Home
Posted By: mpwolf scopes for long receivers - 08/26/23
I have a buddy looking to scope a Husqvarna 9.3x62. The ring spacing is such that lots scopes don’t fit well, and the bolt handle makes clearing the ocular eye piece a challenge, so smaller is better in that dimension. This is obviously not a long range project, so lots of magnification isn’t a concern. I’m leaning toward something in the 1-6x range, but would love to hear your suggestions
The old Weaver K4's and K6's are long with small eyepiece diameter. The Weaver V classics had small ocular bells. Some of the newer 2-7 leupolds and redfields have a small eyepiece but are shorter tube length.
Posted By: GF1 Re: scopes for long receivers - 08/26/23
You might look for one of the long discontinued Lyman All American Perma Center 4x scopes. They have a bit smaller ocular diameter and a relatively long tube. Also, one of the older Leupold M8 4x28 “long tube” scopes might also fill the bill. The Leupold has slightly longer eye relief, but the Lyman always seemed OK to me also.
Posted By: mpwolf Re: scopes for long receivers - 08/26/23
I seem to remember Leupold had a longer tube 1.75-6, or maybe 1.5-5?
Posted By: RHClark Re: scopes for long receivers - 08/26/23
Something with a straight tube possibly.
Posted By: DaveinWV Re: scopes for long receivers - 08/26/23
Leupold M8 4x28mm.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: scopes for long receivers - 08/26/23
Leupold M8 fixed 6-36 have a lot of tube length and smaller diameters on the eye and objective lense. I hunted one hard on a 300 win mag. In and out of scabbards, trucks, 4wheelers. Always worked.
Posted By: SDHNTR Re: scopes for long receivers - 08/26/23
Talley extended bases with screw lock detachables, or Leupold extended bases and DD rings will go a long way.
Posted By: GrimJim Re: scopes for long receivers - 08/26/23
Just a thought. I put an Aimpoint micro on the front of the action of a couple of my rifle. It works fine and shot smaller groups at 100 yards than a scoped rifle that I was also sighting in. If you are hunting larger animals at shorter ranges, it might work for you.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: scopes for long receivers - 08/26/23
Originally Posted by mpwolf
I seem to remember Leupold had a longer tube 1.75-6, or maybe 1.5-5?

The original 1.75-6X had a very short tube. Later the created the "E" model, which I guess means "extended tube", but it was still almost exactly, if not exactly, the same size as their 2.5-8X had always been. It wasn't a "long" scope, just longer than it had been. The 1.5-5X and 1-4X with straight tubes might be good choices as the straight 1" objective allows for good flexibility in mounting positions.
Posted By: EdM Re: scopes for long receivers - 08/27/23
The older Zeiss 1.5-4.5 scopes were loooong.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Seaman Re: scopes for long receivers - 08/27/23
I would consider using a picatiny rail and the corresponding rings.
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Leupold M8 fixed 6-36 have a lot of tube length and smaller diameters on the eye and objective lense. I hunted one hard on a 300 win mag. In and out of scabbards, trucks, 4wheelers. Always worked.

I have done the same and found the same. Great scope.
Posted By: richj Re: scopes for long receivers - 08/27/23
Bushnell EER 3-9 (extended eye releaf) has a long tube , not sure they are still avail.

have one on a 7x57 Yugo 24/47. I can measure it if you like
Originally Posted by EdM
The older Zeiss 1.5-4.5 scopes were loooong.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That looks like schidt . Sorry
Posted By: richj Re: scopes for long receivers - 08/27/23
I guess you'd call it a Truck Gun. Bushnell EER . The scope clears the rear sight.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
The obvious choice is a Unertl, still a few around
Bushnell Elite 3200/4200 series are longer, have fairly unobtrusive power rings & eye-pieces w/decent eye-relief, and considered good values for the quality of glass and reliability you get - my personal ownership esxperiece is (5) 3200s in 3-9 & 5-15 and (3) 4200s in 3-9 & 4-16. Although I don't do much turret turning, I never had an issue with any of them.
Leupod M8s, the 4x28 (not the 4x32) and straight 3x20 may work. We used to call the 4x28, the 4X long tube. IIRC

4x28
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I have a couple rifles with integral bases and fairly long actions that rule out many scopes and leave many others imperfectly positioned. Leupold 6x42 barely fits... Still seeking.
Posted By: Futura Re: scopes for long receivers - 08/29/23
I have one of those long 4x Leupolds if your friend wants a fixed scope
© 24hourcampfire