Home
Posted By: VAnimrod One set of bins, or two? - 04/03/08
If you had to pick....

Would you go with one set of top quality binos in something like an 8x42 Ultravid?

Or, would you go more to something like a 6.5x-7x30-32ish small bino and a larger set, say 10x-12x50-56ish in the pack?

Why?
Posted By: Daveh Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/03/08
Just two??????

Back to the question. "IF" I had to pick I would have one set of 8x42's. Buy the best you can.

Dave
Posted By: Daveh Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/03/08
Forgot why..

After owning 6-8 premium bin's it is easily apparent that a fellow could get by with ONE good set.

YMMV
Posted By: Eremicus Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/03/08
If I were limited as to funds, I'd go with two. That's because I can get virtually the same image quality for less money and something every bit a rugged.
They'd be a Meopta 8X42 because it is heavier than the Pentax DCF ED and probably the 6X30 Leupold Yosemite, or the 6X30 Katami. If I were to add a third, assuming I had the above, I'd probably go with a 12X50 DCF ED Pentax.
If I insisted on a 10X as the top binocular, it would probably be a Pentax DCF ED 10X50. The other would be one of the above 6X30's.
The big advantage to the 6X binoculars is their light weight w/o significant image shake. They apparently excel in close cover scanning. The heavy 8X42 is simply the best compromise as a jack of all trades. It's only real drawback is it's weight. Pretty hard on the user if you insist on something close around your neck. E
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/03/08
E;

Thanks for the comments.

The binos in particular, are a single set of 7x42 or 8x42 Ultravids. Or, something like the 6x30 Yosemites and a set of 10x50 Ultravids, 10x52 Minox HGs, or 13x56 Minox....
I wouldn't buy anything in the 12-13X range until I had and had used the basic 7-8X42 for a while. The big 12's, and presumably the 13X binoculars, really can show you things that you can't see with the lesser binoculars. But... they are highly specialized. You either drag a tripod around with you or you have to put up with some eye strain from the image shake. They can't be used from standing to any degree. In order to really show you much, the subject would have to be literally 3 plus miles out.
I wouldn't do a 10X50 as any kind of primary either. You really do need an 8X for that in my book. I suggest you try out some 10X50's from Doug. And some of the 7-8X42's. Unfortunately, the last heard, he doesn't sell the 8X42 Meopta. Midway does. I don't know if they will let you buy one and return it just becasue you weren't completely satisfied. I think they will, but I'm not sure. You might check with them.
BTW, you might keep your eye peeled for a Leica BN on sale in 7-8X42. Somebody might have them somewhere at a steal. E
Posted By: Tom264 Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/03/08
When I'm hunting out west I have my 8x32EL's wrapped around my neck and my 15x56's in my backpack.
If/when I spot something with my 8's and need a better/closer look I then grab my 15's outta my pack, set up the tripo and have a look see.
Seems to work very well for me.
Posted By: kutenay Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/03/08
I would and do prefer to use a single high quality bino and also a high quality spotter, rather than a very high power bino.

I currently have a Zeiss 8x30 B/GAF Nato glass and a compact Leupy 25x armoured spotter, which have done yeoman service for many moons. I have "replaced" these with a Leica 10x42BN and a Leica 62 16-48 armoured spotter and this combo works very well for me.

I intend on getting a Leica UV 7x42 in due course, mostly for deer/Elk hunting in the lower half of B.C., where ambient conditions make such a glass far superior to my higher power ones.

I can see why some would use a high power bino, but, for my needs, it is not as practical as what I now have, so, in this situation, my choice would be the 8x42 Leica UV.
The higher powered binoculars are specialized, like I said. Their big advantage over a spotting scope is that you can glass with them. Spoting scopes work fine for getting a better look at something you've already seen. But for finding something you can't see at all, nothing beats a binocular.
The other thing I'd point out is that the 12X class don't really come into their own until the range opens up to the 2 miles plus range. That's not to say you can't use them like a spotting scope closer in, but their real advantage, like any binocular, is to help you find something you haven't already seen. E
Posted By: Brad Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/03/08
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
If you had to pick....

Would you go with one set of top quality binos in something like an 8x42 Ultravid?

Or, would you go more to something like a 6.5x-7x30-32ish small bino and a larger set, say 10x-12x50-56ish in the pack?

Why?

VA, for me the answer for over twenty years has been ONE quality pair of 8x30/32's... right now that means an 8x32 Ultravid. I've never found the need for more or less in a bin and if I REALLY want to see something on the micro level I pull out the spotter.
I'll just add that second binocular in the 6X range can be had w/o much more expense. I'm really impressed with the little 6X30 Leupold Yosemite. All for $80. What's another $80 bucks when you are spending $1200-$1600. E
Posted By: Brad Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/03/08
Gotta agree E, the 6x30 Yosemite is veddy impressive for the coin.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/03/08
If you had to pick....

Why?

What are you hunting?

If you had to pick....

Why?

The latter.

The smaller and lighter pair for carrying around my neck, and the heavier pair I'd let the pickup carry most of the time.......

Casey
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/03/08
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
If you had to pick....

Why?

What are you hunting?

Eventually? Everything.

Right now, anything I can find in the Southeast.....
Sean...

I can live happy with just my 10X Ziess.

At least until they fog or break.....grins.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/03/08
I take a spare pair of binocs on the trip, but leave them in camp. Only one pair while I am hunting.
As a rule, I hunt with one binocular, either an 8X32 or a much heavier 8X42. However, if I know I'm going to be working close cover much or I'm glassing at really long ranges much, then, in addition to one of my 8X binos, I'll pack either a 6X30 for close cover work, or my 12X50 for the really wide open stuff. E
I carry one pair. 10+15x50 Leica Duovids.
Posted By: avagadro Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/04/08
VA ... I have three, started with 10x40 Classics, added the 7x42 Classics and then added the 6.5x Minox IF's (for archery, if that ever happens again).

In all honesty, I could sell the 6.5x and 10x and live happily ever after with the 7x42's, they are all I ever use now. Wifey loves the 10x Classics, and we loan out the Minox.

Good Luck!

BTW, good thread ... an optix thread which has no sticks being thrown! .... is there hope here yet?
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/04/08
Binos, avagadro..... binos......
Posted By: handwerk Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/04/08
One set would be leica ultravids 8x42.
But I have 2, so it's 10x42 ultravids amd 8x32 trinovids
Posted By: Eremicus Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/04/08
If I had a choice and money was no object, I'd buy a BN rather than a lighter Ultravid. I am very glad I bought a BN, instead of a Ultravid in the 12X50. E
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/04/08
If you had to pick....

Why?

What are you hunting?

Eventually? Everything.

Right now, anything I can find in the Southeast.....

ONE high quality pair of 7x30, 8x30 or 8x32. Zeiss, Swarovski or Leica. I wouldn't go 10x or a 40 or 42mm obj. You will never regret a 30 or 32mm objective east of the Mississippi.

End of the hunt. If you want to spend some more cash on a cheaper pair AFTER you get the high end ones, then get some of those Leupold's.

As you know, high end binos are money well spent. You can use these 365 days a year and will get tons of enjoyment out of them.

Oh yea, IMHO.

Posted By: Brad Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/04/08
You will never regret a 30 or 32mm objective east of the Mississippi.

You will never regret a 30 or 32mm objective WEST of the Mississippi either.

I've never wished to have a 40/42mm objective anytime, ever. I do like the 7x42 but still wouldn't trade-in the 8x32 for the extra weight and size to get its picture window view.

If I were going to schlep around a 42mm bin it'd be a 7x42.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/04/08
I have a Swaro 8x30 SLC that lives around my neck when I'm hunting. Love them. Not saying they are the best; but they sure do work for me. And they are about as big as I'm willing to hang around my neck.

I would like to add a "big" binocular when I can. From what I've looked through, it would probably be a Leica or Swaro.

But a compact, high-quality bino like the ones above, or the Leicas Brad talks about, are mandatory in my book. With those and a decent spotter I'm at least "in the game".

-jeff
Posted By: cfran Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/04/08
+1, can agree with that totally. If they made it however I'd own a Leica 7x35 and I'd never look further . . .
You should be able to find a Swaro 8x30 SLC for between $900.00 and $1,000 or one of those refurbished 8x32 Ultravids from Doug for a little more. I would be happy with either of those forever.

The Nikon Primier LXL has a great reputation as does the Nikon SE thought it isn't as water proof or durable.
Originally Posted by Brad
You will never regret a 30 or 32mm objective east of the Mississippi.

You will never regret a 30 or 32mm objective WEST of the Mississippi either.

I've never wished to have a 40/42mm objective anytime, ever. I do like the 7x42 but still wouldn't trade-in the 8x32 for the extra weight and size to get its picture window view.

If I were going to schlep around a 42mm bin it'd be a 7x42.

I wish Leica made an 8x32 Geovid....
Posted By: timmy0283 Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/04/08
Right now I own two sets of binos and don't believe I need any more at the moment. The two that I have are 8x32 Leica Ultravids and some 10x42 Swaro SLCs. Someday I will probably purchase some 15x56s but right now I'm happy with what I have.
Posted By: DJTex Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/04/08
I've been happy with Leica Ultravid 10x42's for years, but I'm straying a bit from my faithful companions with a pair of 7x42 Zeiss FL's that I couldn't pass when Natchez put them on silly cheap.

I thought the 7x42's would smoke the Leicas in low light, but they don't. They're brighter, but the dimmer view with greater magnification of the Leicas make it a horserace. Depends on distance and what kind of detail to determine what I like better.

I thought the Leica 10x42's would kill the Zeiss 7x42's in magnfication of detail at greater distance in good light. Not really the case - not nearly as much difference as I expected - I can see just about as much detail with the 7's.

Why? Image stability. I knew the 7's would shine, but I'm steady with the 10's and used to them, so I didn't expect much difference in actual use for me. Wrong again. The steady image of the 7's helps with detail at greater distance because stuff shakes less. This is a factor even when supported with both units - although I'm sure on a tripod the 10's would be better; however, I don't use my hunting binos on a tripod, ever.

I've learned a lot with these honest comparisons. There's a fair likelihood I'll let the Leicas go and get more magnification in Big Eyes or a spotter to complement the FL's. I think I'd need a significant step up in magnification from the 7's to see worthwhile improvement. The 10's aren't different enough to carry with the 7's IMO.

BTW - I believe the 7x42 FL's have that "it" factor described in the Campfire Review of the 8x42 FL's. The color, sharpness, brightness - truly spectacular.

DJ
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/04/08
If you had to pick....

Why?

Went through the very same dilemna here some months back and the end all be all for me was the 8x42 UV's. I got the 8x32's first and sent them back to Doug in exchange for the 8x42's, couldn't be happier. If I need more I always have my spotter.
Posted By: RickyD Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/04/08
I love my Swarovski 7x50's and Swarovski armored spotter. I also have an array of small bino's like IOR's, Weaver Grandslam 8.5x25's and 10.5x25's, and Bushnell Legends. If I'm hunting small local areas, I take a compact set and leave the Swaro's at home. If I head out west or where there is more country to cover, the Swaroski's go with. Works for me.
Posted By: NH Hunter Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/04/08

I live and hunt in New Hamphsire, but I travel the country for work and vacations. I spent the better part of a year stopping in at every store that sold binoculars for my 20 weeks on the road that year. For my dollar and my style of hunting, I went with an 8x30 Conquest and couldn't be happier. I use it extensively in NH and New England, but have been in the woods of northern Idaho and Northeast Washington State with them and haven't wanted any more magnification or, or anything for that matter, from my bins.

If I truly need to see something with much more magnification, I'll take out my spotter with a 25LER eyepiece and call it good.

Handle as many as you can, but if they're going to be sitting around your neck all the time, look hard at the 30/32's.

Mike.
Posted By: scoutman Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/04/08
E,

To counter the weight of the Meopta, couln't something be done with a wider bino strap to better distribute its weight.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/04/08
Originally Posted by Eremicus
If I had a choice and money was no object, I'd buy a BN rather than a lighter Ultravid. I am very glad I bought a BN, instead of a Ultravid in the 12X50. E

E-Curious, more robust?
Posted By: Tom264 Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/04/08
Originally Posted by scoutman
E,

To counter the weight of the Meopta, couln't something be done with a wider bino strap to better distribute its weight.

Bino buddies.........
Posted By: Eremicus Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/04/08
I used a much wider strap for many years. Didn't do much for me. Some like the bino harnesses. I don't. What works for me is carrying the heavy bino over my left hip, crossbody. Takes more movement and effort to get them to my eyes, but they ride very well there. If I had to choose, I'll take a heavier 8X42 with cross body carry than an 18-20 oz. 8X of any kind around my neck. Simply because they are much easier to see things with over a long day of binocular use.
Where I don't like the weight is when I'm moving very slowly through heavy cover. I'm always bending and twisting slowly around, or over things I need to step carefully on, or around. At the same time, I am always bringing my binocular up and trying to look throught the cover around me. For that, and to keep it under control, afterall you don't want it swinging away from you at a difficult momment, I much prefer it as close to my eyes as possible. This is where a light 6X30 binocular like the $80 Leupold Yosemite really shines. I don't care how good the optics are on an 18-20 oz. 8X32. The image shakes a good bit. That increases eye strain and robs me of the ability to see those fine details easily. All of this is greatly reduced with the light 6X30's.
When I break into the open country again, I simply swap the 6X30 for the heavier 8X32 or the still heavier 8X42. E
Posted By: RickBin Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/04/08
For me, hunting out west, I've settled on a standard-sized bino (choose your poison from any of the above) for all-around work, and a 15X on a tripod for specialized work.

The ideal kit for me actually includes two tripods: one very sturdy and too heavy to pack far, and that stays within, say, 1 mile or 1000 vertical feet of the truck, roughly. The second is much lighter and portable, not as steady, and would go in a backpack.

The more I hunt (particularly mule deer) with 15X on a tripod, the more I try to hunt with 15X on a tripod.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/04/08
Great minds think alike Rick. grin
Posted By: FrankD Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/04/08
are a single set of 7x42 or 8x42 Ultravids

I would, without question, pick up a pair of these over either a smaller or larger configuration (objecitve and magnification in this case).
Posted By: medic52 Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/04/08
The last two years I have been hunting with 10x42. This year I bought a new pair of Olympus Magellan EXWP-I 10x42. I have really been impressed with them the more I've used them the better I like them.......Their not the big three, but they are GOOD for the money....
Posted By: Razkul99 Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/05/08
I have "settled" for one pair of Leica 8-12x42 Leica Duovids and one pair of Minox 6.5x32 IFs. IMO, both were definitely worth the money I gave for them.
Posted By: ROE_DEER Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/05/08
If you had to pick....one set ..or two

From my point of view (o.k. opinion is steered/caused by my wide and vast hunting opportunities all over the world) I really can't understand when a serious hunter restricts himself to just one or just two sets of binos.

You don't use the same gun for open plains antelopes, small varmints, thick alder bears and upland game birds.
As well you do need different optics.

It depends on circumstances, terrain, kind of hunting, kind of animals, physical conditions
- and pocket money of course (which, in my book, is the only restriction).

I drive, since years, any manification/objective size combination that suit the specific need of the specific hunt
- 8x20 or 10x25 mono or duo for every day
- 8/10x30/32 for climbing in real heavy terrain
- 8/10x40/42 for all around use
- 7x42 for woods hunting
- 8/10/12x50/56/60 for heavy dusk/dawn/night use
- 12/13/15/20x56/60 binos with or without tripod
- lightweigt spotting scope in heavy terrain
- fullsize, highgrade big objective spotting scope
- cheap spotting scope for at the range (I hate to "share" excellent groups and my precious spotting scope with curious onlookers..)

Granted - 8 or more optical instruments per capita seems much - but please count the rifles in your safe (including the safe queens) and if you can't afford it now, you will have it later (I begun with a heavyweight 7x50 Porro)

YMMV but I would rather hunt with just one rifle and one shotgun (or one combination gun) instead of permanently missing the advantages of different but "spot on" optics.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/05/08
For me a pair of 15 year old 10X Leupie roof prisms has worked very well here in the wilds of Pennsyvania. If I were hunting out west or other areas that offer vast expances of real estate I might opt for something better.
Posted By: Razkul99 Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/05/08
Roe,

Quite an impressive collection of bins. While I think you have a valuable point regarding using the bin best suited for a particular application, I think the one set of bins or two was a condition dictated by the presence of a finite budget.

So if you had to reduce your inventory to one or two bins, which would stay?
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/05/08
Excellent question.
Originally Posted by RickBin
For me, hunting out west, I've settled on a standard-sized bino (choose your poison from any of the above) for all-around work, and a 15X on a tripod for specialized work.

The ideal kit for me actually includes two tripods: one very sturdy and too heavy to pack far, and that stays within, say, 1 mile or 1000 vertical feet of the truck, roughly. The second is much lighter and portable, not as steady, and would go in a backpack.

The more I hunt (particularly mule deer) with 15X on a tripod, the more I try to hunt with 15X on a tripod.

I completely agree with Rick on this.
Last fall I hunted Desert Bighorn Sheep and a few months prior to the hunt scouting. I used my 15x56 Swarovski SLC's on a tripod about 70% of the time,I used my 10x42 EL's about 15% of the time and a spotting scope the remaining 15%. This ratio might change a bit for different species of game, but I have never had a use for a 7x bino.
B
Posted By: ROE_DEER Re: One set of bins, or two? - 04/05/08
Originally Posted by Razkul99
Roe,

... dictated by the presence of a finite budget.

So if you had to reduce your inventory to one or two bins, which would stay?

one High Grade 7/8x42 plus one 20x60S (stabilized)

If I had to sell one of the two - perhaps because of an arising need of a set of new winter tires (;-)) - it was the 20x,
which leaves me the 7/8x42.

© 24hourcampfire