Home
Posted By: deaner20 Gpo German precision optics - 03/21/24
Just been looking at these and wanted see if anyone had and thought & experience with them
And any thoughts on best $ on them thanks
Posted By: 007FJ Re: Gpo German precision optics - 03/21/24
Be glad when Doug sees this. I’ve been waiting with you every since you asked. My belief is that they are really good however I haven’t touched one.
Originally Posted by deaner20
Just been looking at these and wanted see if anyone had and thought & experience with them

Which of their optics are you interested in? Binoculars? Rangefinder’s? Combo units? Riflescopes? Reticle spotter?
Their Rangeguide LRF binocular is fantastic.
I had a Passion 3-9. It was a nice scope with clear glass. I sold it because it no longer had a rifle to use it on. I would call it pretty equal to any other brand that is made in the Philippines. It is a good medium priced option. I have not used any of their higher end stuff. I don’t like that they are capitalizing on the reputation of German glass but they do not use it.
Posted By: 007FJ Re: Gpo German precision optics - 03/22/24
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

Which of their optics are you interested in? Binoculars? Rangefinder’s? Combo units? Riflescopes? Reticle spotter?

Riflescopes for me. The 3-9, 4-12, 1-6 Passion (vs Sightron 1-6 TAC/Meopta/Athlon/Arken), 1-6 and 1.5-9 Spectras. The problem choosing for me on the low power ones are reticle choices and weight.

Add reticle spotter and RF since you brought them up.
Overall, in my opinion, GPO offers good quality products that compare, throughout their different products, to higher priced offerings from other brands. They offer a lifetime no fault warranty that you rarely hear about because they have excellent quality control so it's rarely needed.
GPO has gotten quite the following on their Rangeguide Binocular Rangefinders as the glass is excellent and the rangefinder is very accurate.

Spec Link for Rangeguides
Gpotac 8x 2.5-20-50
Looking at these thanks
Gpotac 8x 2.5-20-50
Looking at these thanks

I think for under $2,000 you won't find a higher quality scope than their GPOTAC series
When will the centuri line be available? The 3-18 checks a lot of boxes for what I want for my 25-06.
Originally Posted by shelton573
When will the centuri line be available? The 3-18 checks a lot of boxes for what I want for my 25-06.

We are told Summer, however, having been in the industry for a few decades my reply is:
As soon as we have a firm date we will let you know
The name is deceptive to me.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7

I agree and posted above about it. When I first encountered one at a LGS, I asked where they were made. The dud behind the counter very sarcastically said “Germany.” I replied that even Zeiss builds some in Japan. I asked to see the scope and it had “Made in the Philippines” etched on the bottom. I showed it the the dud and said he should know his products a little better.
Originally Posted by Hogwild7

The brand name is stupid, IMO, however, that issue does not detract from the quality of their products.
They are playing the game of where the products are "designed"... not where they are made. Other companies do that too... Including Zeiss. These are nice mid-price range products. Just don't get fooled and think they are "German" optics. DD62
The name and deception turns me off. I realize many scopes are made in asia, but they're trying to make you think theirs isn't. I get it, it's just marketing, but I get tired of deceit and word games.
Originally Posted by gsganzer
The name and deception turns me off. I realize many scopes are made in asia, but they're trying to make you think theirs isn't. I get it, it's just marketing, but I get tired of deceit and word games.

I won't buy a Vortex Diamondback because it's not really a snake.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Nice!! grin
I have been using their passion hd 12.5x50 binos and am thoroughly impressed. Their eye cups make me shake my head at swaro. Why the alpha brands can't make decent eye cups is beyond me. Such a simple part of binoculars that so many miss the mark on.
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Overall, in my opinion, GPO offers good quality products that compare, throughout their different products, to higher priced offerings from other brands. They offer a lifetime no fault warranty that you rarely hear about because they have excellent quality control so it's rarely needed.
GPO has gotten quite the following on their Rangeguide Binocular Rangefinders as the glass is excellent and the rangefinder is very accurate.

Spec Link for Rangeguides
Those bear a striking resemblance to the newish Revic except the price is a lot less and many more options. wink
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

LOL.

You know that's not the point and using German in the name is a bit misleading.

The optics market is sure getting crowded with good options.
Well, "German Precision Optics" probably will sell better than "Filipino Precision Optics".

However, these look pretty good to me.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/germa...6?variation=3650296&query=rangeguide
Several years back I took in a pair of the 12x Passion and worked with them a bit. I was very impressed.
Getting hung up on names, location of manufacture, etc nowadays is an exercise in futility. There are only a handful of manufacturers worldwide, and most everyone uses them, at least when glass and components are considered. I admit the GPO name is a joke, but the Rangemaster bino/rf units are superb. Leupold's version is a rebadged Meopta like it has been for years, electronics are all made in China no matter the brand, and the list goes on, and on, and on.

The price point will be a dead giveaway as to where they're made.
Posted By: 007FJ Re: Gpo German precision optics - 03/23/24
I’d like a list of LOW Japanese manufacturing optics regardless of brand. Philippines with Jap or German Glass specific. You can’t keep up with all of it though because for instance the Vector Continental line is supposed to be German glass in a Chinese scope to further spin you out.

Raider is right about pricing though from my observations.
If it’s 1- 300 it’s likely Chinese Glass and manufacture.
2000 up and it’s likely American or Europe made with German Glass.
In between those and it becomes difficult.
Japanese LOW built stuff and sourced is where I’ve found myself drawn to if not spending Alpha Money.
LOW Glass in a PI made scope is where I’d say the best bang for the buck lies.
Posted By: SKane Re: Gpo German precision optics - 03/23/24
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I admit the GPO name is a joke, but the Rangemaster bino/rf units are superb.

I got the GPO 8x40 Rangeguide not too long ago and it sure seems to track with this but have a couple of things to nitpick;

I have average interpupillary distance (66.5mm/men) and really need to squeeze the barrels together. In doing so, the range indicator sits at about a 15° angle. One would need some wide eyes for it to be level but I understand it'd be pretty hard to have an @ss for every seat in that regard. And the eye relief is just a wee lacking compared to the 8x32 version.

But it's built like a tank, pretty darned-good glass, very expedient readouts and the focus wheel is like buttah.
Originally Posted by 007FJ
I’d like a list of LOW Japanese manufacturing optics regardless of brand. Philippines with Jap or German Glass specific. You can’t keep up with all of it though because for instance the Vector Continental line is supposed to be German glass in a Chinese scope to further spin you out.

Raider is right about pricing though from my observations.
If it’s 1- 300 it’s likely Chinese Glass and manufacture.
2000 up and it’s likely American or Europe made with German Glass.
In between those and it becomes difficult.
Japanese LOW built stuff and sourced is where I’ve found myself drawn to if not spending Alpha Money.
LOW Glass in a PI made scope is where I’d say the best bang for the buck lies.

I don’t know how accurate this list is…..

https://sageratsafaris.com/light-optical-works-japan/
i have been using the swarovski 3-10x42 scope on my rifles...i like they way they look and they are a step above the vx-3 line of scopes i use to use
my question is are these a few steps above the swarovski for about the same money?
I know I can get most of my money out of the swaro but not sure on these if i ever wanted to sell them
I feel the same way about my tract scope and if i owned a maven
thoughts
I have The Spectra 6X 1.5-9x44 and I think it’s fantastic. Extremely bright optics. I would rate it above my Z3 3-10 BRH’s.
I also bought a Spectra 7.5x50i from Bobby Tomek, here on the Campfire. I haven’t mounted it yet but am of the opinion it will work very well for me, based on my impressions.
Posted By: 007FJ Re: Gpo German precision optics - 03/24/24
Thanks Drano. I’ll scope it out!

I know but I couldn’t resist.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Gpo German precision optics - 03/24/24
I have a pair of 8x32 ED and a pair of 10x42 HD binos and they're both great. I've compared the HD's against other brands at hunting camps and they are as good or better than other brands costing much more. I think they're a great value!

I can't speak to their rifle scopes or other products but I wouldn't hesitate to buy based on what I've experienced with the binos. I remember Doug posted a write up on them back when they first came out. I remember the CEO or president came from Zeiss. So he knows what level of quality Zeiss components are made to. If the components in the GPO products are made to the same level of quality, then it doesn't matter where they're made.

People on this forum always seem to be looking for some negative twist so I'm not surprised that some don't like the name.
Here is a review of the 1.5-9x44. The guy is a little wacky but he does some pretty extreme testing.

Posted By: 007FJ Re: Gpo German precision optics - 03/26/24
Cyclops does honest, quick and down and dirty reviews. That said....

If you want the gospel with details, you have to go to Koshkin (Dark Lord Optics). There are others that are good, however I've been reading Ila's reviews on optics for over 20 years (Optics Talk back then was really active). He has never led me astray.
Agreed.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I have The Spectra 6X 1.5-9x44 and I think it’s fantastic. Extremely bright optics. I would rate it above my Z3 3-10 BRH’s.
I also bought a Spectra 7.5x50i from Bobby Tomek, here on the Campfire. I haven’t mounted it yet but am of the opinion it will work very well for me, based on my impressions.

I've used the 7.5x50i spectra on 1 deer, but broad daylight @ 65 yards didn't provide the greatest test of lowlight capability. I didn't even turn on the red dot.

That 1.5-9x44 would check a lot of boxes for what I do. I recently bought a Meopta R2 1.7-10 to do basically the same function, & gave a fair bit more fund$ for it. While I'm very well pleased with the Meopta, 'twould be interesting to see how the GPO spectra stacked-up 'gainst it.

FC
© 24hourcampfire