Home
Posted By: rocky_mtn Cheaper Athlon scopes - 11/08/22
I see some Athlon scopes getting good reviews on here, but they’re in the $500 range. How do cheaper offerings hold up in terms of durability and tracking? I’m thinking the Talos and Argos line, but I’d also be interested if people have experience with the cheapest models as well (Neos line I believe).
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Cheaper Athlon scopes - 11/08/22
We have been selling Athlon scopes for about 5 years now. They have excellent quality control. They offer the same lifetime no fault warranty as some other brands, however, you won't see numerous posts about that as their warranty claims are minimal due to the high quality control they have. Their scopes are dependable and repeatable
I’ve got 3 Argos and one Talos. I’ve dialed the Argos quite a bit. Always worked. One Argos rides in the truck all the time. Never missed a beat.
Athlons I have right now are Ares, Midas Tac, Argos and Talos. Pleased with all of them.
Helos 2-12 will be the next one.
Posted By: Bearded Re: Cheaper Athlon scopes - 11/08/22
I got a Helos 2-12 a few weeks ago. Sounded like a piece of metal was rolling around inside of it and the elevation turret felt broken. I didn’t investigate it, I’m not a scope doctor. I just sent it back to Amazon.

Athlon probably would’ve fixed/replaced it, and I’ll probably try another down the road if I don’t discover something else in the same mag range that is MIL/MIL with locking turrets and a decent reticle.
Posted By: sbhooper Re: Cheaper Athlon scopes - 11/09/22
Originally Posted by Bearded
I got a Helos 2-12 a few weeks ago. Sounded like a piece of metal was rolling around inside of it and the elevation turret felt broken. I didn’t investigate it, I’m not a scope doctor. I just sent it back to Amazon.

Athlon probably would’ve fixed/replaced it, and I’ll probably try another down the road if I don’t discover something else in the same mag range that is MIL/MIL with locking turrets and a decent reticle.

They would have. They have excellent customer service and an in-house lab to test scopes. I like the company.
Posted By: Ackman Re: Cheaper Athlon scopes - 11/09/22
Originally Posted by rocky_mtn
I see some Athlon scopes getting good reviews on here, but they’re in the $500 range. How do cheaper offerings hold up in terms of durability and tracking? I’m thinking the Talos and Argos line, but I’d also be interested if people have experience with the cheapest models as well (Neos line I believe).

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at how good those Argos scopes are. On sale at Cameraland awhile back at a great price, bought an 8-34x56 and am amazed at how good the glass and turrets are. Also have an Argos 6-24, same thing. Most recently an Ares 4.5-27, same thing. They hit way above their price point. Don't know about the lower powered scopes but definitely worth a looksee.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Cheaper Athlon scopes - 11/09/22
I've had a couple of the Talos 4-14X44 illuminated scopes I bought way back when the Helos were out of stock. It was more to satisfy my curiosity as espoused by the OP than anything else. I've since sold one and still have one on a Tikka 223. So far, I've found them to be as accurate, repeatable and reliable as my Helos scopes have been. Neither was on a heavy kicker. It's only a sample of two; but, so far, I've been satisfied with them.
I put a 2-10 on a 450 Bushmaster upper. So far so good.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Cheaper Athlon scopes - 11/10/22
Have my eye on an Argo’s 2-12 for a non dialing scope
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Cheaper Athlon scopes - 11/10/22
Originally Posted by Calvin

Please give a call, 516-217-1000, and we'll Black Thursday price it for you
Originally Posted by Calvin

Dialing mine hasn’t bothered it. If you would ever need.
Posted By: rocky_mtn Re: Cheaper Athlon scopes - 11/17/22
Any other experiences with the Talos? I'm looking at the 3-12x40.
Originally Posted by rocky_mtn
Any other experiences with the Talos? I'm looking at the 3-12x40.
That one looks like what I need on a 22.
© 24hourcampfire