Home
Posted By: Ngrumba Discontinued Leupold? - 02/16/24
Just got off the phone with Leupold. They are discontinuing fixed 6X scopes and all their pistol scopes. Crazy.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/16/24
My guess is because they are not selling. I had a 6x36 and several 6x42, a couple 6x42 S&Bs and one 8x56 Swarovski, great scopes but variables rule the day these days.
Posted By: WoodsyAl Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/16/24
Seems like the things that sell are variables and high magnification. Glad I’ve got a bunch of 6x’s.
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/16/24
I think the 2.5x ultralight is discontinued as well.
Posted By: Starbuck Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/16/24
I still have a few 6x. At one point I ran 6x's from Leupold, Sightron, Meopta SWFA and Weaver. Only the SWFA's are still mounted at this time. Haven't sold the others off due nostalgia, I guess.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/16/24
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
I think the 2.5x ultralight is discontinued as well.

That's a loss, good scope for stoppers and woods rifles.
Posted By: RicG Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/16/24
I’ve got one 6x Leupy left. It has the LRDot reticle. Pretty nice. I’m trying to decide whether I should keep it or let it go. Have had some pretty generous offers. I’m getting old and selling off a good portion of my guns and scopes. I will only be keeping a couple of rifles / scopes.
Posted By: bugs4 Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/16/24
I've said this before, for a plain old "huntin' rifle" that you might stretch out to 300-400 yards, a good fixed 6x works wonders, the Leupold 6 x 42 with their long range duplex reticle possibly being the best of the bunch. I still have a couple on working rifles and am quite satisfied.
Posted By: JakeM78 Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/16/24
It's hard to beat a 6x for all around use.
Posted By: ths Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/16/24
Boy I sure hope they haven't discontinued the 2.5x compact! Still shows on their website, the 6x is gone. I just ordered another 2.5x to be on the safe side. Lately they have only had one in stock at a time, can't order 2. Shame about the 6x, but since they only had the stupid wide duplex reticle available I'm not surprised no one would buy it. I certainly have not ordered one since they went to that reticle and closed the custom shop.
Posted By: Cascade Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/16/24
Good grief.

I'd guess most of their business has shifted to nothing but long-range, variable power scopes...

Their fixed power scopes were great!

Guy
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/16/24
There is a 6x scope in a lot of variables.
Posted By: JakeM78 Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/16/24
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

There is. With more weight and more parts.
Posted By: Brad Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/17/24
Originally Posted by JakeM78
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

There is. With more weight and more parts.

Yep. Both statements are true. I like a fixed six - KISS. I've got two 6x36 LRD's. I won't be getting rid of them any time soon.
Posted By: 10at6 Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/17/24
The 6x36 is simply the best elk scope made.
Posted By: Starbuck Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/17/24
Originally Posted by 10at6
The 6x36 is simply the best elk scope made.

I had a 6x42 gold ring with mil dot reticle from the custom shop on a Weatherby ULW in 7mm WB. Carried it over lots and lots of miles while hunting elk and other criters. Shot it a ĺot, too. Sold both off many years ago. Sometimes wish for the scope back.

The Sightron 6x44 I have is tough as nails, is light, has very good glass. If I could get it with something close to an MQ, I'd gladly run it for elk.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/17/24
I just wish they didn't put the CDS dial on "everything"! It sure clutters up the lines on the 2.5x8 and 1.5x5, both my faves.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/17/24
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I just wish they didn't put the CDS dial on "everything"! It sure clutters up the lines on the 2.5x8 and 1.5x5, both my faves.

Yeah. I wish they'd return the B&C crosshairs to their lower magnification scopes and either B&C or VH to those in the middle.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/17/24
What a bummer. They ticked me off a while back with the end of their beautiful little 2x pistol scope. I still have a couple of the 2.5x 20mm Compacts which are great scopes for shotguns used for turkey and slug use. If they discontinue all the fixed power stuff that also means the end of the 2.5x Scout scope, which I also like and have had one for over 15 years now.
Posted By: Al_Nyhus Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/17/24
Originally Posted by Starbuck
The Sightron 6x44 I have is tough as nails, is light, has very good glass. If I could get it with something close to an MQ, I'd gladly run it for elk.

Depending on the model, Sightron can do reticle changes. Look on their home page under 'Support' for the proceedure.
Posted By: Starbuck Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/17/24
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by Starbuck

Depending on the model, Sightron can do reticle changes. Look on their home page under 'Support' for the proceedure.

Al:

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be checking into it.
Posted By: Babydeer Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/18/24
That’s too bad. The leupold 6x is a solid scope.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/18/24
I wish they would reintroduce the Early 80s Vari-X internals.
Posted By: Live2hunt941 Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/18/24
I’ve got a 6x42 m8 with a German #4 One of my favorite hunting scopes
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/19/24
Leupold doesn't seem to understand the dislike most men have for the wide duplex reticle. It seems to the be kiss of death for any scope that gets saddled with it.
Posted By: mathman Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/19/24
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Leupold doesn't seem to understand the dislike most men have for the wide duplex reticle. It seems to the be kiss of death for any scope that gets saddled with it.

Making that the usual reticle was a dumb move. Widening the gap removes the utility of the duplex.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Discontinued Leupold? - 02/19/24
Strange part is even with the standard duplex, there is a wide variety of actual reticles among different models. Some are heavier, some are narrower, some are wider.
© 24hourcampfire