Home
I just bought an old Sako with an old Bushnell Scopechief IV 3 to 9X. I've never seen one like it before. It has a post that will pop up by turning a knob.(to go with the crosshairs) Kind of trick!

Does anyone have any experience with this model scope? Is this a decent old scope? It is in great shape. Thanks
They were a very good scope, if I recall correctly the flip up post was called a "command post". The only complaint I have heard/read about them are reports that if the scope is left with the sun shining directly into the objective the "command-post" will melt. This is purely second hand info on the post problem, I have seen quite a few of the scopes I have never seen this problem myself.

I have one, it was my Dad's.I really like the feature but unfortunately my scope needs service and Bushnell won't repair it anymore. They say they don't have the parts for them.
Just dug out my copy of "Old Rifle Scopes", by Nick Stroebel, published by Krause Publications, Copyright 2000. Found it on page 50. Gives years of production as 1968-1970. There's also a small reprint of a 1960's Bushnell "Command Post" reticle advertisement which claims to give "2 reticles in 1 scope".
"Permanent crosshairs for well lighted long-range shots" or "Convertible Command Post for woodland hunting...and poorly lighted dawn and dusk shots".
The ad also states that there is a 30 day trial exchange privilege and a 20 year guarantee. Which would explain why you can't get service on them anymore. But I'll admit that it sounds like a good idea. Wonder why it never got popular? I don't recall ever seeing one.
Was this scope made in the USA? Can't find anything on it that says where it was made.

I went out and shot the rifle today and the scope worked well. It's clear and seemed to track well. Think I will leave it on there for a while and give it a good tryout.

Thanks for the replies.
© 24hourcampfire