Home
Posted By: Ngrumba Cabon Fiber Scope Mounts - 04/12/24
Why doesn’t anyone make carbon Fiber Scope Mounts? Seems like with Carbon stocks & barrels ir would be the next evolution in saving weight.
https://blackcollararms.com/product/forged-carbon-fiber-one-piece-scope-mounts/
Diminishing returns?

As parts get smaller and their shapes more intricate, it gets tougher to make them from carbon fiber. The rigidity for weight advantage also goes down because the fibers are shorter. That mount ndbowhunter linked is only 7 grams lighter than a Scalarworks LEAP, for example, and the claim that it is more rigid and secure is pretty dubious especially with those fasteners hanging out all over the place.

Their cantilever mount is a little better weight-wise but still not much.
I would think that the easiest way would be to mill them out of a solid carbon block and then seal them. The main advantage wouldn't probably me weight savings as much as it would be resistance to temperature changes. Given the expense that it would take, the return over what is already out there would probably be minimal.
As mentioned above by stickfight, Dont mess with small carbon fiber parts. Its benefit diminishes.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Cabon Fiber Scope Mounts - 04/16/24
I'd think you're going to have to have some metal in there for the fasteners. At that point the weakness of the system will be fastener alignment/precision and integrity of the bonding agent keeping them in place. Also, if you have any alignment issues w/the receiver you're probably not lapping carbon-fiber, though you could mitigate that w/live centers like Burris Signature inserts.
Posted By: shinbone Re: Cabon Fiber Scope Mounts - 04/18/24
$400! Ouch!
© 24hourcampfire