Home
Posted By: RAS Realist Scopes Inc (w pics) - 09/10/07
All:

I posted this before w/o much response therefore I added some pictures in case my description was off. I have a NIB Realist Riflescope in 6x w/ the leatherwood auto range option that was made in the 60's. This company was from Menomonee Falls, WI. Does anyone know of the quality of these scopes?? NIB value?? The price of this scope back then is listed in one of the pictures. The optics are really nice. This scope's bases are for a Model 70 and the range option for a 30-06 w/ 150 gr bullets. Thanks....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/sierpienja/100_3755.jpg[/img]
Posted By: sbhva Re: Realist Scopes Inc (w pics) - 09/11/07
I believe that "Realist" was a brand name of the David White Camera Company of Milwaukee. Their "claim to fame" was a 3D film camera back in the 50's.

They seem to still be in business: http://www.davidwhite.com/About/About.html
Here's the quote from Nick Stroebel's book,"Old Rifle Scopes","Starting in 1965, Realist Inc., Menomomie Wis., imported a quality line of hunting telescopic sights. All feature constantly centered reticles, nitrogen-filled alloy tubes,and the choice of crosswire,post and crosswire or dot reticles. Sun shades were available for $6.95 extra. In 1968, after reaching an agreement with its designer, Jim Leatherwood, Realist introduced the first American-made ART(Auto Ranging Telescope). Realist scopes are last cataloged in the 1974 Gun Digest." The Auto/Range and Camputor 6x scope (1968-1974) Value is listed at $175.00 - $275.00 with special mount and range cam; deduct $45.00 for no mount, deduct $45.00 for no cam. This book was published in 2000.
Your scope looks to be in beautiful shape & with the box, mounts, cam & brochures, it'll bring more than stated above. Being a relatively rare scope,I would hold on to this one if I were you.
Posted By: RAS Re: Realist Scopes Inc (w pics) - 09/13/07
Originally Posted by 3dtestify
Here's the quote from Nick Stroebel's book,"Old Rifle Scopes","Starting in 1965, Realist Inc., Menomomie Wis., imported a quality line of hunting telescopic sights. All feature constantly centered reticles, nitrogen-filled alloy tubes,and the choice of crosswire,post and crosswire or dot reticles. Sun shades were available for $6.95 extra. In 1968, after reaching an agreement with its designer, Jim Leatherwood, Realist introduced the first American-made ART(Auto Ranging Telescope). Realist scopes are last cataloged in the 1974 Gun Digest." The Auto/Range and Camputor 6x scope (1968-1974) Value is listed at $175.00 - $275.00 with special mount and range cam; deduct $45.00 for no mount, deduct $45.00 for no cam. This book was published in 2000.
Your scope looks to be in beautiful shape & with the box, mounts, cam & brochures, it'll bring more than stated above. Being a relatively rare scope,I would hold on to this one if I were you.

Thanks a million!!!
RAS, your N.I.B. Realist ART Camputer 6x now valued in Nick Streobel's new book at $475.00.
© 24hourcampfire