Home
I do understand that this is subjective to a point. I am a deer hunter....I hunt ranges from 100-600 yrds......I am not interested in adjustable turrets and windages and all that.

In order of importance to me:

-Low light gatherings at dawn and dusk
-50or more MM
-Normal up/down....rt/left adjustments

In arsenal now are Ziess Conquest MC / Older Swaro HD / Cabeles (Meopta)Instinct...in the past had a Meopta Meostar that was good.

What else would you consider elite low light scopes for hunting.
I have S&B polar and Zeiss HT. Both are excellent. High end Leupolds are good too, but not as bright as these.
Researching S& B Klassiks
Originally Posted by Jwterry3
I do understand that this is subjective to a point. I am a deer hunter....I hunt ranges from 100-600 yrds......I am not interested in adjustable turrets and windages and all that.

In order of importance to me:

-Low light gatherings at dawn and dusk
-50or more MM
-Normal up/down....rt/left adjustments

In arsenal now are Ziess Conquest MC / Older Swaro HD / Cabeles (Meopta)Instinct...in the past had a Meopta Meostar that was good.

What else would you consider elite low light scopes for hunting.

I have that same Cabelas Meopta. It'll get me past legal shooting time on an overcast evening under the canopy of trees. Don't know how it will work at longer ranges in similar conditions.

Well that's comforting.

LOL
I hunt ranges from 100-600 yrds......I am not interested in adjustable turrets and windages and all that.

How are you able to do that effectively and make ethical shots on game at that distance? BDC type reticle? Kentucky windage? Spray and pray?
Originally Posted by FOsteology
I hunt ranges from 100-600 yrds......I am not interested in adjustable turrets and windages and all that.

How are you able to do that effectively and make ethical shots on game at that distance? BDC type reticle? Kentucky windage? Spray and pray?

Pard, 2 inches high @ 100yds I’m good to about 625.
Originally Posted by 79S

One of these days I might break down and get a 6.5 Creedmoor. I hear they're flat shooting sob's.
Zeiss , S&B, kahles, Swarovski ,same as always

What is your holdover at 600 yards?
You had a meostar.......and it was good....

Where did it go....and why?
That Meostar is definitely a good one. However if you are shooting low light you are not shooting 600 yards.

GreggH
Originally Posted by deflave

Well that's comforting.

LOL

Lol. I couldn’t get past that either.
Originally Posted by 79S

Tongue-in-Cheek? grin
Originally Posted by 308ld
Originally Posted by 79S

Tongue-in-Cheek? grin
Or foot in mouth.
I want to know WTH he’s shooting….or drinking.
Schmidt & bender klassic, it's a 1st focal plane scope
Illuminating reticle with reference points.

But I don’t use the big 50 mm stuff .
You don't NEED a 50mm objective. A 20mm objective set on 4X, a 40mm objective on 8X, and a 50mm objective on 10X let in EXACTLY the same amount of light. And just about all the light a human eye can use. If you go above those magnifications/objective sizes, then you start to handicap yourself. A 40mm scope set on 9X will let in more light than a 50mm scope set on 12X.

A better-quality scope will appear somewhat brighter in low light assuming equal size objectives. I'd rather have a quality scope with a 40mm objective than a budget scope with a 50mm objective. IMO a 50mm scope has more negatives than positives.
They may have the same exit pupil, but I don't believe that's all there is to it.
Leupold 6x42 should work fine. Long range will be dependent on your rifle and skills, but if you can't see it with that Leupold because it's dark then it's past legal hunting hours for deer.

I don't own any gamer guns, and I don't hunt any Ag fields or power cuts, so past 350 yds just isn't going to be needed with my deer rifles. In my situation, I have no use or need for spinning the dials in the field. OTOH, 250 yards and back into the woodline with 5 - 10 minutes of legal light is a very common shot, and I find the Leupold 6x42 plenty bright.
I have a 8x56 S&B Klassik for hog hunting at night and could not be happier or have a need for any other scope. It is perfect for this task. It is a bit brighter than my S&B Klassik variables.
I was on a fixed X buying kick for few years, Leupold 6x42, S&B 6x42 and Swarovski 8x56, all good scopes and all at new homes now.
© 24hourcampfire