Home
Posted By: Big_Chief low power variable - 10/24/08
whos got experience with 1 to 4 or similar power scopes no higher than 1.24 to 4 and what models were they and how do you like them for speed of target aquisition and how do you like using a lowish setting like 4 power on shots longer than 250 yards?? thanks
Posted By: sourdough44 Re: low power variable - 10/24/08
O.K. so I'm a little out of your stated range. I have 2 Vari-x-III 1.75-6 scopes I use on deer rifles. One I bought new & the other came with a used gun. Most of my shots are 40-100yrds. For this use I think it would be hard for me to find a better scope.
Posted By: Jayhawker Re: low power variable - 10/24/08
I've had a 1-4x20 and a couple of 1.5-5x20 scopes on rifles, all Leupolds. I found that I really don't like the image of the barrel at low magnifications. It doesn't seem to bother some people, but I just couldn't get used to it. I found that after a period of time, I'd just leave the scopes set at the upper limit, and would have been better served by going with just a straight 4 or 6x scope.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: low power variable - 10/24/08

I have owned 1X4 and 1.75X5 Leupy's and currently own a 1.1X4 S&B Zenith non-illuminated reticule. I like the S&B very much and for close range hunting in thick cover it is the ticket on 1.1 power the field of view is enormous
Posted By: Big_Chief Re: low power variable - 10/24/08
Originally Posted by jwp475

I have owned 1X4 and 1.75X5 Leupy's and currently own a 1.1X4 S&B Zenith non-illuminated reticule. I like the S&B very much and for close range hunting in thick cover it is the ticket on 1.1 power the field of view is enormous

yeah that is my dream scope only illuminated but for now at least i wont be doing part with that kind of money. have you ever had to make a longer shot with these scopes?
Posted By: erich Re: low power variable - 10/24/08
I have an old VariX-II 1x4x20, a VX-II 1x4x20, a Nikon Monarch 1.5x5x20, 2 Weaver V-3 1x3x20, a Elite 4200 1.25x4x30 Ill. and a Sightron II 1.5x6x40mm. All of them are on coyote calling guns or deer rifles, I've tried higher power variable but find them lacking for the type of hunting I do.

If I had to pick the best they would be the Sightron the VX-II and the Weavers, the 4200 is a little on the heavy side but great glass, the Nikon is a little demanding on eye position. I use all of them so none are bad.

erich
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: low power variable - 10/24/08
I have always liked low power variable scopes on my lever guns.

Leupold, Pentax, old El Paso Weavers, and older Denver Redfields.
They look good on a lever gun, and where I hunt, most of the time, they stay on 1 or 2.5X.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: low power variable - 10/25/08
Have used the 1.5-5X a lot,years past.The 1-4 some,but not as much. To me they are pretty much the same.I've killed antelope,elk, mule deer,whitetails,etc.between 350 and 500 yards with fixed 4X Leup's.All were "dead" and I did not feel handicapped at the time.

The only time I feel handicapped with 4X is during the off-season, when I read and think too much.
Posted By: Big_Chief Re: low power variable - 10/25/08
Originally Posted by BobinNH

The only time I feel handicapped with 4X is during the off-season, when I read and think too much.

man how true is that, i never worry about any of my equipment in the feild but when im researching guns and equipment i could find something wrong with the worlds finest rifle, i just hope im not doomed to be unhappy with my rig forever
Posted By: federali Re: low power variable - 10/26/08
All my scopes are 1.5-5X or 1-4X. This is a mix of Leupold, Pentax, Burris and Bushnell. I'll never own a 3-9X or larger for eastern woods hunting. The one advantage people cite is the large field of view afforded by the low end variable. An even greater advantage overlooked by most hunters is that at low power, these scopes are especially easy to use with both eyes open. Closing your eye reduces your field of view by 50%. I use the higher magnification to sight in, then leave the scope set at its lowest setting for hunting. Lets not forget that the higher the magnification, the greater the perceived rifle motion, making them more difficult to shoot off hand.

When I see a 3-9X or a 4-12X on a .35 Marlin, I know its owner is new to deer hunting.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: low power variable - 10/26/08
Considering my longest kill on anything was with a 4x and my longest shot on a black bear was with a 1-4x, I don't have a problem with them.
Posted By: Big_Chief Re: low power variable - 10/26/08
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Considering my longest kill on anything was with a 4x and my longest shot on a black bear was with a 1-4x, I don't have a problem with them.

how many yards was the shot??

I have a 1.5x5 illuminated Leupold that I use on my work rifles while overseas and then use on my personal Colt AR when home (primarily for coyote calling).

I also have a Weaver V3 1x3 on a 16" 30-30 and a couple of Weaver fixed 2.5x scopes, one being on the Marlin .44 lever gun in the photo.

In short, for hunting they are great, for group shooting/paper punching, I prefer higher magnification.

The Weaver V3 is a real sleeper. It is an outstanding litle scope and sized appropriately.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jdm953 Re: low power variable - 10/26/08
I have 2 Sightron 1.5-6x42,2 leupold 2-7x33,1 Vortec2-7x35 and 1 Vortec 1.75-5x32.I like lower power scopes but none of the rifles with these scopes is intended for 250 yards but I am pretty sure at the highest power in the right hands they would be fine.The only rifle I have for longer shots is my 25-06 and it wears a Nikon 6.5-20x44,I dont have the right hands.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: low power variable - 10/27/08
Originally Posted by Big_Chief

420 yards on a 'yote and 275 on the bear.
Posted By: GuyM Re: low power variable - 10/27/08
Bought a 1-4x Leupold many years ago - like around 1984 or so. Very cool little scope. Seeing the front sight/barrel at low power was a little distracting, but no big deal. On game, I'm happy out to 200+ yards at 3x or so.

These days I use a fixed 2.5x on my .45/70 Marlin and really appreciate the wide field of view, light weight and speed getting on target. Nice...
Posted By: Gone_Huntin Re: low power variable - 10/27/08
I have a couple of 1.5-5 Leupolds, fine out to 250-300 Yd. I have 2 1.75x6 Leupolds, and a couple of 2.5x8 Leupolds on guns that I might take a 400 yard shot with. I like lower power in the woods, and I also like smaller trimmer scopes on all my big game rifles, that is why I do not go above the 2.5x8.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: low power variable - 10/27/08
I have 3 Zeiss 1.5-6x4, one S & B 1.5-6x42 and a Leupy 1-4x24. I use and have had other more conventional 3-9s, 4-12, I like my 4.5-14 a lot, but for hunting deer in Minnesota the low power scopes are just perfect. I will say that the high end Euro scopes are really nice for picking up deer in the brush quick and the superior optics make them really good out to 300 yards. But, it's no fun paying for them. Patient careful work on ebay can cut the price a lot.
Posted By: taz4570 Re: low power variable - 10/27/08
I'm with Dorm. All of my big game rifles wear 2.5-8 or less. My favorites are the old short front 1.75-6 Leupolds, but I also very much like my 1.5-5s and 1-4s.
Posted By: boomtube Re: low power variable - 10/27/08
I have or have had scopes in that power range from Bushell, Weaver, Redfield, Bosh and Lomb and Leupold. They are great big game rifle sights. I love them all but have never taken a long shot at big game with any of them, that's just not the kind of country I hunt.

Inside 200 or so yards I would have no question of making such a shot with a 4x tho. Forget the "magnification" a moment and consider that the acutal effect of a scopes power is to reduce the apperant distance to the target. A 4x scope makes a 200 yard deer seem only 50 yards away. If I couldn't hit at that range I need a lot more practice, not more magnification.

Just a personal perspective but lower power scopes have a wide acceptance angle that makes rapid target acquisition easy; I like that. It also means we can start to see the barrel at powers around 2x but that's never been a problem to me, I concentrate on my target instead of the barrel anyway.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: low power variable - 10/27/08
I lied, checked my photo album, the 'yote was 390.
Posted By: atkinsonhunting Re: low power variable - 10/27/08
I have 1x4x20s and 1.5x5s on all my hunting rifles..A 20 mm objective is the best way to insure your scope stays in zero..The bigger the scope and the more extension you have out the front ring, the easier it is to knock out of adjustment. I see this every year in our African hunting camps..BTW you can get a very good sight picture even at 800 or so yards with a 2.5 or 3X scope in that all you have to do is put the X on the shoulder..I don't shoot that far, but I have looked at a lot of animals at those extended ranges with my 3X's and the longest shot that I have ever made was with a 3X Leupold...

On a varmint the largest scope I use is a 4x12...and lately a 2x7, hate those heat waves..I don't target shoot as that is a different dicipline.
Posted By: Big_Chief Re: low power variable - 10/28/08

420 yards on a 'yote and 275 on the bear.

420 you kidding? thats a hard shot on 4x admit it
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: low power variable - 10/28/08
I have used lots of Leupold 1-4X, 1.5-5X and 2.5x scopes on leverguns and quite a few old and new Weaver 1.5-5x,1-3X, 2.5X and 3X, Burris 2-7X, 4X, Redfield 1.5-5X, 2.5X etc. I think any of the 20mm straight tube scopes are great for leverguns. They ususally have a wide field of view, are easy to mount nice and low where they belong and give plenty of magnification out to as far as I could possibly shoot something with a levergun.

If I was forced to pick one that was the best all around, it would be the Leupold VX-III 1.5-5X with standard duplex. It is very clear, light, compact and has the most forgiving eye box of any of the scopes mentioned. The other Leupolds are not far behind. The Burris scopes have somewhat forgiving eye boxes, the Weavers are ok (some have great eye relief), and the Redfields, not so much.
Posted By: PPosey Re: low power variable - 06/20/09
Ya I know this thread is wayyy old but I just found it,,,, I have 6 burris 1.5-6 Sig select scopes, half illuminated rets and half plain, and they are my fav scope. Put on 1.5 in the brush, dial up to 6 if you need to.
Posted By: gregory Re: low power variable - 06/20/09
I have a Leupold 1-4x20 mounted on a Kimber Model 82, a 1.5-5x Leupold on a custom 257 Roberts and just recently, I bought a 1.5-5x Weaver for an AR15. I haven't had time to use the Weaver but I really like the Leupolds. It is very entertaining to watch some of the rifle/scope combos at the public shooting range just prior to the deer hunting season.
Posted By: 106rr Re: low power variable - 06/22/09
I have a VX3 1.5x5 on a restocked Rem 722 in 300 Savage. It is an excellent combo for my needs and that caliber. A vari xll 2x7 on a Belgian Browning BAR in 270 needs to go back to Leupold for repair. I bought the 2x7 in 1969 or 70. Those darn Leupies just don't hold up!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: low power variable - 06/22/09
whos got experience with 1 to 4 or similar power scopes no higher than 1.24 to 4 and what models were they and how do you like them for speed of target aquisition and how do you like using a lowish setting like 4 power on shots longer than 250 yards?? thanks

Used them plenty,up close here in New England,Manitoba, Alaska....250 yards is a sneaze with a 4X;so isn't 300....and 400 if you know your rifle and scope.

Longest shot at a mule deer was 500-ish,made with a 4X.Sometimes more power is nicer,but 4Xcan get things done.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: low power variable - 06/22/09

I've had a couple of 1.5-5X Leupolds and shot some with a 1-4X.

I don't really like them. Kept going back because the armchair experts on what works for me told me that's what I needed, but I'm a lot faster getting on target with a 2.5-8X or 3-9X. I have a much harder time getting the crosshairs to the target, then keeping them there, with a real low powered scope than I do with one of medium power.

Last year I picked up a 1.75-6X Leupold. I like it a lot better than the 1.5-5X and 1-4X. A couple weeks ago I picked up a 5 year old, but NIB, 2-7X Vari X II which I just know I'm going to like.

Anyways, I'm not at all a fan of the very low powered scopes. Tried 'em. They don't work well for me.

Tom
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: low power variable - 06/22/09
over the years I have used a variety of low power variables with good results.
Among them have been Redfield 1-4X, Weaver 1.5-5.5X, Weaver Classic Extreme 1.5-4.5X, Leupold 1.5-5X and others.

In my area, the shots are not long, and usually even these low power variable scopes are left on the lower settings.
Posted By: DavidValdina Low power variable scopes - 06/22/09
I have a 1.75 - 5x Leupold and it is probably my favorite scope for hunting. On deer or similar size animals, I do not think a 4x limit hurts you at 200 yards, or what ever your personal accuracy limits put you at. My own skill level is such that at an offhand position, I should limit my shots to 150 yards. Sitting to 300 yards. Regardless of the scope's power. Heck, the records show years of exceptional accuracy with peep and globe sight shooters at 200 yards and better. The power does not make for accuracy as much as other factors. Having said that, if you are going to push the edges of legal hours, a 36mm or larger 6x scope will let you see better than any other. Lastly, there are times I will put some syrup on a target, wait for flys to land, and hunt them. I know it isn't really fair chase, but I am getting old now. My favorite scope for these hunts is a Weaver T-36 on a .22 Remington 40x with match ammo. And little problem dragging the critters out of the field.
Posted By: DMB Re: Low power variable scopes - 06/23/09
Chief,

My new FN Winchester Model 70 in 7-08 has one of Leupold's new VX-3, 1.5-5x scopes on top.

That should serve you well.

Don
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: low power variable - 06/23/09
Since the thread has strayed from Big Chief's initial request to keep it to scopes no larger than 1.25x4...

The Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5 I bought a few months ago continues to dazzle me. It's remarkable in every way- remarkably clear, remarkably good in very low light, and remarkably big and LONG for a low-power variable. smile
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: low power variable - 06/23/09
...........I use two 1.5-5x20 Leupolds. One is a VX111 and the other is a newer VX3. One is mounted on a 375 Ruger Alaskan and the other is mounted on a 300 WSM Ruger compact.

Although a very capable long range (400-500 yard) elk rig, despite its size, the Ruger compact I primarily use for hog hunting in the thicker cover and sometimes in more open plains where I have taken big hogs at 300+ yards.

On the 1.5x, they have both eyes open capability for very fast target acquisition and aiming along with wider FOVs. Excellent for hunting at the closer ranges in the thicker terrains as needed for a 375 DGR.

On the 5X (one higher than your max, but not that much different)with both rifles, I can easily take out 1 gallon milk cartons filled with water at 300 yards and for any deer sized game and larger, longer ranged 400-500 yard precision shots are not a problem.

Some if not most hunters, seldom use more than 5x for their longer shots anyway. When hunting, increased magnification causes additional scope wobble, uncertainty and can delay the shot.

My groups at the range are no different now than when I had a 3x9 on my 300 WSM using the 9x. The lower variables will also keep a rifle`s weight down by a few ounces.

If you`re looking for a very versatile scope for use in any terrain, from 5 yards to 500 yards, that is very fast on the low power, very capable to 500 yards and is lightweight (except the 30mm tubes), a 1x4 or a 1.5x5 is an excellent choice.
Posted By: bearbacker Re: low power variable - 07/01/09
I had a Leupold Vari-X II in 1-4x20 on a Mannlicher-stocked Ruger .243 carbine, and now have a Leupold Vari-x III in 1.5-5x20 on the same carbine in 250 Savage. On the lower powers you can point 'em with both eyes open like a shotgun. On the highest power the field of view is still large enough to quickly find game. Even with the 20mm objective, they are bright. I've never taken a shot over about 200 yds with either of them, but wouldn't hesitate up to maybe 300, depending on how it all looks at the moment of truth.
Posted By: Ratltrap Re: low power variable - 07/02/09
I have low power variable scopes on woods guns and DGRs ranging from a Weaver V3 1-3x20 on a Marlin 336 to a Leupold Vari-X-II 2-7x33 on a 20" 30-06. I've taken more game with the ancient 2-7x33, but my favorite scopes are a VXIII 1.5-5 on a 375 H&H Mauser action and a B&L Elite 3000 1.5-4.5x32 on a 35 Whelen bolt gun.

Those compact little scopes are hard to beat for FOV and eye relief. They also steady my shaky hold at long range and give me crisp focus at close range. Therapeutically that limits my flinching in anticipation of a brow bender from the heavy hitters and keeps my supply of band-aids topped off rather than pasted to my forehead. They are almost as good as open sights at close range and are generally better than high power variables out to 300 yds. Where they fail is in observing detail for trophy animals and verifying the sex of animals like goats, bison, and bear.
© 24hourcampfire