Home
I am sure this has been asked before, but what is the difference between the old K series scopes that are marked "El Paso" vs "Made in the USA"?? Is it just location or is there a quality issue? Also I am considering a K6 for an older rifle. Any advice on this model in particular?. I have a K4 and its funtion and appearance have been a source of enjoyment. I think the Weaver finish is a perfect match for the vintage rifles. Were there any other scopes that used the real "blue" finish. The vintage Leupolds function great but that purple color is way ugly. Thanks in advance- RP
I've got a buddy who is hunting fool. Saves money on rifles by doing alot of his own work and buys old Weavers and Leupolds for his scopes. He goes hunting all over the world, Africa, New Zealand, etc.
Showed me a picture he took of an african lessor cat he shot with an old El Paso Weaver K-6. Took him at night.
Very reliable scopes among those in the know. Not as pricey as the oldeset Leupolds. If you can do w/o the fancier reticles, they odviously work fine. E
The only lower grade Weaver scopes were those marked "Marksman," I believe.

There were lots of variations within a K-number, usually marked after the power, K4 60B, K4 C-3, etc. Different markings indicate an improvement of some sort, which then makes the older one "lower quality."

I think they were all made in El Paso, but maybe they had export in mind when the ones marked USA were made.

There was an aluminum body Weaver scope made in El Paso for a few years, called the Classic. It was a higher grade scope than the steel ones. It is not the same as the modern Weaver Classic series.

Bruce
I have 4 old steel tubed Weavers. Two have finger adjustable knobs,one is marked El Paso and one is marked USA. Of the other two,one is marked USA and has coin slot adjustments,the other is in El Paso being rebuilt and I don't remember how it's marked or set up. Other than the markings and adjustment differences they seem the same.
One of the scopes marked USA is a K6-F with finger adjustments and El Paso doesn't have the parts to fix it. Darn nice scope too!
As far as other scopes being similar,I believe the early Bushnell scopes were being made in Japan to Weaver specs at the same time Weaver was in El Paso. Saw one years back and it was steel tubed. Hope this helps.

til later
Thanks for the responses. I will check in later to see if anyone else weighs in. RP
If you can tell me the exact markings on the scope, I could probably give you a bit of info about coatings, etc.

If you want the best El Paso scopes, they are the "-1" series, as in K4-1 (they were the last model made here). They had steel tubes, coated lenses, often Dual-X reticles, and the nice kicker is they were MicroTrac adjustments.

Some of these were also marked "-W" as in K4-W. This means they are a widefield version with the rectangle eyepiece. They are great also though I don't think that it is possible (theoretically) to seal them up as tight against water damage.
DakotaDeer,I've got a K4-1 that I had Frank Ruiz tuneup for me. It really is a great scope,but I've always wondered why some of the steel Weaver scopes had finger adjustable w/e and some didn't. Well now that you mentioned MicroTrac I went checked and my K4-1 is the only one with slot adjustable w/e and it's the only MicroTrac I have. Maybe with the new MicroTrac design the finger adjustments weren't compatible? Also mine has the post and crosshair reticle.

til later

Wanted to mention that I've got a K6-F that Frank doesn't have the parts to fix it. Has a lose front lense and retainers aren't available. If anyone could use it for parts your welcome to it. Unmarred body or dust caps.
Yeah, the Micro Trac adjustments are coin-slotted. I just had one of mine out on Saturday on a .22. It dialed right in perfectly, so much better than most scopes that tend to "drift" their way into adjustment.

BTW, the current Sightron ExactTrac system appears to be the same exact setup as Micro Trac.
Thanks for the info!! I REALLY like Sigtrons and even though I only have one(got enough scopes)I've talked friends into them and none have been disappointed. I don't think people realize how long they've been around. There still in the REAL SLEEPER catagory and that's a shame.

til later

Oh,by the way guys,my old K6-F is headed to Utah.
Another coupla things about old Weavers:

the Weaver CHALLENGER line was at the end of the US run, and was actually cheaper japanese and chinese optics, so be well aware when looking at these.

the value of this scope should run about $80. I sold one on this board at that price about a month ago, but they do seem to be jumping up as of late.

I have mostly Old "El Paso" weavers, along with a new Luepy Rifleman 2-7x, and old M*-4x, a 20 yr. old Leupold MKIII, an old external adjustment B&L Balvar from the 60's, and two current production Weavers while this might draw fire, the El Paso weavers are better than much of the "junk glass" out there right now, worth about what you are paying optically, but once you get above about $100 or so in asking price, you are better off to buy either a current production Weaver or a used Leupy M8-4x. Some of the Weavers, though very good in thier day and a fine choice for a vintage rifle setup, just lack the advances in technology common now but not even available in thier time and thus, some, especially the very early K-series, seem downright crude in comparison to modern glass.

Just my expereince
The older AMERICAN made scopes aren't better than the new stuff,that can't be denied,although I find dimension wise the older ones are more forgiving for mounting. What amazes me most about them is that there are so many out there still functioning! I've sent 2 Weavers to F.Ruiz for tune-ups,as I call it,but they were functioning and I have a 2 3/4x Denver Redfield that just won't quit. Plus I read on the web about others still using the old ones and hunters I know locally are still using them. Hope the new ones carry on this reputation.

til later
Originally Posted by iambrb
Another coupla things about old Weavers:

the Weaver CHALLENGER line was at the end of the US run, and was actually cheaper japanese and chinese optics, so be well aware when looking at these.

the value of this scope should run about $80. I sold one on this board at that price about a month ago, but they do seem to be jumping up as of late.

I have mostly Old "El Paso" weavers, along with a new Luepy Rifleman 2-7x, and old M*-4x, a 20 yr. old Leupold MKIII, an old external adjustment B&L Balvar from the 60's, and two current production Weavers while this might draw fire, the El Paso weavers are better than much of the "junk glass" out there right now, worth about what you are paying optically, but once you get above about $100 or so in asking price, you are better off to buy either a current production Weaver or a used Leupy M8-4x. Some of the Weavers, though very good in thier day and a fine choice for a vintage rifle setup, just lack the advances in technology common now but not even available in thier time and thus, some, especially the very early K-series, seem downright crude in comparison to modern glass.

Just my expereince

I'm a huge El Paso Weaver fan, and tend to agree 100%, except for the price differential. I'd go $150, depending on series, reticle, and condition, on an El Paso Weaver, before I thought that the "new stuff" had the edge. Even then, I'd go Leupold M8 or better before I'd pass up the El Paso.
VA,I've got a V7-B in El Paso now being redone for a whopping $63 w/s+h. What can you tell me about this scope? I got it for free years ago and never used it as the ocular end was bent and I didn't trust it not to fog up. I know it's got GREAT eye relief at all powers. Should get it back in May sometime.

til later
The older Weaver "Classic" scopes (300,400.600,V700,V900)from the ealy '70's seem like great scopes.

I have seen a 300 and own a 400. I have the 400 on an old savage 340 and can tell you that it appears brighter than my Leupold Varix-II from the '80's.
They are aluminum with a gloss finish. One of the nicest finishes I've seen. The writer Bob Bell stated in one of his books says that the folks in the El Paso factory called the Classics the "$1,000" scopes. Apparently there was not a lot of profit in them.
I have the original box from my 400 that I bought on Ebay. Cabela's sales sticker says $46.79.

The old Classic series are great scopes if you can find one. I regret letting that 300 get away from me.

Dan
Over a half century ago, when I was a teenage, and hunting Grizzly in the Bob Marshall was just a matter of buying a tag and going out, the only scopes we saw there were older guys with failing vision, and then it was only Weaver 2.5 or 3 or the Lyman Alaskans.

My, how times and equipment have changed, and some of it is even better. wink

Wayne
Sorry for the belated response but the exact markings are as follows: K6 C3 Made in USA Is that enough info to get any more details on this scope? RP
I saw an El Paso 3X recently for sale;I was told they are not waterproof. Anywhere to send them for a reticle change, or waterproofing?
http://www.weaver-scope-repair.com/
I would call Weaver Scope Repair Service before buying a scope to make sure they have parts to fix that model!

til later
Skidrow: Thanks for that. smile
Really enjoying this thread .....
Makes me think of the late and great 'Slim Pickins' ...

I have and use a WEAVER K2.5 60, El Paso Tex. USA Pat'D
Blued steel, and plain cross hairs.

It's on a Cooey M60 with Weaver rings and base.

Any additional info concerning the age of this fine scope would be appreciated .....
Originally Posted by bcp

There were lots of variations within a K-number, usually marked after the power, K4 60B, K4 C-3, etc. Different markings indicate an improvement of some sort, which then makes the older one "lower quality."

I think they were all made in El Paso, but maybe they had export in mind when the ones marked USA were made.

There was an aluminum body Weaver scope made in El Paso for a few years, called the Classic. It was a higher grade scope than the steel ones. It is not the same as the modern Weaver Classic series.

Bruce

The old aluminum Weaver Classics are excellent scopes and I would select one over an old steel Weaver any day. I owned a used 400 (4x) and wished I had bought a used 300 (3x) when I had the chance. Their lenses were excellent. The regular steel Weavers that I have owned were still rugged but my aging eyes are not helped much by the aging glass in those old Weavers.

I also think that the new Weaver Classics are a solid scope and a fantastic value for the money. I put a new K6 on a rifle last year and have been impressed with it for the money. My only complaint with the new Weavers is the finish. Just don't care for it.

Dan

Originally Posted by Dantheman
Originally Posted by bcp

Bruce

The old aluminum Weaver Classics are excellent scopes and I would select one over an old steel Weaver any day. I owned a used 400 (4x) and wished I had bought a used 300 (3x) when I had the chance. Their lenses were excellent. The regular steel Weavers that I have owned were still rugged but my aging eyes are not helped much by the aging glass in those old Weavers.

I also think that the new Weaver Classics are a solid scope and a fantastic value for the money. I put a new K6 on a rifle last year and have been impressed with it for the money. My only complaint with the new Weavers is the finish. Just don't care for it.

Dan

Yeah.........they discontinued all gloss options. My biggest complaint is they went to a 38mm objective on the k4. Wish they'd kept it @ 32mm
© 24hourcampfire