Home
Posted By: Moses Zeiss Conquest - 11/01/22
I walked in to a gun store in a neighboring county right as they had discovered 2 new Zeiss Conquests 3-9X40 (one black one silver) that had been sitting hidden in the warehouse for years. $464 each. The black one came home with me. It is going on a Sako Finnlight. The silver one might have looked great on the Sako. I just couldnt do the silver even though it looked good with the black turret caps. Never owned a Zeiss scope. Decent $464 scope?
Posted By: Bogtrotter Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/01/22
YES! I have four of them. You got a hell of a deal.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/01/22
If you are an old Leupold guy, there is a learning curve you will have to get used to...when you move the adjustment knob, the bullet impact will move a corresponding amount on the first shot. This can be scary for newbies...but you will adapt, eventually.
Posted By: Moses Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/01/22
This is good news to my ears. I am fighting the urge to go back and buy the silver one ($464)
Posted By: BubbaG Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/01/22
They have a cult following theses days. When they were in production, you could get one for around $350. $400 is a good deal now for one NIB now. You will pay more than that for a used one on ebay. They were/are pretty much considered the best scope for the money in their price range. In their day, they were competing with the VX3, Nikon Monarch, and Bushnell 4200. It can still compete with scopes in the same price range today so I would say it is a decent $400 scope with a great resale value. You will always be able to get your money back. If you don't mount it, you could probably get $500 maybe more on ebay for it. The silver ones aren't as valuable because silver isn't a popular color for a scope anymore but its still a good deal.
Posted By: Sbrown Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/01/22
I have two. Best money I have spent on a scope in that price range. Go back and buy the silver one.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/01/22
One of the best scopes for the money.

I believe they may have been made by Meopta to Zeiss spec's. Does anyone know if they were rebadged by anybody else after Zeiss quit having them made? I can't believe such a well regarded scope would have just been dropped altogether.
Posted By: Remington280 Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/01/22
I have three, one is Silver. They're fine scopes.
Posted By: mathman Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/01/22
The 3-9x40 Conquest has generous eye relief too.
Posted By: Moses Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/01/22
The silver one now sits on the Finnlight. With the color of the Finnlight, Kampfeld Campfire Knob with the silvery knob flutes, black cerakote bolt flutes... The other becomes my back-up scope.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/01/22
Originally Posted by Moses
I walked in to a gun store in a neighboring county right as they had discovered 2 new Zeiss Conquests 3-9X40 (one black one silver) that had been sitting hidden in the warehouse for years. $364 each. The black one came home with me. It is going on a Sako Finnlight. The silver one might have looked great on the Sako. I just couldnt do the silver even though it looked good with the black turret caps. Never owned a Zeiss scope. Decent $464 scope?

You did great on the black one. Most sell around $400+ used. That's almost a given. The silver scopes were a hot ticket a while back because no one makes them anymore, so guys that like them were buying them up. That was Leupold, Zeiss, Burris, etc. etc. I always thought the Zeiss silver conquest was a good looking scope because they also highlight it with black. Unlike other manufactures, where they are totally silver. At the $464 price, it's not a huge money maker, but a damn good scope. I probably would have bought both of them, especially if they were "new/old stock"..
Posted By: dale06 Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/01/22
I have a few Conquests, all higher magnification than 3-9. All are excellent.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/01/22
Originally Posted by dale06

I have a number that are 3.5-10 x 44, another excellent scope that was discontinued.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/02/22
Originally Posted by gsganzer
Originally Posted by dale06

I have a number that are 3.5-10 x 44, another excellent scope that was discontinued.

That is my favorite Zeiss Conquest. Many guys love the 3-9x40 though. Great scopes for sure. Keeping in mind that when/if you ever have to use the warranty and they decide to replace it, they are going to give you an upgrade like a V4 3-12x44. Keep in mind guys, that is a $700 rifle scope.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/02/22
I like em. The Zeiss Conquest are my favorite reasonably priced deer rifle scopes.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/02/22
I have one that lives on a 700 sporter .308.

I can't add much to what has already been said. It's a great optic that delivers more than its price tag might suggest. I liked it so much that I pulled a 2-10 Tract Toric off of my .308 and replaced it with the 3-9 CQ.
Posted By: mathman Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/02/22
Along with the generous eye relief I mentioned earlier, I also appreciate the ample bit of mounting length the 3-9x40 model offers.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/02/22
They did the duplex right too.
Posted By: mathman Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/02/22
They could have brought the thick parts in tighter.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/02/22
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
They did the duplex right too.

I like the #20 reticle as well.. Very useable reticle. Much like the Leupold duplex.
Posted By: Gibby Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/02/22
Originally Posted by mathman
The 3-9x40 Conquest has generous eye relief too.

Yep. 4" constant. from 3X to 9X.

Factory zero parallax at 100 meters.

Good glass.

I have one mounted on a .22lr Annie Sporter . Works great for a variable.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/02/22
So, is the 1" tubed conquest a zeiss product or a meopta product? I have two 1" zeiss conquests and two meopta meopro scopes........all super scopes....I tend to lean toward the zeiss eye relief and reticles, but the glass is pretty much equal.

Cabelas offered a meopro as the euro instinct a while back.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/02/22
Originally Posted by SCgman1
So, is the 1" tubed conquest a zeiss product or a meopta product? I have two 1" zeiss conquests and two meopta meopro scopes........all super scopes....I tend to lean toward the zeiss eye relief and reticles, but the glass is pretty much equal.

The Zeiss Conquest MC scopes were made for them by Meopta
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/04/22
Originally Posted by BubbaG
They have a cult following theses days. When they were in production, you could get one for around $350. $400 is a good deal now for one NIB now. You will pay more than that for a used one on ebay. They were/are pretty much considered the best scope for the money in their price range. In their day, they were competing with the VX3, Nikon Monarch, and Bushnell 4200. It can still compete with scopes in the same price range today so I would say it is a decent $400 scope with a great resale value. You will always be able to get your money back. If you don't mount it, you could probably get $500 maybe more on ebay for it. The silver ones aren't as valuable because silver isn't a popular color for a scope anymore but its still a good deal.

Try $299 when they first came out.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/05/22
Great scopes. But not for over $450. No way I would pay that. I would want to be at least a $100 less
Posted By: Moses Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/05/22
Didnt say I paid that. That is what was on the price tag of the "old" inventory scopes. Why are you shouting?
Posted By: drop_point Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/05/22
Beauty of the 3-9x40 version is consistent and better eye relief. Had the 4.5-14x version and it would be much closer to 3" on 14x.

Glass is pretty good, reticle is pretty good, and the examples I've had held zero and tracked. Good short-range scopes.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/05/22
Glad you found a good deal.
Posted By: slowr1der Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/05/22
I think $459 is a bit on the high side for them, however, I love mine. I wish I'd purchased several.
Posted By: remington Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/05/22
My favorite scope on my deer hunting rifles...I have 4 but wish I had bought more.
Posted By: Mideer3006 Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/05/22
Owned 2 for several years now, my favorite scopes.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/06/22
They are tender pieces of fhuqking schit,that can't/won't track,hold zero or repeat. Hint................
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/06/22
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by SCgman1

The Zeiss Conquest MC scopes were made for them by Meopta

Actually, while Meopta made MOST of the original Zeiss Conquests, Zeiss made the erector tube and its lenses, as they believed they could do that better.

However, those first Conquests were also the first "Zeiss" scopes that were sealed against atmospheric moisture, believe it or not. They were a result of Zeiss taking American hunting/optics writers on a tour of Zeiss factories in the early 1990s, when the Zeiss folks tried to persuade the writers that Zeiss were the best scopes in world--in spite of the fact that they were too heavy for American tastes--at least back then--and tended to fog inside. Oh, and they cost a lot more....

So Zeiss specifically "made" a scope for the American market.
Posted By: TWR Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/06/22
All I know is I bought a used 3-9 that has been beat on pretty hard it’s whole life and has the scars to prove it. But for $150 I had to see and set forth to mount it on my hard kicking Montana in 204 Ruger. It zeroed without issues and has glass that is as good as any I’ve seen.

I like it.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/06/22
The "Zeiss" name was/is borderline entrapment and many fell or it,but to date,none have panned out. Weather killed many. Hint.................
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/06/22
Only the 3-9X40 was made by Meopta. The others, including a 3-9X42 were made by Zeiss.

I have one with Zeiss badging that I paid $400 for about 15 years ago. That was the going price at the time. The now discontinued Cabela's Instinct scope is the same scope with Cabelas badges on it. Since then, I've picked up 4 more of the Cabela's scopes. I got one from the Bargain Cave for $250. One used at a gun show for about the same price. When Cabela's discontinued them they reduced the price to $200. I ordered 2 more.

Three of the 5 have multiple aiming point reticles, the other 2 are standard duplex. All are great scopes.
Posted By: RiddlerNumberOne Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/06/22
Good scopes, never had a failure.
Z reticles too busy for old eyes.
Gimme a German # 1 or 4.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/06/22
Woot woot
Posted By: Moses Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/06/22
Sighted one of them in (Sako Finnlight .243) no issues. Reticle adjusted precisely. Simultaneously sighting in a Montana 7mm08 with a Tract Toric 2-10. No issues. Both were an easy time at my range. .243 Barnes 80 gr TTSX. 7mm08 Barnes 110 gr TTSX that I've had stashed away.
Posted By: M1Garand Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/06/22
Probably my favorite scope, I have one on a M700 Mountain DM in 280 and other NIB still I haven't put on anything yet. IIRC they were actually made by Meopta.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/06/22
They were 300 whwn they were new back when. They are my favorite 3x9 scope ever made. Still a great option today. Almost recoil proof and like 4"+ of eye relief. Have abused some over the years on many 375s, 416s and 458s. Never had one go tits up
Posted By: Hammer2506 Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/06/22
Nothing beats them for the money
Posted By: gremcat Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/18/22
One of my favorites is the 1.8-5.5x38

Easy to get behind for young ones and pretty bright. My last one was slightly brighter than new one but new one is on an XBow with HHA Tetra rail so plenty good.

I wish I’d gotten the DL/Duralyte models when they came from Germany. The blue tint turned some off but it was optimized for low light euro hunting I had heard. The power ranges seemed right in line with larger objective but 2-6 ranges roughly. Hardly see now, like last Victory’s in 1.5-6x42 that liquidated cheap. When either come up they are a lot higher than new.

Conquests seem to be the same way lately commanding a premium over prior prices. Discontinued with demand resurgence does that. Take a look at CZ453 22s that could be had for $450 or less. CZ550s and 527s now too. 2-3x msrp or more.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/18/22
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
Nothing beats them for the money

There's 2 on ebay right now for $599.99...
Posted By: Phoneman Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/19/22
Funny i found this thread tonight. I had an instinct randomly crack a lense internally while sitting in safe and was replaced and promptly sold. Just came in from fondling my classic stainless 375 with a 3-9 conquest on top. When looking through it it looked like it crosshairs moved. You can hear something rattling inside of it. When it comes back from repair or replaced, one of yall that love em can get it.
Posted By: nuguy Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/19/22
Chances are you will get a New Zeiss Conquest V4 worth at least $700 since they probably don’t have parts to repair the original.
Posted By: 308ld Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/19/22
I've had four. Three 3-9X40 MC #20, one 4X32 MC #20. Two of the 3-9x40s went paws up. One I sent back to Zeiss. They promptly replaced it with a 3-9 TERRA. Sold the TERRA. One 3-9X40 showed up DOA, would not track horizontally. Returned for a refund.

The other two worked as expected. The 4X32 I have sold, but it was a nice scope just moved on. One 3-9X40 MC is still in service on a Ruger No.1 .257 Roberts.

Just my experience with ZEISS.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/19/22
As mentioned prior:

"They are tender pieces of fhuqking schit,that can't/won't track,hold zero or repeat. Hint................"
Posted By: Riflehunter Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/19/22
Just a word of caution with the Zeiss Conquests, don't be stupid enough to throw them in the lake so as to take photos. You'll start to have problems then, just like with any scope. But I'm sure most people on this forum aren't such dimwits.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Zeiss Conquest - 11/19/22
SniffleKchunt,

Your "critique" is especially fhuqking HILARIOUS,due your very WELL founded Insecurities...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Some folks actually Shoot/Hunt and you "get" to "read" about it. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
Posted By: Bkollock3470 Re: Zeiss Conquest - 12/01/22
I currently own 11 of these scopes. And would never part with one.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Zeiss Conquest - 12/01/22
Originally Posted by nuguy
Chances are you will get a New Zeiss Conquest V4 worth at least $700 since they probably don’t have parts to repair the original.

Bingo. That Conquest isn't coming back.
© 24hourcampfire