Home
Posted By: Ndbowhunter Favorite rings - 12/27/23
What’s ur favorite rings?
Posted By: iddave Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23
Seekins
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23
There are many good choices but lately I've been using Warne Mountain Tech rings on several of my rifles.
Posted By: DanInAlaska Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23
For aluminum rings, Seekins are the best I've used. When they were $55-60 a set, I liked the Vortex Pro Series, but now they're $80.

For steel rings, I've been using Warne Horizontal Maximas.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23
American rifle company
Posted By: Ndbowhunter Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23
Originally Posted by bowmanh
There are many good choices but lately I've been using Warne Mountain Tech rings on several of my rifles.

Cwh had some break. Thinking of ditching them
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23
For pic rings, APA and Seekins...depending on how low is too low.
Posted By: Slipstream Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23
Originally Posted by iddave
Seekins

Ditto. If the rifle manufacture supplies their own (Ruger), I'll use those. Otherwise, I try to go with Seekins.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23
Seekins and Nightforce UltraLites
Posted By: murkydismal Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23
Weaver Sure Grip. everything from .223 to lightweight 3006,300,338,375 magnums. Never an issue, course I don't use scopes
that outweigh the gun.
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
Originally Posted by bowmanh

Cwh had some break. Thinking of ditching them
I haven't had any problems with them so far. But I suppose any aluminum rings can break under certain circumstances.
Posted By: lone wolf Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23
Originally Posted by 300MAG
Seekins and Nightforce UltraLites

This
Posted By: plumbum Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23
Regular Weaver rings. The original QD ring, lightweight, have never had one fail. They just require a little patience when setting up.

Talleys are nice too.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23
Leupold DD's, Burris Zee rings, Burris XTR's, Leupold PRW, Nightforce ultralights. AR's get Burris PEPR. They all work great, but are for different applications. "Best" is always subjective, but there should be different categories IMHO. Like for instance: 22lr, precision rifle, AR 15, hunting rifle, lightweight hunting rifle. etc. etc..
Posted By: MOW Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23
DNZ if the spacing is right for the scope I'm using and Burris Signature Zee rings for adjustable spacing.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23
Seekings and warne steel vertical split.
Posted By: noKnees Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23
Burris signatures/XTR signatuires for most applications. I just tried UM Tikka rings for the tikka dovetail and they look nice, but I am just starting with them.
Posted By: Ndbowhunter Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23
Originally Posted by noKnees
Burris signatures/XTR signatuires for most applications. I just tried UM Tikka rings for the tikka dovetail and they look nice, but I am just starting with them.

I had two different UM sets that wouldn’t hold zero. The tikka dovetail is just too shallow. I’m sure for most applications they are fine, but a known good swfa was getting 6” horizontal shift with chest high drops onto hardpacked snow. Everything was tight and degreased.

Swapped out to picatinny rail and volquartsen rings and groups stayed small and round with the same scope/rifle
Posted By: pete53 Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23
i only use a picatinny steel bases and steel rings that fit on picatinny bases anymore .
Posted By: 01Foreman400 Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23
APA and Seekins
Posted By: SDHNTR Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23
NF UL
Posted By: RemingtonPeters Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23
Leupold.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23

Varies a bit. I like Talley one piece for a lot of applications. I know some people report trouble with them. I've been using them for 10+ years on various rifles and haven't had any failures. When I do, I'll worry about it. My other main choice is Leupold dual dovetail. The thing I like about Leupold dual dovetail B&R is they seem to have fewer sharp edges to snag on stuff. I mostly use Ruger, but some Leupold, rings for Ruger ring/mount setups. I also have some Weaver bases with Burris Zee rings on Contender barrels. Couple of older Weaver base and ring sets for Ruger single action revolvers.

The only thing I've ever had trouble with were some "std" base and ring sets with a turn-in front and rear screw which backed off under repeated recoil. In general, the closer to a ring + base being a single machined piece, the fewer problems.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23
Burris XTR Sig
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23
I’ve been using the cheap Monstrum rings from Amazon recently and no complaints yet.
Posted By: Al_Nyhus Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23
The Warne Vapor horizontals are good ones, too.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Favorite rings - 12/27/23
Conetrol

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Higginez Re: Favorite rings - 12/28/23
Originally Posted by huntsman22
American rifle company

This in spades...
Posted By: BobbyTomek Re: Favorite rings - 12/28/23
I have been using Warne split verticals for quite a few years and wouldn't consider putting a nice scope into anything else. Used properly, they'll never leave a mark on a scope and have proven to be durable and reliable. I've had scopes that have been swapped around and put into in Warne rings multiple times, and yet the tubes could have passed for new.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is how a scope looks after being removed from Warne rings.

Posted By: hanco Re: Favorite rings - 12/28/23
Talley bases and rings for bolt guns, Weaver bases and Burris signature Zee rings for 99’s
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Favorite rings - 12/28/23
NF UL’s.

For QD I like steel Talley Levers.
Posted By: lynntelk Re: Favorite rings - 12/28/23
Classic caliber in a classic rifle with no need for twisting dials, I like the SK rings and bases.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Favorite rings - 12/28/23
Warne MountainTech, Leupold BC’s, TPS Alloys, and a smattering of others have worked great.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Favorite rings - 12/28/23
Sportsmatch
Optilock
Burris Signature
Posted By: shoreacres1 Re: Favorite rings - 01/03/24
I'm a mountain rifles guy so I go lightweight. I really like the s&k rings and bases. Super simple and very light. Great customer service.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Favorite rings - 01/04/24
I like Hawkins
Posted By: Bull64 Re: Favorite rings - 01/04/24
Warne…
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Favorite rings - 01/04/24
Talley Screwlocks
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Favorite rings - 01/04/24
I guess my favorites are on my rifles.

Seekins
Burris Signature Zees
Sportsmatch
American Defense
Posted By: Starbuck Re: Favorite rings - 01/04/24
Originally Posted by noKnees

I had two different UM sets that wouldn’t hold zero. The tikka dovetail is just too shallow. I’m sure for most applications they are fine, but a known good swfa was getting 6” horizontal shift with chest high drops onto hardpacked snow. Everything was tight and degreased.

Swapped out to picatinny rail and volquartsen rings and groups stayed small and round with the same scope/rifle

By stating that the dovetail is too shallow, are you also stating/infering that the ring came displaced from dovetail during shooting, which thereby effectuated a POI change?

Certainly a 1913 rail and good rings is a robust way to secure a scope to a rifle. But I have UM's on 2 Tiikas. No problems. Additionally, I have used Sportsmatch on 6 or so, and haven't had a single issue, including some rigs that were intentionally drop tested.
Posted By: strosfann Re: Favorite rings - 01/04/24
If they still made them I’d use Burris Signature Dual Dovetail on most of my rifles. They work great if you are going to mount a scope on a particular rifle and leave it long term.

I have Seekins 30mm I like as well.
Posted By: Ridge250 Re: Favorite rings - 01/04/24
Nightforce rings
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Favorite rings - 01/04/24
American rifle company

^^^^
This.

Don’t know that they hold more securely than others, but they certainly hold at least as well, and my scopes do not rotate in the rings when tightening the fasteners. That alone makes them worth the $.

https://americanrifle.odoo.com/shop/m10-scope-rings-7#attr=200,23

Also think highly of Seekins, and SWFA rings. For a 30mm tube, the SWFAs are hands down the most for the least.

John
Posted By: Starbuck Re: Favorite rings - 01/04/24
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
American rifle company

^^^^
This.

Don’t know that they hold more securely than others, but they certainly hold at least as well, and my scopes do not rotate in the rings when tightening the fasteners. That alone makes them worth the $.

https://americanrifle.odoo.com/shop/m10-scope-rings-7#attr=200,23

Also think highly of Seekins, and SWFA rings. For a 30mm tube, the SWFAs are hands down the most for the least.

John

I agree with the SWFA rings. Have used a lot of sets and haven't had the slightest hint of a problem.

Also like and use the Burrris XTR Signatures. Great design. Grips a scope well, cures a lot of mounting evils, and very useful for adding inclination and/or bottoming out a turret as a zero stop on scopes that are not so equipped.
Posted By: JeffP Re: Favorite rings - 01/04/24
Originally Posted by iddave
Seekins
+1
Posted By: Motown Re: Favorite rings - 01/04/24
For me it all depends on the rifle and setup. I like DNZ rings if the scope is a bit bigger, but with smaller scopes they just don’t look right to me. For a lot of my rifles I am also using the Warne Maxima horizontal rings and really like them.
Posted By: Teal Re: Favorite rings - 01/04/24
Mine all seem to have Leup DDs on them, save the B14R - that has Arken rings which have given me zero reason to cuss.
Posted By: grumpy7904 Re: Favorite rings - 01/04/24
S & K is all I use now
Posted By: robthom Re: Favorite rings - 01/04/24
Talley Screwlock.

But I also like the aesthetics of Control.

But I like having s back up scope, zeroed and in rings as a back up.
Posted By: 3dtestify Re: Favorite rings - 01/04/24
Buehler vertical split rings for classics.
Tilden rings & Stith streamline mounts for early vintage rifles.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Favorite rings - 01/05/24
I like Leupold’s QR bases and rings..
Posted By: screaminweasil Re: Favorite rings - 01/05/24
Onion
Posted By: hanco Re: Favorite rings - 01/05/24
Originally Posted by screaminweasil
Onion

Me too
Posted By: sidewinder72 Re: Favorite rings - 01/05/24
I love the Leupold Dual Dovetail rings, they are rock solid and for AR's I use Leupold Mark 4 rings built like a tank.
Posted By: goalie Re: Favorite rings - 01/05/24
Originally Posted by Teal
Mine all seem to have Leup DDs on them, save the B14R - that has Arken rings which have given me zero reason to cuss.

I wish I would have seen this sooner. I have Burris XTR signatures coming for the scope coming for mine, but would have tried them. Although the adjustment ability with the XTR's is pretty nice for a rimfire.
Posted By: Teal Re: Favorite rings - 01/05/24
Originally Posted by goalie

I wish I would have seen this sooner. I have Burris XTR signatures coming for the scope coming for mine, but would have tried them. Although the adjustment ability with the XTR's is pretty nice for a rimfire.

I put an Arken on it - the SH-4 Gen II 4x16 and they had a package where you get rings, throw lever, level and caps - so I got them and it's on a 40moa rail IIRC The rings were round and are beefy. I expect no issues.

This year 2023 has been a complete chit show since about Feb 7. ZERO goals and plans achieved so hopeful 24 is better and I can do some NRL22 with it. I have just too many irons going. Need to complete a Highpower build too yet.
I gave a friend my match upper to use two years ago. Highpower time isn't in the cards, but there are some long range rimfire shoots by my cabin, so hopefully my son and I can get to a few with his Bergara. I'm putting an Athlon Ares ETR UHD 3-18X50 APRS6 FFP IR MIL on it that is scheduled to arrive today, and the XTR's should be here tomorrow.

Mine Bergara is liking Standard Velocity so far using a Helos 2-12.

I put an Arken on it - the SH-4 Gen II 4x16 and they had a package where you get rings, throw lever, level and caps - so I got them and it's on a 40moa rail IIRC The rings were round and are beefy. I expect no issues.

This year 2023 has been a complete chit show since about Feb 7. ZERO goals and plans achieved so hopeful 24 is better and I can do some NRL22 with it. I have just too many irons going. Need to complete a Highpower build too yet.

Add on pack - Here - 34 MM

Scope - Here - I got mine in MIL
That looks like a pretty good deal. ExpertVoice had the Ares for over 50% off retail, so I figured I'd give it a try. I'm interested to check out tracking on a rest at the indoor range with literal zero wind. Plus, now I have two of the Helos 2-12's for hunting rifles. cool
I haven't looked at or played with Athlon's at all - they have a pile of models it seems so hard to know what is/isn't junk.

This year's goals - complete Highpower build, was going to buy an upper from Lake Compass but that's no go now - will end up at White Oak then. Scope it etc. I'd also like to start squirreling away parts for a future grandchild. Classy wood/blue rifle for his/her dad when they come as a "congrats". Could always use another 1911 or Sig with optics, finish my Kibler Colonial flintlock, race a few ATV cross country things (local), - just a pile going on.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Favorite rings - 01/05/24
That looks like a pretty good deal. ExpertVoice had the Ares for over 50% off retail, so I figured I'd give it a try. I'm interested to check out tracking on a rest at the indoor range with literal zero wind. Plus, now I have two of the Helos 2-12's for hunting rifles. cool

Those Helos 2-12’s don’t suck at all. The 4-20 is pretty solid as well.
Originally Posted by beretzs

Those Helos 2-12’s don’t suck at all. The 4-20 is pretty solid as well.

If the Ares is significantly better glass, with the same turret repeatability and adjustments, I'll be pretty happy with it. I do wish the Helos was lighter, but it is what it is.
Posted By: swampkid Re: Favorite rings - 01/06/24
Seekins,Badger Ordnance,ARC are all good rings
Posted By: goalie Re: Favorite rings - 01/07/24

Thanks! The XTR's were too high, so I tried them.

No alignment issues, I like 'em.
Posted By: 6mmCreedmoor Re: Favorite rings - 01/07/24
Originally Posted by screaminweasil
Onion

good one!
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Favorite rings - 01/20/24
Another vote for Conetrol.

Posted By: drano 25 Re: Favorite rings - 01/20/24
I’m a fan of the Spuhr Hunting series: https://www.milehighshooting.com/spuhr-hp30-19a-picatinny-aesthetic-rings-30mm-h-0-75/

Posted By: SuperCub Re: Favorite rings - 01/23/24
Originally Posted by plumbum
Regular Weaver rings. The original QD ring, lightweight, have never had one fail. They just require a little patience when setting up.

Talleys are nice too.

Yes on both counts.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Favorite rings - 01/23/24
I have lots of rings on rifles , pistols . Most came on used rifles.
I have changed out a good amount for Conetrol starting years ago when George was running Conetrol.

I have moved over to S&K ....for no big reason. S&K customer service is excellent.

They are not cheap , neither are Conetrols. I do not use "turn in" rings. I do not use ugly , blocky, bulbous rings.

Just my 2C.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Favorite rings - 01/23/24
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
I have been using Warne split verticals for quite a few years and wouldn't consider putting a nice scope into anything else. Used properly, they'll never leave a mark on a scope and have proven to be durable and reliable. I've had scopes that have been swapped around and put into in Warne rings multiple times, and yet the tubes could have passed for new.

This is how a scope looks after being removed from Warne rings.

I wasn't aware that the Warne Splits didn't leave ring marks.
I've used mostly Burris Signatures because they don't scratch scope tubes. They will leave a very slight polished looking spot.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Favorite rings - 01/23/24
These (ARC) on my new, modern rifles, https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1024428347?pid=486103, having once tried these (4 sets now) I don't see myself using anything else.

These (Talley steel vertically split) on my Win 70s, https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/product/screw-lock-detachable-scope-rings/
Posted By: Maaax Re: Favorite rings - 01/23/24
Alaska Arms.
Posted By: oldcuss Re: Favorite rings - 01/23/24
I have Buehler on a Mauser 7x57 that's been on the gun since 1974.
Conetrol on a 222Rem and on a 22-250, both model 700s - no problems
Quite a few Weavers on various center and rimfires-no problems
Talleys on all the model 70s and couple of Burris with the vinyl inserts
and no probems.
All the Ruger centerfires wear Ruger rings, the rimfires Weavers.
No problems with any, guess I have been lucky
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Favorite rings - 01/24/24
Y'all love Talleys.... look for cracks.
Posted By: EdM Re: Favorite rings - 01/24/24
I recently installed this Near base/ring on my M70 375 H&H and it is a beautifully made piece.

Posted By: Triggernosis Re: Favorite rings - 01/25/24
Originally Posted by EdM
I recently installed this Near base/ring on my M70 375 H&H and it is a beautifully made piece.

It resembles a trim DNZ Game Reaper.
Posted By: EdM Re: Favorite rings - 01/25/24
Originally Posted by cisco1
Y'all love Talleys.... look for cracks.

Never an issue.
Posted By: 163bc Re: Favorite rings - 01/25/24
There are plenty of good ones but Talley steel QD rings are the most bombproof IMHO. I run levers or screw locks. Either are rock solid. Have em and used em on all my big game rifles.

https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/product/quick-detachable-ring-w-lever/
© 24hourcampfire