Home
Posted By: BooseB Z3 vs VX5HD for 35 Whelen - 11/19/23
They are both 2-10x42 (1in vs 30mm tubes). I am wanting to put it on a 35 Whelen, no intention of dialing. What would you guys go with?
Either would be good. I think the swaro will have the edge on glass and weight. Btw the z3 is a 3-10
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Z3 vs VX5HD for 35 Whelen - 11/19/23
Both made in USA!
If those are the only 2 choices, the Leupold.
You can get a NF SHV 3-10x for less $$ and arguably, a better scope, Japan made though if that’s an issue.
Posted By: SDHNTR Re: Z3 vs VX5HD for 35 Whelen - 11/19/23
My .358 killed a Swaro Z3 in short order. It now wears a Nightforce SHV 3-10 with no problems. My buds .35 Whelan killed a Leupold 1”, don’t recall which model. It now wears a Meopta Artemis and no problems.
Posted By: SDHNTR Re: Z3 vs VX5HD for 35 Whelen - 11/19/23
Originally Posted by jackmountain
If those are the only 2 choices, the Leupold.
You can get a NF SHV 3-10z for less $$ and arguably, a better scope
A WAY better scope. No comparison, unless all you care about is pretty glass.
Posted By: Starbuck Re: Z3 vs VX5HD for 35 Whelen - 11/19/23
I'll pile on with SD. The NF 3-10 are the best SFP duplex scopes I've ran. I run one on one of my 35 Whelens. That same gun killed a 2.5-8 Leupold. To be fair the Leupold did hold up on that rig for a long time with a lot of shooting and a lot of field carry. Was never codled.

Also lost a Swaro on a 338 WM.
Sitting in my stand with mine all afternoon.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
My .35 Whelen Ackley wears a 1.5-5x leupold 30mm illuminated kraut #4. It was on a .376 steyr before. Hasn’t died yet as of this buck yesterday.
Is the VX5 available with anything other than the Wide Duplex? That was the only option I saw when I handled one years ago, and it wasn't a workable option for me.

FC
I think I’d go Trijicon accupoint if needing 1” or the SHV mentioned if 30 mm.

If you are limited to those two choices; I’d pick the vx-5 for ease of warranty.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
My .35 Whelen Ackley wears a 1.5-5x leupold 30mm illuminated kraut #4. It was on a .376 steyr before. Hasn’t died yet as of this huck yesterday.

Huck of a buck there!

Nice. 👍
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Z3 vs VX5HD for 35 Whelen - 11/20/23
My 35 Whelen killed a Redfield LPWidefield 2 x7 first shot at a deer broke the horizontal wire. And a VariX111 2.5 x 8 twice. 2nd time less than 2 boxes after going back to Leupold for repair. I wouldn't do Leupold. The only one I own that hasn't failed yet has less than 2 boxes of 30-06 through it.
Posted By: Full3r Re: Z3 vs VX5HD for 35 Whelen - 11/20/23
I have an older Burris on my Whelen. 1.5-6 with light pundit. Very similar to the fourx model they were selling last year. Just over 180rd of heavy 225gr loads and never missed a lick. I’ve found more and more less is more on the scopes.
Posted By: nuguy Re: Z3 vs VX5HD for 35 Whelen - 11/20/23
The LEUPOLD VX-5HD has a very wide plex but I’m pretty sure the VX-6HD has a slightly heavier and not so wide plex. I believe it’s the same as the one that came in the original VX-6. Why they made them different I have no clue.
Posted By: prose Re: Z3 vs VX5HD for 35 Whelen - 11/20/23
Tract has a 2-10 that has really good glass. Been thinking about getting one of them. #4 german or a BDC
I’ve owned a couple Z3s. One has been rocking on a 300wby for many years while other is getting ready to go back for repairs a second time. It can’t take 30-06 recoil…. I’m not a fan of modern Leupolds….but wouldn’t hesitate to put a vari-X-III on a Whelen. FWIW, my Whelen has a Zeiss DL 2x8 that has been perfect so far. I’ve become a real fan of Tract binos and scopes. To date, they’ve held up perfectly on multiple rifles.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Z3 vs VX5HD for 35 Whelen - 11/20/23
Maven RS2 2-10.
Posted By: WAM Re: Z3 vs VX5HD for 35 Whelen - 11/20/23
A Swarovski Z3 can’t stand up to .30-06 recoil? Whodathunkit? I’m hoping mine doesn’t go off the rails.

I’ve had had the following scopes on a M700 .35 Whelen: 2-7x Redfield Widefield, 3-9x VX-II, 3-9x Sightron, currently a 1.5-6x Burris FourX 30mm tube Illuminated dot and only the Leupold had to go back for repair. The power ring would stick and not move.

I have a .300 Weatherby that has wrecked a Leupold; repaired and sent down the road.
Posted By: WAM Re: Z3 vs VX5HD for 35 Whelen - 11/20/23
Originally Posted by elkaddict
I’ve owned a couple Z3s. One has been rocking on a 300wby for many years while other is getting ready to go back for repairs a second time. It can’t take 30-06 recoil…. I’m not a fan of modern Leupolds….but wouldn’t hesitate to put a vari-X-III on a Whelen. FWIW, my Whelen has a Zeiss DL 2x8 that has been perfect so far. I’ve become a real fan of Tract binos and scopes. To date, they’ve held up perfectly on multiple rifles.
Question?
Wonder why the Z3 holds up on the Roy and craps out on a .30-06? Is the ‘06 a lightweight rifle?

Just curious…
Posted By: nuguy Re: Z3 vs VX5HD for 35 Whelen - 11/20/23
I’ve read somewhere that Swarovski recommends not using Z3 on magnum calibers and even states it in the instruction booklet they come with. I guess it’s because they don’t use the coil springs that their Z5 and Z6 etc… use. Not sure if it’s true.
Originally Posted by WAM
Question?
Wonder why the Z3 holds up on the Roy and craps out on a .30-06? Is the ‘06 a lightweight rifle?

Just curious…

It was on a Tikka so not particularly light…..
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Z3 vs VX5HD for 35 Whelen - 11/20/23
I have two of the 2-10x42 5HDs and really like the scope!
Posted By: Starbuck Re: Z3 vs VX5HD for 35 Whelen - 11/20/23
I found 2 Z3 to be pretty tender. It was explained to me that thier erector system was only designed to be adjusted so far, and that anything beyond a certain level of adjustment rendered them more prone to loosing zero.

On the bright side, their "glass" was impressive, and I could clearly see that the holes on my target were scattered all over instead of appearing in tight little clusters as I had been expecting. With lesser scopes, I might have had to look through a spotting scope to see that!
Originally Posted by WAM
Question?

Just curious…

It was on a Tikka so not particularly light…..

T3x 30-06 with a 4-12x50 Z3 no issues whatsoever with it. RIfle is 6.1 lbs bare.
Originally Posted by nuguy
I’ve read somewhere that Swarovski recommends not using Z3 on magnum calibers and even states it in the instruction boklet othey come with. I guess it’s because they don’t use the coil springs that their Z5 and Z6 etc… use. Not sure if it’s true.

That is not stated anywhere in their instruction manuals and I had a talk with a customer rep at Swaro a while ago and asked him the same question.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Z3 vs VX5HD for 35 Whelen - 11/20/23
Originally Posted by BooseB
They are both 2-10x42 (1in vs 30mm tubes). I am wanting to put it on a 35 Whelen, no intention of dialing. What would you guys go with?

Z3 glass is great. Scope isnt built to handle heavy recoil per Swaro. Ive called and asked them this very question and that was their response. Now Ive ran some Z3s on lightweight kickers and have not had one go tits up to this day. I have switched over to Z5s for the extra strength, once again, per Swaros recommendation. Leupold would be a great choice as well. Honestly, either scope is way more than whats needed to kill game
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I have two of the 2-10x42 5HDs and really like the scope!

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

Lots of good scopes these days and the 2-10 VX5HD is one of the best in that range.

Made in USA is kewl.
Originally Posted by gunchamp

Z3 glass is great. Scope isnt built to handle heavy recoil per Swaro. Ive called and asked them this very question and that was their response. Now Ive ran some Z3s on lightweight kickers and have not had one go tits up to this day. I have switched over to Z5s for the extra strength, once again, per Swaros recommendation. Leupold would be a great choice as well. Honestly, either scope is way more than whats needed to kill game

Yet this information isn't in their owner manuals, why is that?
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Z3 vs VX5HD for 35 Whelen - 11/21/23
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I would guess they arent trying to announce it to the world that they dont recommend their Z3 line on heavy recoiling guns, but they will dish out that info on the phone. Like I said, Ive ran them on some hard kickers and have not had a failure yet, but did switch to Z5s
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I would guess they arent trying to announce it to the world that they dont recommend their Z3 line on heavy recoiling guns, but they will dish out that info on the phone. Like I said, Ive ran them on some hard kickers and have not had a failure yet, but did switch to Z5s

Yet they told you that it was not recommended and of course no one visits online forums and posts their experiences.
© 24hourcampfire