Home
Many nice innovations have been made to rifle scopes.
Quality glass, easy to use turrets, long range scopes with lots of tracking adjustments, reticles galore for different uses, etc.
Most of us deer hunters I bet are 50-300 yard max shooters. In Northern Alberta, when it is -10 or colder with a wind blowing, 300 yards over the hood of a truck or using a rock for support, sitting or laying in the snow, is one hell of a long field shot.
Guys like us need a scope build like a tank, rifles falling over, bumps getting in and out of trucks, rifles being knocked around when a truck hits a rough spot etc.
We do not need long range adjustments, side focus, complicated reticle etc. The 1 inch tube works for us, a steel one for strength or thick aluminum. We want decent glass, for 300 yards we don’t need special HD. A magnification range of 2x7 or 3x9 was always more than enough. We would also need a strong reliable adjustment system that does not get out of whack after a few bumps.
One that reliably holds its zero and if I click 4 up during sighting in, it will go up 4 units. We want low capped vertical and horizontal adjustments.
Besides all this a reasonable price like $500-700
I can not afford Nightforce prices.
What is this long range obsession? From attending many shooting ranges in Alberta, most deer hunters have trouble consistently hitting a 6 inch target at 300 yards. Buying bigger and more expensive scopes on your economy deer rifles does not bring in more deer meat imho. Am I wrong here? Too much old school? Please correct me if wrong.
People like to shoot outside of deer season too. Those that do - spend more money than those that don't. Manufacturers tend to cater to those that spend money.

Sitting around hitting paper plates at "deer hunting ranges" isn't all that fun past the first couple of shots. Go long, make it interesting. Shoot a hell of a lot more than the average guy on his 10th year with the same box of shells he bought at the gas station.

What you're asking for - can it exist? You want 1in tube but big scope reliability. You gain reliability through beef. As Boris the Blade said "Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable". Until the long range gang demanded it - you likely aren't getting that adjustment reliability either and not in a 1in scope. They're paying for the R&D that will eventually make it to the meat hunter only crowd. Maybe.
I’d look at a used NF SHV 3-10 or a new/used Trijicon Accupoint 3-9. Pretty solid in $500-$750 range.
Long range shooting is fun and practicing at longer ranges makes a 2-300 yard shot on game that much easier. With that being said, sounds like you’re describing the Trijicon Accupoint.
Agree with the posters above.

Another option that falls within this set of criteria would be the Tract Toric.
Shrike4: I agree with you 100% on the actual need in optics. The posters who claim to be killing deer at those outlandish distances represent a tiny, tiny percent of deer hunters. They don't believe the old school optics can get it done. I seriously doubt you need to spend even $500. to get what you need. Often times old school, although not necessarily pretty, can be better than, or as good as the newest, greatest. Case in point is the old Weaver mounts: ugly but super tough and reliable even on heavy caliber rifles. My suggestion is that you're asking the wrong crowd: go to someone with tons of real world experience. One guy I'm thinking of is Phil Shoemaker, the Alaskan brown bear guide. Almost 40 years of seeing what works and doesn't in harsh conditions in optics. He posts on Accurate Reloading a lot (goes by 458win) and sometimes on campfire. I still use an 80s vintage Leupold 2-7x that continues to get it done: did a month ago again on whitetail. I can hear the laughter now on this old scope, but it continues to do the job on another old-school rifle: a .270 win. no less. Good luck.
Tract and Meopta both make a 2-10x power. That’s the best you’re gonna do buying brand new.
Your description is that of the SWFA 3X9 Mill Quad.
Super easy to use and the reticle is uncluttered and yet very useful...
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Teal
People like to shoot outside of deer season too. Those that do - spend more money than those that don't. Manufacturers tend to cater to those that spend money.

Sitting around hitting paper plates at "deer hunting ranges" isn't all that fun past the first couple of shots. Go long, make it interesting. Shoot a hell of a lot more than the average guy on his 10th year with the same box of shells he bought at the gas station.

What you're asking for - can it exist? You want 1in tube but big scope reliability. You gain reliability through beef. As Boris the Blade said "Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable". Until the long range gang demanded it - you likely aren't getting that adjustment reliability either and not in a 1in scope. They're paying for the R&D that will eventually make it to the meat hunter only crowd. Maybe.

I hope the OP will forgive me as I'm not contributing to the subject of his post. Gotta congratulate Teal on quoting a memorable character in a most enjoyable movie, Borris the Blade! If we could just find a scope as tough as that guy.....
Until I saw your requirement for accurate adjustments, a several decades old Leupold vari-X-III (or II) would have been my recommendation. Can’t say that about the new Leupolds…. It’s too early to judge long term reliability, but my last 3 scope purchases have been Tract Torics (I do prefer the 3x15 flavor). They have been great so far, and can be had on sale in the $600-700 range.
What do I know about diamonds?
I'd think a SWFA 6x42 SS would be ideal.
Boris the Bullet Dodger would approve.

"Heavy is good. Heavy is ... reliability."
The SWFA 6X42 SS fits most of that criteria save for low capped adjustments and 1" tube, as they have been absolutely bombproof for me but the glass isn't up to par.
Twice now I could clearly see critters in my 15x56 Meoptas within 50 yards at last light, but I absolutely could NOT see them through my 6X42 SS....frustrating is an adequate adjective.
Maybe the HD versions are better? I don't think they make a 6X HD though. Only the 10X and variables, and those are pushing up against the OP's price ceiling..
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Another great option, if you can find one.
I would go with the older Leupold Vari X III 4.5 x 14 X 50. Built like a tank and rock solid. It is what the Leupold name was made on. They can be had for about $450.00 and you are set. Or you can spend a little more and find a Leupold LPS 3.5 X 14 X 50 with great glass and built like a tank. They can be bought for about $550.00 or so. The LPS scopes were built when Leupold was trying to take over the European market. They put the best of everything in them. The glass was made by Leica and diamond coated. Good luck with your quest.
Originally Posted by Brad
I'd think a SWFA 6x42 SS would be ideal.
That, too.
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona

“Protection? Protection from who? Zee Germans?”

Fantastic movie.
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona

“Protection? Protection from who? Zee Germans?”

Fantastic movie.

Great movie. Tony had all the best lines. “Why do they call him the bullet dodger? Because he dodges bullets Avi.”
Originally Posted by sidewinder72
I would go with the older Leupold Vari X III 4.5 x 14 X 50. Built like a tank and rock solid. It is what the Leupold name was made on. They can be had for about $450.00 and you are set. Or you can spend a little more and find a Leupold LPS 3.5 X 14 X 50 with great glass and built like a tank. They can be bought for about $550.00 or so. The LPS scopes were built when Leupold was trying to take over the European market. They put the best of everything in them. The glass was made by Leica and diamond coated. Good luck with your quest.
ShamWow +P+
Originally Posted by mclevela
LOL
Scopes like this Schmidt & Bender 4x pop up frequently at online auctions and typically sell within your price range. Old school perhaps, but they still work.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Hey, TeeBone that's a great looking scope.
Your post to me just screams for the Trijicon Accupoint 3-9.
The name Leupold and the terms reliable tracking, good glass & built like a tank are humorous at best!
I have the scope your looking for. It's a Weaver Super Slam 2 to 10 power with multi-x reticle. Locking turrets that track perfectly. 4 inchs eye relief and huge eye box. If your interested contact me and can send you pics and work out a reasonable deal.

Agreed!
My go to scope, that fills the OP's description, is the Leupold FX3 6x42. I have at least a dozen of them, most with the long range dot duplex reticle. Several of these guns get used year round, coyote calling, and it's a very rare occurrence that any of them require an adjustment.

Most are mounted on a rail, with low Warne maxima rings.

I've been running this combination for 20+ years, and have had 0 issues.

Andy3
Originally Posted by Fotis

Agreed!

Seems this is exactly what he doesn’t want?
A used S&B 6x42 Klassic or Nightforce 3-10 SHV are two that I really like for non-dialing use. The S&B can be found with a 1" tube on the used market.

I've had a 3-9 Accupoint but the only time I spent with it was sighting in. Seems like it would be a good fit for what you're describing based on feedback from others.

I've used a 2-10x42 Tract Toric for several years and it has been a great scope in my use.
I've used many brands of scopes over the past 50 years have sent back for repair most even some just tossed in the garbage never wanting to see them again....for a very good under $700 scope that is simple to sight it in and hunt.....Trijcon Accupoint 3-9 is the best scope out there it has plenty of maximum power and will take care of most shots that a hunter will encounter....a great point is the crosshairs are lit up by radioactive material no other company I now of uses radioactive material every other scope uses old technology a battery that can leak and destroy a scope or you are replacing expensive batteries all the time or trying to find one....
Shouldn't it be mandatory that the scope has passed the vaunted, internet "drop test" before being recommended?
Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by Fotis

Agreed!

Seems this is exactly what he doesn’t want?

Yep. I recently mounted a 3-9x Trijicon Accupoint on my 375 and hope to shoot it this week weather permitting. Midway was selling them for $600 delivered. Though unused I am impressed with the quality.
Years ago my answer to the OP's requirements was a simple Burris Signaure with the posi lock...not a great scope by any means, but reliable and tough pickup gun scope. Well, it died last summer, foreign objects floating in the view...lenses started yellowing, I sent it back to Burris Repair...they sent me an email Monday...unrepairable...they are sending me a 2.5x10 HD Signature with E3 christmas tree reticle. More than fair, I'd say...and I'm a sucker for any holdover reticle. I think they run around 350 bucks the innernut.
👍👍👍
Thank you!
👍👍👍
Thank you👍
Originally Posted by TeeBone
Scopes like this Schmidt & Bender 4x pop up frequently at online auctions and typically sell within your price range. Old school perhaps, but they still work.

Need more pics please, that stock looks very nice.
Thank you👍
Thank you👍👍
Thank you👍
Thank you
Thank you😁
Originally Posted by Andy3
My go to scope, that fills the OP's description, is the Leupold FX3 6x42. I have at least a dozen of them, most with the long range dot duplex reticle. Several of these guns get used year round, coyote calling, and it's a very rare occurrence that any of them require an adjustment.

Most are mounted on a rail, with low Warne maxima rings.

I've been running this combination for 20+ years, and have had 0 issues.

Andy3
This is what you want. I also have several and they are by far the most useful scopes I have for on plain old 'Huntin' rifles"
I have a Vanguard in 300 Weatherby. Bought a.Vari-X 11 3x9 and used it for several years. Put it on my ML. and bought a VX3 3.5 x10 and mounted on it. It didn't last long before it started shifting around zero. VariX-2 failed on the.ML but was 20 years old. Bought a Trijicon 3x9 for the Weatherby. Shot it twice and bullets were close together but a foot low. Moved up 48 clicks but it only moved up half way. Moved up a bunch again shot twice and it was close on elevation moved up some more but suddenly 3" left. Scope failed on the 7th shot. Shot a box of shells moving it left and right. It moves 3 or 4 Inches up and down when adjusted left or right. Took it off to send back. Mounted a.Burris Fullfeild 2. Shot 2 times. It was low and left. Adjusted the clicks up and right. Shot twice it is right where I want it. Shot 3 more times to confirm. Nice tight group right where I want it. Scope cost 105 on Amazon. Adjusts as expected. decent view. Not as good as a Leupold or the Trijicon. But it works. Killed a nice buck first hunt with it.
Hoping the Trijicon is repaired and will work for me. I love the glass and the illumination but 7 shots and fail is pathetic. I know the 300 Weatherby recoils more than some rifles but it isn't that bad and a decent scope should last a while on it.
From his description of what he wants"We want low capped vertical and horizontal adjustments."
I want a 10,000 HP engine that gets 50 mpg.
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
I want a 10,000 HP engine that gets 50 mpg.
Gubmint has had one that will do that burning water but they won't release it.
Such things are eaily realized,with wares that actually exist. Hint.

Just saying..............
Originally Posted by plumbum

Sorry plumbum, I'm a little slow.

It's a Heym commercial Mauser in 338-06 AI.

I would hate to loan that guy a gun to use. I probably would not recognize it when returned. Holy cow that is abuse royally.

Every hunter needs one of these for up to 300 yards and OP wants capped turrets
SWFA 3-9 Milquad in mils is easily capable of steering bullets to three to four times this distance afield.
Originally Posted by FLGator
SWFA 3-9 Milquad in mils is easily capable of steering bullets to three to four times this distance afield.

Couldn't agree more. I'm 50% on 3-9 Accupoints, with one FANTASTC, and one dead on arrival out of the box...

I'm 100% on SWFA 3-9 HD's; Four in use to-date and two more waiting on the sidelines...love them!
[Linked Image]These two! Holding them back for rifles that deserve them! wink

Attached picture IMG_0235.jpeg
To add: Trijicon's customer service/repair was stellar! Well beyond Leupold...
Originally Posted by plumbum

Sorry plumbum, I'm a little slow.

It's a Heym commercial Mauser in 338-06 AI.

Beautiful!
Up for comments...none?
Comments on what?
i do hunt only bigger whitetail bucks so i only use one brand scope anymore and yes this brand scope is expensive but you only live once , i always use a Nightforce scope on my rifle . > our American Navy Seals Snipers use Nightforce scopes they trust this brand scope with their lives .
Originally Posted by pete53
i do hunt only bigger whitetail bucks so i only use one brand scope anymore and yes this brand scope is expensive but you only live once , i always use a Nightforce scope on my rifle . > our American Navy Seals Snipers use Nightforce scopes they trust this brand scope with their lives .

I'll bet that big@ss scope and turrets come in uber-handy in that tamarack swamp you're always crowing about.
Originally Posted by SKane

I'll bet that big@ss scope and turrets come in uber-handy in that tamarack swamp you're always crowing about.

"Bigger bucks" need bigger scopes Scott - sheesh, I thought everyone knew that. It's also important to have a scope you can trust you life to. You never know when a suicide bomber will target your treestand.

grin

don`t worry about it , so if you have a problem with it get over it i like Nightforce scopes or does it make you feel good acting as know it all keyboard boys ? F.U. !
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Comments on what?

Well gee...that we are only 50% out of the box on the vaunted Accupoints; and,

that Trijicon admitted the one was FUBAR (unlike Leupold) - then repaired it...

all in the same number of days it took Leupold to even acknowledge we sent them a broken 3.5-10x40 the exact same day...

don`t worry about it , so if you have a problem with it get over it i like Nightforce scopes or does it make you feel good acting as know it all keyboard boys ? F.U. !

It doesn't make me feel better at all - I just have a low threshold for bullszchit, and you're always dishing it.
Oh, and I like Nightforce scopes too but the OP CLEARLY stated it wasn't in the cards.
Isn’t the shv 3-10 from Nightforce exactly what’s he’s after?

Except for the 1” part.
They don’t seem to get much screen time but Bushnell’s Elite 4500 scopes are a great option in the under $500 space. The 2.5-10 has 4.4 inches of eye relief, made in S Korea, very good glass. 30mm tube.
There are so many good optics out there these days and some trash, too. Scopes that are on deer rifles used primarily in the the woods include Burris FourX 1.5-6x, Kahles AH 3-9x, Swarovski 3-10x, and a Leupold VX-II 2-7x33. None of these have ever failed or required readjustment after zeroing with the load du jour. just my two cents.
I use two rifles for deer hunting. For walking a model 94 with a luepold 2.5 . For stand or heater hunting a cz550 30-06 with a luepold HOG 1x4.
Both have proven to be of good quality and up to task for a couple of seasons.
Time will tell.
Originally Posted by Brad

"Bigger bucks" need bigger scopes Scott - sheesh, I thought everyone knew that. It's also important to have a scope you can trust you life to. You never know when a suicide bomber will target your treestand.

grin

It's a real thing these days whistle
© 24hourcampfire