Home
Posted By: EFHutton GPO OPTICS - 05/09/22
Anyone have any opinions on this company ?
Posted By: SDHNTR Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/09/22
I had a Passion 4-12X and was not impressed. Eyebox compressed A LOT at higher magnification and tunnelled badly, significantly reduced eye relief too.
Posted By: Starbuck Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/09/22
I looked through a few of their offerings. I thought they were OK, but nothing special over the other Asiatic "me too" scope marketing companies that have sprung up. I can't speak to their durability.

Main issue I have is that their branding is intentionally misleading. With the moniker they carefully selected to be the first representation you have of their company, you would think there'd be something made in Germany in them; however, they are all sourced from Asia, many from China. Not that there isn't some good scopes coming out of China these days, likely even the GPO's, but I find it off puting that they're trying to cash in on the work that actual German Optics manufacturers have done to further sport optics innovation and quality. Maybe not a huge deal to some.

It reminds me of the scene in Forest Gump wherein all of the soldiers he was with had nick names consisting of cities that they weren't from. "There was Dallas, from Phoenix. Cleveland from Detroit" , etc, etc.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/09/22
If I may state a few facts (BTW, I too am not a fan of the name of the company)

Yes, assembled in China, Japan and the Philippines. There are components sourced from Germany. GPO products are sourced from the same place all premium optics source from. Plus, the GPO engineers and designers are German, based in Germany. They are the guys that did the innovations for Zeiss, Schmidt & Bender and Leica. Their Sr and Head engineer worked at Zeiss for 13 yrs; Schmidt for 6 years, and Meopta for 4 years. His main focus is the riflescopes. Their quality stands with all the premium guys, with an excellent price/value proposition and they offer a lifetime no fault warranty.

We sell their products and feel they certainly are good quality. I'd put their Passion HD binoculars up against anything under $2,000
Posted By: Bullhead Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/09/22
I have a pair of 8x32 bought on the fire nice glass.
Posted By: Starbuck Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/09/22
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
If I may state a few facts (BTW, I too am not a fan of the name of the company)

Yes, assembled in China, Japan and the Philippines. There are components sourced from Germany. GPO products are sourced from the same place all premium optics source from. Plus, the GPO engineers and designers are German, based in Germany. They are the guys that did the innovations for Zeiss, Schmidt & Bender and Leica. Their Sr and Head engineer worked at Zeiss for 13 yrs; Schmidt for 6 years, and Meopta for 4 years. His main focus is the riflescopes. Their quality stands with all the premium guys, with an excellent price/value proposition and they offer a lifetime no fault warranty.

We sell their products and feel they certainly are good quality. I'd put their Passion HD binoculars up against anything under $2,000

Doug:

Thanks for the explanation.

I do realize that my area of concern with GPO is trivial and that it has nothing to do with the actual quality or performance of their products. Further, I realize that it is a global economy and that market expectations have a lot to do with sourcing.
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/09/22
I have a couple of the Passion 3X 4-12's. Glass is pretty good for the price point. Adjustments worked as they should. Not using the included dials as where I hunt there is rarely time for that and I can't read the dials anymore anyway.
Posted By: Hearties Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/10/22
Doug - are you able to tell which line of riflescopes are made in Japan? I read somewhere it was the Spectra 6 and 8 but would like some confirmation if possible.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/12/22
Binoculars - PASSION ED 32
B300 PASSION 8x32ED Black China
B301 PASSION 8x32ED Green China
B302 PASSION 8x32ED Tan China
B303 PASSION 8x32ED Brown China
B320 PASSION 10x32ED Black China
B321 PASSION 10x32ED Green China
B322 PASSION 10x32ED Tan China
B323 PASSION 10x32ED Brown China

Binoculars - PASSION ED 42
B340 PASSION 8x42ED Black China
B341 PASSION 8x42ED Green China
B360 PASSION 10x42ED Black China
B361 PASSION 10x42ED Green China
B400 PASSION 8x56ED Black China
B420 PASSION 10x56ED Black China

Binoculars - PASSION HD 42
B600 PASSION 8x42HD Black Japan
B620 PASSION 10x42HD Black Japan

Binoculars - PASSION HD 50
B640 PASSION 8.5x50HD Black Japan
B660 PASSION 10x50HD Black Japan
B680 PASSION 12.5x50HD w/ adapter/tripod Japan

Rangefinders
RT1800 Rangetracker Black China
RT8101 Rangetracker Green China
GLRF 1800 Flagmaster Slope/Pin China
BX700 RangeGuide 8x32 China
BX710 RangeGuide 10x32 China
BX740 RangeGuide 8x50 China
BX750 RangeGuide 10x50 China

Riflescopes - 1X
RS250 SPECTRA 7.5X50I Fixed China

Riflescopes - 3X
R310 PASSION 3-9x42 w/ 5 turrets Phillipines
R350 PASSION 4-12x42 w/ 5 turrets Phillipines
R380 PASSION 6-18x50 MOA reticle Phillipines

Riflescopes - 4X
R400 PASSION 3-12x56 4A reticle China
R460 PASSION 6-24x50 w/ C turret China
RS420 SPECTRA 2.5-10X44 G4, capped PT, CW, .36" China
RS421 SPECTRA 2.5-10X44i G4i Drop, capped PT, .36 China
RS441 SPECTRA 4-16x50i G4i, capped PT, CW, .36 China
RS442 SPECTRA 4-16x50i G4i Drop, capped PT, .36 China

Riflescopes - 5X
RS550 SPECTRA 3-15X56i G4i, capped PT, CW, .36 China

Riflescopes - 6X
RS610 SPECTRA 1-6x24i G4i, capped PT, CW, .36 China
RS620 SPECTRA 1.5-9x32i G4i, capped PT, CW, .36 China
RS630 SPECTRA 1.5-9x44i G4i Drop, capped PT, .36 China
RS640 SPECTRA 2-12x44i BRWi, capped PT, CW, .36 China
RS650 SPECTRA 2-12x50i G4i, capped PT, CW, .36 China
RS660 SPECTRA 3-18x56i BRi, capped PT, CW, .36 China

Riflescopes - 8X
RS800 SPECTRA 1-8x24i G4i, capped PT, CW, .36 China
RS820 SPECTRA 2-16x44i G4i, capped PT, CW, .36 China
RS821 SPECTRA 2-16x44i BRi, capped PT, CW, .36 China
RS830 SPECTRA 2.5-20x50i G4i, capped PT, CW, .36 China

Riflescopes - GPOTAC
RT610 GPOTAC 1-6x24itac FFP HSi-CQB, BT, .1mrad Japan
RT820 GPOTAC 1-8x24itac FFP HSi 34mm, BT, lock Japan
RS831 SPECTRA 2.5-20x50i FFP BRi 34mm BT, CW China
RS670 SPECTRA 4.5-27x50i FFP, LRi Pro, 34mm, TT, ZS China

SPECTRA RED DOT SCOPES
RS150 SPECTRA SpecrtaDot ccw China
Posted By: rj308 Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/12/22
Doug, I noticed you did not list the Passion 3-9x40i scope. I emailed GPO and received a reply.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/12/22
That scope is not in my current price list
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/12/22
That $600 7.5x50 spectra was on my short list of fixed options along with a $800 meopta meostar 7x56........

I waited too long on the meostar and it went out of stock....

All the China chat had me iffy about the GPO option

Ended up getting a trijicon credo HX 2.5x10 x56 for just $50 more...
Posted By: WB300 Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/14/22
I have the Passion 3-9x40i and wrote a short review here a while back.

It's the only 1" tube scope in that price range ive kept that tracks true.

Never had to use it, but with their warranty, I wouldn't hesitate to buy more.
Posted By: rj308 Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/14/22
WB, that's good to hear. I have only sighted mine in at the range. Did not have any problems RJ
Posted By: jc189 Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/14/22
Originally Posted by SCgman1
That $600 7.5x50 spectra was on my short list of fixed options along with a $800 meopta meostar 7x56........

I waited too long on the meostar and it went out of stock....

All the China chat had me iffy about the GPO option

Ended up getting a trijicon credo HX 2.5x10 x56 for just $50 more...

Good choice, love my Credo's.
Posted By: MegaVinn Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/14/22
I have the passion 3-9x40. I believe to be an first issue model. It is made in Japan. The glass is pretty darn good. No experience in the tracking.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/14/22
Just remember, when you buy a GPO, you are buying a scope from people who thought "Passion" was a good name for a scope. I'd hold out for their Gladiator series.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/16/22
This helmet guy keeps saying things about guns.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/16/22
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Just remember, when you buy a GPO, you are buying a scope from people who thought "Passion" was a good name for a scope. I'd hold out for their Gladiator series.
LMAO…
Posted By: kingston Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/16/22

This belongs in the "If your scope was your pecker" thread.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/16/22
If it has great optics I could care less what it was called. SMFH
Posted By: TeeBone Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/16/22
The name is so overtly deceitful, I'll pass on them. Buying optics is getting to be as confusing as buying a mattress.
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/16/22
2 guys I've hunted with in Arizona (Where glassing is THE game) were product testers for GPO, They were VERY impressed.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/16/22
Bottom line on GPO, IMO, is this.
The people involved in GPO are long standing high quality folks from Zeiss & Swarovski. They've got decades of industry involvement and know how to produce and quality control products. They know what they're doing. Their products punch above their price point, however, if made in China is a deal braker for you then some of their optics aren't for you. Many folks need high quality options in Binoculars and Riflescopes in a sub $500.00 price range and GPO is a strong choice
Posted By: JGRaider Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/16/22
If I'm forced to buy Chinese optics, I'm going Athlon. At least they're up front about it.
Sub $500. optics has become a pretty crowded field. Who knows....maybe the clever name will give the brand an advantage.
Posted By: beretzs Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/16/22
Originally Posted by JGRaider
If I'm forced to buy Chinese optics, I'm going Athlon. At least they're up front about it.

Same here. Haven't seen anything sub 500 that performs as well as those rice burn'in Helos yet whistle
Perhaps it cuts both ways too. Given European labor rates, one might think that a sub $500. German product is of inferior quality.
Posted By: Deans Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/16/22
I have a pair of these GPO Rangeguide 10x50 Binocular Rangefinders and they are clear, light weight and the rangefinder works well also. I have no complaints.

Used them in January on my Scimitar Oryx hunt and will use them this December for my cow elk hunt.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...0137-0b4f-00163e90e196?variation=1946277
Posted By: SDHNTR Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/17/22
Originally Posted by TeeBone
Sub $500. optics has become a pretty crowded field. Who knows....maybe the clever name will give the brand an advantage.

Clever? I don’t think being intentionally misleading is clever!
Posted By: TeeBone Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/17/22
Originally Posted by SDHNTR

Clever? I don’t think being intentionally misleading is clever!

Am I okay with it? Not really, but understand how the game is played.

In the "About GPO" tab on their website, the company highlights their American and German management team, superior German engineering and design, and links to well respected manufacturers including Zeiss and Swarovski. The only clue to manufacturing sites is a reference to "global production facilities". No specific reference to their Asian partners who actually make the things. Perhaps they think the country of manufacture isn't significant. More likely, they hope the consumer will learn of the country of manufacture only when reading the engraving on the scope tube - after the purchase.

If they produce a high quality product at an attractive price point, and then stand by it, I wish them great success. But for me, it just feels like they are putting a little too much effort into concealing their business model, which isn't unique among sports optics manufacturers.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/17/22
Originally Posted by kingston

This belongs in the "If your scope was your pecker" thread.

I'd have a Vortex Spitting Cobra.
Posted By: Starbuck Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/17/22

In an effort to foster more transparency, their new lines will have names like Shanghai Select, Colectivist's Choice, Big Red, etc, etc.

In fairness, GPO might not take the cake for most purposely obfuscating moniker; from what I read about sourcing, VX Freedom might have that title.

Swamp Fox has some winners in the category of misleading names, too.

And you can buy USO that are Chicom.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/17/22
SMH at the idiotic comments. People so far removed from reality it is not even funny.
Posted By: Starbuck Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/17/22
OEH:

LMAO at the names these optics companies are scrounging up. Some are straight up Orwellian Doublespeak. Must've tested well with the focus groups.

FWIW, I'd suspect that most here understand globalism to some extent. If not, most understand that the concept of "getting more for your money" usually means the inclusion of cheap labor somewhere along the line.

If someone likes their "German" optics straight outta Shanghai, more power to them. Use what you want. But you can't take some of the names these companies select too serious. You just can't.
Originally Posted by Starbuck
OEH:

LMAO at the names these optics companies are scrounging up. Some are straight up Orwellian Doublespeak. Must've tested well with the focus groups.

FWIW, I'd suspect that most here understand globalism to some extent. If not, most understand that the concept of "getting more for your money" usually means the inclusion of cheap labor somewhere along the line.

If someone likes their "German" optics straight outta Shanghai, more power to them. Use what you want. But you can't take some of the names these companies select too serious. You just can't.

Like I said before I could care less what they are called if they are great optics.

The name is so overtly deceitful, I'll pass on them. Buying optics is getting to be as confusing as buying a mattress.

I wonder if this person realizes that Leupold's are not entirely made in the US. Is their mention of global sourcing on their webpage?

Here is a link to their about page. I guess they hide that they globally source their products.

Posted By: TeeBone Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/17/22
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
SMH at the idiotic comments. People so far removed from reality it is not even funny.

Let the gaslighting begin....
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Let the gaslighting begin....

A dumbazz with hurt feelers who does not even own the product is posting drivel. GFY
Posted By: pabucktail Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/18/22
You guys have so much “Passion”.
Posted By: rj308 Re: GPO OPTICS - 05/18/22
It sure appears that some "Fire" members get way more enjoyment out of building a case against another member for liking or using a brand of optic that they do not like or use, than any enjoyment they get out of hunting or shooting. RJ
© 24hourcampfire