Home
Specifically:
Athlon Optics Midas HMR 2.5-15x50 - BDC 600A SFP IR vs Leupold VX-3HD 4.5-14X40 SIDE FOCUS CDS-ZL WIND-PLEX

I've got the Leupold currently setup on one of my hunting rifles and appreciate the quality of glass and the light weight.

How does the Athlon compare in terms of glass / image quality? I can get either for roughly the same price, so the decision boils down to overall fit, finish and quality. The rifle is a 7.5 lb 30-06 used for hunting everything from white tail to hogs.
Many will cry the Athlon is made in China as they type on their keyboard from the same land. I am currently using three Athlons and have been very impressed. I am more of a Duplex or 4A kinda person but I am liking the 600 reticle.
While I try to avoid deliberately supporting Chicom, sometimes there's just not much you can do. One thing I'll say for Athlon is that they are seemingly forthright about their sourcing. A lot of optics companies wrap themselves in an American flag with a bunch of marketing rhetoric about a few parts of the process that are done in the USA.

I don't run any Athlon, but people seem happy with them. For not a lot more you could get into a Bushie LRHS/LRTS or a DMR. They've been very good for me and they seem about the best value that I've used, unobtainable SWFA's notwithstanding.
I wouldn't own either....
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder
Many will cry the Athlon is made in China as they type on their keyboard from the same land. I am currently using three Athlons and have been very impressed. I am more of a Duplex or 4A kinda person but I am liking the 600 reticle.

Good for you, keep helping the Chicoms they are your friend.
I have an Athlon Midas 6-24x50 and a number of older Leupold VX-III's and VX-3's, mostly 2.5-8x36 and 3.5x10x40. I think the Athlon is a better dialing scope, but the Leupolds are light and have served me well as hunting scopes. I haven't used the latest VX3 HD scopes, although I have a relatively new VX6 1-6x24 that I like.

I'd say the choice depends on what features are important to you. I'm not wild about buying scopes made in China, so I may not buy any more Athlons.
No thanks on the Chinese scopes. There’s plenty of noncommunist options.

What non-Chinese options are there for keyboards?
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

What's a keyboard?
You use it to play piano.
Could we please keep this somewhat on topic? Looking for quality comparisons between the upper end Athlons and the Leupolds. Thanks guys.
I've got those exact scopes here.

To my eyes (excellent uncorrected vision with just a touch of rt. eye astigmatism), they're a push optically.

As an aside, I can't tell any significant optical differences between the Leupold HD and an earlier VX3 series.

I will add that both the HD and VX3 Leupolds have been excellent in tracking and holding their zeros.

Good shootin' -Al
Originally Posted by Rickshaw

Oh Ok. Thanks for the clarification.

Let me clear up the plugging Computer to Optics comparison . All Computers are built in the Far East mainly China, the consumer has no choice.

Scopes are made in the US,Japan, Philippines, Korea and a number of other countries not named China.

Those that want to support CHICOMS buy their products.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Let me clear up the plugging Computer to Optics comparison . All Computers are built in the Far East mainly China, the consumer has no choice.

Scopes are made in the US,Japan, Philippines, Korea and a number of other countries not named China.

Exactly
I just picked up a cheaper Athlon for my cousins’s old 22 semi-auto since he & wife want to shoot more - was shocked at how nice the image quality is for a less than $140 scope. Haven’t mounted it yet gunsmith adding a rail to the old gun.

I Like my Leupold VX3 4-14x50 quite a bit & would likely avoid Chinese if the options were anywhere close in cost/performance.

When I put a new scope on my do everything 7mm I went with the Zeiss Vx4 4-16x50 lighted hash marked reticle & dialing for about $100 more than the Leupold & am happy with the choice. Might be heavier than you like but the optics are great & mine dial very reliably.

I get what you're going after as far as availability and choice, but as far as optics go, it's not so clear cut. Scopes use componentry from all over. Just because a certain scope is assembled in a certain country doesn't mean whoever buys it isn't supporting Big Red China.

Very few scopes can legally have "Made in USA" stamped on them.

What's a keyboard?

It's the thing that comes up on your phone when you respond to this thread.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

What's a keyboard?

It's the thing that comes up on your phone when you respond to this thread.

Oh that thingie grin
Originally Posted by Starbuck

I get what you're going after as far as availability and choice, but as far as optics go, it's not so clear cut. Scopes use componentry from all over. Just because a certain scope is assembled in a certain country doesn't mean whoever buys it isn't supporting Big Red China.

Very few scopes can legally have "Made in USA" stamped on them.

Athlon and a few others make their optics entirely in Wuhan land. They don't exist to me.
OldKchunt,

The magnitude of your Imagination and Pretend,is rather "impressive"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute". Pardon wares that exist,as you Pretend aloud. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
I hear a particular Brokedick Alaskan can't afford really good glass and they settle for that. Rots of Ruck .
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
I've got those exact scopes here.

To my eyes (excellent uncorrected vision with just a touch of rt. eye astigmatism), they're a push optically.

As an aside, I can't tell any significant optical differences between the Leupold HD and an earlier VX3 series.

I will add that both the HD and VX3 Leupolds have been excellent in tracking and holding their zeros.

Good shootin' -Al

Originally Posted by Woodsman1991
Could we please keep this somewhat on topic? Looking for quality comparisons between the upper end Athlons and the Leupolds. Thanks guys.

I have not used the ChiCom scope but can say the Leupold VX3 HD is solid.

Hard to spend money on ChiCom when a great USA option is available.

Lots of good optics these days.
The BTR is a great scope and checks many boxes. I have a few Midas'...no problems at all.

So, just for clarification - you don't support China by buying chinese optics - you only support them buying electronics... OK - got it......LOL
As I own several of each there is no point in comparing.

Rather like a Benz vs a Lexus (the latter is also CHICOM sourced)

But for serious use it's Swaro, Zeiss, SchmidtBender or Kahles.

HINT: You don't need a separate scope for each rifle any more than you need three wives.
To everyone who added something useful in regard to the quality and functionality of the two options, thank you! To those complaining about the Chinese origin, try to provide some more useful insight in the future. Bitching about China doesn't help anyone make decisions regarding performance.

Went with the Athlon Midas Tac 6-24 and will compare it with my Leupold once it gets in as well as my Athlon Argos 6-24 if it hasn't sold by then.
Originally Posted by UpThePole
As I own several of each there is no point in comparing.

Rather like a Benz vs a Lexus (the latter is also CHICOM sourced)

But for serious use it's Swaro, Zeiss, SchmidtBender or Kahles.

HINT: You don't need a separate scope for each rifle any more than you need three wives.

Nor do you need a rifle for every scope.

But, where's the fun in any of that? Why play the swap around game - for now this is still America, where we are free to have as many scopes with their own rifles attached as we see fit.

Having a huge pile of rigs set up and ready to go is a physical salute to the fantastic possibilities of life in this country.
Back to rule #1------

If you spend more for the rifle than the scope, you made an error.

Case in point.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Swaro has yet to make a scope worth a fhuqk and if Oprah Economic "Rules" soothe you,then simply reiterate same. Hint.

It is Magnificently HILARIOUS,how ring spacing...escapes the abilities of Fhuqktards who espouse same. Not to slight the "grandeur" of Mall Ninja Safe Queen Fluff,which never gets actually used. Hint.

Flipside. HINT.

Bless your heart for TRYING though.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................
Originally Posted by UpThePole
Back to rule #1------

If you spend more for the rifle than the scope, you made an error.

Case in point.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's rather arbitrary to be a "rule".

I have SWFA's that I paid around $250 for sitting on rifles that cost many X that. Some are sitting in ring- rail combinations that cost near that amount. Some of the scopes in reference even came with a set of very solid scope rings for that price. These scopes perform much better than some scopes that I paid many X more for.
To everyone who added something useful in regard to the quality and functionality of the two options, thank you! To those complaining about the Chinese origin, try to provide some more useful insight in the future. Bitching about China doesn't help anyone make decisions regarding performance.

Went with the Athlon Midas Tac 6-24 and will compare it with my Leupold once it gets in as well as my Athlon Argos 6-24 if it hasn't sold by then.

I have the Midas Tac 6-24. It has been spot on for me. I do not do a lot of dialing, but what I have done has been spot on. I use it on a heavy .260 for deer depredation work. Good glass from a good company. They also have good customer service, with an in-house lab to check scopes for holding zero, etc.

To those that whine about Chinese optics, are you getting rid of everything else in your life that is made in China? The hypocrisy is stifling.
Originally Posted by RL

So, just for clarification - you don't support China by buying chinese optics - you only support them buying electronics... OK - got it......LOL

You have reading comprehension issues, please reread my post. I even bolded the type for you. I have no choice when it comes to electronics nor does anyone else. Scopes and optics are different.
Originally Posted by sbhooper

I have the Midas Tac 6-24. It has been spot on for me. I do not do a lot of dialing, but what I have done has been spot on. I use it on a heavy .260 for deer depredation work. Good glass from a good company. They also have good customer service, with an in-house lab to check scopes for holding zero, etc.

To those that whine about Chinese optics, are you getting rid of everything else in your life that is made in China? The hypocrisy is stifling.

What is stifling is idiots that support a product that can be bought somewhere else easily and don't just to save some money.
Originally Posted by RL

You have reading comprehension issues, please reread my post. I even bolded the type for you. I have no choice when it comes to electronics nor does anyone else. Scopes and optics are different.

No reading comprehension problem here but thanks for the "bolded type" as it makes my point very plain...oh, and I get it but you always have choices - you just justify those choices to suit your personal wants and sometimes needs. Your "holier than thou" attitude is what is hypercritical.

Buy what you want from who you want - more power to you. But to say someone who buys what they want from who they want is somehow less "patriotic" than you, is pure BS.

For what it's worth, I just recieved my Athlon Ares Spotting Scope - has great optics and will work well on our All American Ranch (well it did use to be part of Mexico).
What a lame derailment by grown ups acting like children. OP, Sorry your post went sideways.

Just curious, why are those your 2 options? IMO, there are better, more reliable choices. Why not start this over by indicating your budget and intended usage? Then maybe you might get some good recommendations.
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
What a lame derailment by grown ups acting like children. OP, Sorry your post went sideways.

Just curious, why are those your 2 options? IMO, there are better, more reliable choices. Why not start this over by indicating your budget and intended usage? Then maybe you might get some good recommendations.

All cool man - go back to sitting on your golden throne.

In my opinion, those two options are not bad at all. I personally like all of the Athlon line of optics because for me, I get a good value for my money. You are correct, there are other and maybe better choices, but as you pointed out, what is the budget? I really like the Nightforce optics I own but can't touch them for the same cost as the Athlon's or Leupold mentioned.

Well stated.
Currently you can get a Trijicon Credo at Euro Optics for almost the same cost as either of the 2 the OP mentioned. If looking at Athlon Midas HMR you may also want to look at a comparable Helos.

Huge saving going on atm and they are very well made scopes.
https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-Credo-Riflescopes.aspx?q=&o=3&p=1&i=48&d=48
Originally Posted by Overkill45
Currently you can get a Trijicon Credo at Euro Optics for almost the same cost as either of the 2 the OP mentioned. If looking at Athlon Midas HMR you may also want to look at a comparable Helos.

Huge saving going on atm and they are very well made scopes.
https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-Credo-Riflescopes.aspx?q=&o=3&p=1&i=48&d=48
Agreed 100%. A far better choice!

Agreed, wish we had an option to ban people from threads that we create. Maybe Rick could do that to help cut down on the clutter, as there are some VERY useful people posting here but a (few) couple folks really detract from the site.

As to my goals, I wanted to stay under $600 shipped to get something to go on a varmint and target practice rifle. I've got three rifles that it may go on, a 223, a 6mm rem, and a Cz 527 in 204 ruger. Shots to 500 yards at most realistically. I have very little experience shooting beyond 200 yards but from what I've played around with so far I know that I enjoy good glass with ability to zoom in enough to see hits at distance. I'm wanting to get enough practice in this year to extend my comfortable game and varmint shots to 300, maybe 400 yards. This means lots of practice out to 500 yards minimum. Plus I'm generally enjoying the challenge of learning to read the wind and account for it. I've got the Midas Tac 6-24 on order currently but I'd still welcome suggestions going forward. I enjoy reading from those who have knowledge and are willing to share it without jamming it down others throats as "gospel".

Agreed, wish we had an option to ban people from threads that we create. Maybe Rick could do that to help cut down on the clutter, as there are some VERY useful people posting here but a (few) couple folks really detract from the site.

As to my goals, I wanted to stay under $600 shipped to get something to go on a varmint and target practice rifle. I've got three rifles that it may go on, a 223, a 6mm rem, and a Cz 527 in 204 ruger. Shots to 500 yards at most realistically. I have very little experience shooting beyond 200 yards but from what I've played around with so far I know that I enjoy good glass with ability to zoom in enough to see hits at distance. I'm wanting to get enough practice in this year to extend my comfortable game and varmint shots to 300, maybe 400 yards. This means lots of practice out to 500 yards minimum. Plus I'm generally enjoying the challenge of learning to read the wind and account for it. I've got the Midas Tac 6-24 on order currently but I'd still welcome suggestions going forward. I enjoy reading from those who have knowledge and are willing to share it without jamming it down others throats as "gospel".

Helpful information there. Given what you just stated, I’m even more convinced the Trijicon Credo is what you want. Pretty close to your price range, there’s a Credo HX in moa 4-16x50 on sale for $699 now. Or the same Credo in mils for $599. It’s reliable, has excellent glass, and tracks properly. It’s a great deal for the Europtic price currently. Nothing else touches it at the price, imo. It’s a far better choice than any current Leupold or Athlon.

You've spent more time bitching about the sidebars than has been spent on the sidebars. Harden the fugk up and buy the Credo.

Buying Chinese scopes is dumb.
Also if you are looking at Chicom scopes i suggest you look at the Arkens. ATM you can get a Arken SH4 GenII for about $315 with rings. It will hold its own against the Midas anyday of the week. Its main drawback is weight. Its a monster of a scope.

Use code NSF$170 to get the Combo pack for a total of $315 for the 4-16 and $325 for the 6-24
https://www.arkenopticsusa.com/sh4-gen2-4-16x50mm-ffp-moa-vpr
https://www.arkenopticsusa.com/sh4-gen2-6-24x50mm-ffp-moa-vpr

If i had $600 to blow though....I would be all over that Credo. I cant think of anything that will touch it for the price accept maybe a SWFA SS 3-15x42 but those wont have illumination which is a deal breaker for me in FFP for hunting. Guys have beat them Credos to death and they keep going and going and going.
Originally Posted by Overkill45
Also if you are looking at Chicom scopes i suggest you look at the Arkens. ATM you can get a Arken SH4 GenII for about $315 with rings. It will hold its own against the Midas anyday of the week. Its main drawback is weight. Its a monster of a scope.

Use code NSF$170 to get the Combo pack for a total of $315 for the 4-16 and $325 for the 6-24
https://www.arkenopticsusa.com/sh4-gen2-4-16x50mm-ffp-moa-vpr
https://www.arkenopticsusa.com/sh4-gen2-6-24x50mm-ffp-moa-vpr

If i had $600 to blow though....I would be all over that Credo. I cant think of anything that will touch it for the price accept maybe a SWFA SS 3-15x42 but those wont have illumination which is a deal breaker for me in FFP for hunting. Guys have beat them Credos to death and they keep going and going and going.

I know a dealer in Az, that really likes the Arken. A friend of mine just bought one of the combos. We will see how it goes. He thinks that they are real comparable to the Midas.
© 24hourcampfire