Home
Over the years, what are some different riflescopes that have earned a reputation among hunters, guides, outfitters, and high volume shooters for being able to withstand hard use, rough conditions, heavy recoil, and other such beatings, and not lose zero or rattle apart? Old Leupold M8 2.5’s? Lyman Alaskans, ………others????? Thanks.
You mentioned it, the Leupold M8-2.5x Compact!
Nightforce nxs 2.5-10
USA made Burris signature scopes, battle tanks!
My Vari-X 3 2.5-8X has been stellar on on 338-06 since 1995. Multiple elk, a BC grizzly, a BC black, a nilgai and a couple of mule deer and a few hogs. Zero issues and a forum friend and I are looking at NM oryx and it will be my go to rifle with the 185 gr TSX.
I've never seen a Reupold 2.5x worth a fhuqk,nor a 2.5-8x worth same. They are often on rifles that don't get shot much,by folks who "know" less and "do" less. The Burris Signatures were/are a fhuqking joke,since inception and wandered like a Mad Woman going to take a schit,on their BEST fhuqking day. Hint.

There's some NightFarce stuff that hangs in there. Hint................
Nightforce NXS series.

Schmidt & Bender.

Mounts usually cause more problems than the scopes themselves.
I’ve never had a USA-made Burris Signature Select scope “wander” or fail to hold zero.

Haven’t had any issues with Kahles AH or Helia C, either.

Happy trails
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Nightforce NXS series.

Schmidt & Bender.

Mounts usually cause more problems than the scopes themselves.

I've had good luck with NF, S&B, and SWFA 6x/10x/3-9. I'm always trying something new but most of my user rifles have one of those brands on them.

My all-around favorite is the S&B 6x42 PMII. One of mine has taken a lot of abuse over the past several years...scope body and knobs show it. Rugged build and I think the lack of "extras" like parallax, power adjustment, and illumination can help with reliability for no other reason than simplicity and having less things to fail. Not that a reliable scope can't be made with the extras...I believe they can.
Burris is one of the biggest pieces of junk ever made I've had several that didn't last a dozen shots even used on a 22 Mag.....haven't owned one in over 30 years never will....Leupold on anything larger than a medium 308 will give up its ghost just give it some time....I have sent for repairs 100's of Leupold's 3-5 at a time several time a year in the past 30 + years....
Around 8 years ago sent 5 Leupold's for repairs several days later got a call from them....asked me what scopes did I like they would give me any scope they made NEW for FREE....took 5 of the highest priced scopes as soon as I got them put them up for sale at a good price and bought some NIKON'S....

Been using NIKON'S and have never broke one....its a shame they quit making them....still pick them up ever chance I get....
Nightforce NXS and Schmidt & Bender..........FACT!!!
Anything that can stand up to the abuse dished out by the Stick gets my vote. Some of his YouTube videos make me cringe but his treatment of equipment is certainly a test of what works.
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Anything that can stand up to the abuse dished out by the Stick gets my vote. Some of his YouTube videos make me cringe but his treatment of equipment is certainly a test of what works.

^^ THIS ^^ i got to agree Big Stick proves it in his videos
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've never seen a Reupold 2.5x worth a fhuqk,nor a 2.5-8x worth same. They are often on rifles that don't get shot much,by folks who "know" less and "do" less. The Burris Signatures were/are a fhuqking joke,since inception and wandered like a Mad Woman going to take a schit,on their BEST fhuqking day. Hint.

So says the resident anvil bender.
What’s the name of the YouTube channel?
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

I'm fairly new here. Does Big Stick have a YouTube channel and , if so, what is it called.? Thanks.
Type in Busheler
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
Burris is one of the biggest pieces of junk ever made I've had several that didn't last a dozen shots even used on a 22 Mag.....haven't owned one in over 30 years never will....Leupold on anything larger than a medium 308 will give up its ghost just give it some time....I have sent for repairs 100's of Leupold's 3-5 at a time several time a year in the past 30 + years....
Around 8 years ago sent 5 Leupold's for repairs several days later got a call from them....asked me what scopes did I like they would give me any scope they made NEW for FREE....took 5 of the highest priced scopes as soon as I got them put them up for sale at a good price and bought some NIKON'S....

Been using NIKON'S and have never broke one....its a shame they quit making them....still pick them up ever chance I get....

I agree about the Nikon Monarchs. Crystal clear & very well built.

Right!!! Your fellow Alaskan 458Win knows NOTHING and has done NOTHING!!!! I’m thinking I’ll defer to his opinion!
For older, more traditional scopes, I'll throw a vote out for Japan made Bushnell Elites and Weavers. Had a couple Elites that withstood high round counts and some big drops and falls without loosing zero. Buddies had a few that endured lots of 3" shotgun slugs, which shook a few other scopes loose.

Years back bought a donor action with a 6x Japan Weaver classic. Scope was heavily used and dented at that time. Out of curiosity, I shot it; found it still held zero and adjusted just fine. It has been moved around and used a lot. It now sits on a donor gun for youth hunts, where it's been dropped and stepped on a bunch. Still holding zero.

For more modern, dialing scopes, like a lot of others who shoot have reported, I've had great luck with SWFA, NF, and Bushie Elite Tactical's, so that's what I own the most of these days. Still always experimenting though. Good experiences with a couple Meoptas, but I don't have near the shots downrange with them.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of duplicitous marketing/manufacturing going on out there in the optics industry; lots of products available that don't do what they purport to be designed and built to do. Life's just too short to be wasting time with with products that will leave you frustrated.
I'm VERY "surprised" that a CLUELESS Crying Karen from Oklahoma,melted down in such Spectacular Fashion...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I enjoy the multiple Whining Edits too. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even a Whining Brokedick Drooler can "afford" to "contribute". Pardon wares that exist,if only to your perpetual High Pitched Chagrin. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

SWFA .
The Leupold VX III/3 1.5-5x20 had a good reputation on big kickers at one stage.
Burris is one of the biggest pieces of junk ever made ....haven't owned one in over 30 years never will...

Marinade on that for a while, and think about how damn dumb it sounds.
Originally Posted by 3dtestify

Right!!! Your fellow Alaskan 458Win knows NOTHING and has done NOTHING!!!! I’m thinking I’ll defer to his opinion!

The only reason his works is that he hasn't thrown it at salmon yet.
Paula,

Some folks actually shoot and given your "means","abilities" and "comprehension",you simply cannot begin to fhuqking fathom the magnitude...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you however,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even a Brokedick such as yourself,can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Pardon wares that exist. Hint.

I have made quite a few trips to Africa and have had the best luck with Kahles scopes. Had a couple of Leupold scopes that needed minor adjustment when arriving at camp. Always used quality mounts and rings and torgue to correct specs. Have also had good luck with Nightforce scopes and mounts but not on rifles that have seen much rough treatment, such as baggage handlers and safari vehicles.
It'll perhaps come as a "Surprise!" to many,that a jaunt in a padded hardcase and riding in a crummy,ain't much of a "test". Rifle scopes don't have GPS or tastebuds either. Now everyone knows. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............
It'll perhaps come as a "Surprise!" to many,that a jaunt in a padded hardcase and riding in a crummy,ain't much of a "test". Rifle scopes don't have GPS or tastebuds either. Now everyone knows. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

What!!! No Salmon???
I reckon that was rude of me,as I often forget just how many of you CLUELESS Fhuqking Drooltards are "living" vicariously. My bad,so I'll start with a Trout. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................
The most rugged scope I have had is a 2.5X weaver of early '80's vintage, This one is a little bit heavy and has the friction adjustments; no clicks. This rifle and scope have been carried for forty years and many, many miles. When pushing through slide alder, I would occasionally get branches caught between the scope and barrel and I would just yank on the rifle to break them off. When the tube was showing a little rust while on one mountain hunt, I carded the rust off with a stick and put some boot wax on it. I was shooting this rifle the other day and it still hit right where it did for the last forty years. These Weavers are not known for superb optics and it's not the type of scope the modern day hunter would want but they have always been well regarded for ruggedness and reliability.
The SWFA scopes certainly seem to be rugged enough and if they could be had with a plain reticle, I'd like them. They adjust and track so well, they don't need a whole bunch of hash marks. I understand the value of multiple aiming points under some circumstances but with good adjustments, I don't care. GD
dumbdog,

The number of spent primers you've made in your "Life",wouldn't fill the bottom of and empty thimble...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Why must you pick on a poor old man? A poor old man just trying to contribute something which is intelligible; to counterbalance the ravings of the Peckerwood of Paradise. Good talkin' with ye. Oh, nice fish. GD
Originally Posted by jmbutzin
Over the years, what are some different riflescopes that have earned a reputation among hunters, guides, outfitters, and high volume shooters for being able to withstand hard use, rough conditions, heavy recoil, and other such beatings, and not lose zero or rattle apart? Old Leupold M8 2.5’s? Lyman Alaskans, ………others????? Thanks.

The next toughest scope is still a distant second. If Trijicon would make them so they could be mounted low on a non-AR, this would be the only scope I'd own.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I reckon that was rude of me,as I often forget just how many of you CLUELESS Fhuqking Drooltards are "living" vicariously. My bad,so I'll start with a Trout. Hint.

This won’t do!!! No Salmon, no cred!
I have a 25 year old ior 4x that has never been any trouble, mounted on a .458 , a 338 win and no enjoying life on an old tanger 7x57. I never has needed readjusting once sighted in and i am not too careful with keeping it safe. i don't go out of my way to "test' a scope's durability but they do get rattled , banged and occasionally fallover........
dumbdog,

The number of spent primers you've made in your "Life",wouldn't fill the bottom of and empty thimble...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Originally Posted by greydog
Why must you pick on a poor old man? A poor old man just trying to contribute something which is intelligible; to counterbalance the ravings of the Peckerwood of Paradise. Good talkin' with ye. Oh, nice fish. GD

Ya gotta admit it was funny!
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Burris is one of the biggest pieces of junk ever made ....haven't owned one in over 30 years never will...

Marinade on that for a while, and think about how damn dumb it sounds.

I've never had a Burris fail.
Never had a good one either.😉
I guess I had too many bad experiences with burris, had too many coming back into shop in the early 2000s, sent enough back to where I'm scared to own any of them. Reticle issues, broken crosshairs, maybe they had a few bad years. These were mostly fullfields.
B&L onna Kuharsky base
I broken a LOT of scopes but I have not yet managed to break a VXIII 2.5-8. I've tried. I haven't had good luck with anything bigger than that from Beaverton.
A couple that have survived heavy use by me are Leupold Vari X III 4.5-14X 40 mm that has resided on my 300 Wby Sako L691 for the last 28 years, and a Vortex Viper 2-7x 35mm that has been on my Marlin 336 for the last twelve years. They have gone through some serious abuse by me without a shift in POI or any internal issues.
Leupold 1.5x5 have served me well on 338 win, 375 H&H, and 416 Rigby, with no failures. One of my favorites for stout recoil.

But, the rifle that dishes out the most abuse is my 500 a square. I have an extended/scout scope on it. Leupold 2.5x with 9" of eye relief. About 100 lbs of recoil per shot and I've shot it over 200 rounds, total. Scope still holds zero.

First time at the bench, I shot it 49 times. The scope was in better shape than me, after that!!!

Andy3
Originally Posted by 3dtestify

That is an absolutely superb looking rainbow.
© 24hourcampfire