Home
What if you had two or more rifles in the same model
<br>and length of action. Each rifle was equiped with Leupold QD mounts and your budget only allowed you
<br>ONE scope. This particular scope budget is $500.00 to
<br>$600.00. Depending upon Mama's ok. Know what I mean?
<br>
<br>One of your rifles is a 25 to 28 caliber and a flat shooter
<br>capable of a 300 yard zero. With this rifle you hunt
<br>goats, mountain and plains. Deer at 500 yards sometimes show themselves at dusk and you know they are BIG! You have only this one chance of getting one.
<br>
<br>Your 2nd rifle is 30 to 38 caliber. This rifle is the hammer
<br>of Thor. This one just hammers Mr. Big into submission!!!
<br>This rifle is best used with a 150 to 200 yard zero. The game seen with this show themselves very early in the
<br>A.M. Then suddenly disappear like a ghost in the thick
<br>forest. You go after them and then maybe see them
<br>from 20 to 60 yards. Your rifle has to come up quick for
<br>an almost snap shot at a fleeing hindquarters.
<br>Sometimes you see this game across a clear cut, say 2 to 3 hundred yards.
<br>
<br>Your given QD Rings and told to pick out ONE scope to
<br>fit the needs of both rifles, what or which ONE do you
<br>pick?
<br>
<br>
Either a Leupold 2.5 x 8 or a Bausch & Lomb (now Bushnell) Elite 4200 2.5x10. Matte black with flip up scope covers.
Leupold Vari X III in 3.5x10x40.
<br>
<br>Blaine
Logic recommends the 2.5-8 Leupold.
<br>
<br>But I can't really find fault with the 6X42 Leupolds that are on about six of my rifles. From 257 Robts to 338 UltraMag the 6x42 just works. And for 600 bucks I can probably pick up two used ones.
<br>
<br>Joe.
SU35
<br>
<br>Get cheaper rifles and TWO scopes so you don't have to sight in again each time you switch your single scope from rifle to rifle.
<br>
<br>Miki
And make them fixed 6x and 2.5x
I'll second AFPs vote for a Vari-X III 3.5-10x40. To me its the perfect scope.
From reading your post, it sounds like that you have a fair number of long range shots, and some low light conditions. So, with nothing against the Leo's that have been mentioned....... I'd go out on a limb and say take a look at the 5.5-16.5x Nikon Monarch. I took one of these up to Northern Quebec on a caribou hunt last year...... and yes a few hunters and the guide were chuckling at me when I showed up with it..... but when it was all over everyone I hunted with had used it at least once for one reason or another, and liked it a lot. And it did a fine job for me too.
<br>
<br>Great low light scope, very clear images, tracks and holds zero well also. Good luck on what ever you choose. WD
Leupold 2.5x8 would be my pick.
I got a flyer the other day(can't remember from who) that had Leupold 6x42 scopes on sale for $286.00 each. I would beg and plead with mama and order two of those puppies and still stay under $600.00 That's my 02.......
Ditto on the 2.5x8 Leupold
Quite likely I'd recommend the Leupold 2.5-8 also -- I do have one of those and it is outstanding.
<br>
<br>But if this were my actual situation I wouldn't want to do all the re-zeroing it would entail. I would probably drop back a level and get either the Leupold fixed 6x42 or the VX-II 3-9x for the long range rig, the Leupold fixed 4x33 or VX-II 2-7x for the hammer. I have the 4x on my .338 and the old model Vari-X II on a .30-06 and both seem well-suited for their purpose.
<br>
<br>John
I agree, the Leupold 2.5-8 would be my choice if I could have only one.
Leupie 6x42mm with mil-dot reticle.
<br>
<br>Next question?....................(grin)
Hmmmm....6x42 mil-dot
<br>
<br>And may I ask why a mil-dot? ..........(grin)
<br>
<br>better than a 2-8 Lupe?
I'd be the last to cuss the excellent 2.5-8x. It is a very robust scope that offers much latitude and is a proven quantity. Plus it is little and light. It is a very Good 'Un.
<br>
<br>But for me,I'd opt the 6x42. I just like it better and "like" is hard to quantify. So I can't say it is "better",other than that would by my personal preference.
<br>
<br>The mil reticle offers many avenues,without adding weight. Hard not to like a concept like that. My preference is to confirm distance via laser,but I can HAPPILY dope both windage and elevation with the mil reticle,though I'm even more fond of turrets. It is fast and foolproof,especially in a scope that is of fixed subtention. I find it very easy to "connect the dots",when playing the mil-game.
<br>
<br>You gotta make YOU happy,but I'm sweet on that 6x42.................
I would get the Leupold M3 3.5-10 Long Range Target with illuminated retical and bullet drop cams.
Where would you order this scope for 500-600 bucks?
SWFA has them on sale for $700.
<br>
<br>http://www.samplelist.com/
SU35: Consider the Grand Slam in whatever power you choose. The finger adjustabe knobs and the excellent tracking would make it very easy switching from one rifle to another. You could figure out how much adjustment it took from one rifle to the other and the scope would go back to the same place. I like mine very much.
<br>
<br>Good luck with whatever you choose!
<br>Marty
It won't meet your $600 limit but you did mention something about low light. If your considering a low light scope "I" would stay away from a Leupold - but, thats "me".
<br>
<br>Swarovski 2.5 to 10 X 42 would be difficult to beat if only allowed "one" scope.
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]
Don, That comes close to hitting the nail on the head.
<br>How about an AV version out of the cheap section of
<br>swfa.
SU,
<br>
<br>I have no hands on experience with Swarovski's AV series, only their PH series. Sorry, I can't help you [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Don [Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Leupie 6x42mm with mil-dot reticle.
<br>
<br>Next question?....................(grin)
Another big stick Leupold lover.See the trend..
18 years ago ...
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
18 years ago ...

<br>/thread
Originally Posted by 45/70 marlin
Leupold 2.5x8 would be my pick.

+1
2.5-10 BDC. Set and forget
NF 4-16x42 atacr
Edit- whoops, missed budget.
Just get two SWFA 6x with good rings.
Or a 6x and 1-4 if illum is needed.

Edit again - WTF is going on bumping a decades old thread?
People used to think asbestos was a good idea . . .
Time is a hell of a tutor . . .
A 2.5-8 x 36 Leupold still works for me.

I have 2.5-8 Leupolds on my most used rifles. A .308 Ruger GSR, .30-06 Montana, .30-06 m-70 SS FW, .338 Win Mag SS M70 Classic and a .375 H&H Talkeetna.

My .223 does hhave a 3-9x40 Leupold on it as does my heaviest barreled AR.
My MeoPro 3.5-10x44.

SWFA 3-9x42
Holy old threads!

SWFA guts in a Leupold 6x42 body.
Re: the mil-dot mention above- IIRC, they are etched reticles.............
Trijicon TR24 for me. It's not optimal for shots beyond 400 yards, but is lightning-fast up close and works very well in low light.
Leupold FX II 6x36 for the 284 and a Leupold FX II 4x33 on the "hammer".
That is the exact set up I run I have the 6x on a lightweight 30/06 and the 4x on a #1 in9.3x62.
I'd choose the Zeiss Divari in the classifieds, but then again, I'm the seller!
Coobie Do, keeps resurrecting's these necro-posts in an on-going battle of half wits with the Alaskan Dwarf Honey Badger.

If we just ignore it maybe they'll just go away.....far away......
I would watch the classifieds here!
Some good deals can be had .
I also like the Leupold 2.5-8x. Works well for me.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by Shadow
Coobie Do, keeps resurrecting's these necro-
in an on-going battle of half wits with the Alaskan Dwarf Honey Badger.

If we just ignore it maybe they'll just go away.....far away......
Yep sure did to prove a point.Had my belly full of his two face bullchit.Love my new Leupold. grin Nothing to see here move on.
Why not.

SWFA SS 3-9x, or even better the LRHS 3-12x for $600 grin
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Why not.

SWFA SS 3-9x, or even better the LRHS 3-12x for $600 grin

These (and LRTS 2-12) are my favorite at this time and are 100% reliable in all facets.

For those who admonish others who bring Lazarus threads back to life, just look how relevant this still is based on current replies alone. I love it.
Ok.

Nightforce C454.
Ok.

Nightforce C454.

Four $600 bucks or less? Let us know where you're getting 'em, I'd like to buy 8, maybe 10. smile
I'd like a good "dialer". I don't own one. I own a decent one. But I doubt I'll ever want to spend the dollars on a scope that is a good dialer, with excellent glass, that still weighs a lb or so. I'll stick with my crappy Leupolds and Nikons.
Originally Posted by skeen
Ok.

Nightforce C454.

Four $600 bucks or less? Let us know where you're getting 'em, I'd like to buy 8, maybe 10. smile

If we’re headed back to 2002, anything is possible.
laugh
Originally Posted by skeen
Ok.

Nightforce C454.

If we’re headed back to 2002, anything is possible.
laugh

Hahah, good point. smile
I don't see an advantage of a 2.5x8 over a less expensive 3x9, personally.

My favorite scopes are fixed power, but I have a few 3x9 Leupolds. 3x9x50 Leupold would be pretty good.

BUT, I would buy two scopes.
If it were a short action, it would be a Leupold 2.5-8X B&C. If it were a long action, it would be a Leupold 3.5-10X B&C.

Tom
$600 in 2002 is roughly $872 in 2020, btw.
© 24hourcampfire