Home
Posted By: dave7mm New from S&B - 03/12/23
https://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/products/hunting/3-18x42.html

Can't believe they ham strung that thing with a SFP reticle.

dave
Posted By: RHutch Re: New from S&B - 03/12/23
And priced the model with all the cool features at $4k?
Hard pass
Posted By: dave7mm Re: New from S&B - 03/12/23
Originally Posted by RHutch
And priced the model with all the cool features at $4k?
Hard pass
https://www.eurooptic.com/Schmidt-B...SV-II-LT-ASV-II-B-LT-Riflescope-158.aspx
I agree
dave
Posted By: SDHNTR Re: New from S&B - 03/12/23
Such a bummer.
Posted By: Bill_Davis Re: New from S&B - 03/12/23
I for one am glad to see this version. Not all of us can use 1FFP because of eye problems and surgeries. A second focal plane scope works much better for me and i am sure others. I am NOT glad to see that price tag....
Bill
Posted By: 300MAG Re: New from S&B - 03/12/23
Priced itself outta the market before it hit the market!!
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: New from S&B - 03/12/23
Originally Posted by dave7mm

dave
Why? You’re not raining down tons of shots from a box magazine off a fake barricade. It’s a hunting scope hopefully it’s ONE shot. Hunting spot and stalk and being mobile means you should be leaving the scope on its lowest power seating. So you can make a quick shot on an animal you may have spooked. You want to see the reticle easily. Also this scope has a duplex reticle. Being ffp would serve no purpose.

It’s a cool scope. But 4 grand?! U mm no!
Originally Posted by 300MAG
Priced itself outta the market before it hit the market!!
I agree.
Dave
I walked away from SFP scopes for hunting .when I walked away from Leupolds Flippy erectors 30 years ago.
I wouldn't own a SFF reticle on a deer rifle.
I have no use for them .
Different strokes for different folks.

dave
Originally Posted by Bill_Davis
I for one am glad to see this version. Not all of us can use 1FFP because of eye problems and surgeries. A second focal plane scope works much better for me and i am sure others. I am NOT glad to see that price tag....
Bill
I understand this viewpoint. There’s certainly still a place for SFP. I could work with it. What’s not workable tho, is that price tag and reticle. Where’s the wind holds?
Just turn the reticle on. Imo, lit reticles largely opened FFP scopes up to hunting service.
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

dave
Why? You’re not raining down tons of shots from a box magazine off a fake barricade. It’s a hunting scope hopefully it’s ONE shot. Hunting spot and stalk and being mobile means you should be leaving the scope on its lowest power seating. So you can make a quick shot on an animal you may have spooked. You want to see the reticle easily. Also this scope has a duplex reticle. Being ffp would serve no purpose.

It’s a cool scope. But 4 grand?! U mm no!

Just turn the reticle on. Imo, lit reticles largely opened FFP scopes up to hunting service.
Posted By: Wp75169 Re: New from S&B - 03/12/23
Originally Posted by SDHNTR

Yes
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: New from S&B - 03/12/23
And the search for the perfect hunting scope continues .......
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: New from S&B - 03/12/23
What happens when the scope was left on and the battery is dead? And you forgot to bring a battery? Those fancy subtensions that match at all powers aren’t useable at the lowest setting anyways because the reticle is too fine at that power and you don’t need them for holdover because if you did need that you would dial up the scope.

It’s not a PRS match. It’s ONE shot
Posted By: Spartacus Re: New from S&B - 03/12/23
They should feel very proud of themselves they've come up with a polished turd.
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
And the search for the perfect hunting scope continues .......
Yes sir.
I still like the 1.5-6x42 Zenith Flash Dot for a all arounder.
dave
Posted By: WAM Re: New from S&B - 03/12/23
Goofy design with turret so close to the objective bell. Limits mounting and feng shui.
Posted By: Ndbowhunter Re: New from S&B - 03/12/23
What happens when the scope was left on and the battery is dead? And you forgot to bring a battery? Those fancy subtensions that match at all powers aren’t useable at the lowest setting anyways because the reticle is too fine at that power and you don’t need them for holdover because if you did need that you would dial up the scope.

that's weird, my swfa 3-9 and lrhs don't have a lit reticle and they are better then the standard leupold wife duplex at 3x.

then again par for the course. regurgitating rubbish.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: New from S&B - 03/13/23
Originally Posted by WAM
Goofy design with turret so close to the objective bell. Limits mounting and feng shui.
Just like a Nightforce NX8.

dave
Posted By: JGRaider Re: New from S&B - 03/13/23
Never seen a S&B that could kill a big game animal any better than a LRHS, VX6, or lately even an Arken.
Posted By: SDHNTR Re: New from S&B - 03/13/23

Most scopes shut off automatically.
Most likely not.
Never had a LRHS.
Or a Arken.
Did pick up a Athlon.
Seems to work fine.
Couldn't speak to what alphabet soup loopie does these days.
My 30-30 has open sights .
Works good.

dave
Hunting Schmidt's have a spare battery in the cap.

dave
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: New from S&B - 03/13/23
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter

that's weird, my swfa 3-9 and lrhs don't have a lit reticle and they are better then the standard leupold wife duplex at 3x.

then again par for the course. regurgitating rubbish.
I have owned that scope and to say the reticle is just as visable on 3x as a duplex. Heck even according to you better according to you is a perfect example of internet bullchit. It’s a great scope but it ain’t not duplex
Posted By: Starbuck Re: New from S&B - 03/13/23
Was disappointed that there's not an FFP option available for the new S&B offering. There's a lot to like in that scope. A bit spendy, but I'm sure it's impressive by a lot of measures.

The THLR reticle or something like it would be a good fit in that scope.
Posted By: Starbuck Re: New from S&B - 03/13/23

How is shot volume germane to reticle choice?
Originally Posted by Starbuck
I would have settled for the illuminated P3 mil.
For a company noted for FFP reticles you kinda have to wonder why?
dave
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: New from S&B - 03/13/23
dave

Yeah....I just don't understand the why behind it.

The illuminated P3 (or same reticle with only an inner dot illuminated rather than the cross) would have been really good.
Posted By: LJB Re: New from S&B - 03/13/23
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
dave

Yeah....I just don't understand the why behind it.

The illuminated P3 (or same reticle with only an inner dot illuminated rather than the cross) would have been really good.
Agree 100%. I keep hoping for an alpha level Bushy LRHS, but it just isn't happening.
© 24hourcampfire