Home
Not apples to apples, but have an interest in both. Hawke 20-60x68mm and the Ares 15-45x65mm.

• How's the Hawke compared to the Ares in terms of overall optical quality at similar magnification?
  • Do both appear sharp at their respective max magnification? Or what do you think the max usable power would be before sharpness drops off?
  • Note - not concerned with cost, weight, or size of the scopes.

Thanks,

Jason
How's the Hawke compared to the Ares in terms of overall optical quality at similar magnification? IMO, too similar to see a difference, however, the Hawke above 40x will be sharper than the Athlon from 40-45x

Do both appear sharp at their respective max magnification? No spotter will be 100% at it's max magnification. You start to get "softening at about 85% magnification.
I've got the Ares 15-45x and it's pretty dang good up to 35x. No experience with the Hawke.
Thanks Doug. Not many reviews on that Hawke so I appreciate the comparison to the Ares which is somewhat of a known product.

Does it take 1.25" astro eyepieces?
Originally Posted by screaminweasil
I've got the Ares 15-45x and it's pretty dang good up to 35x. No experience with the Hawke.

Good to know weasil, thanks for the information. That's what I suspected, but not unusual given the price point.

I had two old Nikon 60mm Fieldscopes and they were tack sharp at 60x but the eye relief and FOV were not user friendly.
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Thanks Doug. Not many reviews on that Hawke so I appreciate the comparison to the Ares which is somewhat of a known product.

Does it take 1.25" astro eyepieces?

Fixed built in eyepiece
Thanks Doug.

I'm considering the 68mm Hawke + SLIK 824 legs + 501 head combo.
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Thanks Doug.

I'm considering the 68mm Hawke + SLIK 824 legs + 501 head combo.

We are in today till about 4 if you'd like to call to discuss it
© 24hourcampfire