Home
Posted By: Angus1895 Did I break my Burris? - 02/09/24
Oh man, I shot my 1903 A3 and a primer blew out. The action became bound. I transferred my scope a Burris LRS full field 11 3.5 x 10 x 50 which had Leupold mount. Not dual dove tail. I tourqued on the front dove tail to get it on. Now the crosshairs are kittywhampuss?

It was a scene getting this thing to zero. I bought it used for not 2 much. So is it a bad thing to torque them into Leupold bases on the front ring?

Thanks
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Oh man, I shot my 1903 A3 and a primer blew out. The action became bound. I transferred my scope a Burris LRS full field 11 3.5 x 10 x 50 which had Leupold mount. Not dual dove tail. I tourqued on the front dove tail to get it on. Now the crosshairs are kittywhampuss?

It was a scene getting this thing to zero. I bought it used for not 2 much. So is it a bad thing to torque them into Leupold bases on the front ring?

Thanks

Hopefully you used alignment bars first, to make sure everything was in proper alignment..
Posted By: Starbuck Re: Did I break my Burris? - 02/09/24
Nice cast.
You twisted in the front ring with the scope tube as a lever? WTF?
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Did I break my Burris? - 02/09/24
Yes
Posted By: Full3r Re: Did I break my Burris? - 02/09/24
Burris has a great warranty program. Get online and set up a checkup, cost ya shipping one way. Just had my first problem with a Burris and it was 5 weeks to the day I shipped until I had it back. The damage was my fault and I told them that up front, and that I would pay to repair. They covered it under their warranty and I had about $11 in shipping.

First class in my book
Next time get yourself a dowel rod and tighten ring to it and turn it in. It will save you some headaches.
Posted By: JakeM78 Re: Did I break my Burris? - 02/09/24
Originally Posted by jackmountain
You twisted in the front ring with the scope tube as a lever? WTF?

Right
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Did I break my Burris? - 02/09/24
Here is my sign.

Ooops.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Did I break my Burris? - 02/09/24
There was an article this month in Rifle that addressed this specific issue. Suggest you pick it up.
Posted By: RickinTN Re: Did I break my Burris? - 02/14/24
Same as using the scope for a pry bar. If I see a scope for sale with the front turn-in ring still in place it's a no-go from the start.
Good Luck,
Rick
Posted By: Fotis Re: Did I break my Burris? - 02/14/24
Burris has a warranty program.... Time to use it.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Did I break my Burris? - 02/15/24
In the other thread you self-identified as a guy that could fugg up a wet dream, right?

Consider a new hobby, and don’t procreate……
Posted By: Batchief909 Re: Did I break my Burris? - 02/16/24
Originally Posted by Pappy348
In the other thread you self-identified as a guy that could fugg up a wet dream, right?

grin grin
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Did I break my Burris? - 02/16/24
I like/use alot of Leupold STD bases/rings. I just use a small wrench on the base of the front ring to turn it into the dovetail or in just removing the scope leaving the rings attached. "Look to the wrench"!!! smile
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I like/use alot of Leupold STD bases/rings. I just use a small wrench on the base of the front ring to turn it into the dovetail or in just removing the scope leaving the rings attached. "Look to the wrench"!!! smile

Yes, they make a plastic wrench exactly for this purpose. A standard open end wrench also works, but not the best tool for the job. Much better than a scope tube though. Whoever uses the scope to twist in the ring, needs to take up a different hobby..
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Did I break my Burris? - 02/16/24
Looking at the scope I broke , the guts of the erector is distal ( towards the eye piece.) I think it failed when I was pushing the back ring into the slot.

I definitely will no longer use Leupold mounts in future.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Posted By: JakeM78 Re: Did I break my Burris? - 02/16/24
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Looking at the scope I broke , the guts of the erector is distal ( towards the eye piece.) I think it failed when I was pushing the back ring into the slot.

I definitely will no longer use Leupold mounts in future.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

I don't think the rings/mounts are the problem. That said, there isn't really a reason to use a windage adjustable rear.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Did I break my Burris? - 02/16/24
I understand that I am the problem
But looking at it from my end…..

A Leupold mount requires removing rings from scope each time it is removed/ attached.

The rear mount looks suspicious for stability at best. Removing it changes things. The front dove tail wears out with use.

Removing the scope to use iron sights in inclement weather is contraindicated. Removing the scope while in the saddle is contraindicated. I have a few quick detach red field mounts with peeps. ( I assumed they had a purpose)

Unlike a weaver or picanty base I am unaware of how to attach a red dot…

It don’t fit my deal.

It’s a cull

Addios Amigos
Posted By: boatboy Re: Did I break my Burris? - 02/17/24
I remember reading here a member uses a cheap REM package take off scope for that purpose

Odd but I have a 50BMG case that works well for that purpose

Hank
Posted By: bearbacker Re: Did I break my Burris? - 02/20/24
A screwdriver handle works pretty well, and the one with my Chapman screwdriver set works very well with 1" rings. I put the front ring together (screws don't really need to be very tight) insert the screwdriver handle and twist the front ring into the dovetail mount socket. It's often very hard to turn at first and eases up as you twist it into alignment. Then I twist just a bit past straight with the bore and back up until it is straight. By this point it's easy enough to move that it usually won't damage the scope and then I can bore sight using the windage screws on the rear ring. I mount the rear ring and then align the two rings with a dowel rod (broom or mop handle has worked). Remove the ring top caps and see how the scope fits into the bottoms of the rings. The dowel rod can be used to align the two rings as well. I have even lapped the ring bottoms with a mop handle and 600 sandpaper. The screwdriver handle (plastic) and the wood rod aren't hard enough to damage the rings, and I have them on hand already.
Or you can buy the scope mounting and alignment tools from Leupold if you wish.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Did I break my Burris? - 02/20/24
Originally Posted by Pappy348

LOL! Not sure why anyone would feel the need to use the scope. That front ring takes some torque to get it in place. I have a wooden dowel rod that fits perfectly. A light weight aluminum bodied scope is not the right tool for the job
Posted By: Jason280 Re: Did I break my Burris? - 02/21/24
I've used a 1" aluminum bar or wooden dowel in the past, but lately I just use a crescent wrench.
I know a fool that used the scope to twist in a dovetail ring.
Luckily he didn't damage his scope.
You'd think an electrician would know better ?

Use a wooden dowel for cryin out loud.
© 24hourcampfire