Home
I've never been a fan of Bushnell. However, I see people talking about their Elite series as if they are high end scopes. and they are available everywhere for cheap. Even in the classifieds here. So, here is my question for those with first hand knowledge. How high does the model have to be before it's a pretty good scope? 3200, 4200 or does it need to be a 6500? Or are they just not worth the money at all? Merry Christmas and thanks for any input!!!
Originally Posted by COLORADO_LUCKYDOG
I've never been a fan of Bushnell. However, I see people talking about their Elite series as if they are high end scopes. and they are available everywhere for cheap. Even in the classifieds here. So, here is my question for those with first hand knowledge. How high does the model have to be before it's a pretty good scope? 3200, 4200 or does it need to be a 6500? Or are they just not worth the money at all? Merry Christmas and thanks for any input!!!
Starts with Bausch and Lomb Elite 3000.

The 3200 Bushnell was the first to have the Rainguard I believe and it actually works.

No flies on em.
Posted By: ndh19 Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/24/22
I have a Elite 3200 2x7 on my muzzleloader and it has Rainguard. Good scope and yes the Rainguard does work.
Posted By: blairvt Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/24/22
I still have a Bausch and Lomb Elite 3000 on a 223 that I bought new. Never seen a need to replace it. A 3200 with firefly reticle has been on my Encore muzzleloader for 20 years I'd estimate. Killed several truckloads of deer and again, no need to replace.
Elite Tactical, or bust....
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/24/22
I think I have three or four Elite 6500’s. I’d say they’re a nice scope. I have them sitting on varmint rifles as set and forget scopes.

I bought most as new or barely used on eBay over the years. I think the most I paid was $550 for a ANIB.

🦫
Posted By: erich Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/24/22
Ive had a couple or three of the Elite 4200s over the years and while decent they've been bypassed by better, glass for less money in recent years. In fact I killed coyote earlier this month and pulled it for an Athlon 1 inch 2-12.
So 3200 and 4200 have the same internals I believe. It’s just that the 4200 is a pretty big step up in glass. Also the 4200 is a 4:1 zoom ratio except for the 3x9. The 3200 is a 3:1 zoom. It depends on the rifle. If it’s something I shoot more and use more I spend extra for the 4200

The 6500 I have one but I thought it tunneled more and wasn’t as easy to get behind. So the 4-16 4200 is staying. I like elites because they are reliable. I like the optical formula of eye box and eye relief. I like the power ring as well. In recent years they have gotten more expensive and harder to find.
I owned a few Bushnell Elite 3200/3500 3-9x40 scopes and they were hands down the best scopes I ever owned for the money....Good luck....Hb
I have a 4200 I bought LNIB on here for $245. It is a dang nice scope. I carried it as a spare on trips I made in my truck for yesrs. It finally found a home on my ML. Dang nice scope.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/25/22
My late brother bought a bunch of them, 3X9 and 5X15 3200's when they were being closed out, years ago. I ended up with 4 or 5 of them, and am still using them. I really like them, and find them to be about as good a glass as I need.
Posted By: Seuss Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/25/22
I have 3 Bausch and Lomb scopes and 2 4200’s, awesome glass all around, have ridden on various rifles and muzzleloaders, have always been up to the task, have harvested a pile of deer. My TC Omega as a 2.5-10x50 4200 on it, and one of my main center fire deer rifles has a B&L 4-16x50.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/25/22
FWIW, there was a line of scopes made for Browning that were essentially the same as the 3200 and 4200 scopes. I believe they were advertised as being between the 3200 and 4200 in glass quality. I have one, a 4X12, and while a good scope, it's not any better than the 3200's I have.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/25/22
I had one of the B&Ls, Elite 4000 1.5-6x42, on a Kimber Longmaster .308. Very nice outfit, sacrificed to fix a bum transmission in my Corolla. Liked that combo a lot, dammit.

That was about the time they dropped the B&L name on the scopes, probably due to early wokeness from the snooty old company that owns the B&L trademark.

Most 1 or 1.5 to 6 scopes now are of the LPVO form, with straight tubes, but the ones with larger objectives are pretty nice, bright at all magnifications. Not sure who makes one like that now, maybe Hawke.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/25/22
4200/4500 is alot of scope for the money. Hard to beat them at their price point. They handle heavy recoil very well and the glass is excellent. Have owned many over the years and have never had an issue. Also, rainguard coating is amazing in bad weather. Scope never fogs
Originally Posted by JamesJr
FWIW, there was a line of scopes made for Browning that were essentially the same as the 3200 and 4200 scopes. I believe they were advertised as being between the 3200 and 4200 in glass quality. I have one, a 4X12, and while a good scope, it's not any better than the 3200's I have.
I have one of those Browning scopes on my Browning BAR 270, seems to be decent glass.
Currently have a 4200 1.75-6 with the firefly reticle and a 3500 3-9x40. The 4200 is on my marlin 35 rem., great low light scope. Wish I could find another one for my 30-30 marlin .
Both the 3200 and 4200 scopes are great scopes for the money.
Just bought a 4500 2.5-10. Everything seems pretty nice so far, generous eye relief. Hopefully get to try in the low light this week.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/25/22
I had a couple 4200`s.They were great scopes for the money,but I did not like the eye relief.
I have nothing but elites.3200,4200,4500,elite,6500. I have more 4200 4x16x40’s than anything else. Maybe 6 of them. I have 2 6500 2.5x16x42 and a 4.5x30x50. I dont think i will ever replace them with new scopes. Never had any problems out of any of them. All of them were bought used.
Posted By: Starbuck Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/25/22
Owned a few through the years. Still have a couple. ER was sometimes a little shorter than I cared for, but overall they've been tough. Like the Japan Weavers to which they were very close, they were great scopes for the money.

As stated, the Raingaurd was not a gimmick. Was impressed the first time I saw it in action. The Firefly was a useful feature as well. Shine a light through it near dark and never worry about not being able to see the reticle. Had one on an Ml For a few years, and regret selling it.
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/25/22
I have a Bushnell 3200 SA Elite 3-10x 40mm on my PA10. It isn't made anymore unfortunately. Made in Japan, good glass for the price I got it for.
Posted By: rider Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/25/22
I have a 6500 4.5-30 x 50 on a kimber 84 in 204 Ruger. I have some issues on the upper range of magnification with color distortion. That can be accounted for by my astigmatism. Seems to hold zero well.
Rider
I gave up on them a few years ago. Great scopes, but I prefer something with a good useable reticle like the Burris ballistic plex. I really like the looks of the older elite 3200 and 4200 rifle scopes. My favorite one was always the Bausch and Lomb Elite 3200 2.5-10x40. When they went newer with the DOA 600 reticle, they made the scope look like a pig with lipstick. Those are the elite 3500 and 4500 series. Too much silver etching and bold ''B" on the side of it. Larger ocular and different ergo's make it look like schidt. The 90's Elites were much better.. but again do not offer a good useable reticle or turrets and the tracking was questionable... A lot of guys like them, which has it's benefits: I still buy used rifles with them on and sell the scopes for reasonable money.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/25/22
I’ve owned a few. I consider them very good at their price point.
I have a few, both B&L and the Elite series.

IIRC, they’re made by Light Optical Works (LOW) in Japan, a high end maker of some of the best scopes.

I think they’re a sleeper regarding value.

ER is OK, not the best but not a problem in most applications.

Mine are keepers.

DF
I am going to try out the 2-10x40 on a thumper I own. They are made in Korea per the latest.
Bushnell doesn’t make anything, they’re a repackaging house, importing and selling stuff from all over.

The Elite line reportedly is from Japan.

They sell stuff from China, Philippines, etc.

So, something for everyone, every budget.

DF
Posted By: CSBfan Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/25/22
I've had a few 10x40 tactical models that were very good.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I am going to try out the 2-10x40 on a thumper I own. They are made in Korea per the latest.

Let us know how it works for you. I haven't seen any reviews on the new S Korean made Elite scopes.
Posted By: Japlvr Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/25/22
I 'd like to buy a used 3-9x 40mm Elite 4200 if I could find one.
Originally Posted by Japlvr
I 'd like to buy a used 3-9x 40mm Elite 4200 if I could find one.
Reckon folks tend to hang onto those. Occasionally see one on the classifieds.

DF
Posted By: Seafire Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/26/22
I've had a lot of confidence on Bushnell scopes over the decades. They've held up and served me well....
Posted By: shootem Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/26/22
We have 4 Firefly 3200 2-7x32. 2 on 7mm-08, 1 on a 260 and 1 on a OptimaV2 muzzleloader. They stay set. Unlike most I really like the 3 step reticle. It’s very fast to pick up and the center wires are fine enough for me. Matter of fact it makes the glow factor redundant. I’ve never seen the need for the glow even past legal shooting time, and the glass gets no complaint for our usage.

Eye relief drops off quickly at the low setting. So much that 2X is never used. Just shy of 3X is the lowest setting used.
I’ve got a bunch of 3-9x40 Elite 4200 and they’ve been great. Eye relief is a little shorter than I’d like but I’ve had them on a 30-06 and 20 gauge slug gun with no issues.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/26/22
Originally Posted by shootem
We have 4 Firefly 3200 2-7x32. 2 on 7mm-08, 1 on a 260 and 1 on a OptimaV2 muzzleloader. They stay set. Unlike most I really like the 3 step reticle. It’s very fast to pick up and the center wires are fine enough for me. Matter of fact it makes the glow factor redundant. I’ve never seen the need for the glow even past legal shooting time, and the glass gets no complaint for our usage.

Eye relief drops off quickly at the low setting. So much that 2X is never used. Just shy of 3X is the lowest setting used.

I like the Firefly even without the illumination feature also. Great hunting reticle.
Posted By: Ghostman Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/26/22
I've owned a few in the past, mostly 4200's. Just ok nothing special IMO.
Posted By: basdjs Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/26/22
I’ve used 4200’s on just about all my rifles for years. 6-24x40’s on the long range ones and 4-16x40’s on just about all others. Excellent glass and very reliable. Eye relief could be better. Rainguard is a real plus. Wish they were still made.
Posted By: ScottyO Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/27/22
I have the B&L E 4200. 2-10x40 on a T-3. 30-06. Kinda wish I had a few more...ScottyO.
Posted By: shootem Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/27/22
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Originally Posted by shootem

I like the Firefly even without the illumination feature also. Great hunting reticle.

They find hair quickly. I was able to get on a buck that chased a doe past the ladder I was in at about 10 feet. I caught up to him at about 10 yards with the reticle very viewable.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/30/22
I have a couple of the older 3200’s and have been happy with them. I thought my 4-12 one had bit the dust, but it was the stock starting to rub the barrel after 18 years of being free floated, go figure. Anyways, I have a new 2.5-10 4500 Elite and the 1.5-4 4500 as well. I really like them, and they are clear scopes and I would recommend them for the price range.
Posted By: Jason280 Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/30/22
Ive had a couple or three of the Elite 4200s over the years and while decent they've been bypassed by better, glass for less money in recent years

I'm curious, which newer scopes do you consider to have better glass (and also be cheaper)?
Originally Posted by Jason280
Ive had a couple or three of the Elite 4200s over the years and while decent they've been bypassed by better, glass for less money in recent years

I'm curious, which newer scopes do you consider to have better glass (and also be cheaper)?
Yeah, id like to hear that answer to
Posted By: boatammo Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/30/22
Me also.
I've got a bunch of them and really enjoy them. I sold a couple of 4200 3x9s and sure wish I would have kept one.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/31/22
Originally Posted by boatammo
Me also.
I've got a bunch of them and really enjoy them. I sold a couple of 4200 3x9s and sure wish I would have kept one.

the Jap 4200's were a steal
I have 2 3200 2x7 Firefly one on a 760 06 , the other on a 7600 35 Whelen very reliable scopes hold zero and work well.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 12/31/22
Big fan of the 4200 series and own several. The 1.5-6x36 & the 2.5-10x40 are sleepers for hunting scopes.
Posted By: olblue Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 01/01/23
How's the customer service. I have 3200 that gave up recently. --- Mel
Posted By: BWilson Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 01/01/23
Originally Posted by UncleAlps

Let us know how it works for you. I haven't seen any reviews on the new S Korean made Elite scopes.

I bought one that was advertised as made in Korea, but it's marked China right on the scope!!!
Posted By: BWilson Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 01/01/23
Forgot to mention, I've got several Japan mfg Elites and they are great scopes for the money.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 01/01/23
Originally Posted by olblue

For me, excellent.
Originally Posted by BWilson

I bought one that was advertised as made in Korea, but it's marked China right on the scope!!!

Let me see if i understand this correctly.....You bought a new Elite 4500 4X and it has Made in China on the scope?....Love to see a pic of that.

confused
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 01/01/23
Originally Posted by Jason280

That answer doesnt exist
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 01/01/23
Originally Posted by Overkill45

Let me see if i understand this correctly.....You bought a new Elite 4500 4X and it has Made in China on the scope?....Love to see a pic of that.

confused
mines stamped japan

You might check out the ER before you put it on a thumper. It's not too generous.
Posted By: AML Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 01/01/23
I have a model 94 angle eject slated to get that scope this year.
Originally Posted by AML
I have a model 94 angle eject slated to get that scope this year.

A 3200 would be a good choice, IMO.
Originally Posted by gunchamp

confused
mines stamped japan
You have an Elite 4500 4X scope made in Japan?...because that is what i mentioned and to my knowledge, all of the 4500 4X line are made in Korea by Su Optics.
Originally Posted by luv2safari

You might check out the ER before you put it on a thumper. It's not too generous.

Eye relief on the Korean Elites is a claimed 4"+
https://www.bushnell.com/riflescope...40-riflescope-multi-x/BU-REL2104BS3.html
Originally Posted by gunchamp

confused
mines stamped japan
You have an Elite 4500 4X scope made in Japan?...because that is what i mentioned and to my knowledge, all of the 4500 4X line are made in Korea by Su Optics.
I think he has a 4500 japan made, not 4x
Still waiting to see pics of that Chinese made Elite 4500 4X. laugh
Posted By: Timbo Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 01/03/23
I’ve owned the various Elites from the B&L 3000 up through the 6500. I’ve been well pleased with them. The only negative I’ve found is that some models don’t have as much eye relief as comparable Leupolds. But that’s never been a concern for me unless it’s on a hard recoiling magnum.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 01/03/23
Chinese made….hmmm both of my new 4500’s both say Korea.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 01/03/23
My experience with their customer service is well over 18 years now. My 3200 came out of the box with issues. I had to send it back to Bushnell with a $10 check back in the day for return shipping. About three weeks later I got it back fixed. No issues since then.
Posted By: blairvt Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 01/03/23
I even got a nice rainsuit with a Elite that I still use.
Pass the good stuff and hold The Fluff,as you ladies flounder. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
Posted By: tmitch Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 01/03/23
Originally Posted by Hudge
My experience with their customer service is well over 18 years now. My 3200 came out of the box with issues. I had to send it back to Bushnell with a $10 check back in the day for return shipping. About three weeks later I got it back fixed. No issues since then.

Opposite of my experience with Bushnell CS. Have tried to use them 3 times (1 scope wouldn't focus out of the box, 1 scope with a frozen power ring and a pair of B&L binocs with broken eye cups), as recently as last month, and they fixed nothing but returned them in the same condition. But hey, they'll give you 25% off a new one. BFD
Posted By: boatammo Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 01/03/23
I just checked 4 4500 elites and they all say japan.
Originally Posted by boatammo
I just checked 4 4500 elites and they all say japan.

All the old ones were made at LOW. The 4500 4X are new and made in Korea. Still waiting on the goober to show me a 4500 4X made in China?......Kinda smells like the typical forum bullsh@t though at this point.
If you can find 3200/4200, these are the best all around hunting scopes IMO. Rain guard is awesome. Clarity and light transmission is excellent
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 01/25/23
Originally Posted by COLO_western
I've had a few 10x40 tactical models that were very good.
I have a 3200 fixed 10. It's a great scope.

kwg
Posted By: Seuss Re: Bushnell Elite Scopes???? - 01/27/23
Am looking to upgrade the optic on my son's TC Omega, my Omega has an Elite 4200 2.5-10x50, love it.
I can get a decent deal on an Elite 4500 2.5-10x40, any thoughts on that compared to the 4200? Good scope?
Thanks guys.
Originally Posted by Tommy_guns
If you can find 3200/4200, these are the best all around hunting scopes IMO. Rain guard is awesome. Clarity and light transmission is excellent

I'd have to strongly disagree. I am, however, very glad there are guys like you out there that love them. I find rifles I want to buy that have Elite 3200's on them or Leupold's. I buy the rifle and sell the scopes. The elite's don't do anything for me anymore. Even the now discontinued Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex is a better "hunting" rifle scope. One of the last rifles I bought with an elite 3200 on it:

Paid $550.00 for the rifle. Sold the scope a few days later for $230 and the silver rings for another $35.00. Into the rifle for about $285.00 now. I had to replace that crappy T3 stock with a newer T3x stock though, which cost me nothing. Much better package now:

That rifle holds it's own with the lowly Burris. If I were looking to replace a 3200 or even a 4200, I'd look at the FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex. The glass is similar and the reticle bests anything the 3200 has, and yes I've had most of the elite series with different reticles.
If the old elites had 4" of eye relief they would have been much more useful. The new 4500 elites from S Korea does have more eye relief and may be a good scope. Still waiting to hear a detailed evaluation.
© 24hourcampfire