Home
Posted By: andrews1958 Bench and varmint scope - 08/31/07
I am having a 223 Remington bolt action built and can not decide what size scope to put on it. I will use it mostly at the range for 100 yard bench shooting most of the time and for varmint hunting the rest. I like a scope high magnification so I can really see where my shots are going at the bench. Most of my varmint hunting is never over 200 yards.Any sugestions? I am thinking of a leopold in a 8x24 range
Posted By: drover Re: Bench and varmint scope - 08/31/07
A Leupold 6.5x20x40mm should serve you just fine. I have a half-dozen of them and use them for basically the same purpose that you describe. Unless you are planning to shoot competition 20 power is more than adequate.
Posted By: chazgreen Re: Bench and varmint scope - 08/31/07
ANDREWS1958/ I put a Burris signiture 8-32 on my custom .233 and it is a nice scope with fine cross hair. I put a Bushnell 4200 8-32 on my 6BR and feel that it is quite superior to the Burris. Cross hair is not quite as fine, but that is OK; big difference is the brighter & more crisp image with the 4200. Compare $$ with the Leupold suggested by drover & I think the choice is easy...Bushnell gives you a whole lot of scope. Hope this helps/ Chaz
Posted By: drover Re: Bench and varmint scope - 08/31/07
Yep, I have to agree - both the Bushnell 3200 and 4200 series scopes are good values for the dollars. The 4200 in particular has great optics, the 3200 is basically equivilant to the Leupold VX-ll and the 4200 is at least equivialant to the VX-lll Leupolds.
Posted By: DMB Re: Bench and varmint scope - 08/31/07
I use Leupold's 6.5-20x for most of my target shooting, and for all of my long range varmint hunting.

Don
Posted By: Tekni Re: Bench and varmint scope - 09/01/07
If you want to save some money, check these out.

http://www.natchezss.com/category.c...Group=&brand=BH&prodID=BH888244M

Personally, I would consider the 5x15 more than adequate for 200 yards and under.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Bench and varmint scope - 09/01/07

I like something in the 4X16 range with crisp optics.....
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Bench and varmint scope - 09/01/07
Originally Posted by andrews1958
I am having a 223 Remington bolt action built and can not decide what size scope to put on it. I will use it mostly at the range for 100 yard bench shooting most of the time and for varmint hunting the rest. I like a scope high magnification so I can really see where my shots are going at the bench. Most of my varmint hunting is never over 200 yards.Any sugestions? I am thinking of a leopold in a 8x24 range

The sightron 6-24x50.Actually pretty nice for the money.
I have run this side by side with my lupie 6-20x50 LRT and cant see why the lupie costs more.It not any better.
[Linked Image]
dave
© 24hourcampfire