Home
Posted By: centershot Optics resolution chart? - 12/09/22
Which one, and where do you get one? Comparing quality optics is pretty difficult - using a resolution chart seems like a good way to compare apples to apples. Question is, what chart? Does it really matter? Just a 10ft chart that you see at the Walmart vision center good enough? Just put it out at 50 or 100 yards? Or is something like the USAF 1951 model worth getting. Question no. 2 is where do you get one? Amazon? Curious what others have used, if a chart is worth getting or just pick out a fence post or sage brush and try to get more detail while changing out optics?
1951 Air Force optical resolution chart Mil Std 150 A Print your own off the interweb
I went down this rabbithole, deeper than makes sense some years ago. For just sporting rifle scope evaluation, I think the 1951 USAF is as good as any. I did discover that you don't want to print it on anything more reflective than flat white recycled paper. Another thing I 'discovered'...the most repeatable results occurred when I placed the target at optimum parallax distance (?). When I evaluated 2 scopes that seemed of equal resolution, another thing I 'discovered', was that the front page of a newspaper with varying print sizes, placed at optimum parallax distance was a good tie breaker. There is a chart, made up of radial bars in the general shape of an Iron Cross, and it creates so much eyestrain that I would get a splitting headache in 3 minutes or less. I never had any real high end optics to test, but I was amazed to discover that old brand name and Jap optics of the 1970's were not all that bad, at least in the one category of clarity in good light.
Struggling to find a USAF Mil Std 150A with decent resolution to print off. Anyone have a source?
Posted By: drover Re: Optics resolution chart? - 12/09/22
Here you go -

http://www.6mmbr.citymaker.com/f/USAF1951.pdf

drover
Perfect. Thank you.
Posted By: Jason280 Re: Optics resolution chart? - 12/09/22
Tag
Posted By: Darryle Re: Optics resolution chart? - 12/12/22
Originally Posted by drover

Letter, legal or ledger size?

Worth the effort to laminate it? Do they even make a matte laminate to reduce glare?
Posted By: dukxdog Re: Optics resolution chart? - 12/26/22
tag
Never needed a chart to tell me my scope clarity sucks. Other's mileage may vary..
Posted By: drover Re: Optics resolution chart? - 12/26/22
Originally Posted by Darryle
Originally Posted by drover

Letter, legal or ledger size?

Worth the effort to laminate it? Do they even make a matte laminate to reduce glare?
sto

Any laminate would distort the image which would defeat the purpose of the optics chart

drover
Posted By: powdr Re: Optics resolution chart? - 12/28/22
tag
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Optics resolution chart? - 12/29/22
I have a laminated chart that I've not used. I'll print out another one and do a side by side comparison.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Optics resolution chart? - 12/29/22
Mine is laminated. It's mounted on the pump house 127 yards away. Works great.
Posted By: SDupontJr Re: Optics resolution chart? - 12/30/22
New to clarity chart. How is it read? Obviously numbers get smaller and smaller as they spiral toward center.
Posted By: Darryle Re: Optics resolution chart? - 12/31/22
Originally Posted by SDupontJr
New to clarity chart. How is it read? Obviously numbers get smaller and smaller as they spiral toward center.

Lines

[Linked Image from texashuntingforum.com]
© 24hourcampfire