Home
Posted By: acy Good dialing scopes under $1,000? - 11/13/22
I'm looking at replacing the scope on the rifle that I usually take on hunting trips when I leave the state. Not overly concerned about the glass. In my opinion, any decent scope is going to have glass that is good enough to do what rifle scope glass is supposed to do. My number one concern is with the internals. When I dial in an adjustment, I want it to go where it was adjusted immediately, not after two or three shots (or worse yet, some inconsistent amount). I've only dialed on half a dozen animals over the years; but when I do, I want dead nuts reliable.

I've read here about the Athlon Helos and SWFA. Seems as though guys are pretty happy with them. Anything else to consider?
Thanks, Al
Under $1k I would stick with SWFA.
Pretty hard to argue against the track record of the SWFA SS scopes, for reliability under $1,000.
Thanks guys. Kind of what I've been leaning towards. Just want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything.
Zeiss V4 Conquest scopes are good dialers
The original Bushnell lrhs has a solid track record if you can find one.
I have no experience with them but have noticed that Big Stick is pretty high on Arken lately. He does a lot of dialing and if you have ever seen any of his YouTube videos you know that he "tests" the durability of his equipment.
I know some are going to throw rocks here but my VX II Target scopes have always dialed spot on or I'll reword that have always dialed repeated. as well as the Leupold "AR" series Scopes I've got... same with the vari-x III ...
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

These are great. WHY did Bushnell go nuts with those goofy tactical reticles??? I love mine. Still remember how stunning it was to look through the eye box on this scope. It is huge. And the optics are very very good. Actually the first scope I thought of upon seeing the post.
You can get a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 from Doug at Cameraland on your budget. Kinda heavy but reliable.

The SWFAs that I tried were also good dialers. Lighter and much less expensive.

Okie John
May I suggest Athlon... the higher end models of course
If you’re interested in Athlon, I have a HELOS BTR Gen 2 in the classifieds for $425.
Sightron.
The scope I'm replacing is a Meopta Meopro. Can't really say anything bad about it, but for some reason it just doesn't give me warm and fuzzies. Thinking of putting it on a .223 bolt rifle. The Meopta replaced a Vari-x lll with an M-1 elevation turret. I've had it crap out on me twice. Once during a final shooting session just before a caribou hunt. Second time while just doing some shooting.
Haven't had problems, yet, with Leupold scopes that I don't try to regularly dial, but right now I won't trust one on this rifle.
I've been happy with SWFA ,Bushnell lrhs, Night force SHV ,Sightron S-tacs and S- III's , Athlon and a couple of Leupolds . Not hard to find scopes under $1k that perform these days. Finding one with a reticle you like for hunting is another thing .
Burris sucks,Meopta sucks,Zeiss sucks,Leica sucks,Leupold sucks and Sightron too. Hint................
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Burris sucks,Meopta sucks,Zeiss sucks,Leica sucks,Leupold sucks and Sightron too. Hint................

Big Stick, what scope would you put on a rifle that you were hunting elk, caribou, moose and African plains game?

You suck dicks and man camp, but aledgedly you have “Pards”…. I’m sure dialing comes in real handy with fed beach bears and full rut bucks…

Fuucking laughing………..
Originally Posted by acy

Big Stick, what scope would you put on a rifle that you were hunting elk, caribou, moose and African plains game?

He never has/will so he can’t answer that.

Hint…….
I barely have 100's of scopes,to the crying chagrin of Melting Snowflakes everywhere. Hint. LAUGHING!

The 2-12x BTR Gen2 Mil/Mil is a Peach,though I "only" have double digits of them. Everyone who visits,procures same. Hint................

Have you tried the vortex LHT 4.5-22x50? If so any thoughts?
The Trijicon stuff I’ve dialed with did it well.
Originally Posted by Akbob5
If you’re interested in Athlon, I have a HELOS BTR Gen 2 in the classifieds for $425.

Thanks for the heads up. I checked out your ad, and see that the scope you have is moa. I would prefer the mil in the Helos.
Black Friday swfa 3-15.
The 2-12x BTR Gen2 Mil/Mil is a Peach

+1

About to buy another. Don't see a better scope around in that price range and a good smidge above.

Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Yep. Suggest post a WTB in the classifieds here.

GAP still does the 4.5-18 LRHS2. Last one I bought was $939 IIRC.
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
I have no experience with them but have noticed that Big Stick is pretty high on Arken lately. He does a lot of dialing and if you have ever seen any of his YouTube videos you know that he "tests" the durability of his equipment.
The only thing stick dials are them homo phone sex numbers. LOL
Originally Posted by acy

Thanks for the heads up. I checked out your ad, and see that the scope you have is moa. I would prefer the mil in the Helos.

I as well. Thank you for looking. Bought them on a whim and decided to stay Mil across the board. Still for the MOA man, it’s a good deal.
Originally Posted by acy
any decent scope is going to have glass that is good enough to do what rifle scope glass is supposed to do.

Your point is fair enough though I can’t say that I 100% agree.

Just last month I had a deer at last light that I could clearly see through my Meopta 15x56 at 50 yards, in timber. For the life of me I couldn’t even pick up its outline in my SS 6x42 mil-quad and certainly couldn’t have made a responsible shot. Good thing it was a spike and I had no desire to shoot it anyhow. I can think of 3-4 other such instances. They’re awesome mechanically but the glass is sub par in low light and wasn’t “good enough” for me.
Originally Posted by irfubar
May I suggest Athlon... the higher end models of course

Can you see the reticles on lower power without illumination at low light with the Midas or Ares? The thin reticle has been my hang up.
I barely have 100's of scopes,to the crying chagrin of Melting Snowflakes everywhere. Hint. LAUGHING!

The 2-12x BTR Gen2 Mil/Mil is a Peach,though I "only" have double digits of them. Everyone who visits,procures same. Hint................

Post some pictures of game taken using said optics.

It'll be fun. wink
Zeiss Hd5
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by acy
any decent scope is going to have glass that is good enough to do what rifle scope glass is supposed to do.

Your point is fair enough though I can’t say that I 100% agree.

Just last month I had a deer at last light that I could clearly see through my Meopta 15x56 at 50 yards, in timber. For the life of me I couldn’t even pick up its outline in my SS 6x42 mil-quad and certainly couldn’t have made a responsible shot. Good thing it was a spike and I had no desire to shoot it anyhow. I can think of 3-4 other such instances. They’re awesome mechanically but the glass is sub par in low light and wasn’t “good enough” for me.

I can certainly respect your analysis. Are you going to swap out the SWFA? If so, what are you going with? My main goal in that statement was to try to make it clear that my emphasis is on the internals. Seems like some people are more interested in the glass than anything else.(Not suggesting you are one of those guys) "Doesn't track, isn't repeatable and barely holds zero, but damn, it has great glass."----- That's not what I'm interested in. I, too, have passed up shots on animals a couple of times that I could pick up with my binoculars, but not the scope. Life is full of tradeoffs.

Edit to add that the Meopta scope I mentioned in my original post has glass as good as any I've personally seen in a scope. As it was getting dark this evening I was watching several deer at the far end of my pond, about 250 yards, against a mixed pine and hardwood backdrop. I could check for antlers with my binoculars for a couple of minutes longer than I could with the scope.
I am not sure, for right now at least.
The vast majority of my shots happen in broad daylight and light transmission normally isn't an issue. SWFA's reliability and utility make up a lot of that lost ground.

I may try a few brands/models mentioned in this thread and if I find a hemi that still gets the good gas mileage, I would consider swapping that SWFA out but as of right now I am not aware of a better option that exists for what my overall needs are. The S&B PMII is another that I plan to look into.
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

It'll be fun. wink

Pictures of game? Who has time for that silliness when there's fish pictures to be taken. He seems to do a very good job of the staged rainbow tape photos. Recent pics of dead animals? LOLOLOLOLOL
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

It'll be fun. wink

Pictures of game? Who has time for that silliness when there's fish pictures to be taken. He seems to do a very good job of the staged rainbow tape photos. Recent pics of dead animals? LOLOLOLOLOL

Do you have some pictures of bucks you've killed in the past 5 years? Animals you've shot long range? Anything?
Originally Posted by acy

FWIW, we are offering the Athlon Helos BTR GEN2 2-12x42 for an insanely low price during our Black Friday week sale, however, as members here all you need to do is call us, 516-217-1000, as many of you already have to get that pricing now
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn

It'll be fun. wink

Do you have some pictures of bucks you've killed in the past 5 years? Animals you've shot long range? Anything?

I have bagged some Boone and Crockett class sock puppets.

But my real cred is in my staged pics.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by acy

FWIW, we are offering the Athlon Helos BTR GEN2 2-12x42 for an insanely low price during our Black Friday week sale, however, as members here all you need to do is call us, 516-217-1000, as many of you already have to get that pricing now

If you're looking for a good scope and pricing I wouldn't be passing this up... I'll be ordering one of these in the next couple days....
Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Zeiss V4 Conquest scopes are good dialers
You sir are correct and very repeatable.
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
The 2-12x BTR Gen2 Mil/Mil is a Peach

+1

About to buy another. Don't see a better scope around in that price range and a good smidge above.

Open Box... $479...

Going to try one of these on the 93Jimbo build...

Thanks Stick, SR and Doug...

Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by acy

That pic is like a bowl of Ramen noodles puked up after a couple bottles of MD 20/20... Plum Supreme.
She can only do her best,as she saves for her first camera and "lives" vicariously. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!

P.S. and by the way,you'd of saved goodly by calling Doug for NIB. Hint............

Thanks for the laugh smile
P.S. and by the way,you'd of saved goodly by calling Doug for NIB. Hint............

I have probably bought 30 scopes from Doug and Neil...

You make really stupid assertions and assumptions sometimes...

Regardless... Thanks for the opinion on the Helos... I have one inbound... we will see.

How is the eye box?

Of... nevermind... to you never answer questions... just type like Obiden talks...
Weren't my intent to hurt your VERY Tender Feelers,nor throw you into a punctuation Tissy. Hint.

I simply paid quite a bit less. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................
I simply paid quite a bit less. Hint.

You sound like a Wizard also...

How is the eye box?
I'm not the one asking questions and long ago coined my own punctuation. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
Originally Posted by Brad

Well, I never kill much other than time Brad, so I have to add value to 'Fire discussions in some other way.
Originally Posted by Brad

Well, I never kill much other than time Brad, so I have to add value to 'Fire discussions in some other way.

Being the Luckiest Guy on the Fire and the Official Spandex Test Dummy should be enough responsibility for anyone.😜
Originally Posted by acy
I'm looking at replacing the scope on the rifle that I usually take on hunting trips when I leave the state. Not overly concerned about the glass. In my opinion, any decent scope is going to have glass that is good enough to do what rifle scope glass is supposed to do. My number one concern is with the internals. When I dial in an adjustment, I want it to go where it was adjusted immediately, not after two or three shots (or worse yet, some inconsistent amount). I've only dialed on half a dozen animals over the years; but when I do, I want dead nuts reliable.

I've read here about the Athlon Helos and SWFA. Seems as though guys are pretty happy with them. Anything else to consider?
Thanks, Al

Check out the Arken website. Great deals on the 34mm SH series right now. And two new ones coming out with 30mm tube and Japanese ED glass for less than $500 including rings / throw lever / flip up scope caps. Arkens have very good glass and excellent adjustment.
I've not opened any Arken parcels,since this morning. Hint.

At least you gals can afford to "live" vicariously. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
She can only do her best,as she saves for her first camera and "lives" vicariously. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Better change bullets, shot that deer in half !

Damn. grin
120 Match Burner and they're the best BC Smooch to date,in a Carbon Queen. In that context,I think purty highly of 'em,though Venison do not. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
laugh laugh laugh
Hey Stick, I see that you are also running some Arken. How would you compare the Arken 4x16 to the Athlon 2x12? Reticle on both are illuminated and look pretty user friendly. Power range is close enough for my needs. Internals? Thanks for your input on this. I appreciate it. Al
I'm in double digits of each cited glass,obviously with all of both flavors being MIL/MIL. Hint.

By default of mass alone,the 2-12x is a better Utility glass,due the 10 ounces weight difference (25.5 vs 35.5). I reckon the 30mm and 34mm tubes skew same,for like reasons. Hint.

I'd reference the 2-12x as Killing Glass and the 4-16x as Giggle Glass for Play Toys. The 2-12's reticle and illumination are bolder,to quantify same. I quit trying to shoot "through" the 2-12's reticle,for tiny Agg's and simply subtend to TDC of the center dot and can due tidy work,as per whim. The Barkin' Arken reticle's floating center point,is VERY easy to shoot "through" and that by design. Hint.

2-12x out the kitchen window. Hint.

4-16x a bit farther from the porch. Hint.

Sighted in a NIB Arken yesterday,aboard a beloved 223AI and was done with a 250yd zero in (2) shots,then confirming come-up's in the morning's atmosphere. Athlon behaves in the same manner,meaning I've never had a tracking,repeat or zero retention issue in a fair representation of both(double digits). Hint.

To delve a bit more into Utility Killing,the 2-12's boast locking windage and elevation turrets,which the Barkin' Arken do not...though both have sound mechanical zero stops,on their elevation turrets. Both have 35 MIL's+ of elevation travel,which do not suck and trounces many. Hint.

The 2-12's erector is (10) Mil's per revolution,though the 4-16's is (8) for same. Given a choice,I'd prefer (10) per spin on the '16x,but I tend to pay attention to things a smidge,so it hasn't been anything approaching an "issue". Hint.

Now delving a different direction,the added ass of the '16x do soak recoil and I find it a viable benefit,upon multiple platforms. Namely upon several 7mm RemMags and 280's,slated to 180 ELD duties. It even enhances follow through on Rimfires. I've not set one atop a Play Toy and regretted or thunked about removing it. Hint.

Just sayin'.................
Thanks. Think I'll go with the Athlon.
Originally Posted by acy
Thanks. Think I'll go with the Athlon.

Call us, 516-217-1000, for Black Friday pricing now smile
Call them get the 8x32 sigs for $200 off while you’re at it.
I'm not the one asking questions and long ago coined my own punctuation. Hint.

I have one inbound and will report back about the Eye Box because you are too fugging stuipid and self absorbed to type a simple "Yes" or "No" answer.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............. at YOU...

Moron...
CreditQueen,

Your Drooling "report",is of less than zero interest. Pardon my words and punctuation,consuming you so,as you "live" vicariously and quantify how Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery. Hint.

I've not had said wares in tow,much longer than an hour ago. Pun be intended. Hint.

Pardon my being afforded the luxuries,of not being forced to guess,while you are unable to spell "stupid",yet are amazingly adept at conveying same on accident...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............
Are you as tall as a Hobbit Stick?

Otherwise... remount the optic.
CreditQueen,

I'm happy to be what ever you NEED most,as you "live" vicariously and quantify how Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery. Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart.

Hint.

Arrived today plus a nice bonus (Thanks Doug)

Good optic... Very clear glass... Love the FFP.

Nothing sloppy about anything...

The proverbial Eye Box question... very average/normal/mediocre for a typical $400-$500 2-12.
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Arrived today plus a nice bonus (Thanks Doug)

Good optic... Very clear glass... Love the FFP.

Nothing sloppy about anything...

The proverbial Eye Box question... very average/normal/mediocre for a typical $400-$500 2-12.

Thank you! Took us a while but we finally got the answer.
kchuntham,

You "we's" are STUPID Fhuqk's...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your poor poor(literally) hearts.

Hint.

Will sure be nice when gr8fuldoug get's you all the scopes you have on order so you can quit Fhuqking up every thread and get back to choking your chicken !!!!!!
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Will sure be nice when gr8fuldoug get's you all the scopes you have on order so you can quit Fhuqking up every thread and get back to choking your chicken !!!!!!

What does your post have to do with this thread? Maybe you should try rubbing your chicken and not worry about it?
buttcancer,

I REALLY enjoy your Whine...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Feel free to wax eloquent upon your Homoerotic Fantasies aloud. OOOOOPSIE! Too late. HINT.

Bless your "hard charging" heart.

Hint.

buttcancer,

I REALLY enjoy your Whine...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Feel free to wax eloquent upon your Homoerotic Fantasies aloud. OOOOOPSIE! Too late. HINT.

Bless your "hard charging" heart.

Hint.

Have you ever ponder litigation?

I think you have a real genuine case against your 3rd grade grammar teacher.

GOOF FORTUNE TO YOU!
GOOD FORTUNE...

Also.
CreditQueen,

You are doing "GREAT!"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

© 24hourcampfire