Home
I see at Camera Land there they have German Precision Optics (GPO) and it looks like they are made in Japan. The 1-6 Spectra 6x 1-6x24 looks like it fits what I have been looking for. Does anyone have any experience with this companies scopes in general? What are your thoughts on these scopes?
Excellent quality and customer service.
i ave a 4-12 that has been really good
Some GPO scopes are made in China.
I had the Passion 6x 2.5-15x56, and it was simply superb in terms of optical quality. I didn't care for the illumination system, but my requirements are different than most others. But as far as glass quality, it was by far the best in the sub-$1500 offerings out there.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Some GPO scopes are made in China.

Which ones?
Not going to be listed on their website, call them they are great to talk to . Most likely their low price stuff is made in CHina.
The only thing I have seen is Made in Japan
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

They make some in China, I called them about a year ago but forget which models were made there.
ok thanks. I did email them with that ?.
If I remember correctly, I thought it was posted on this forum that of the spectra line, only the 8x were made in Japan, all other were made in China??? The GPOTAC scopes are made in Japan as well??? I don't want to use a name in that I may be incorrect.
I think the one I had was made in the Philippines. Not there’s anything wrong with that, but I was surprised and turned off by their misleading marketing tactics. What is actually German about their precision optics? Mine also lost eye relief at higher mag and tunneled bad. It took a walk.
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
I think the one I had was made in the Philippines. Not there’s anything wrong with that, but I was surprised and turned off by their misleading marketing tactics. What is actually German about their precision optics? Mine also lost eye relief at higher mag and tunneled bad. It took a walk.

I believe that the owner is a former Zeiss designer or engineer and GPO claims that their scopes are "designed & engineered" in Germany.
Originally Posted by Japlvr
Originally Posted by SDHNTR

I believe that the owner is a former Zeiss designer or engineer and GPO claims that their scopes are "designed & engineered" in Germany.

They are designed there and QC'd as well.
Richard Schmidt is the owner of GPO Europe. His background is extensive, from engineering to business administration. He was formerly CEO of Zeiss. I have tried to research a little here and there. GPO Europe has hired guys from Meopta and Schmidt Bender to name a few.

Mike Jensen GPO USA owner, was at Zeiss, Swarovski and others in the firearms business.
I'm starting a review of one today. Just mounted the scope up to my brand new Volquartsen Summit in 17 Mach 2. Ill chime in after the range today.
https://cameralandny.com/shop/germa...0139-ade2-00163e90e196?variation=2905195
$1499.99 for a $499.99 scope...

No thanks
Is that scope made in Japan?
I have two GPO Passion 3X 4-14's which I believe is the their lowest offering; both say Japan on them.
The Passion 3x 3-9x42 i saw was made in Philippines.
Originally Posted by LFC
$1499.99 for a $499.99 scope...

No thanks

What makes it a $499.99 scope?
This is what I got from GPO.

"... all design, engineering and quality control is conducted in Germany. Germany purchased the components from component suppliers located Germany, Japan, and the Philippians. Final assembly is outsourced to Japan and the Philippians, depending on the product model.

We hope this helps.

The GPO team. "

"... all design, engineering and quality control is conducted in Germany. Germany purchased the components from component suppliers located Germany, Japan, and the Philippians. Final assembly is outsourced to Japan and the Philippians, depending on the product model.

We hope this helps.

The GPO team. "

I was told they made some stuff in CHina last year, I guess they decided that was not working out for them.

We hope this helps.

The GPO team. "

This "... all design, engineering and quality control is conducted in Germany. Germany purchased the components from component suppliers located Germany, Japan, and the Philippines" is true.

"Final assembly is outsourced to Japan and the Philippines depending on the product model." They do also have some assembly done in China as well.
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

We hope this helps.

The GPO team. "

This "... all design, engineering and quality control is conducted in Germany. Germany purchased the components from component suppliers located Germany, Japan, and the Philippines" is true.

"Final assembly is outsourced to Japan and the Philippines depending on the product model." They do also have some assembly done in China as well.

Wh8ich models are assembled in China?
The GPO Passion 3-12x56 with #4 reticle was definitely made in China.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

They make some in China, I called them about a year ago but forget which models were made there.

Originally Posted by MegaVinn
If I remember correctly, I thought it was posted on this forum that of the spectra line, only the 8x were made in Japan, all other were made in China??? The GPOTAC scopes are made in Japan as well??? I don't want to use a name in that I may be incorrect.

I emailed GPO yesterday, asking them about the what country my Passion 3-9x40i was made in and received a reply in less than 24 hours. RJ

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]web hosting image
Originally Posted by rj308
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Originally Posted by MegaVinn

I emailed GPO yesterday, asking them about the what country my Passion 3-9x40i was made in and received a reply in less than 24 hours. RJ

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]web hosting image

RJ thanks for the link. How do you like that 3-9x40i?
I have not had the chance to shoot the rifle yet, hopefully next week. I mounted it on a Browning X-Bolt stainless .223 Rem., 1 in 8 twist. The scope checks all of the boxes for me except eye relief is just 3.54", But, it will not be a problem on this .223. At least the ER is constant. As long as it tracks well sighting in, I will be happy. I don't dial. I'll report back after I sight in the scope. RJ
Looking forward to it , thanks
I'm working on a review for the GPOTAC currently. I'm very impressed with the turrets, glass, and overall feel of the scope. The turrets are loud and very precise. I hope to test its tracking tomorrow. I plan on comparing it to the Razor.
I bought a pair of GPO 8x32 ED's from Doug when they first came out. Based on how much I like them I was kind of surprised the brand hasn't really taken off. Then I started seeing all the negative posts about where parts are made or where they're assembled. I'm not a big fan of Chinese made products either but I'm not sure GPO is doing anything other optics companies aren't doing but maybe aren't admitting it.
Can anyone verify that other "German" optics companies products are 100% made in Germany?
Originally Posted by Bill_N
I bought a pair of GPO 8x32 ED's from Doug when they first came out. Based on how much I like them I was kind of surprised the brand hasn't really taken off. Then I started seeing all the negative posts about where parts are made or where they're assembled. I'm not a big fan of Chinese made products either but I'm not sure GPO is doing anything other optics companies aren't doing but maybe aren't admitting it.
Can anyone verify that that other "German" optics companies are 100% made in Germany?

I can say, without fear of correction, that there is no company making anything 100% in Germany with 100% German parts. It's a world market place and many of the little pieces parts are sourced from all over the place including the Pacific Rim.
Thanks Doug! That's what I've been thinking for a number of years. At least GPO is transparent about it.
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by Bill_N
Can anyone verify that that other "German" optics companies are 100% made in Germany?

I can say, without fear of correction, that there is no company making anything 100% in Germany with 100% German parts. It's a world market place and many of the little pieces parts are sourced from all over the place including the Pacific Rim.

Also, given different laws in different countries, what can be called "made in" one country would only be "assembled in" another, correct?
Have also seen some optics labeled "From XYZ Country"--when the only thing done in that country was finish work....
© 24hourcampfire