Home
Posted By: Slecken All around rifle scope - 05/23/22
I am looking to get a new scope for my Remington 700 KS in 280 rem. Mostly hunt deer and hogs but will be taking the occasional trip for elk and moose. Shots no more than 400-500yards. What do you all recommend? Thanks.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: All around rifle scope - 05/23/22
Do you want to twist turrets or use a reticle? Price range? Desired magnification range?
Posted By: Slecken Re: All around rifle scope - 05/23/22
Honestly have never used twist turrets so I am not sure about them. Should I research and get comfortable using them? I have used vortex and leupold scopes before. Would like to stay in the $500-$800 range for price. Thanks.
What is your current method for the 500-yard shots?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: All around rifle scope - 05/23/22
I’d pick one that would be really good for what you do most of the time, and be okay for the trips out West. There are reliable, good quality 3-9s that weigh less than a pound and can be mounted low for good handling. My favorites are the Trijicon Accupoint with illuminated duplex ($650 or so), and the Burris Fullfield II or Fullfield E1 (under $200). Both weigh about 13oz and are solid. Wouldn’t go over 2-10 in power or 42mm for the objective unless you hunt a lot in really dim light.

Never hunted elk or moose, but on tv they look pretty big, so I suspect you don’t need a Hubble to shoot one, even at a quarter-mile or so.
I have never shot anything over 250 yards but would like to be able to if I had to. I just would hold a little high when shooting a longer shot. I realize that this is not the best way and I am looking for a better way. I have read where leupold has Turret caps that can be customized to you specific gun and load which I thought was a pretty slick idea and would take the guess work out of it.
Leupold CDS is a pretty easy way to do things, and it works for hunting situations. They're not made for guys that like to twist turrets like an etch-a-sketch, but fine for hunting. Get a VX-2 or better in the 3-9 or 2-10 range with a CDS and you will be fine.

I'd go with a VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 CDS-ZL. Get a bunch of ammo and figure out your turret settings, get the custom one cut and have a ball.
Thanks everyone for your responses.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: All around rifle scope - 05/23/22
The following have been dependable all around scopes for me close to the listed price range. Choose based on what you wish to do.

Dialing, 30mm:
SWFA 3-9x42

Non-dialing or rare dialing, 30mm:
Nightforce SHV 3-10 Forceplex Illuminated

Option to use a single turn, zero stopped, capped turret for dialing or set and forget, 1":
Tract Toric 2-10x42 ....I haven't used the 3-15x42 or 50 but I'd venture it's reliable if like the 2-10.
Thanks
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: All around rifle scope - 05/23/22
Slecken: My full custom pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in caliber 280 Remington has a Leupold 4x12 variable with adjustable objective and Du-Plex reticle on it.
I have been MORE than happy with this set-up. And I have Hunted all manner of game with it including Blacktailed Deer, Antelope, Mt. Goat, Black Bear, Mule Deer, Elk, Whitetailed Deer and Coyotes.
Leupold & Stevens Corporation - a fine AMERICAN Company.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Thanks VarmitGuy
That scope mentioned by VG is my favorite. I bought my first Leupold a 3-9 for $60. Well over 50 years a go.
Should I look to go 3-9 or 4-12 on power?
Posted By: Butler247 Re: All around rifle scope - 05/24/22
Burris E1 when balling on a budget. Get the Dunns special and go Kill!
Posted By: shrapnel Re: All around rifle scope - 05/24/22
Originally Posted by Slecken
Should I look to go 3-9 or 4-12 on power?

Something to consider; at the bottom, there is only 1X difference in power, but at the top there is 3X.

I would always opt for the more power on the top...
Posted By: mud_bogger Re: All around rifle scope - 05/24/22
For a no frills bang around scope, I always liked the vx-II 3-9x40's for some reason.
A Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle is all you need. 4-500 yard shots are pretty easy with that set up, just learn to use it and set it up properly for your cartridge and you'll be golden. No need to overthink or overcomplicate things and I guarantee you'll get more accurate hits on your targets than you would with a standard duplex reticle.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
The following have been dependable all around scopes for me close to the listed price range. Choose based on what you wish to do.

Dialing, 30mm:
SWFA 3-9x42

Option to use a single turn, zero stopped, capped turret for dialing or set and forget, 1":
Tract Toric 2-10x42 ....I haven't used the 3-15x42 or 50 but I'd venture it's reliable if like the 2-10.
This is the way I'd go.
I have never shot anything over 250 yards but would like to be able to if I had to. I just would hold a little high when shooting a longer shot. I realize that this is not the best way and I am looking for a better way. I have read where leupold has Turret caps that can be customized to you specific gun and load which I thought was a pretty slick idea and would take the guess work out of it.
No matter what you end up with go out in the field and practice practice practice those 400 and 500yd shots. Once your rifle is sighted even with its present optic go and shoot it at those distances supported and unsupported in field positional stances and if possible in terrain with greater than 20degree slope and no static flat range bench stuff after sighting and verified zeros. This will tell you what your setup and you are capable of. Good luck.
Posted By: pertnear Re: All around rifle scope - 05/24/22
Leupold 3x-9x...new or used ...you can't go wrong!
Posted By: 257Bob Re: All around rifle scope - 05/24/22
Leupold VX-3HD Rifle Scope 3.5-10x 40mm CDS-ZL Duplex Reticle Matte
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: All around rifle scope - 05/24/22
GPO Passion 6X 2.5-15x50i - G4i

Super-zoom 6X technology
iControl™ illumination options
Massive lenses assure optical excellence
30mm main tube
GPObright™ lens coating technology
PassionTrac™ quick-zero target turrets
Double HD Objective glass

This super-premium 30mm line of riflescopes offers a comprehensive array of features for shooters. The 6X super-zoom allow extreme versatility for close and distance usage. The large internal lenses assure optical brilliance and low-light visibility. This super-premium flagship product is sure to impress the most discerning hardcore trophy hunter.

The iControl™ illumination assures users that they always have a live battery when most needed.
Automatically powers down the illumination when the electronic module has been stationary for more than 3 hours
Offers bright, fiber optic technology
Alerts users when the battery has only 15% remaining battery life

Detailed Description

This super-premium 30mm line of riflescopes offers a comprehensive array of features for shooters. The 6X super-zoom allow extreme versatility for close and distance usage. The large internal lenses assure optical brilliance and low-light visibility. This super-premium flagship product is sure to impress the most discerning hardcore trophy hunter.

The iControl™ illumination assures users that they always have a live battery when most needed.
Automatically powers down the illumination when the electronic module has been stationary for more than 3 hours
Offers bright, fiber optic technology
Alerts users when the battery has only 15% remaining battery life
Posted By: 338rcm Re: All around rifle scope - 05/24/22
Where are "Super Premium " scopes made?
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: All around rifle scope - 05/24/22
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Where are "Super Premium " scopes made?

This is made in Japan
Posted By: eblake Re: All around rifle scope - 05/24/22
If the field of view at low power for close in shots at moving game is important to you, I'd suggest looking at the Leupold VX5 2-10. Mine has been great for the New England hunting that I've done but have not used it for long range by western standards.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: All around rifle scope - 05/24/22
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Dialing, 30mm:
SWFA 3-9x42

This is the way I'd go.
My all round scopes are either 2-7X33 or 2.5-8X36. They're quite capable to 400 yards or more, though I won't shoot at an animal beyond 300 or so.
Posted By: DANNYL Re: All around rifle scope - 05/24/22
Leupold has been good for me. Has anyone noticed Leupold has been mentioned have dozen times and no big stick bashing, pleasant isn't it.
Posted By: Slecken Re: All around rifle scope - 05/24/22
Do you all like the illuminated firedot for those who have one? Thanks
Posted By: DANNYL Re: All around rifle scope - 05/24/22
I like mine, usually turned on low. It helps me pick up running coyotes easier.

This one might work for ya and priced right.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...x5hd-3-15x44-firedot-duplex#Post17275621
Posted By: sidepass Re: All around rifle scope - 05/24/22
Originally Posted by DANNYL
Leupold has been good for me. Has anyone noticed Leupold has been mentioned have dozen times and no big stick bashing, pleasant isn't it.

He is far from the only person that bashes Leupold these days. Have one that failed on sight in still sitting on the bench ,better paper weight than aiming tool.
Posted By: sidepass Re: All around rifle scope - 05/24/22
Originally Posted by DANNYL

He is far from the only person that bashes Leupold these days. Have one that failed on sight in still sitting on the bench ,better paper weight than aiming tool. I do have some that have been trouble free up to this point but won't ever buy another me thinks.
Posted By: Starbuck Re: All around rifle scope - 05/24/22
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Leupold CDS is a pretty easy way to do things, and it works for hunting situations. They're not made for guys that like to twist turrets like an etch-a-sketch, but fine for hunting. Get a VX-2 or better in the 3-9 or 2-10 range with a CDS and you will be fine.

I'd go with a VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 CDS-ZL. Get a bunch of ammo and figure out your turret settings, get the custom one cut and have a ball.

You'll need the "bunch of ammo" just to get the scope in reference sighted in. I had 2 of that exact model of scope give up the ghost on me, and both did it in under 300 shots. I've had trouble with a few other Gold rings as well. I moved on to other brands and haven't looked back.

I'll give a 3rd vote for the SWFA 3-9 or the NF 3-10. Perfect scopes for the stated uses. Can't go wrong with either.

I'd stay away from BDC turrets and reticles. They needlessly complicate the process of hitting mid range and far off targets. Measuring reticles can be used with any load in any atmosphere.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: All around rifle scope - 05/24/22
The two options I'd consider would be a 3-9x40 Burris Fullfield II with Ballistic Plex reticle, or the 2-10x42 Tract Toric.

The Burris costs about 1/4 as much, but they're very reliable, the optics are as good as some expensive Euro-scopes costing 4-5 times as much, and the reticle very consistent if you practice as much as you should.

The Tract comes with an built-in, easy-to-set adjustment stop on the elevation turret, and the optics are a notch higher.

What you might do is buy a Burris, then practice with it out to 500, and if it doesn't work for your needs, then buy the Tract. (There's a ready market for 3-9x40 FFIIs on the Campfire Classifieds, at about 80% of new price.) But after considerable experience am betting the Burris would work.

As another comment, from somebody who has not only hunted some but also guided, many hunters tend to think 9x or 10x isn't enough for shooting big game at 500 yards. This has not been my experience. In fact have killed plenty of much smaller varmints with 9-10x at 500--and big game out to 350 with iron sights.
Posted By: Slecken Re: All around rifle scope - 05/25/22
Thanks for all of your feedback. Going to continue to research and figure out which way to go.
Posted By: Brad Re: All around rifle scope - 05/25/22
Well said John...
Posted By: memtb Re: All around rifle scope - 05/25/22
Pretty hard to beat something with good glass, good mechanical reliability, in somewhere around 2-8 or 3-9 power. Though, a 3.5-10 is what I’m using these days…. But, a shot may be over 500:yards as of the last 10 years or so! memtb
Posted By: RGK Re: All around rifle scope - 05/25/22
Also a vote for the Burris Fullfield II 3-9X with the ballistic-plex. Been playing with a couple now on a 6mm and a .308 Marlin lever. Excellent scopes. Bought another as a spare.
Bob
Posted By: Dre Re: All around rifle scope - 05/26/22
Vx3i 3.-10 with CDS as mentioned will do you just fine. Plus it’s light and bright.
Might also look at meopta and tracts
Posted By: kk alaska Re: All around rifle scope - 05/26/22
Had a Rem 280 LH KS my Leupold 2.5X8 would not adjust 17 shots, after it came back from Leupold sold it and put on a Weaver Tactical sighted in in 2 shots. Bought a LH Forbes 280 AI and it wears a SWFA 3 x 9 very happy with it.
Posted By: Slecken Re: All around rifle scope - 05/27/22
My 700 KS 280 is a lefty as well. Love that gun.
Posted By: jc189 Re: All around rifle scope - 05/27/22
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Slecken: My full custom pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in caliber 280 Remington has a Leupold 4x12 variable with adjustable objective and Du-Plex reticle on it.
I have been MORE than happy with this set-up. And I have Hunted all manner of game with it including Blacktailed Deer, Antelope, Mt. Goat, Black Bear, Mule Deer, Elk, Whitetailed Deer and Coyotes.
Leupold & Stevens Corporation - a fine AMERICAN Company.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I agree with this. Good advise I'm Happy with mine also. You wont be sorry going with the 4-12 power. you may not need the 12 power much, but its nice to have when you get that opportunity 400-500yds out. Its also nice at the range when zeroing your rifle. Its easier to see bullet holes on paper.
Posted By: Bugger Re: All around rifle scope - 05/27/22
FX 6x
I like the Trijicon Credo 3-9x40 with a Mil-Square reticle. Lightweight, good glass, illumination, made by LOW in Japan. The Mil-Square is good for elevation holds should you need one. Has capped turrets and 1” tube so not one you would dial but a really great hunting scope.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-...1-in-Matte-Black-Riflescope-2900042.aspx
Posted By: hookeye Re: All around rifle scope - 05/30/22
Been running Leupold for 40 yrs.
They work as set and forget, and older models.look good on classic rigs....but damn if they aint a PITA to zero ( VX3i and under models ).

Had a Trijicon Accupoint and it was fine, not the best glass though. Did like the amber triangle for in the woods.

Thought maybe Steiner GS for my Steyr, but seems like a glorified Burris.

A Jap Zeiss might do the trick.

For clicking and varmints on a .22 250 proly go w SWFA
Posted By: Ringman Re: All around rifle scope - 05/30/22
I am looking to get a new scope for my Remington 700 KS in 280 rem. Mostly hunt deer and hogs but will be taking the occasional trip for elk and moose. Shots no more than 400-500yards. What do you all recommend? Thanks.

My "all around scope" is a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 or a March 2 1/2-25X52. One cost about $750 the other ab out $2,500. I tried lots of other brands and magnifications, but this is where I landed.
Bushnell LRHS2
Swfa 3-9x42 HD
Swfa 6x
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
For a no frills bang around scope, I always liked the vx-II 3-9x40's for some reason.
I was just thinking the same thing
Not fancy not expencive and I never had one fail
Posted By: Trystan Re: All around rifle scope - 06/05/22
Not very many scopes get extremely negative reviews however Leopold does! A smart person would pay attention and ask themselves why that is! If your not smart enouph to wonder why that is than asking questions on a gun forum will likely serve zero purpose other than to stroke your feelings with lies and bliss!

Good luck

Trystan
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: All around rifle scope - 06/05/22

Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x50 with the #93 reticle. Thank me later. smile

https://redhawkrifles.com/used-zeiss-conquest-v4-4-16x50-rifle-scope/
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x50 with the #93 reticle. Thank me later. smile

https://redhawkrifles.com/used-zeiss-conquest-v4-4-16x50-rifle-scope/

Having had and used many scopes mentioned in this thread, the new Zeiss Conquest rifle scopes really intrigue me. However, the price tag is a little steep. At "$800" for a used rifle scope, that is pushing it. When I think "all around" rifle scope for any new rifle I get, I tend to always go back to one in particular. The Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle. That scope works very well, I just wish I had more on hand. Needing a good scope for 1 new/used rifle I just bought, so it looks like I'll spend the measly less than $150.00 for a good all around scope for that new rifle. It doesn't happen often that you find something that works so well and doesn't break the bank, but the Burris does it.. I prefer the looks of the older American made FFII's, but the newer ones work well and seem to have good coatings on the glass and are pretty clear. I'll eventually try one of these new Zeiss rifle scopes because I know the quality of the glass is exceptional, but the price point keeps me away, when considering a scope for a run of the mill hunting rifle.
Posted By: ShaunRyan Re: All around rifle scope - 06/05/22
Any well-made fixed 6X floats my boat. Have run or am running FX II 6X36, FX III 6X42, Meopta Meopro 6X42. Would like to try a Kaps Classic 6X42, Schmidt & Bender Klassic 6X42, Kahles Helia 6X42, and even the Super Chicken 6X42, just for grins.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: All around rifle scope - 06/05/22
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
Any well-made fixed 6X floats my boat. Have run or am running FX II 6X36, FX III 6X42, Meopta Meopro 6X42. Would like to try a Kaps Classic 6X42, Schmidt & Bender Klassic 6X42, Kahles Helia 6X42, and even the Super Chicken 6X42, just for grins.

The S&B 6x42 and the SWFA 6x42 are two mainstays for me. I posted earlier in this thread with a couple of recommendations........and I made the assumption the OP would be looking at variable scopes. The S&B and SWFA 6x42's are very dependable all-around scopes....being fixed, they are more dependable than a variable of the same build quality (though it may never make a difference).
Posted By: kandpand Re: All around rifle scope - 06/05/22
I like the 6x42's also. I have Leupold FX3's, Meopta Meopro, and a Sightron Big Sky. I had a IOR and foolishly sold it.
Posted By: SWJ Re: All around rifle scope - 06/07/22
@JCMCUBIC, Jordan, Kaleb and Mule Deer

Tract 2-10 or 3-15 vs SHV 3-10 -- splitting hairs or one better than the other? Zero stop and price seem to be the main difference in favor of Tract and illumination in favor of SHV?

Thanks
Posted By: vixen Re: All around rifle scope - 06/07/22
I have several Burris Verositys and am well satisfied with them. They offer different power ranges which should be of your choice. Optics are great and I don't think you would be sorry about buying one.
If your hunting in FL mostly you will be shooting game in the jungle and open areas. And thats an assumption I am making due to your location. So what has worked me here has been a VX3 3.5-10x40 and a Z3 3-10x42 Swaro. I hunt anywhere here in the east with either set up and would take either out west for elk or moose. They are mounted on medium weight , all weather type rifles in 270 or 7mm08 respectively. I consider all around type equipment on that it works great on what do 90% of the time and will get the job done well on the other 10%. I have many rifles and scopes but consider these two as all arounders for my hunting whitetail and hogs here in FL and in Alabama where
I mostly hunt.
Posted By: AKARoy Re: All around rifle scope - 06/07/22
I've had good experiences using a Vortex Diamondback 4X12 BDC reticle (minus the eye relief), or if you can find them a Leupold VX 1 4X12 BDC reticle. I'm not much of knob turner but enough time at the range and you can make most long range shots necessary using the reticle. Ultimately comes down to how well the scope can hold a zero IMO and the amount of range time with your rifle. Both scopes have been mounted on my Tikka SL in 30-06.

Quick story on the Diamondback. While deer hunting in Kodiak I accidentally dropped my rifle scope side on some rocks. Didn't have time to re-zero before the hunt, hiked around a while before making a 230yd shot on a blacktail. Flew the rifle back home. Reticle hadn't moved at all and was perfectly accurate. Not bad for a $250 scope. Biggest complaint is the 3" eye relief which is ultimately why I upgraded. On a .30 cal rifle you'll get scoped. Not sure the recoil of the .280 rem. But you might be okay.

Just upgraded to a Tract TORIC UHD 3-15X42 BDC which I'm excited to test smile.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: All around rifle scope - 06/07/22
Originally Posted by SWJ

Tract 2-10 or 3-15 vs SHV 3-10 -- splitting hairs or one better than the other? Zero stop and price seem to be the main difference in favor of Tract and illumination in favor of SHV?

Thanks

IMHO, it depends on what a person favors in "better".

Comparing the Toric 2-10 and SHV 3-10:
Toric is lighter (18.6 oz) and 1"
SHV is heavier (22.2 oz) and 30mm
Both have really good glass and user characteristics
Eye relief is longer on the Toric but both are usable
I prefer the T-plex to the Forceplex but both are good.
I like the zero stopped elevation option on the Toric....the option to cap it is also nice.
Toric is a longer scope (13.2"), SHV more compact in overall length (11.6")
The mounting length on both is pretty close: Toric 5.33", SHV 5.1"
Both have dialed/adjusted reliably for me
Both are 1/4 moa adjustments

I've been very happy with both. I'd guess the SHV is likely more rugged simply due to the 30mm tube and the shorter oal....how much more I really can't say...but it's something to consider.
Posted By: SWJ Re: All around rifle scope - 06/07/22
Originally Posted by SWJ

Thanks

I like the zero stopped elevation option on the Toric....the option to cap it is also nice.

I've been very happy with both. I'd guess the SHV is likely more rugged simply due to the 30mm tube and the shorter oal....how much more I really can't say...but it's something to consider.

Thanks for the info and insight. Forgot about the weight and length difference, but not really much with either. way My son felt like his 3-10 SHV made his Tikka feel too top heavy (IDK) so I just picked up a Toric 2-10 with the BDC. He liked Burris FFII BDC I had on another rifle and I wanted to try a Tract product. Interested to see how the BDC and zero stop tall turret work together. Haven't mounted or shot the Toric yet but couldn't really see that much difference between them but a few hundred bucks.
Originally Posted by SWJ
Originally Posted by SWJ

Thanks

Thanks for the info and insight. Forgot about the weight and length difference, but not really much with either. way My son felt like his 3-10 SHV made his Tikka feel too top heavy (IDK) so I just picked up a Toric 2-10 with the BDC. He liked Burris FFII BDC I had on another rifle and I wanted to try a Tract product. Interested to see how the BDC and zero stop tall turret work together. Haven't mounted or shot the Toric yet but couldn't really see that much difference between them but a few hundred bucks.

Your son sounds like a smart kid. Kind of had things figured out with that Burris FFII, I'm assuming ballistic plex reticle, as they don't call it a "BDC".. You could have saved a lot of money and fu cking around by just going the same route..
Posted By: pete53 Re: All around rifle scope - 06/14/22
i am sure there are plenty good scopes out there today. but i have a story about a scope its a Burris 1-6 x 28 tactical 30 tube illuminate ability too. my buddy " Paws " a black cat with 4 white feet ,this ten year old cat don`t ever go any place he`s a fixed male and very loving only to me. well he climb up on my gun rack that is up about 7 1/2 feet high and knock my critter killer rifle down . the rifle is a Ruger laminate s.s. chambered now in 22 K-Hornet with this 1-6 x28 Burris scope on it , it landed on the cement floor scope hit 1st and it has some dings on it now but the stock was cracked real bad in back part of the reciever. rifle and scope did not look to good and the cat got a swear word or 2 . i set up a target and shot this rifle believe it or not off a rest it still shot in the bulleyes.the stock was cracked real bad and kinda would cut a person with the sharp wood sticking out so i removed the scope i took it to a great gun smith named Stu in St. Cloud MN. and he fixed my stock to near perfect. i got home and replaced the same marked up scope back on this Ruger rifle that had Ruger type reciever rings on it and wondered what and where this beat up scope was going shoot ? beleave it or not this marked up cement banged Burris 1-6 x28 tactical scope still shot in the center of the bulleyes on the 1st shoot and now is still killin critters dead. matter fact i put another one on a new AR-15 rifle sold 2 more because i am a dealer ,and now i plan on keeping some of these Burris 1-6x28 scopes in stock now. heck you can buy them for under $400.00 why not ? if i get to go to AFRICA this will be the scope i plan on taking with a spare too. good luck with what you choice for a scope. Pete53
Posted By: 257Bob Re: All around rifle scope - 06/14/22
For me, the intersection of price/reliability/value/function/eye relief = my last five purchases, Leupold 5HD, with another on the way.
Posted By: cdg Re: All around rifle scope - 06/15/22
I have a Swarovski Z3 3-10X42 (BRH Reticle) on a Fierce Fury 7mm-08 and a Burris FFII 3-9X40 Ballistic Plex Reticle on a Kimber Montana 6.5CM.
The Z3 is a bit brighter but for my hunting range which maxes out at roughly 500 yards the FFII does everything I need it to for 1/4th the cost.
Posted By: mwarren Re: All around rifle scope - 06/19/22
Swaro Z3 3-10x42 with 4a reticle. Perfect for a KS in 280 Rem IMO
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: All around rifle scope - 06/19/22
Originally Posted by 257Bob
For me, the intersection of price/reliability/value/function/eye relief = my last five purchases, Leupold 5HD, with another on the way.

I bought a 2-10 on impulse, mounted it on a known-to-be-accurate rifle.

Fired one shot, made adjustments to get it to 1.5" high at 100 yards, shot landed right where it was supposed to.

Next shot was at 325 yards, dialed up and got a hit on a small steel gong. Back to 100, and groups were very nice. Right where they should be.

A comprehensive test it wasn't, but I liked how it did that and the glass in that scope is nice, but rifle/scope are kinda heavy so I don't use it much. But it shore do shoot nice!

I also have an SHV, an NXS, and a couple-three Super-chickens, and of those, I favor the SHV, a 3-10.
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: All around rifle scope - 06/19/22
Everyone has an opinion - backed up with good and valid reasons - so my version of the single best answer to your question is a Leupold (take you pick of generation, they are all good, or good enough) in 3x9. Why? That's what I use for that application. I am a hunter, not a target shooter/turret turner BTW: set and forget! KISS.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: All around rifle scope - 06/22/22
My .280 wears a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x CDS, which I have used for years on all manner of game. It is a fairly lightweight scope, and in Talley LW mounts, rifle and scope all up weighs only 7.7 lbs. My dial is calibrated for the Barnes 140 gr. TTSX, and it would be hard to imagine a more versatile, and effective, bullet/scope combo for use on all but the very largest of big game, IMO.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: All around rifle scope - 06/23/22

Lots of great optic options these days but Leupold VX-5 HD checks alot of boxes for those that know.
Posted By: slm9s Re: All around rifle scope - 06/23/22
Vortex Razor LHT 3-15x42, comes with illuminated reticle, awesome mag range, a reliable locking turret, and good weight (a lot of features in 19oz). My go-to elk scope.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: All around rifle scope - 06/23/22
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Lots of great optic options these days but Leupold VX-5 HD checks alot of boxes for those that know.
Wish they had more non CDS models.

Regular capped adjustment knobs are fine for my uses.
Use to be that a 3-9x40 was considered a good all around rifle scope.
Posted By: Westman Re: All around rifle scope - 06/23/22
For years my rifles have worn Leupy M8 6X42's. 7 mag, 7x57, and 338.06 most often used. Simple and love the eyebox...

Lately I have been messing around with Burris Fullfield II 3-9X with the ballistic-plex and I think they punch way above their weight class. I don't think you could go wrong with one. But, I am no expert!
Posted By: JDK Re: All around rifle scope - 06/23/22
Just picked up 2 of the 3-9s for $109 each. Pretty darned hard to beat them at that price
Posted By: Borchardt Re: All around rifle scope - 06/23/22
Get rid of that crappy .280 and get something with a bolt knob the size of a fragmentation grenade and a $4000 scope with knobs as big as baby food jars.

Tacticool, Baby.
Posted By: Bugger Re: All around rifle scope - 06/23/22
I’d go with a quality 6x scope.
Posted By: Swede65 Re: All around rifle scope - 06/23/22
All around for me is a Meopta 6x42.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: All around rifle scope - 06/23/22
I like either 3X15 or 4X16 for my all round scopes
Posted By: ruraldoc Re: All around rifle scope - 06/23/22
Originally Posted by JDK
Just picked up 2 of the 3-9s for $109 each. Pretty darned hard to beat them at that price

I just ordered two myself when I saw the price,are they still made in the Philipines? Just as good as they were a decade ago?
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
Originally Posted by JDK

I just ordered two myself when I saw the price,are they still made in the Philipines? Just as good as they were a decade ago?

Mine are supposed to arrive today. I was told that they are manufactured in the Philippines (I'll respond when I get home if they are there). No idea about their durability but I asked on here a while back and was told they were.

I should mention that I have an slightly older Fullfield II (2021) and it has been fine.
Yes, they are made in the Philippines
Posted By: drover Re: All around rifle scope - 06/24/22
Originally Posted by JDK
[quote=JDK]Just picked up 2 of the 3-9s for $109 each. Pretty darned hard to beat them at that price

I have read through this thread and can't find which scope you are referring to - please enlighten me, I could use a decent scope for a loaner rifle.

drover
Posted By: kandpand Re: All around rifle scope - 06/24/22
They are referring to a Burris FFll 3-9x40
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: All around rifle scope - 06/24/22
Originally Posted by JDK

A decade ago they were made in the Philippines.

Don't remember the exact year the production went there, but it was before 2012. Do know that instead of just having a factory over there make an approximation, Burris provided the tooling and instructed the workers on how to use it. (Have written about this many times before.)

Have found the Philippine FFIIs just as good as the American-made version. In fact, the only 3-9x40 FFII I've had to get repaired was my last U.S.A. scope--which had been on a BUNCH of rifles over the years. This was a couple years ago, and Burris got it back to me within two weeks, and it's been working fine ever since.
Originally Posted by kandpand
They are referring to a Burris FFll 3-9x49

I know that is a typo, but it is the FFII 3-9x40. Also, anyone that buys the standard reticle is wasting money. The ballistic plex is where its at. Its simple, yet very effective. When I refer someone to a great scope, I always have to add. Get the ballistic plex reticle.
Posted By: Ndbowhunter Re: All around rifle scope - 06/24/22
anyone got a link for it at 109?

got a couple kids i could line out.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: All around rifle scope - 06/24/22
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
anyone got a link for it at 109? got a couple kids i could line out.

If you can't find one for that price new, on-line, they often show up used for around that on the Campfire Classifieds. I have purchased several that way.

Plus, Burris has a lifetime warranty, no matter who bought the scope originally. Have only had to use it once--as mentioned above, with a USA-made scope that had been on a BUNCH of rifles over the years.
Posted By: drover Re: All around rifle scope - 06/24/22
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by JDK
[quote=JDK]Just picked up 2 of the 3-9s for $109 each. Pretty darned hard to beat them at that price

I have read through this thread and can't find which scope you are referring to - please enlighten me, I could use a decent scope for a loaner rifle.

drover
Thanks, I just couldn't make the connection to it.

drover
Posted By: kandpand Re: All around rifle scope - 06/24/22

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000MM2QSK?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Posted By: ShaunRyan Re: All around rifle scope - 06/24/22

Yup. I gifted the one I had, going to buy another for a backup.
Posted By: ShaunRyan Re: All around rifle scope - 06/24/22
Another all-arounder I really liked was the Kahles AH 3-9X42 TDS. Wouldn't mind finding another, or the 2-7 version.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: All around rifle scope - 06/24/22
Dang, that’s tempting, even with one NIB on the shelf. That’s almost in Barska territory.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: All around rifle scope - 06/24/22
Originally Posted by JDK

drover

That’s a concept worth of a thread of its own. Except for family and maybe one hunting friend, there’s no one I’d loan any gun to; been the case even before the current Age of Insanity.
Posted By: erich Re: All around rifle scope - 06/24/22
When I was putting on shoots for the predator hunting club the Burris FF-II 2-7 was one of my goto prizes, never heard a complaint about them. I did get one that was fuzzy for me and sold it, the person that bought it thought it was great. It might not have had enough adustment for me as it was before my cataract surgery. I have one of the 3-9's in my amazon wish list, trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on it, I usually shy away from anything higher than 2.5x on the bottom end due to the fact I much prefer FOV over X's and really like to see at least a 40' FOV on the bottom end of my scopes.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: All around rifle scope - 06/24/22
I went to variables after years of fixed 6x for same reason and since most scopes are now fully multicoated and very bright. I can't imagine you would find 3x lacking or problematically different than 2.5x. Yo feel there would be a situation where 3x was too much in real world terms? Do you have the listed FOV for each ?

Another thing, word has gotten out on those Burris ( partly to blame here) - I would jump on it if price is still in range.
Posted By: erich Re: All around rifle scope - 06/24/22
My Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10 comes in with an FOV of 41.5' and the Burris FF-II 3-9 is listed at 33' both on the bottom end. That is quite a difference. I used a Sightron 2 3-9 for a while and felt quite claustrophobic after shooting 1-4 and 1.5-6 scopes most of the time. I have a hard time imagining shooting a fixed 6x for called coyotes in the brush or still hunting whitetails in northern WI or MN
Originally Posted by erich
When I was putting on shoots for the predator hunting club the Burris FF-II 2-7 was one of my goto prizes, never heard a complaint about them. I did get one that was fuzzy for me and sold it, the person that bought it thought it was great. It might not have had enough adustment for me as it was before my cataract surgery. I have one of the 3-9's in my amazon wish list, trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on it, I usually shy away from anything higher than 2.5x on the bottom end due to the fact I much prefer FOV over X's and really like to see at least a 40' FOV on the bottom end of my scopes.

I tried the FFII 2-7 and it sucked balls. I would never suggest that scope to anyone..
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan

Yup. I gifted the one I had, going to buy another for a backup.

Damn, that is a great price. I remember paying $175 for the first one I bought back in 1998!!
Posted By: JDK Re: All around rifle scope - 06/24/22
Natchez has them on sale for $135 + shipping + tax. Someone posted those earlier.

Erich, same here. A compact 2-7 is what I prefer as an all-around scope. I like that big field of view on 2 power. 7 power is more than enough at reasonable extended range.

Made a 400 yd on a caribou and 500 yd shot on a moose with a 1.5-5. Ive shot moose n caribou using 2-7, 1.75-5, 1-4, 1.5-5, fixed 2.5 and fixed 2.75 scopes.

The 2-7 scopes are just as light, compact and handy as the others, but that 7 power is nicer at extended range. Much brighter/crisper image at max power, over my 1.5-5 scope as well.

Forgot to add:

Anytime i head out via freighter canoe on Alaskan rivers n creeks, every rifle needs to be a "mountain" rifle. Every rifle is a "dangerous game rifle".

The 10 oz -12 oz 2-7 scopes check both boxes........
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: All around rifle scope - 06/24/22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I tried the FFII 2-7 and it sucked balls. I would never suggest that scope to anyone..
Schitty eyebox at top end?
If rifle fits properly and scope ring height is set up to the shooter, even the supposed finicky scope-to-eye alignment on the burris 2-7 is of little concern.

Between 2 alaskan hunters that ive hunted alonside, Ive seen the burris 2-7 scopes account for 2 caribou and 3 moose.

The key, is stepping away from paper targets and forums.........

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: North61 Re: All around rifle scope - 06/24/22
Leupold VX3 2.5-8x.. 11 oz of scopey goodness!!!!
Posted By: bowmanh Re: All around rifle scope - 06/24/22
I don't know about the 2-7x, but the 3-9x40 eye box is just fine for me. Some of these low price deals are tempting but I've already got a couple of 3-9x40 w/ Ballistic Plex that aren't mounted yet, so I'll pass. But they are great budget scopes and don't give up much to other scopes at several times the price. I'll admit that the eye relief is a little short for heavy recoiling rifles, but otherwise I see few flaws. If you want to dial or want extreme low light performance, there are obviously better choices, but for an all around relatively light set and forget scope they are hard to beat.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: All around rifle scope - 06/24/22
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

Possibly but if it's like a 1-8x I have then it's a pain for me to get behind at top power, maybe even a bit at 7x. Not sure if it's my glasses or just how the scope is.

Was a complaint of a lot of folk with the Redfield Revolution 2-7x as well.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: All around rifle scope - 06/25/22
My experience is that many (if not most) folks who try the 2-7x35 FFII fail to mount it for optimum eye relief--which at 7x is the same as the FFII 3-9x at 9x. I know this because I've actually measured the eye relief in many of each. Since the exit pupil of the 2-7x on 7 is slightly larger than the exit pupil of the 3-9x is slightly larger, this result in a larger "eye-box."

Otherwise, the major difference between the scopes is the length of the tube--which is why many can't manage to mount the 2-7x for optimum eye relief on 7x. It's pretty easy to do on a short bolt action, but not so much on a long action.

But this is mostly irrelevant, since Burris discontinued the 2-7x a couple years ago.
Posted By: drover Re: All around rifle scope - 06/25/22
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by JDK

drover

That’s a concept worth of a thread of its own. Except for family and maybe one hunting friend, there’s no one I’d loan any gun to; been the case even before the current Age of Insanity.

I can't disagree with you on that although I may except a couple of family members - laugh
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: All around rifle scope - 06/25/22
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
My experience is that many (if not most) folks who try the 2-7x35 FFII fail to mount it for optimum eye relief--which at 7x is the same as the FFII 3-9x at 9x. I know this because I've actually measured the eye relief in many of each. Since the exit pupil of the 2-7x on 7 is slightly larger than the exit pupil of the 3-9x is slightly larger, this result in a larger "eye-box."

Otherwise, the major difference between the scopes is the length of the tube--which is why many can't manage to mount the 2-7x for optimum eye relief on 7x. It's pretty easy to do on a short bolt action, but not so much on a long action.
Needs mounted farther back??
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Schitty eyebox at top end?

Schitty eyebox in general. And no, mounting the scope is not hard to do like JB is suggesting. You don't just throw the mother fu cker on and call it good. You mount it for proper eye relief. What a fu cking joke that guy is.. This schit isn't hard..
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: All around rifle scope - 06/25/22
[/quote]
Needs mounted farther back??[/quote]

Needs mounted so the eye relief is correct for the shooter and rifle, just like any other scope.
Posted By: SLM Re: All around rifle scope - 06/25/22
It’s all some have.

Posted By: JGRaider Re: All around rifle scope - 06/25/22
That is one badasss pic.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: All around rifle scope - 06/25/22
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Bushnell LRHS2
Swfa 3-9x42 HD
Swfa 6x

Hard to argue with these.

Bb
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: All around rifle scope - 06/25/22
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by JDK

drover

I can't disagree with you on that although I may except a couple of family members - laugh

Yeah, most of us have a couple of those, though my herd is getting pretty thin.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: All around rifle scope - 06/25/22
If rifle fits properly and scope ring height is set up to the shooter, even the supposed finicky scope-to-eye alignment on the burris 2-7 is of little concern.

Between 2 alaskan hunters that ive hunted alonside, Ive seen the burris 2-7 scopes account for 2 caribou and 3 moose.

Ha Ha, a picture is worth...it also speaks well to the reliability if it holds up in those conditionsgrin

mike r
Posted By: kwg020 Re: All around rifle scope - 06/25/22
I have a 30mm Vortex 2.5-10 on my Savage 308. I think that is about as versatile as a person can get. If I should need to I'm pretty confident I can make a 500 yard shot on any thing. Mostly where I'm at 250 yards would be a long shot.
kwg
Posted By: GreggH Re: All around rifle scope - 06/26/22

A lot of truth in that last sentence. BC’s and turrets really don’t mean Jack to most hunters here.

GreggH
Ivmiker and Greggh,

Honestly, hunting optics are the least important piece of hunting equipment in my 20 years of hunting in Alaska. Plenty of great riflescopes out there below the $300 mark. Same with binocs too.

Same with reloading equipment. I have a cheap lee reloader kit thats produced accurate, reliable ammo for 18 years.

My most important pieces of equipment are my river boat, dog team, mushing equipment and freight sleds. Without those, I couldnt break into the remote, roadless territory that i get to see.

So many wasted words on optics around here, oftentimes by guys who dont do sht.

My binocs are a beat up pair of burris 10x32mm signature that are 12 years old.

Give me a basic 10-12 oz 2-7 compact scope with a ballistic recticle, and ill hike mountains allllll day.
Fullfield II 3x9’s are on sale right now for $109 on Amazon. Nothing compares for that price. Nothing.
Posted By: armdealer Re: All around rifle scope - 06/30/22
looks great
Posted By: GreggH Re: All around rifle scope - 06/30/22
Originally Posted by Condition Yellow
Fullfield II 3x9’s are on sale right now for $109 on Amazon. Nothing compares for that price. Nothing.

Wished could get some of those in standard plex.

GreggH
© 24hourcampfire