Home
I have several pairs of scope rings that didn't work for me or I have switched scopes and can't use them anymore. They are pretty much just sitting in baggies in a box taking up space.

What do you guys do with them?

Is there a "market" for them? I don't often see them for sale that aren't the expensive pic rail compatible ones.

Do you just throw them away or keep them in case you find another scope that you want to use on future rifles?
I have a box full of "used" older rings.
Whenever I switch scopes or acquire a new to
me rifle I am thankful I have a box full!
Got a bunch just sitting in the safe or in ziplocks labeled just waiting on the next ride.
Ones I think will get used go in one place or occasionally get sold. Ones that didn’t pan out go in my Box-o-Crap for my unfortunate descendants to deal with.
They go into a plastic box that is a spare parts bin.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Ones I think will get used go in one place or occasionally get sold. Ones that didn’t pan out go in my Box-o-Crap for my unfortunate descendants to deal with.

Are they worth it to try and sell?

What does a used $50 set of rings sell for? I would think that by the time you factored in shipping costs it wouldn't be worth fooling with.

Now, I could see it being worth it to sell $100+ high end rings but maybe there is more of a market for them than I thought.
They sit in a box that I pretend doesn't exist, just like all the pistol holsters I bought, tried, and didn't like.

Most of the time what you'd get for selling them isn't worth the hassle, unless they're very specific rings or not made any more.
Decent rings like Leupold, Talley and such there's always a market for. Or save them for the next setup.
Been wondering the same thing. With few exceptions, they depreciate about like a Chrysler 300.
I store the better quality rings in Flambeau Zerust utility boxes.

I give the no-name or lower grade rings and scopes to a kid in VT who sells them for pocket money.

I have too much stuff, much of which will need to go before I move to my retirement home.
I don't have a large collection of them, but enough that I keep them organized in a plastic organizer box for future use on guns I don't own yet... It always surprises me how often I just happen to have the right rings in my supply for a new rifle, but I still find myself buying rings occasionally for rifles I buy- mostly rimfires
I had a large box of rings and misc parts that I sold here on the Campfire, they were valuable but not to me. They went to a good home to someone who could make use of all the rings, Win recoil pads, bottom metal, etc...
Originally Posted by CrowHunterTN

What does a used $50 set of rings sell for? I would think that by the time you factored in shipping costs it wouldn't be worth fooling with.

Now, I could see it being worth it to sell $100+ high end rings but maybe there is more of a market for them than I thought.

Depends on what they are. Sometimes I sell them just to de-clutter or if I’m selling other stuff I might post some little bit of junk at the same time. Anything I get is more than what they bring sitting here. Sometimes I see a post about someone looking for a specific set, or facing a dilemma of sorts. Don’t mind helping out a bit in those cases. I don’t put much effort into it otherwise. I’m retired and don’t want another job😱

Yes, you can sell them. I sold off a bunch of rings and bases last year. Mainly one piece redfield and Leupold bases and standard rings that have came on used rifles I’ve purchased. They didn’t cost me a dime, so anything I get is better than them just sitting there and there are still guys out there that use them. An example: rings and base sells for $40- $10 shipping. That’s $30 in your pocket. Sell 10 sets and it’s worth it. Another example: you buy the wrong height rings. Sell them for almost what you paid for them. Someone said they depreciate like a Chrysler 300. That guy is full of schidt and hasn’t sold stuff like this before. Keep all your original packaging and if you decide to pull them off a rifle, put them back in the packaging. It’s the guys that just throw them in a baggie that don’t get a return on their purchase. Be smart about things and it won’t bite you in the azz.
I either put them back in the package they came in or in a small ziplock bags with a label on what they are. The last 15 years I started keeping the packaging they came in and putting a label on what rifle they was going on. Before that I was throwing away the packaging. I keep them in an plastic ammo box. I dont sell them but I have given a few to my buds that needed them.
Like others, I bag them up and write on the bag with a sharpie. Have a couple plastic drawer units full of misc. parts and rings/bases. Has come in handy quite often.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Yes, you can sell them. I sold off a bunch of rings and bases last year. Mainly one piece redfield and Leupold bases and standard rings that have came on used rifles I’ve purchased. They didn’t cost me a dime, so anything I get is better than them just sitting there and there are still guys out there that use them. An example: rings and base sells for $40- $10 shipping. That’s $30 in your pocket. Sell 10 sets and it’s worth it. Another example: you buy the wrong height rings. Sell them for almost what you paid for them. Someone said they depreciate like a Chrysler 300. That guy is full of schidt and hasn’t sold stuff like this before. Keep all your original packaging and if you decide to pull them off a rifle, put them back in the packaging. It’s the guys that just throw them in a baggie that don’t get a return on their purchase. Be smart about things and it won’t bite you in the azz.

Unfortunately the extras I have are all DNZ Game Reaper 2s and they come in that annoying plastic hard shell stuff that you destroy trying to get the rings out. So all I have is sandwich baggies. smile

You are right. $30 is $30. smile
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Unfortunately the extras I have are all DNZ Game Reaper 2s and they come in that annoying plastic hard shell stuff that you destroy trying to get the rings out. So all I have is sandwich baggies. smile

You are right. $30 is $30. smile

Lucky for you, there are a lot of guys that love the DNZ game reapers. I'm sure if you posted a wts, they would go quick. Even here. If in good condition, I'd expect them to hold about 75% of their value, even if you don't have the original packaging. I think I'm a lot like Sheister here and hang on to some rings that I think I'll eventually use, or maybe some of my buddies may use. I even buy rings and bases in anticipation for new/used rifles that I know I'll eventually have.

If you don't think you'll ever use those rings and bases again, list them here. I'm sure they will find a good home.
Hook rings together and bases in a zip lock bag, labeled with the action they fit.
CrowHunter: I also put them in a baggie and mark the height/brand and then put them in a drawer. Been doing this for 50 years!
On occasion I sell a pair or two at gunshows but like to keep them on hand for spares/uses.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I'd post them in the Classifieds.
I hang on to them mostly so I can give a new shooter who has purchased their first rifle an "assist". No skin off me. If I bought them, that money was absorbed long ago and often they are take-offs from used gun purchases. Its a small way to help out new shooters/hunters.
For Sale,from Safe Queen. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

You ladies couldn't knock the "new",off a used pair of boots. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............
I store stuff in those Plano semi clear tackle box insert deals.
Have 3 sets of gloss 1 inch Burris Signature Zee
1 set of 1 inch Burris Signature Standard mediums gloss
Set of 1 inch Burris matte alum 22 rings
And a 1 inch BKL cantilever for 11mm

Oh and a set of Burris reg medium Zee 1inch matte

Aint got a use for any of em now. Proly have to sell as a lot or just keep

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
I've a "few". Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
I'm not a collector.
Have gotten rid of a bunch of stuff.
Just have a few things here and there, that I still need to get gone.
I'm a Shooter and not all wares are equal...nor close. Hint................
I take used rings and put different color electrical tape around them. Then I use them for props on the ‘Fire.
Burris rings are good enough for me.
Have Signatures on most rigs, if a Medium or High required.
Do have a couple rifles wearing regular Zee rings in low.

The BKL mount was when I had a Burris 3-12X AO on an Anschutz Exemplar .22lr. Worked fine.

Have EGW Keystones on a .22 rifle w pic rail, they seem decent.
Cheap Leupold rifleman for a Contender rimfire bbl w 4X EER (heavy enough as is LOL)
Zee's are absolutely fhuqking Dog Schit. Hint.

BKL is semi-Dog Schit. Hint.

Burris Scopes are Dog Schit. Hint.

Annie fhuqked up,by not going 54 on their Pistoles. Hint.

Reupold is Dog Schit. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Hint.

Originally Posted by Big Stick
Zee's are absolutely fhuqking Dog Schit. Hint.

BKL is semi-Dog Schit. Hint.

Burris Scopes are Dog Schit. Hint.

Annie fhuqked up,by not going 54 on their Pistoles. Hint.

Reupold is Dog Schit. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Hint.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Is there an easy way to tell on scope rings from used rifles what brand of scope rings they are ? I can spot the cheap rings. I'm thinking no but never hurts to ask
© 24hourcampfire