Home
Posted By: noKnees Should I buy a aset of 10x42s? - 09/29/22
I hunt the Northeast and NC for whitetails and Ontario and NB for Moose, all of which is mostly pretty close country. I use a set of Meostar 8x32's and have been pretty happy with them.

However this year I went to Newfoundland for Moose and am booked for Moose/Caribou next year. Its much more open and the ranges are much longer and I think there will likely be a lot more judging of racks particularly for the Caribou. This years moose hunt was the first time I felt a little more bino than my 8x32s might be worthwhile.

So my question from folks who have used different binos in more open country. Am I likely to benefit from a set of 10x42s in a moderate price range ($600-1000) over my 8x32 Meostars for my Caribou hunt? If your answer is yes, any suggestions for a good value in the range. I can do new or used.
Unless your one of these guys on the 24 hr campfire who thinks he only needs 1 gun, 1 set of binoculars go for it. It really is OK to have different equipment for different purposes. So you have allready considered what you have might be lacking, do something about it instead of brow beating and jap slapping yourself for the thought...mb
My county has no shooting deer with less than13" spread measured inside (unless a spike). Considered shootable if curl is outside ears. I began using 8x56, went to 12x42, now use 15x56. I do not think you will gain much going from 8 to 10.
Originally Posted by cowboy77845
My county has no shooting deer with less than13" spread measured inside (unless a spike). Considered shootable if curl is outside ears. I began using 8x56, went to 12x42, now use 15x56. I do not think you will gain much going from 8 to 10.
Interesting restriction. Seems tougher to judge quickly when compared to the "3 points on 1 side" rule I used to have to follow in Arkansas. I wish Louisiana would go to a rule like that, and drop from 3 bucks a year to 2.
I’d get another set of Meopta 10x42’s HD’s myself if you’d like to have another bin. I can’t find anything to not like about any of my Meopta stuff.
A pair of 10X42 will compliment your 8X32 very well.

I keep a pair of 8X33 in a chest harness for offhand/on the move glassing, and 10.5X44 in my pack for tripod scanning sessions.
No
Yes. You will really like the increase. Quite a difference over 8s. Spend as much as you can. With glass, you get what you pay for.
I prefer 10x42 for open country hunting. 8x is great in wooded terrain, but I like the extra magnification where distances are greater. I use Swarovski SLC's but there are many good binoculars out there. The choice of brand and model mostly depends on how much you want to spend, but you'll use binoculars a lot in open country and high quality glass makes extended glassing a lot easier.
I had a similar experience as the OP’s. I have a set of 8x42 Leupolds that work just fine for me around home and when I head toward the southeast on trips. Last fall I went to Newfoundland as well and wished I had binos with some more power. I just bought a new set of Leupold BX4 10x42s and thus far am very pleased with them. You might want to check them out.
10X is worth it IMO, much more than that and they are no longer something most can hold with out some additional support.
I have a set of 10 X 40 or 42 zeiss that are very manageable to carry on a neck strap.
I agree, the 10x42's will help with your assessment of the animals at distance. Frankly, there are some good glasses available in that price range, and sometimes even Alpha glass.....

PM incoming.

Frog---OUT!
I went to Montana last year with a set of 8x42 and wish I would of went with 10x’s, which I’ll be getting a pair shortly. In this price range I would say to take a look at the Tract Toric’s and don’t look back.
Posted By: SLM Re: Should I buy a aset of 10x42s? - 09/30/22
Put the 10’s on a tripod and you’ll see a huge gain.
I went from 8x30 SLC to Victory RF in 10x42. Very happy that I did, can see what I need to see much better.
I hunt some very open country and utilize my 8x over my 10x most of the time. I like the wider field of view the 8’s provide and my shakiness seems amplified by the 10’s. I do always have a spotter with me if I need to judge anything at longer ranges.
Originally Posted by SLM
Put the 10’s on a tripod and you’ll see a huge gain.

+1.
I have 10x42 Swaros. They are great, but hunting western open terrain, I found my buddy's 12x were more useful.

Currently, the 10x are fine when I'm hunting around here until I get in dark, dense timber and I find myself wanting 8x binos archery hunting. At this point, I think I'd be happier with a 8x binocular and a 12x binocular.
Like having more than 1 rifle for different situations, having more than 1 binocular for different hunts is not a bad thing. I have 8x20's when I really need to go light, 8x30's for regular closer range hunts, 10x30's for most open country hunts and 12.5x40's for tripod use.
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Like having more than 1 rifle for different situations, having more than 1 binocular for different hunts is not a bad thing. I have 8x20's when I really need to go light, 8x30's for regular closer range hunts, 10x30's for most open country hunts and 12.5x40's for tripod use.

Yup. There's no 1 thing do all for anything. Different applications require different tools
I have a pair of Nikon Monarch 8x30's that I keep in my truck. I take a pair of Leica Geovids in 10x42 for hunting where I will be hiking quite a bit. For hunting that requires hours of glassing, like Coues deer in Arizona, I have a pair of Swarovski 15x56 SLC's. I carry a lightweight tripod for both the Leicas and the Swarovskis.

It greatly enhanced my success at spotting animals when I started using really good optics on a tripod. With the 15x56 glass I often leave the spotting scope at home or in camp.

On a given hunt I might spend hours a day looking through my binoculars but only 15 seconds or less looking through my rifle scope.

So when purchasing optics I spend a lot more on binoculars than I do on rifle scopes.
Originally Posted by JeffP40
Yes. You will really like the increase. Quite a difference over 8s. Spend as much as you can. With glass, you get what you pay for.

Yes................10x42 does it all.

Nothing wrong with 8's but I like a 42 over a 32 all day & twice on Sunday.

I've used Leica for a long time, but plenty of good glass available today at lower prices that what top glass was when there were fewer manufacturers.

But the glass is not the only consideration, mechanics & robustness count too...................buy the best you can afford. Buy once, cry once. Top end glass is not something you replace often as "better" glass in the higher end price range evolves very slowly over time.

YMHO, YMMV

MM
The Siggy 8x 6K's are fhuqking amazing. My 10x Geovid's were OFFICIALLY retired,after I installed the battery in the 8x. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The Siggy 10x 3K's DESTROY Geovids too. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just sayin'..............
Great night vision is what your sayin??? Haha
Originally Posted by Judman
Great night vision is what your sayin??? Haha

It's not legal to hunt blacktails on PW at night, Judman.

LiL Fish is strictly a LR hunter now, but he does not seem to have any pictures or videos.

Strange?
Her imagination and pretend knows no bounds!!!!

😂😂
Posted By: CRS Re: Should I buy a aset of 10x42s? - 10/10/22
I have used 10x42's almost exclusively for the last 20 years.

Have some 8x30's that went by the wayside. They might get used more since they sit by the window for looking at critters in the backyard or across the gulch. But not in hunting situations.

Had a pair of 15's that I sold, the 10's do just as good for locating criiters. If I need more than 10x, 15 is not enough. I go to the spotter.

That is what I have found works for me from the prairie to the Black Hills, Florida to Alaska, and Africa for good measure.
© 24hourcampfire