Home
Posted By: Kenneth Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 - 02/08/24
This particular model does or does not have a zero stop, or set?????????

Any other thoughts on this model, and I believe it has rumors of a short mounting length?

Could be going on a long action 700,

Your thoughts please.
Posted By: mathman Re: Nightforce SHV 3-10x45 - 02/08/24
Do you mean 3-10x42?

If so, the mounting length is 5.1 inches.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Nightforce SHV 3-10x45 - 02/08/24
And does not have a zero stop, but one can be made.
Have one on a long action CLR. Have 2 on short action Montana’s and another on the way for a long action Montana (thanks again wolverine👍)
They’re my favorite scope for a hunting rifle, especially for the price.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Nightforce SHV 3-10x45 - 02/08/24
Originally Posted by mathman
Do you mean 3-10x42?

On my………….
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
And does not have a zero stop, but one can be made.

So the other 3 models only, have the zero ‘set’ ?
Tracking seems to be reliable?

Next step up is the NXS 2.5-10x42

Significant price increase, 80%? (WAG). That’s a huge jump, is there a huge jump in performance to reflect this upper tier price? Where and how?

Eyebox and relief satisfactory?

Nothing in stores here to evaluate. This will be a mail order deal.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Nightforce SHV 3-10x45 - 02/09/24
Anyone feel that maybe they should have bought a model with Parallax adjustment? Might get out to 600 with this gun.
Posted By: Starbuck Re: Nightforce SHV 3-10x45 - 02/09/24
I've had a number of the SHV 3-10. They have been very good for me. They do not have an OEM zero stop. They have dialed reliably for me. If mounting on a long action, the Warne extended front bases can be used.

IME, the travel distance between elevation revs is small and doesn't lend itself as well to an aftermarket shim type zero stop as other designs, such as the SWFA classics. For awhile I used some sanded down pieces of 3/4" pex as a stop. They worked OK. These days I write the rev number on the silver turret retailer screw. Or just work off the MOAR reticle.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Nightforce SHV 3-10x45 - 02/09/24
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Anyone feel that maybe they should have bought a model with Parallax adjustment?

I have both, & I prefer the adjustable parallax, however in the 3-10x, it comes at the expense of illumination.

MM
Posted By: SDHNTR Re: Nightforce SHV 3-10x45 - 02/09/24
The NXS has an exposed turret, a zero stop, and slightly better glass.

The SHV is great too for what it is. Do you want to pay $800 for a few extra features? That’s what it boils down to.

I have both. The SHV’s go on the rifles that will dial less, but still have the capability. The NXS goes on the regular dialer.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Nightforce SHV 3-10x45 - 02/09/24
If I buy a used NXS 2.5-10 for $xxx and use it for 3 years and then sell it for +/- $50 of the original $xxx, how much money did I lose? Seems to me for +/-$50 if bought used, its sort of meaningless.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Nightforce SHV 3-10x45 - 02/09/24
I made my own Zero-Stop for an SHV:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...79/nightforce-shv-zero-stop#Post18991379
Posted By: sidepass Re: Nightforce SHV 3-10x45 - 02/09/24
Mounted mine on a rebarreled Kimber Longmaster from 308 win to 6.5 CM . Has a fiber zero stop added ,mostly use the MOAR reticle but have dialed it plenty with no issues.
Posted By: okie john Re: Nightforce SHV 3-10x45 - 02/10/24
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
The NXS has an exposed turret, a zero stop, and slightly better glass.

The SHV is great too for what it is. Do you want to pay $800 for a few extra features? That’s what it boils down to.

I have both. The SHV’s go on the rifles that will dial less, but still have the capability. The NXS goes on the regular dialer.

I have two of them and this pretty much sums it up: good glass, repeatability, illumination, simple reticle. It's the scope that Leupold should be making. Using a low rail lets you put the rings where they need to go and gives you some flexibility with eye relief.

Okie John
© 24hourcampfire