Home
Posted By: MosesTucker Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 08/27/22
Just picked up a Polar T96 in 3-12x54 and I am excited! I hunt large fields and food plots for Whitetail deer, hogs, and coyotes in the southeast. Would love to hear any personal experiences with the scope and particularly the things that are most important to me, low light performance and clarity.

Thanks!
Posted By: FSJeeper Re: Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 08/27/22
I can't wait to hear about your impression of it.

This one is on my bucket list.
I turned 50 this year and decided to treat myself! Has been a bucket list item for me too. I will let y’all know for sure!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 08/28/22
Wow, that thing’s impressive. Not as heavy as I’d expect either.

Congrats!
Thanks, Pappy!
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 08/28/22
Have the same scope.....you won't be disappointed!!!
Thanks 300!! I’m excited for sure!
Posted By: SDupontJr Re: Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 08/29/22
I had been talking to Bobby Tomek on the site for a while and getting his opinion on them. He probably has more experience with Low Light optics than anyone on the site and his input helped me tremendously in my decision to spend the money. I too hunt fields and open plots but most of my hunting is dense hardwoods where it will block out the sun way before legal times here in Louisiana. Most that hunt out west and up north don't understand how dark it can get fast. There is one area on my 150 acres that its still legal light and without the polar, you just simply can see, let alone 30 min after sunset. So I decided to pull the trigger on it. I went with the 4-16x56. I wanted the extra magnification because I do make trips out to south west Texas in wide open mesquite fields. You will also like the illumination system if your model has it. The polar has the ability to be turned down so low that the illumination doesn't over power your pupil, thus making those last minute shots very capable. I too am 50 and my eyes are going down the toilet. I only wish I would have talked to Bobby sooner and pulled the trigger on one sooner. You'll enjoy the heck out it. Picked up a scopecoat as well to protect it. Here is mine on my tikka 308.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Originally Posted by SDupontJr
I had been talking to Bobby Tomek on the site for a while and getting his opinion on them. He probably has more experience with Low Light optics than anyone on the site and his input helped me tremendously in my decision to spend the money. I too hunt fields and open plots but most of my hunting is dense hardwoods where it will block out the sun way before legal times here in Louisiana. Most that hunt out west and up north don't understand how dark it can get fast. There is one area on my 150 acres that its still legal light and without the polar, you just simply can see, let alone 30 min after sunset. So I decided to pull the trigger on it. I went with the 4-16x56. I wanted the extra magnification because I do make trips out to south west Texas in wide open mesquite fields. You will also like the illumination system if your model has it. The polar has the ability to be turned down so low that the illumination doesn't over power your pupil, thus making those last minute shots very capable. I too am 50 and my eyes are going down the toilet. I only wish I would have talked to Bobby sooner and pulled the trigger on one sooner. You'll enjoy the heck out it. Picked up a scopecoat as well to protect it. Here is mine on my tikka 308.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Thanks so much for sharing! Reading Bobby‘s posts and information on various threads was super helpful for me as well. It’s really good to read your first-hand experience. I eased into the water by picking up a fixed six power S&B Klassik last year and was impressed with it, but the Polar was the goal. The conditions and variations of your hunting set up are exactly like mine. I spend a lot of time in the hardwoods and Pines. And you are right, especially on an overcast evenings you lose light well before legal shooting is over.

Mine is going in a Tikka as well! That is a nice looking rig there.
Posted By: BillyE Re: Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 08/29/22
What reticle did you get? I went with a D4 on the 2-10x50 I ordered earlier this year. I also ordered a Klassik 8x56 with an L3 and took these plus a VX-5HD 2-10x42 that I had for comparison several evenings as the sun was going down. Maybe it wasn't a fair comparison, but both S&Bs were much sharper as light got dim. I can't say that the Polar was that much better than the Klassik 8x56, but it might have had a slight edge in brightness. I prefer the reticle on the Polar and of course the variable power. So, if I had to choose between them I'd choose the Polar but not because the image is significantly better.
Posted By: SDupontJr Re: Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 08/29/22
I too had a Klassik, 2.5-10x56. Actually bought it from Doug (site sponsor) years ago. Was a very nice scope. The one thing that I noticed from the Polar to the Klassik is the illuminated dot on the Polar is like a pin prick and to my old eyes, can be turned lower output setting than the Klassik. Which is better for low light hunting. The polar did also allow me to see longer until total darkness. Oh and BTW, if you have legal shooting times where you are, you better watch out. With clear skies and a little moon light, I could easily go to jail for making shots well over 100 yards at night using only a very little moon light and the illumination.
I went with the illuminated D4. Man I hope it is brighter than my Kassik fixed power!!! Because it sure cost a lot more. But honestly if it gives me five more minutes of shooting it’s worth it to me. I know it’s not worth it to a lot of people but I will spend 30 or 40 evenings a year and there’s no telling how many good bucks I’ve killed in that last few minutes in the pines or hardwoods or at the far end of a field.

And that’s not to mention the meat does I will shoot after waiting to the last minute, and the hogs. Spread out over a decade it is about $150 a year. Worth it to me. I k ow everyone is different.
Posted By: BillyE Re: Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 08/29/22
I believe the laws are 30 minutes after sunset in LA and NC. If those are the rules you are hunting under, I'd think that less expensive scopes would also work. I've made much later shots using a 30 year old Leupold, but conditions were ideal in those cases. As far as comparison with the Klassik I own (just that one 8x56), I have to say the improvement is slight. I doubt that image quality between these two scopes will ever make or break a shot. I still doubt I'll reliably get 60 minutes past sunset unless conditions are right. YMMV.
Posted By: GreggH Re: Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 08/29/22
Originally Posted by MosesTucker
I went with the illuminated D4. Man I hope it is brighter than my Kassik fixed power!!! Because it sure cost a lot more. But honestly if it gives me five more minutes of shooting it’s worth it to me. I know it’s not worth it to a lot of people but I will spend 30 or 40 evenings a year and there’s no telling how many good bucks I’ve killed in that last few minutes in the ponds or hardwoods we’re at the far end of a field.

And that’s not to mention the meat does I will shoot after waiting to the last minute, and the hogs. Spread out over a decade it is about $150 a year. Worth it to me. I k ow everyone is different.

I get it! Try 1 hour after sunset here in SC. Following with interest.

GreggH
Originally Posted by BillyE
I believe the laws are 30 minutes after sunset in LA and NC. If those are the rules you are hunting under, I'd think that less expensive scopes would also work. I've made much later shots using a 30 year old Leupold, but conditions were ideal in those cases. As far as comparison with the Klassik I own (just that one 8x56), I have to say the improvement is slight. I doubt that image quality between these two scopes will ever make or break a shot. I still doubt I'll reliably get 60 minutes past sunset unless conditions are right. YMMV.

Billy, in your first post you said both scopes were significantly better than the Leupold. I currently have a couple of VX-5’s and one VX-6 so that’s pretty good to hear. Thanks for sharing that.
[/quote]Most that hunt out west and up north don't understand how dark it can get fast. There is one area on my 150 acres that its still legal light and without the polar, you just simply can see, let alone 30 min after sunset. So I decided to pull the trigger on it. I went with the 4-16x56. I wanted the extra magnification because I do make trips out to south west Texas in wide open mesquite fields.[quote]

+1

Yeah the same ones that tell you a 3-9x40 will work and that is all one needs. I gave up trying to convince people that thought that way. I have spent a small fortune on lowlight stuff the last 20 years and finally have what I need.

I sold my Polar a few years ago (2.5-10x50) when I sold my 7mm Accumark that it was mounted on . I guess it was the 34mm tube and limited mounting options . I still have S&B, Leica and one Swaro lowlight scope. I also have 10x56 SLC bins which are incredible in lowlight. They are really fun to use in the dark .

It was not unusual to hunt an hour or more after sundown in AL since there were no fixed laws on shooting time where I hunted. They have since changed it to 30 minutes after sunset but I can still see the benefit of great optics.
Posted By: Stadle01 Re: Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 08/30/22
Just picked up a Polar T96 in 3-12x54 and I am excited! I hunt large fields and food plots for Whitetail deer, hogs, and coyotes in the southeast. Would love to hear any personal experiences with the scope and particularly the things that are most important to me, low light performance and clarity.

Thanks!

Good for you! Everyone's eyes are different, so get what works best for you. I hunt some thick stuff in Western Wa. I have a really nice elk on my wall because my hunting partner could not see out of his scope and mine (Zeiss Diavari FL) was as bright as high noon.
I'm envious, wish I had one. You have to give us a quick write up after using them a few times, please.
Posted By: WAM Re: Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 08/31/22
If it’s significantly better than a Kahles Helia C 2.5-10x50, I need to get one!
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
I'm envious, wish I had one. You have to give us a quick write up after using them a few times, please.

Yessir I absolutely will! Will give a first impression then will do a follow-up after a few days afield this fall.

Thanks!

Here she is!!!

Attached picture 5F30E204-A0C6-4E98-B4CA-6F7848F80689.jpeg
Good luck hunting with it this year.
Posted By: SDupontJr Re: Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 09/01/22

Thanks!

Here she is!!!

Very Nice. Is that an aftermarket stock or did you paint it?
Thanks! DuPont, stock is a McMillan Edge fill. Like it a lot.
Posted By: BillyE Re: Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 09/01/22
I'm interested to hear your thoughts. I will be using my Polar for the first time this season and I will hunt the entire legal time if I can still see. My experience in the open area that I hunt is that light gets quite poor around 40 min past sunset on a clear day, absent any moonlight. I'm interested to see if that holds true with the new scope.
Roger that Billy!

Just got back from the range and shot half-inch groups with
160 Nosler Partitions
160 Accubonds

Shot a 1.5” group with Hornady ELD-X 162

Right at an inch with 168 grain Bergers

Super clear day here I was shooting at about 4000 feet in elevation and only at 100 yards. The clarity was amazing. First and initial impression is really good and I’m excited to hunt with this scope and rifle combo.
Posted By: FSJeeper Re: Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 09/01/22
Moses, I am super interested to hear your comparison between the Polar and the Klassic 8x56 in low light. I can't wait to hear your opinion on how big of a difference there is between the two scopes.
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
Moses, I am super interested to hear your comparison between the Polar and the Klassic 8x56 in low light. I can't wait to hear your opinion on how big of a difference there is between the two scopes.

I’m definitely excited to see how it does in low light. The 8X56 was amazing but I really need the variable power for Woods hunting inside of 75 yards. I may be way off on this, and I no longer on the Klassik so I can’t do a side-by-side comparison, but this T96 polar is the brightest scope I’ve ever looked through. Bright and clear. I’ve never had a high-end Swarovski but I have had a couple of Z3’s and I had a Meopta R1 that was incredible. But this scope is crystal clear edge to edge and I really like the crosshair. The focus is amazing with my aging eyes. Now I just need to check lowlight clarity and brightness.
Posted By: FSJeeper Re: Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 09/01/22
Originally Posted by FSJeeper

I’m definitely excited to see how it does in low light. The 8X56 was amazing but I really need the variable power for Woods hunting inside of 75 yards. I may be way off on this, and I no longer on the Klassik so I can’t do a side-by-side comparison, but this T96 polar is the brightest scope I’ve ever looked through. Bright and clear. I’ve never had a high-end Swarovski but I have had a couple of Z3’s and I had a Meopta R1 that was incredible. But this scope is crystal clear edge to edge and I really like the crosshair. The focus is amazing with my aging eyes. Now I just need to check lowlight clarity and brightness.

Would tonight be a good night to test it?
Would tonight be a good night to test it?[/quote]

No I will get home late. But tomorrow morning will. I will let you know for sure
Finally had a chance to do some low light testing. The scope is definitely impressive. It is clearer and brighter than my VX5 and 6. Where I notice it is that the VX-5 & 6 seem to get a little bit blurry before they lose complete light gathering ability. Not sure if that makes sense but scanning along a field edge about 200 yards away things just stayed crisp in the Polar. And went a good ten minutes longer.

I can’t compare it to the Klassik because I don’t have the scope anymore but that would be a fun comparison to do. I did, however, compare the Klassik to the two Leupolds and to be honest I felt like they were on par with each other. I know everyone’s eyes are different but we are off and running with this new Schmidt and Bender!!

The true test will come this fall an actual hunting application. My first three days rifle hunting will be the last week of October and I’m headed down to a farm in Central Georgia to hunt with some family and friends. Then here in western North Carolina I will be hunting Thanksgiving week and the two weeks following in the mountains, in the hardwoods with no canopy left. Excited to try those applications. December I’m headed to Wyoming for a cow elk hunt, and then in January I will be hunting in Alabama, again on some open fields. I’m going to take notes along the way observing light gathering in different conditions and it will be fun to do an exhaustive review after all of the seasons are over.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 09/03/22
Moses,
Curious as to the size of the objectives on the VX5 and 6 that you are comparing the Polar to.
Posted By: BillyE Re: Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 09/03/22
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Moses,
Curious as to the size of the objectives on the VX5 and 6 that you are comparing the Polar to.

I’m also interested. I made some comparisons with a 2-10x42 5HD and thought the same thing. I wasn’t sure if it was the objective or the scope series.
Posted By: FSJeeper Re: Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 09/03/22
I did, however, compare the Klassik to the two Leupolds and to be honest I felt like they were on par with each other. I know everyone’s eyes are different but we are off and running with this new Schmidt and Bender!!

Yes, it is amazing how varying opinions on the same scope can vary. So far, without question, the 8x56 S&B is the best low light scope and brightest daylight scope I have seen with my eyes. I have 2 other S&B's with the 4x36 being number 2, and 2 Swaro Z-6s. The 8x56 for my eyes is without a doubt significantly better.
Great comments and observations, FSJeepers. And I don’t take anything from my Klassik for sure. It was super clear. And actually looking through my notes from last year it did appear clearer compared to my VX5 and held light 5-6 minutes longer. I hadn’t remembered that when I posted earlier, so I apologize for that. That is substantial, for sure. I think this Polar is a bit clearer and brighter than the Klassik though. It is amazing.

Coyote and Billy, My current comparisons are a VX-5 3-15x44 and VX6 HD is 3-18x50. Definitely tried to compare with comparable exit pupils. My testing included comparisons on the same power, and also light gathering comparisons on the same exit pupils. For sample I tried to get an exit pupil of 5 comparison as well as a 4.

The Polar was far and away better in each category.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 09/03/22
Although the 8x56 is big.
This is what you have to keep in mind.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Performance in twilight per dollar spent is off the chart.

Dave
MT
Welcome to the S&B family.
It's an investment you'll never regret.

Dave
Thanks Dave!!
Dave

What kind of reticle on the 8x56 ?
https://www.optics-trade.eu/us/schmidt-bender-klassik-hungaria-8x56.html

The A7

Dave
Thats a smoking deal on that scope. I have only had for a fixed scope 6x42 S&B . I'll have to try that one out.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 09/04/22
Congrats on a great low light scope MT. And thanks for the the comparison with the VX5hd 3-15x44.

I have had three of these on my go to hunting rifles for a while, and am happy that they tested within ten minutes or so of your Polar. Especially considering the 10mm smaller objective, 1/4 lb lighter weight and 2K more in the wallet.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't like one however.

I look forward to your field observations after this season's hunts.

That is my favorite reticle for twilight or dark woods hunting.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 09/04/22
Originally Posted by BrowningGuy88

That is my favorite reticle for twilight or dark woods hunting.
Mine to.
Back in the day ...1986 I picked up a 1.5-6x42 with the 4A reticle. Still have it . It still works. Back then the A7 was the no.4.
Very useful in the dark.
If its to dark to see the fine part of the reticle the heavy part still shows up.
The square heads hunt at night.
There's a reason the reticle is as heavy as it is.
There not target scopes.

Dave
Heck, buy one of those and send it to S&B North America to change out the elevation dial to their BDC turret, get 3.2 mils of elevation for like $350. Might not be a bad option....
Posted By: CRS Re: Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 09/05/22
Where is the best place to buy a S&B? I did not see them at Cameraland.
Originally Posted by CRS

I bought mine from EuroOptic. They were good to work with for sure. I also got a set of 34mm Seekins rings from them.
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Heck, buy one of those and send it to S&B North America to change out the elevation dial to their BDC turret, get 3.2 mils of elevation for like $350. Might not be a bad option....

Thanks for that. I am gonna look into that for sure.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 09/05/22

I received a Klassic back from them last week. They do the work fairly quick. I'm not sure if they do it for all scope models but I've had it done for several Klassics. It's not the best for a dedicated long range shooting rifle, but for a 500 yard hunting scope the BDC turret is really useful.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I received a Klassic back from them last week. They do the work fairly quick. I'm not sure if they do it for all scope models but I've had it done for several Klassics. It's not the best for a dedicated long range shooting rifle, but for a 500 yard hunting scope the BDC turret is really useful.

JC and Kimber, that sounds like exactly what I’m looking for. 500 yards would suit my shooting needs so that’s good to hear. Do you have a link to that website? I’m not sure I’m at the right site but I’m really interested in this.
Originally Posted by CRS

There is only one place to buy a S&B in the US and that is Eurooptics and Scopelist(owned by Eurooptic)

You can buy them internationally from OpticsTrade
I was looking at the 8x56 that dave7mm posted above. Buy that and send it in for a BDC elevation turret for another $350.
Posted By: BillyE Re: Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 09/07/22
Where are you guys finding these aftermarket services, like the BDC dial?
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 09/08/22

If you visit the following and click on the USA section of the map you can email Mr. Ricker (service) for information about adding a BDC dial:

https://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/contact.html
Posted By: BillyE Re: Got a S&B Polar Ordered! - 09/09/22
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

If you visit the following and click on the USA section of the map you can email Mr. Ricker (service) for information about adding a BDC dial:

https://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/contact.html

Thank you
© 24hourcampfire