with the words "doesn't it" should really have a question mark at the end. Just sayin', professor.
Originally Posted by HarpBoy

You know.....any sentence that ends with the words "doesn't it" should really have a question mark at the end. Just sayin', professor.

I worked for a lady that would end every argumentative comment she made with “Ain’t that right Bob” Usually an exclamation but sometimes a question.
Wow........
Sock-oh, not say-co....
Originally Posted by 450BM
Originally Posted by HarpBoy

I worked for a lady that would end every argumentative comment she made with “Ain’t that right Bob” Usually an exclamation but sometimes a question.

I know what she was talkin' bout. Someone did make mention of "hot" water heaters. Ain't that right Bobby!?!

Originally Posted by SCgman1
Sock-oh, not say-co....

Lou-pold or Leo-pold?

Yup, Piled Higher and Deeper. ;-)

Rem 700 KS, 6.5-280 AI w/ 2-10 x 50 FFP Illum. What could be simpler ?
Confusion comes from parsing out the Zoom range ( 2x - 10x = 5x )

Cheers
So what's the x power of a red dot with magnifier?

Cheers

Um, no - it's -8x
Originally Posted by SCgman1
Sock-oh, not say-co....

Lou-pold or Leo-pold?

How about Sawvorski and Zeece?

Shilling barrels or Forester dies?
The worst butchering of Swarovski I ever heard of was Sooverwhoski....
Hornaday.
Was talking to the head of the gun department at a local sporting goods store one day, and he was once baffled by some guy who asked if they had any "Eye Mister" gun powder--which turned out to be IMR. Another guy asked for "Hogadun" powder.
HoT water heater

[Linked Image]

I have a hot water heater.
Except for when it was new, the water in it is always hot.
It just makes the, mixed with cool water, hotter.

Some of these will get me,
But then I remember,
Being far from perfect, I make mistakes also.

Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
HoT water heater

[Linked Image]

But then I remember,

So you heat hot water again?
HoT water heater

[Linked Image]

Not showing enough pipe nipple to be considered "hot". 😊

Cheers

Um, no - it's -8x

No, 338rules is right. 10 divided by 2 is 5, not 8. The base magnification is 2x and the zoom factor is 5X, which takes the base magnification of 2X to the max of 10X. An 8X zoom would take a 2X to 16X.
HoT water heater

[Linked Image]

Not showing enough pipe nipple to be considered "hot". 😊

[Linked Image from memegenerator.net]
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
HoT water heater

[Linked Image]

But then I remember,

The water runs around 140F.
When you run hot water, it's replaced by cool.
But the water mixes somewhat as it runs in, so it's still warm/hot.
The element brings it up to the 140 set point.

So, yeah.
I've got "hot" water, and it makes it hotter.

We are arguing semantics, so we can split the hair however it suits
our boat floats.😉
4.5x30 scope for sale

I think he's wanting some attention..

"If you do your part ".😄

Marine Core Rangers - several lines were just crossed. 😜
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter

Cheers

Um, no - it's -8x

No, 338rules is right. 10 divided by 2 is 5, not 8. The base magnification is 2x and the zoom factor is 5X, which takes the base magnification of 2X to the max of 10X. An 8X zoom would take a 2X to 16X.

Corectomundo ! Easily confused though .

The hyphen in the Zoom ratio denotes a range of magnifications :
HiX / LoX = ZoomRatio

Interestingly,

Exit pupil diameter = Objective Lens Diameter / Selected Magnification

So from our example scope 2 - 10 X 50 , the Objective lens diameter is 50 mm, And

at 2X Exit Pupil. = 50 / 2 = 25 mm. ;
at 10 X Exit Pupil = 50 / 10 = 5 mm

Clear as Mud

Cheers

Um, no - it's -8x

We were doing Algebra, dude. 2x minus 10x is negative 8x.
You were too busy trying to prove me wrong that you failed to see the Alebra class taking place. Pay attention! 😉
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
4.5x30 scope for sale

I think he's wanting some attention..

I fixt it for him. 😄
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
HoT water heater

[Linked Image]

But then I remember,

The water runs around 140F.
When you run hot water, it's replaced by cool.
But the water mixes somewhat as it runs in, so it's still warm/hot.
The element brings it up to the 140 set point.

So, yeah.
I've got "hot" water, and it makes it hotter.

We are arguing semantics, so we can split the hair however it suits
our boat floats.😉

I have two teenage daughters. So our water heater doesn’t do any is that fancy mixing. It just pulls cold water into a completely empty friggin tank and heats it!
With two teenage daughters, I’d invest in an inline on-demand heater on the warm/hot water outlet line of the hot water tank.

Run the tank a little cooler for economy, and charge the girls by the minute of hot water consumption !

Let me know how it works out, I have 2 teen boys . ;-)
Originally Posted by Fireball2
3 to 9. 3-9. 3x9. Who cares, everyone knows what you're talking about.

This ^ Sounds like the OP is a lowlife spell Nazi crybaby.....

Here is an unfortunate truth. Those on this site that attempt to emulate the resident bag of dicks, but don’t even do a very good job of it, are sad and unfortunate people. There are far better examples in life than the ones they are following.
triggernosis: I think the sounds of your own wheels has made you crazy!
In deference to you, or in spite of you, I will continue to express scope descriptions as I have for more than half a century now (as do most knowledgeable gun types I know) thusly = Leupold 6.5x20, 3x9, 2x7, 4x12 etc etc etc!
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I prefer to state the eye piece Diameter, the tube the low power, the number of turrets the high end the the objective.....
My favorite is a 28mm/1"2.5(2)-8X36.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
triggernosis: I think the sounds of your own wheels has made you crazy!
In deference to you, or in spite of you, I will continue to express scope descriptions as I have for more than half a century now (as do most knowledgeable gun types I know) thusly = Leupold 6.5x20, 3x9, 2x7, 4x12 etc etc etc!
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Spite me if you wish, kind sir - but do manufacturers list their scopes as 3x9 or 2x7, etc? Nope, they don't. So you go right ahead with your spiteful ignorance. 😉
Originally Posted by ringworm
I prefer to state the eye piece Diameter, the tube the low power, the number of turrets the high end the the objective.....
My favorite is a 28mm/1"2.5(2)-8X36.

Damn - now we're moving from algebra to calculus. 😊
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Oh heck yah, ....even thou u wern't from round hear I new u where a fan.....Role Tied!!!

The way I heard it was "shoveling [bleep] into the tide"
I have honestly enjoyed reading this.
Now lets get to something important....30-06 or 270?
I admire Triggernosis's resolve in trying to educate folks. I also know, it's very much an endeavor akin to tilting at windmills. Many people here are ignorant of optics and are much more focused (pardon the pun) on hunting. They view optics (again, pardon the pun) as a necessary evil they use in pursuit of game. Not everyone is as interested in riflescopes and how they work, as am I. I totally get that; different folks, different strokes.

However, that said, this is a forum that is supposed to be dedicated to "hunting optics". This is a somewhat specialized field in riflescopes and one aspect of hunting optics that is quite important, it seems to me, is the ability to detect, identify and aim at the prey in less than perfect conditions. Another aspect is the weight and heft of a riflescope that you mount on a rifle and then may carry around or otherwise have at hand for long periods of time.

In photography, you refer to a lens by its focal length and its maximum aperture size. If the lens is a zoom lens, you refer to it by the zoom range and its maximum aperture size. If I say I have a 50mm lens, that doesn't say very much, except that it is somewhat short in size. You don't know if it's useful in low light, or just as a walk-around lens that it will need a flash if you use it at night. Now, if I say it's a 50mm f/1.8, you immediately know that's a fast lens, great for low light. It's also going to be bigger than a 50mm f/2.8. But the point is that by using the proper name for the lens, you convey all the important information about it.

It's the same with a riflescope, especially when trying to compare riflescopes while considering a purchase, or when discussing a specific event or situation. So, when I see someone refer to a riflescope as a 4X12, that means it's a toy scope, bought in a plastic blister pack at the checkout counter of the local Wal-Mart. If it's not what the writer is referring to, it means the writer is an ignorant SOB who should be shunned, tarred and feathered. But since I'm a nice guy, I will suggest we skip the tar, especially with oil prices being what they are.

Of course, when I see someone write it as a 4X12X40, I immediately know the writer is a confused individual from whom you may wish to stay away if he/she is holding a rifle, as indications are he/she doesn't seem to know which way to point the rifle.

Of course, any opinions on optics these individuals may proffer are to be ignored out of hand.

Carry on.
"an ignorant SOB who should be shunned, tarred and feathered"

Damn - y'all thought that I, as the OP, was harsh. 😄

Get 'em, FTR!

Get 'em, FTR!

You think that's too much? I could just stop at mocking. Maybe we need a new emoji for that. wink

One good feature of "ignorance" is that it's easily curable. However, I'll bet you there will be people here who take great pride in their ignorance and will insist, even go of their prose, to use the wrong riflescope nomenclature, because that's their God-given right to be wrong.

I get that.

Now let's watch and see.

Get 'em, FTR!

You think that's too much? I could just stop at mocking. Maybe we need a new emoji for that. wink

One good feature of "ignorance" is that it's easily curable. However, I'll bet you there will be people here who take great pride in their ignorance and will insist, even go of their prose, to use the wrong riflescope nomenclature, because that's their God-given right to be wrong.

I get that.

Now let's watch and see.

No sir, that wasn't too much for me. But you're really going to hurt some folks feelings, man. Bless their hearts.
Bless their hearts, indeed. The nicest, gentlest, most cutting insult ever offered.

I love it.

I am going to give it a 5/10. Needs much more invective brought to bear against those who do't get it right. Needed more pointed cussing throughout.
Bless their hearts, indeed. The nicest, gentlest, most cutting insult ever offered.

I love it.

Only a suth'na understands the insult that "bless your heart" represents. 😄
Reading all of this makes me feel like an educated man - a polyglot even. I speak “southern”, generally understand “northern”, “western” is easy. Any conglomeration of scope designation I can figure out after a few seconds. It truly is simply a “water heater”, not a “hot” one. That is like saying “Saraha desert” which in arabic is “desert desert”. But for the life of me I cannot understand 98% of “Big Stick”’s rambling posts - hint. And I am no worse off, just ignore it anyway.
Originally Posted by cotis
Reading all of this makes me feel like an educated man - a polyglot even. I speak “southern”, generally understand “northern”, “western” is easy. Any conglomeration of scope designation I can figure out after a few seconds. It truly is simply a “water heater”, not a “hot” one. That is like saying “Saraha desert” which in arabic is “desert desert”. But for the life of me I cannot understand 98% of “Big Stick”’s rambling posts - hint. And I am no worse off, just ignore it anyway.

Yeah, but Big Stick is always "laffin".

Well, the .25 should by hyphenated like a .22-.250 because it is a necked-down wildcat off the .30'06. If it were named technically, you may call it a .25-.30'06, but its .25-'06 because that's what the manufacturer named it. I guess its all up to whatever the maker names it. But props for you on correctly identifying the .270 Winchester .280 Rem as being derivatives of the '03 and not the '06 like many do.
© 24hourcampfire