Home
Guys:

Thanks to our association with Doug and the guys at Camera Land, here is a sneak peek at the highly anticipated Leica Ultravid HD line, expected to be released at the end of 2007.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

AQUADURA COATING
And the price difference is...?
I'm scared to ask the price.......
The pricing is not available at this point, however, I am thinking less than a 10% increase over current pricing
Ahh, what's 2 grand among friends, eh Doug.
Depending on the unit I would think give or take a couple/few hundred, yes.
There is alawys the option of our Current Summer Certified Pre-Owned sale:

"Leica Certified Pre-Owned" Sport Optics
Here is a list of Leica Binoculars & Spotting Scopes that come with a Leica Certified Pre-Owned 10 year warranty. The Geovids have a 1 year warranty, the LRF's and CRF's have a 90 Day Warranty

Duovid - Cert. Pre-Owned
#40400 8+12x42 $1599.99

Ultravid - Cert. Pre-Owned
#40252 8x20 BCR Black $479.99
#40256 8x20 BCL Black Leather $479.99
#40253 10x25 BCR Black $549.99
#40257 10x25 BCL Black Leather $499.99
#40258 8x32 BR $1249.99
#40259 10x32 BR $1299.99
#40260 7x42 BR Black $1399.99
#40265 7x42 BR Green $1399.99
#40261 8x42 BR Black $1449.99
#40266 8x42 BR Green $1449.99
#40262 10x42 BR Black $1499.99
#40272 10x42 BL Black Leather $1599.99
#40280 8x50 BR Green $1499.99
#40275 8x50 BR Black $1499.99
#40276 10x50 BR Black $1599.99
#40281 10x50 BR Green $1599.99
#40277 12x50 BR Black $1799.99
The scopes man what about the scopes???????????
To be off topic a little...is there any scoop on Lieca's new riflescopes??
Sorry....Spotting Scopes?

Televid Spotting Scopes - Cert. Pre-Owned
#40108 62 Straight $799.99
#40109 62 Angled $899.99
#40106 APO-62 Straight $1199.99
#40107 APO-62 Angled $1349.99
#40114 APO-Televid 62 Rubber Armored $1474.99
#40103 77 Straight $1099.99
#40101 Televid 77 Angled $1279.99
#40104 APO-77 Straight $1549.99
#40102 APO-77 Angled $1449.99

Televid Zoom Eyepieces
#41012 Vario-Ocular B 20-60/16-48x New $599.99 or Cert. Pre-Owned $499.99 ($449.99 when purchased with a Spotting Scope)
#41003 Ocular B 40x/32x Cert. Pre-Owned older version without pin lock $149.99
#41004 Ocular B 32x WW/ 26x WW Cert. Pre-Owned older version without pin lock $149.99
As soon as there is an official answer to that inquiry 24hourcampfire members will be able to read it here first
look like the same thing with HD glass? dont see any other differences?
I think I'll be holding onto my Ultravids for awhile longer! Now, if Leica would come out with one in 15x60.... I'd be tempted to break out the checkbook.
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Now, if Leica would come out with one in 15x60.... I'd be tempted to break out the checkbook.

Seconded!!
Now, if Leica would come out with one in 15x60.... I'd be tempted to break out the checkbook.

They do have the 15x56 Geovids
Sako, they have fluoride glass, hydrophobic lens coatings, redesigned focus mechanism and the lens coatings are tweaked (3% brighter).
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

Yes, but I'd still prefer a 15x60 Ultravid. The Geovid warranty keeps my checkbook tightly closed!

Another feature that Leica needs to update/change..... a decent tripod adapter.
The only "upgrade" I'm interested in would involve a 7x32 Ultravid...
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

Yes, but I'd still prefer a 15x60 Ultravid. The Geovid warranty keeps my checkbook tightly closed!

Another feature that Leica needs to update/change..... a decent tripod adapter.

I agree 100% with FOS on both items, make that all 3 actually.
I can see my Leica trinovid 10x50's going up forsale to get the 8x50's...looking forward to seeing what the new 8x50's are worth.
sounds like some great improvements but i still question the "need" for FL glass in a hunting binocular of 7x, 8x, or 10x?
When looking for big game, rarely will chromatic abberations be present in the color scenarios I typically look at it.

What else does FL glass bring?

Sako75,

Fluorite is for correction chromatic aberration, I don't recall ever reading about any other virtues.

jim
Fluoride lenses
"With the help of new fluoride (FL) glass, in Leica HD models the color fidelity and contrast of images is further improved. Optical FL lenses are to a large part made up of calcium fluoride, a mineral with a crystalline structure. Unlike conventional optical lenses, this creates a very low level of dispersion (light scattering) and corrects aberration (imaging errors) significantly better. So as a result, the viewing experience is more natural and impressive than it has ever been before." http://www.leica-camera.us/nature_observation/ultravid_binoculars/ultravid_hd_range/

The new HD binoculars only come with a 1-year warranty?
Lifetime Passport Warranty
Leica should indeed offer a 7X32 Ultravid. THAT would be a useful item - more so than the 10X32s are in my opinion.

Other than that, if I made it habit to trade-in binoculars every time some top manufacturer, in this case Leica, decided to upgrade with some new lens coating and then add a slightly new product name to that sort of effort, I'd nickle & dime myself to death on such transactions every year, especially considering the declining value of the Dollar versus the Euro.

I'm thinking I'll stick with my current Ultravids for the forseeable future.

I know guys who have used the same old Leitz Trinovids and Zeiss Classics around the world for hunting for the last 30 + years, and they don't seem to have suffered too much for the use of such progrssively obsolete, but still excellent, optical technology, so I don't think I'm going to be in a rush to upgrade this time around, either.

It's time to break a bad habit........ wink

AD
Me too. 7X32 Ultravid. E
Yep, I'd buy them tomorrow. Why can't anyone see the light on the 7x32 size?
Personally, I'd like to see a 6x32 offered...... but I could live with a 7x32!
"Just got off the phone with one of the Leica USA reps, concerning my query regarding the "pending obsolescence" of my year old Ultravids. He said, apart from easy clean coatings and improvements to the focus drive I would not likely experience any improvements in "clarity and overall optical performance" when comparing the existing Ultavids with the new HDs.

If true, this should be welcome news to those of us who plunked down a lot of dollars in the past year or so.

Also, there are no plans at the moment to reissue the Duovid line with HD glass." - got this off another forum
Why the popularity of a 7x binocular? I'm curious.
Must say, I don't care for the use of "plastic" in their focusing mechanism. Knowing Leica, though, I'm sure there up to snuff.
From my understanding the 7x generally offers incredible field of view.
My 4 year old clearance Leica 8x30s are better than i need and certainly deserve.

Anybody have a suggestion for a high powered bino for antelope/deer/cyote on the plains and high parks? I read Rick's article and got the bug. My Nikon and really old Redfield spotters and all of their required accessories usually sit out the season in the case on the back seat. A high powered bino makes more sense.

Thanks.
We are currently offering the Minox 15x58's that was reviewed on the homepage @ $749.99. You might want to consider it
I'll check them out while at my part time job at Sportsman's Warehouse tomorrow and I'll recheck your site later this evening. I may end up back with the Leica and Swaro bunch.

Thanks.
Originally Posted by taz4570
Anybody have a suggestion for a high powered bino for antelope/deer/cyote on the plains and high parks?
Thanks.

Your 4 year old clearance Leica 8x30's......... wink

Casey
They are always around my neck. I'm looking for something to use when glassing from the truck or higher ground.
Agree with the guys who suggest 6x or 7x 32's.
Those powers are just so right for my hunting. Much easier to use than 8x or higher powers.
I'm not opposed to higher powered binox at all, for use where that extra power is useful. In fact, for birding here in Michigan, 8x's and above might serve well. But, for woods hunting, and in swamps, 6x or 7x is the only route to go, by a very wide margin, not a slim marigin at all.

Don
So when can we buy these new Ultravids?
They should be available by the end of the year
Thanks, Doug.
anyone looked at the eyerelief spec on these across the board?? its pretty sucky if you ask me, 16mm doesn't really cut it for me, 18mm is about the minimum I can deal with,
I'm still scuffling along with an almost 10-year old Leica Trinovid 10X42. Glass is clear, binocular is rugged, and I'm still enjoying hunkering down behind them while looking for western game. Am I really missing anything by not having an Ultravid or the soon to be released Ultravid HD?

Jim
After hunting this weekend with Swarovski SLC's, I really dont know what "HD" could add in any brand... The human eye can only resolve so much detail at any given distance
Originally Posted by AZJR
I'm still scuffling along with an almost 10-year old Leica Trinovid 10X42. Glass is clear, binocular is rugged, and I'm still enjoying hunkering down behind them while looking for western game. Am I really missing anything by not having an Ultravid or the soon to be released Ultravid HD?

Jim

I've got the same pair you do, and wonder the same thing you do! How much can really be improved?
Earlier this year I thought the same thing...had a pair of 10x42 Trinivids and wanted to be sure they were helping me see what I needed to see..

After looking at the Swaro EL's and the Ultravids, I concluded that my Trini's were just fine...did not need to spend 2k on other glasses...when mine give up the ghost I will get some others...
10x42 or bust
DOug will you be offering a pre-owned version sometime in the future?
With all my pull I received one 10x42 HD in this morning. It's the first HD that has entered the store. With the massive amounts of backorders and slow allocation of this product I think it will be some time before Cert Pre-Owned are available.
WELLLLLLL HOW DOES IT LOOOK????
But here is the $64,0000 question. DO THEY COME WITH LENS COVERS???????????????
They come with an ocular rainguard and drop down objective caps
Another vote for a 7 X 32, thou a 6 X 32 would work.
I have been using Dougs Minox 6.5x32IF's for the last few years here in the woods of the northeast and they're just what's needed for this type of hunting. Several pairs were bought by friends and we're all impressed. I've seen them elsewhere for almost $400, I think Doug still has a few pair left at $200 or less. I was using my Zeiss 6x42 before this and the Minox are half the size and just as good for practical hunting.
$179.99 to be precise. I think we have 3 or 4 left
Doug, are there drop down objective covers available for Trinivid 10x50's? Mine came with the ocular raingaurd you are speaking of but no objective covers. The raingaurd is very easy to lose if not only used while they are in the leather case. I use the bino system shoulder harness. Where we hunt its very dusty most of the time and the objective are constanly covered in dirt if not kept in the case. I have always been told I was out of luck for objective covers? Thanks.
You can use the Ultravid x 50 covers which run $39.99 a set
Doug,

I sent you an email. Thanks.
© 24hourcampfire