Home
Looking along the lines of 1.5-5, 1.75-6 x 20mm to 40mm. I’d like to keep the price under $500 - I’m only shooting a .308 Win 60-80yd max - won’t be dialing - don’t need anything much fancier. Bonus points for illumination. Not interested in Chinese manufacturers.

I’ve been looking at Athlon & Sightron but am open to other suggestions - I’ve been a longtime Leupold user but want to branch out into other top brands but just don’t have the knowledge base to make a good decision.

Love to keep my business with Doug if possible.

Thanks!
If it’s going to be in the brush I’d want a heavier reticle so it’s easier to see in lowlight because it stays darker longer in the morning and gets darker earlier in the evening and would want at least a 32 mm objective. Not sure what scope to recommend but isn’t Athlon a Chinese manufactured scope?
I agree with the heavy reticle - not sure about the entire Athlon line - I hope it’s not - they have some interesting configurations
I would go with one of these.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/tags/...013a-7d2d-00163ecd2826?variation=3250934
Ed that looks pretty good! I’ve never looked thru a Sightron - what would you compare it to?
I know you mentioned lower power but I think the Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 is a good scope for wooded areas. It's light at 13 ounces and has illumination. You can always set it at 3X if you want a bigger FOV. Worked great for me in Africa in thornbrush.
I have one of these on an AR.It is super fast to pick up the reticle on moving animals.
https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...0135-0fee-00163ecd2826?variation=1693577
Trijicon is a great choice. I replaced a Leupold with a Trijicon credo 1-6X24. Good glass, good illumination, quality built scope. I'm very happy with it. Its a lot of scope for the money.
Not a lot out there. Looked at several and decided on the Sightron 1.75X5X32. Put it on a new Henry 45-70 Big Boy, so far so good. Would have rather had a 4a reticle but didn't find any. I have had Sightron's before and still have two. Good scopes. Needed some type of scope as we have a point restriction where I hunt, the old eyes aren't what they used to be. Better in low light than the smaller 24mm tubes.
I've had a Leupold 1-4x20 on my main woods rifle for years and have been quite content and successful with it. Not many scopes left for us woods hunters these days. Don't want no bullshyt tactical scope with some busy ass range compensating reticle on my woods rifles. Everybody thinks they're a spec ops sniper these days. Fuggin idiots.
I have a number of Leupold 1-4s in it's many designations and they work in the woods. I'm really liking the Freedom 1.5-4 with the PigPlex reticle, very fast target acquisition. I have them all on coyote calling rifles and they are the "Cats Azz” for fast action close in and will get me to 300 yards if needed.

I have one of the Sightrons S1G2s on a little 20 Practical coyote rifle and it is pretty nice, not enough time behind it to give a full review.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Everybody thinks they're a spec ops sniper these days. Fuggin idiots.

Truer words have never been spoken.
I know your style of hunting mimics mine, and I keep going back to a 1.5-5 Leupold. It’s really hard to improve on. Field of view at 1.5x is around 77 feet at 100 yards if memory serves. Eyebox is very good, target acquisition is very fast. One that really interests me is the Trijicon 1-4x24 Accuview with the post/triangle on top reticle. I think I would prefer a German #4 with an illuminated dot, but that’s not offered on that scope. And users of the post/triangle report it is very fast once you become accustomed to it. I think it may be worth a try on my 7600 carbine.
I've had a Leupold 1-4x20 on my main woods rifle for years and have been quite content and successful with it. Not many scopes left for us woods hunters these days. Don't want no bullshyt tactical scope with some busy ass range compensating reticle on my woods rifles. Everybody thinks they're a spec ops sniper these days. Fuggin idiots.

100%

I’ve got a 1-4x Leupold as well and like you say it’s been a good scope.
I have a Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32 that physically looks identical to the Sightron. Perhaps the glass is different between the two.
I just found a good used Vortex Razor 1.5-8x32 that I like a great deal. No longer made but they come up in the used market once in a while.
If you can find one, I would choose a good 3X scope. Wide enough for close and easily good to 150 yards, also KISS.
Leupold 2.5-8.
Yes i know it’s more than you want. You’ll appreciate the 8 power at the range and the 2.5 is still pretty wide.
Hate there is little selection in hunting low powered scopes. Unless you go AR style LPVO
My favorite for those needs is the Lupey 1.5-5 with the heavy duplex. I only have one with the heavy duplex and it has moved around on rifles a lot. Heck this one even tracks kinda consistent.
Another vote for Trijicon. I bought an AccuPoint with German #4 with the green dot after reading a thread here. Asked a few questions and it has delivered. Tracks perfectly, excellent glass and I put mine on a Featherweight in 308. i can shoot well past legal limits here and the green dot is amazing, both in low light and moving game.
Burris 1-6 x 24 30 tube illumination under $500.00 hands down best scope for the money i have 4 of these scopes they are very tuff scope. good luck ,Pete53
Excellent suggestions fellas!
Originally Posted by pete53
Burris 1-6 x 24 30 tube illumination under $500.00 hands down best scope for the money i have 4 of these scopes they are very tuff scope. good luck ,Pete53

Where is that scope made Pete?
If weight is of concern, a Razor LH HD 1.5-8 would work nicely if you can find one. There's no illumination but the reticle is good.

Almost all scopes in that power range are geared towards tactical rather than hunting.
I’ve had an eye open for the Razor you mention but seldom do they pop up for sale.

Fully understand the tac focus - that makes things a bit more difficult. Some of those features are unnecessary & others are cumbersome if we’re just shooting deer in the woods.
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Looking along the lines of 1.5-5, 1.75-6 x 20mm to 40mm. I’d like to keep the price under $500 - I’m only shooting a .308 Win 60-80yd max - won’t be dialing- don’t need anything much fancier. Bonus points for illumination. Not interested in Chinese manufacturers. Thanks!

Leupold FX II 4X33
The Trijicon Accupoint costs a bit more than you want to spend but if you buy one I don’t think you’ll regret it. I made a thread recently on my 1-4 with a view of their German #4 reticle.
Bushnell 3200 2-7x32 with Firefly reticle - the reticle is the best brush reticle to my mind. Bushnell Rainguard on the lenses, solid internals. Perfect. Discontinued, of course. But can be found in the used market.

By suggestion. Had one, loved it, got swindled out of it...
I have several 1-4x20 vx3s on lever action woods rifles for a decade. Very satisfied with those. The last woods rifle I bought is a bolt. Used it for the last two years. It has a VX3i 2.5-8x36. I actual like the 2.5-8 better. If
I was starting from scratch I would probably go with 2-5-8 instead of the 1-4 s. That 2.5-8x36 is a heck of a versatile scope. And on your 308 would work in about any situation you find yourself in over the years.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

not sure ? but the scope has life time warranty
I like the Leupold FXII 2.5 ultralight. My average deer shot is 100yds or less.
Trijicon makes a 1-4 Ascent that’s not illuminated and sells for under $500 on Amazon. SWFA 1-4s are on sale now as well.

I started going a bit out of my comfort zone on price a couple of years ago, and picked up some Trijicon Accupoints and Credo HXs. The pain is long gone, but the nice scopes are still here.

FWIW, the Amazon Store Card lets you spread the payments interest free over 6 or 12 months, if that would be helpful
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Battery Type-
CR2032
CA Prop 65
Condition
New

Country Of Origin-
Philippines

Length-
10.3"
Optics Elevation Adjustment
80 MOA
Optics Exit Pupil
1.5-5.2mm
Optics Eye Relief
3.3-4"
Optics Field of View @100yds
106-18.5 ft
Optics Finish
Matte
Optics Focal Plane
SFP
Optics Illuminated Reticle
Yes
Optics Length
10.3"
Optics Objective
Optics Power Magnification
1-6x
Optics Power Source
Battery
Optics Reticle
Ballistic AR
Optics Tube Diameter
30mm
Optics Windage Adjustment
80 MOA
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Trijicon makes a 1-4 Ascent that’s not illuminated and sells for under $500 on Amazon.
And the fuggin thing weighs a pound vs 9 oz. for my 1-4 Leupold. No thanks. Adding an extra half pound to the top of my woods rifle ain't on my list of things to do.
https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/rt-6-riflescopes-series/rt-6-riflescope-1-6x24mm
I had the vortex razor lh in 1.5-8x32. I recently sold it because I didn't like the reticle for hunting in low light. Like mentioned in a previous post, I like a heavier reticle for low light thick woods hunting. I have a sightron SII 1.5-6x42, SIII 1.5-6x50, and a minox 1.5-8x32 with the circleplex reticle. I love the reticle on the minox.

I know you said you wanted to try something different than a leupold but the VX3 HD 1.5-4x20 is right in your price range and will be better in low light than the sightron and the leupold freedom. If you are not in a big hurry, you could watch the classifieds as well as ebay to see if a good used scope shows up. You maybe able to pick up a used zeiss diavari or even a kahles helia close to your price range.
Can’t thank you gents enough! Looks like I’ve got some soul searching to do.
SKANE thanks for the info , Pete53
I have used quality shotgun scopes. They have a heavy Plex, lots of eye relief, and hold up well.
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
....1.5-5, 1.75-6
....x 20mm to 40mm
price under $500
60-80yd max - won’t be dialing
Bonus points for illumination.
Not interested in Chinese manufacturers.
Love to keep my business with Doug if possible.

On all of these except for buying from Doug and illumination, the Tract Toric 2-10 with Tplex is worth considering.
If 100 yards and in is your typical shooting distance there is no need for a variable or illuminated. Fast sighting and pulling the trigger is all you’d be interested in. A fixed 2.5x20mm is all you’ll ever need. In fact the 2.5x20mm scope or a fixed 4x32mm will take you out to 200-250 yards easy with great light gathering capability with an 8 exit pupil. On a 308 WCF a fixed 4x easily allows clear 300 yard shots as well as 75 yard shots if you want more versatility in case you encounter a shot at greater distance.
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
I have several 1-4x20 vx3s on lever action woods rifles for a decade. Very satisfied with those. The last woods rifle I bought is a bolt. Used it for the last two years. It has a VX3i 2.5-8x36. I actual like the 2.5-8 better. If
I was starting from scratch I would probably go with 2-5-8 instead of the 1-4 s. That 2.5-8x36 is a heck of a versatile scope. And on your 308 would work in about any situation you find yourself in over the years.

I've got Leupold 2.5-8x36s on 2 of my M7s (.260Rem and 350RM) set up for woods hunting. I don't find the 2.5X much of a hindrance up close and the 8X does come in handy for the "thread the needle type shots".
I like a fixed 4x. I used a 1-4x and kept it on 4x. The few variables I have are set at 4x when hunting. YMMV
I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 1.5 - 4.5 X 32 variable with the firefly reticle that I really like for my tree stand hunting in the woods of PA. I don't much use the firefly feature, forgetting about it when I'm trying to get quite in my stand.

It has a heavy plex reticle that is just perfect for woods hunting, and the 4.5 power comes in handy with PA's antler restrictions that require 3 or more on one side. I used to rely on fixed 2.5 power scopes before antler restrictions went into affect probably 20 years ago. But at 2.5X, it's sometimes hard to see that 3rd tine!

I have that Bushnell on a Win. Model 70 featherweight in 358 win. It is the perfect PA woods gun for both Whitetail Deer & Black Bear. Unfortunately, Bushnell discontinued it and now they just have heavier larger scopes in the Elite 4500 series. Optic companies drive me crazy changing models and offerings every freaking year. And many of them seem to have abandoned the compact lightweight scopes. Everything is just getting bigger, bulkier and heavier frown
Originally Posted by petemacmahon
I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 1.5 - 4.5 X 32 variable with the firefly reticle that I really like for my tree stand hunting in the woods of PA. I don't much use the firefly feature, forgetting about it when I'm trying to get quite in my stand.

It has a heavy plex reticle that is just perfect for woods hunting, and the 4.5 power comes in handy with PA's antler restrictions that require 3 or more on one side. I used to rely on fixed 2.5 power scopes before antler restrictions went into affect probably 20 years ago. But at 2.5X, it's sometimes hard to see that 3rd tine!

I have that Bushnell on a Win. Model 70 featherweight in 358 win. It is the perfect PA woods gun for both Whitetail Deer & Black Bear. Unfortunately, Bushnell discontinued it and now they just have heavier larger scopes in the Elite 4500 series. Optic companies drive me crazy changing models and offerings every freaking year. And many of them seem to have abandoned the compact lightweight scopes. Everything is just getting bigger, bulkier and heavier frown

There is a bushnell elite 4200 1.5-6x36 on ebay right now
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134411495947?hash=item1f4b8caa0b:g:JGcAAOSwp3Jjwa2P
Originally Posted by petemacmahon

I have the 3x-9x version of this scope on my RAR 308 and it has been great. The big to medium to fine (don't know how else to describe it) plex reticule is very easy to pick up in the thick, brushy swamps and at 3x I have had no problem getting on a deer even at very close range. As a bonus, the rifle, scope and rings, all in added up to $500.
Anything'll work if your idea of woods hunting is sitting a stand in the woods. When you're in death creep mode in cover so thick you can smell that buck before you can see him that 1x setting is nice to have. I used Weaver K- 2.5's on my still hunting/tracking rifles for years and there were times like those described above when I wished I could turn it down. Conversely there were times in open hardwoods where I wished for a bit more magnification. The 1-4x Leupold covers it perfectly.
I’ve always been a Leupold, Swarovski, Zeiss guy and all work, so no brand recommendations from me. I would advise the OP not to go too high on the magnification because of his 60-80 yard most typical shooting distance. Much as I like more X’s at the range, I’m tempted to use more than I need out in the woods. I run a 1.5-6x42 on my main woods rifle and that is ideal. The buck that comes to mind when I had a 3-9x42 dialed up to 9x was one of those oh s hit moments when he started to run and I shot a tree.
man .. good thread.. It's hard to find anything above 32mm obj. in low power

Buddy had an old swift 4x40mm on a savage lever he liked. Looks like it's still avail in some flavor.
Swift 4x40mm - 12.6 oz <$125

The Leu 2.5-8x36 has the CDS ZL knobs on it. I have the older model.
My woods and swamp rifles all wear heavy duplex 3x10x50 High Quality scopes. Dialed down to 2X you can see lots more area than with a small scope. Plus they work very well for extreme early and late shooting. Our hours are 1 hr before sunrise to 1 hr after sunset. The smaller diameter low $$ scopes won't let you stay as long in the woods.
Anything'll work if your idea of woods hunting is sitting a stand in the woods. When you're in death creep mode in cover so thick you can smell that buck before you can see him that 1x setting is nice to have. I used Weaver K- 2.5's on my still hunting/tracking rifles for years and there were times like those described above when I wished I could turn it down. Conversely there were times in open hardwoods where I wished for a bit more magnification. The 1-4x Leupold covers it perfectly.

I’m a tracker as well - hunt a saddle before snow shows up. You’re right - out of a stand it’s not too important but once the snow falls the game changes
My two primary centerfire tracking rifles have a Leupold 1-4x20 and a Redfield 2-7x33. My most used muzzleloader has a Sightron 1.5-6x42. When I was old enough to start on my own in the 1980s, there was a lot more woods than there are now. Today, in my very humble opinion, you are just as likely to track a deer into a cut and have a shot at longer than 100 yards. I personally have never felt handicapped with any of those scopes.

My sons, who kill far more big deer than I do, have a Leupold Freedom 1.5-4x20 with a pig plex reticle on one rifle and a Leupold VX-II 2-7x33 on another. My youngest killed his biggest deer last year with a 3.5-10. Sometimes it is the indian rather than the arrow.
I have 3.5x 10 Leupolds on my piney woods rifles, Savage 99’s. A few spots are on right of ways. Stand down about 20 yards from pigs.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by hanco
I have 3.5x 10 Leupolds on my piney woods rifles, Savage 99’s. A few spots are on right of ways. Stand down about 20 yards from pigs.

You need any help killing those pigs? Looks like fun!

100%
I hunt the woods a lot where shots longer than 75yds are rare and it gets dark mighty early. It is hard to beat a Leupold 2-7x32 w/heavy duplex. When set at 2X you can find a moving deer at close range and shoot with both eyes open. At 7X you can pick your holes in the thick brush when it would be hard to do with a fixed low power. You give up a little in the weight and compactness with the 2-7x32, but it seems to be the best compromise to me.
Originally Posted by Remington280
Originally Posted by hanco

You need any help killing those pigs? Looks like fun!

I think that was the most fun day I’ve ever had. The pigs kept coming back to corn I had scattered down right of way. I shot all 12 rounds, should have had more.
Following the eBay link above, I spotted this one. Don't know anything about it but it sounds like what you're after.

Bushnell Forge 1-8x30 Riflescope Illuminated German No 4 Reticle RF1830BS9

$399.99

Introducing to the U.S. market is the 1-8x30mm Forge riflescope with illuminated German No. 4 reticle and ED Prime glass. This low-power variable optic (LPVO) is built on a massive and tough 34mm main tube. We then opened it up on the objective end to give it a massive class-leading 30mm objective lens for great light gathering and a giant eyebox. Next, we gave it an etched-glass German No. 4 reticle to make acquisition fast, and we stepped it up to an illuminated center dot so you can have pinpoint accuracy in the lowest light. The illumination knob has convenient off settings in between the power levels so you can roll onto your favorite setting fast. We wanted you to be able to zoom through the power range quickly and accurately, so we gave it our large Throw Lever. To increase ruggedness in the field or to handle the abuse of competition, we capped the turrets so you won�t lose your zero when it matters most. The ED Prime glass on this is brilliant, bright, and simply unmatched in this segment at this price point. The value of this optic simply can�t be beat at this price point. Note: This optic was built for the European market, but we are now bringing it to you here in the States. As a result, the turrets are in CM.

Product Details
Features
GERMAN #4 ILLUMINATED ULTRA SFP RETICLE This scope combines an illuminated dot with the highly visible German #4 reticle that makes targeting lighting fast and accurate no matter the light conditions.
UNPARALLELED CLARITY & RESOLUTION This FORGE riflescope delivers the best resolution and contrast possible through the use of low dispersion glass and Fully Multi-Coated lenses.
HIGHEST LIGHT TRANSMISSION Delivers 94% light transmission thanks to Ultra Wide Band Coatings which enable bright and true color in every lighting condition
EXO BARRIER TECHNOLOGY Bushnell's EXCLUSIVE EXO Barrier technology is featured on this scope to repel water and dust, so you will never miss what your glassing.
ED PRIME GLASS Bushnell's highest quality glass delivers amazing color, resolution and contrast, even in low-light conditions.
Capped turrets
Condition New
Brand Bushnell
MPN RF1830BS9
UPC 029757005137
Warranty Bushnell Ironclad Lifetime warranty
Get the world Outdoors by making a positive difference in people’s lives through: innovative products, offered at affordable prices, with operational excellence.
That’s a pretty sweet scope!

I’ve got a Hawke & Sightron coming to look at but still not sure if I’ll keep them until I see them.
For years, I still-hunted blacktails on a brushy little island in the Pacific where my average shot was about 30 yards. I took them with revolvers and lever guns but I settled on a seven-pound bolt action 308 with a 22" barrel and a Leupold 4x in the lowest mounts I could find. I had to pass on a few shots over the years, but never because of my optic. The 2.5x Leupold is also nice, but I needed to use that rifle in other places and 2.5x struck me as an unwise handicap for a cartridge with that much reach.

I also found that four other things matter when you need to get hits at top speed.

Stock: Most aftermarket sporter stocks are designed for shooting from prone or from the bench. I like a bit more drop at the heel than you see in them. I have a couple of M-700s in this Bell & Carlson stock (http://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1055) and they're not as fast as one with a little more drop. The sadly defunct Pacific Research/Borden Rimrock stock was perfect for the geometry of my body, neck, and head, but they're impossible to find. Remington Sportsman 78 stocks have almost identical geometry, as do 90s vintage ADL and BDL stocks, especially the first-generation Tupperware ones.

Length of pull: 13.5" is standard on most factory rifles. Cutting that to 13" really speeds things up for me. If you hunt in a heavy coat, then you might want to go even shorter.

Low mounts: I want the front edge of the objective bell to clear the barrel by about the thickness of a playing card. I used Weaver low rings on my island rifle, but this is a rabbit hole of its own.

Eye relief: This is critical for getting hits at top speed. The best eye relief for fast offhand work isn't the same as the best one for slow, deliberate shots from the bench. Take some time to get it right.

Leupold quit making a 4x, so I went to a Swarovski 3-9x36, mostly because I can mount it low. It's three ounces heavier than a 4x Leupold, but I can live with that. Nightforce makes a fixed 4.5x for competition shooters, but so far they've ignored my requests to build it with an illuminated Forceplex reticle. Maybe someday...

Okie John
looks interesting. Bushnell Forge 1-8x30 Riflescope Illuminated German No 4 Reticle RF1830BS9

Should be 30mm tube.
26 oz is a bit heavy
11" long - have fun with the rings.bases (eye relief )
probably need a weav/picky rail
Originally Posted by okie john
.... Nightforce makes a fixed 4.5x for competition shooters, but so far they've ignored my requests to build it with an illuminated Forceplex reticle. Maybe someday...

Okie John

I've considered that scope several times. Each time the reticle turned me away from it. With a Forceplex reticle I'd grab one.
© 24hourcampfire