Home
Posted By: FrankD Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 01/24/09
With a great deal of excitement I finally have had the opportunity to get my hands around the new Meopta Meostar 8x32 mm binocular. I have owned almost all of the larger models (7x42, 8x42, 10x42 (Euro) and 10x50) at one time or another. My favorites have been the 8x42 and the 10x50. Now I get to add a new favorite, the 8x32.

Let me offer a bit of an explanation of my preferences before going into a full-blown review. After several years of trying dozens of bins currently on the market in a variety of different configurations I have come to the conclusion that I really prefer full size 7x42 and 8x42 bins to just about anything else out there. These two sizes provide me with what I consider the perfect blend of physical size and weight with a level of optical performance sure to please anyone for just about every application.

I have tried most, if not all, of the mostly highly regarded 32 mm glasses on the market and though they are superb optical instruments I just cannot get the same comfort level with them that I can with a 42 mm glass. My guess is that this is because of two reasons. One, the size of the exit pupil generated by the larger glasses and, two, the fact that the physical size of the larger glasses not only fits my hands better but also provides a more stable viewing platform because of the increased weight. I am making these comments in reference to a �full-time� glass not necessarily something to be used as a �backup� or to be used in situations where size and weight are paramount. If either of the latter issues is a concern then the 32 mm models most certainly win out as they do offer almost identical optical performance in a lighter, more compact package.

So, I guess you would then ask why I would be looking at the smaller 32 mm Meopta. Well, I have a fairly large selection of full-sized 42 mm glass right now. Enough that I don't really have the desire to delve further into that section of the market. So, what is the logical next step to consider? A 50 mm model? A 10x model? Either would be something I would like to eventually explore but for the time being I believe a 32 mm, and an 8x32 mm at that, is a niche that needs to be filled. I did have the wonderful little Zeiss 8x32 FL that could, realistically, serve most of the roles that I would put it into. But it, and some of its brethren in the price stratosphere, leave me with a bit of mixed feelings. They are all beautiful glass that provide views unequaled by any but their larger counterparts. The ergonomics of the 8x32 EL, the color representation in the Ultravid, the total lack of color fringing in the FL�all provide experiences that truly have to be �. well � experienced to be appreciated. Even the highly regarded 8x32 SE provides such a superbly realistic representation in its view that they, as a collective group, are difficult to ignore. So, you may ask why anyone would consider getting rid of such wonderful little instruments?

Well, my decision to sell these little gems was not easy. However, with two kids, a mortgage and a lot of other bills to pay I just could not justify owning them. Their performance was superb but their value was not. So, what of the little SE you might ask? It does provide a view that few, if any, bins equal and the price nowadays is well within most folks� budget. All true but what it doesn�t have is the truly modern physical design that it deserves. The simple addition of waterproofing, in the form of an O-ring seal or true internal focusing, and the addition of modern eyecups would make this a binocular to be feared but without either it does not entirely meet my personal needs. And so, the search continues for that rare 32 mm binocular that provides superb optical performance and retails within a less cost prohibitive price range.

It should come as no surprise then that I was very excited to hear of the introduction of the 32 mm series from Meopta. I have always been a Meopta fan. Their binoculars are true competitors to the �Alpha� glass but at a price that is now less than half of their competition. There have been many times when I held the 42 mm Meostar up next to both the Swarovski SLC and the Leica Trinovid and wondered what justified the price difference. Granted, each has its own set of optical �uniqueness� but, in my opinion, the optical performance of the Meopta was certainly in the same league as these two other �classics�. So, after a great deal of patient waiting I finally have my hands wrapped around the wonderful 8x32 Meopta Meostar.

�and on to the review�.

Physical size and ergonomics

The Meostar is a fairly diminuitive binocular roughly about 2/3rds the physical size of its larger 42 mm counterpart. It is also about 2/3rds the weight (21 oz and 30 oz respectively). The rubber armor that covers the binocular is practically identical to that of its larger brethren with the exception of a slightly more pleasing tactile sensation. I dare not call it �slick� in texture in fear of alienating someone that will instantly find objection with it. But it is �slicker� than that of the 42 mm model. This seems to be the result of both the texture of the material and also the amount of cushion it provides.

The binoculars� ergonomics are excellent in my opinion. There are two small thumb indents on the underside of the barrels. They seem to be placed in just the right spot for my thumbs to slide smoothly into them. The physical length of the binocular also suits my hands quite well. Many 32 mm models are just too short for me to get a decent grip on them resulting in more image shake and a less overall appealing experience. At 4.9 inches the 32 mm Meostar does not suffer from this issue.

The focusing knob is practically identical to that of the 42 mm model in terms of both size and overall design. The issue of focusing tension and speed is a very individual one but I, personally, find the Meopta�s to be as close to perfect as I have yet to find. Only the original Nikon Venturer might be more precise and responsive. It takes just a bit over one and a half turns to go from close focus (of about 6 feet) to infinity. The diopter mechanism of the Meostar series is integrated into the focus knob. Individual click stop adjustments make aligning it fairly simple.

The 32 mm also shares the eyecup adjustment design of the 42 mm model though there appears to be one small intermediate setting between fully collapsed and fully extended. Both configurations utilize a tripod-mounting hole at the end of the central hinge for more stable viewing.

Optical performance

Many times it is difficult for me to put my optical impressions into words. The 32 Meostar presents just such a challenge. With that thought in mind I will start with the basics.

The first thing that jumps out at me when I look through these binoculars is the strikingly wide field of view (both apparent [64 degrees] and true [420 feet]). The second thing is how flat the image is. From technical drawings presented on the Meopta website I am aware of the use of a field flattener element in the 42 mm design. In practical use it is equally apparent that the 32 mm model uses the same design. In addition, there is also very little noticeable distortion around the outer edge of the image. In other words the size of the sweet spot of image in focus with the center of the field of view is huge. It is easily the equivalent of the 42 mm and certainly competitive with the likes of the Swarovski EL and possibly even the Nikon LXL. I did not do any scientific tests to verify my next comment but general impressions would put the sweet spot at well over 90% of the field of view. In addition, the transition is so gradual that you barely notice that there is any distortion in the image at all. Further examination revealed that this distortion is most likely field curvature as I am able to refocus the outer edge of the image with just a very slight tap on the focus wheel.

Both apparent brightness and apparent sharpness are also excellent. Comparing the 32 mm to the 42 mm reveals the expected slightly dimmer image but in regular daytime use I do not notice much, if any, of a difference. The contrast level is first rate and easily equal to anything else I have had the privelege to own. It most certainly equals the 42 mm and might actually be better because of something I am about to comment on.

The 42 mm suffers from two optical �weaknesses� in my opinion. One is its level of chromatic aberration (color fringing) in the distorted part of the image. Even more towards the center of the field of view it displays slightly more than one might find in the likes of either the equivalent Swarovski or Leica models. The other issue is its color representation. The 42 mm model displays a slightly warm color bias. The effect is very subtle but when viewing a brightly lit image, such as that of an object against a great deal of snow, then the color bias is more apparent. I have seen some binoculars display a great deal of color bias and it can be distracting. This does not appear to be the case with the 42 mm model as I tend to find the slightly warm bias as comforting under some challenging conditions.

So, you may then ask how the 32 mm model fairs in both of these areas. Well, for starters it offers a much more neutral color representation. My guess would be that they changed the composition of the optical coatings. I do not feel it is quite as neutral as the Nikon SE or Zeiss FL but it is noticeably more neutral than that of the 42 mm model. A quick glance from one to the other at the snow bank in my backyard verifies it.

The level of color fringing in the 32 mm model also seems to be reasonably well controlled. It is slightly better than that of the 42 mm model. What I have often found is that, all else being equal, a smaller aperture configuration can often lead to less color fringing. This appears to be the case with the Meostar line. Either that or they tweaked the optical design slightly to help correct this issue.

Conclusion:

Hmm, how can I easily sum up this binocular? I like it. I really do. What it provides, for me, is the same optical performance of that of the Swarovski EL 8x32 in that the image is flat, with a large sweet spot, excellent contrast and excellent color representation. It is also similar in that it displays wonderful ergonomics. However, it is priced at less than half the going rate of the 8x32 EL.

There is something else to the image that I cannot put my finger on. The combination of the flat field with the large sweet spot makes the image seem very natural. It almost seems as if you took a scissors and cut out a portion of my normal field of view and magnified it. The lack of edge distortion and the wide field of view make the image extremely natural. Eye placement is also not very critical so it is a pleasure to put up to your eyes.

All in all I think Meopta took a big step forward with the 32 mm Meostar. They took everything that was optically and physically attractive about the 42 mm model and put it into the 32 mm while also rectifying several of the issues that faced the larger model.

Two thumbs up in my book.

wink

(P.S. I have some pics to upload but cannot access photobucket within a reasonable amount of time here at home....more to follow..)
Posted By: mathman Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 01/24/09
Are you trying to cost me more money? I already have the 8x42 and love it. smile
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 01/24/09
So, FrankD, you're saying the Meostar 8x32 is the equal of the Swaro 8x32 EL, and thus the Zeiss 8x32 FL and the Leica 8x32 Ultravid?
Posted By: SteveC99 Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 01/24/09
Add my two thumbs to Frank's. He's right. These are better than their 42mm brothers and clearly (pun intended) on par with the more expensive models.
Posted By: SKane Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 01/25/09
Frank-

Steve "warned" me this was coming. <grin>
Thank you! Wonderful evaluation, and, I've been waiting for this with some anticipation. You referenced "Eye placement is also not very critical so it is a pleasure to put up to your eyes." That strikes a chord with me as I've never been 100% comfortable with my Leica 8x32 in that regard. (other than that they're spectacular) I've been contemplating moving these for the slightly larger Leica 7x but now you've got me wondering if I don't "need" these instead. Thanks a lot buddy! <grin>

Posted By: FrankD Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 01/25/09
Mathman,

Why yes, I am .... wink

VA,

Calling something the "equal" of the Alphas is not necessarily the way I would phrase it. It has been my experience that everything is a series of trade-offs in the optical market. You want a wide field of view then you are probably going to sacrifice a flat field or stray light control. You want a lightweight binocular that doesn't cost an arm and a leg then you are probably going to sacrifice some optical performance....you get my drift.

The discussion of comparing one Alpha bin to another can get dicey. For example, I have often seen it mentioned that folks don't think as highly of the 32 mm EL as they do the 42 mm at least in comparison to the Ultravids or FLs. If we look at it from strictly an optical performance perspective then the water gets even muddier. What do you place more value in? The vividness of colors? The sharpness of the image? The field of view? ....What is your priority? I could easily say the Zeiss FL is the best binocular in the world because it provides the brightest and sharpest image. Someone else would argue that the Swaro EL takes the cake because it has the largest sweetspot and, arguably, the best ergonomics. It is all a toss up depending on your preferences.

I guess what I am saying is that the little Meopta 8x32 presents a blend of optical and physical performance characteristics that make it truly competitive with the likes of the Alpha glass. Is it brighter than the FL? No. Is it as ergonomic as the EL? No. Is it as rugged as a Leica Trinovid. Possibly. (Go watch the video that Cabelas provides for their Euro bin (rebadged Meopta) and tell me it isn't. wink )

It isn't the "leader" in any of those categories but what this binocular does do is put together a wonderful blend of all the most sought after characteristics. In my opinion it scores very well in each and every category that most folks find appealing. That may make it more of an "Alpha" than some others out there.

Steve,

Based on what I just posted I agree with you. :-)
Skane,

Sorry, I was posting at the same time as you. wink

Are you saying that you don't need the Leica 8x32s or 7x42s?

To go a bit more into eye placement I want to touch on a subject I am beginning to understand. If my interpretation of the facts is correct then one of the reasons the Meopta is so "easy" on eye placement is because of the light cone that the eyepieces generate. Think of it this way, if you have a really wide eyepiece design and a given exit pupil, 5 mm for example, then it is going to have a fatter light cone than that of a narrower one. This light cone should, theoretically, make eye placement much easier. I think this would apply to both the EL and the Meostar. Both have that "ease of view" as soon as you place the binoculars up to your eyes.
Wellllllll, I have the 8.5x42 EL's and, for my eyes, I couldn't get better. They're like throwing up a window pane in front of my face and will likely go to the grave with me.

When I purchased the Leica's I wanted a more compact, lightweight alpha for archery and hunting the tighter cover that is oftentimes associated with hunting whitetails - I really wanted a 6.5 or 7x in a smallish bin but, as you're well aware, none of the big three see fit to offer that. frown The debate I'm having with myself is the 7x vs. compact vs. getting a sweet picture right away without shifting around. I THINK I can deal with the 8x in a compact if I don't have to wiggle around behind them.

I've a friend of a friend at Vortex that I'm supposedly getting a 6.5x Fury from so that might solidify the small compact (not expecting Alpha quality glass with them either) but there's no way in heck I'm selling decent glass (the 8x32's Leica) and not getting another set of some sort of high-end binocular. Sort of like selling a rifle and using the money for a new kitchen set - taint happenin'. grin
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 01/25/09
Skane;

Understood. Had the same slight issue with the x32 Ultravids. The x82s, simply kick ass.

Gonna make a suggestion, after grabbing another pair myself. Look at the Leupold 6x30 Yosemites. Sub $100, and VERY light. Killer truck bins, if you don't like them for hunting.
Posted By: cfran Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 01/25/09
Skane - you are exactly in the same boat as me, own 32's Leica and feel the same as you. Let me know what you end up doing, good luck!

Noooooooooooooooooooo, you let ME know what YOU end up doing....<grin>
Posted By: SteveC99 Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 01/25/09
SKane,
VA's right about the Yosemite. They are just about a porro equivalent of the 6.5 Fury. You are right not to expect alpha performance, but as with the 6.5 Minox they are closer than you might expect. The 6.5 Fury image looks a tad bit bigger than the Yosemite, but the porro image tends to look smaller than a roof image anyway, and then there is .5x extra magnification. Out to reasonable rifle range, you probably will not find the Fury lacking much. I've ordered a new 7x36 Diamondback from Doug for the sake of comparison.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 01/25/09
frankd

nice write-up. i have been considering a pair of these myself. where did you purchase them? $799 is the best price i can find.
Guys-
Concur on the Yosemities. I bought the Yosemites for a friend for x-mas. I purchased them early so I could play with them for a couple weeks. smile
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 01/25/09
Buy another pair.

They are not purchased yet. I was lucky enough to get a demo unit for review from one of the guys at Meopta.

...and the cheapest place I have found to buy the Meopta products is the eurooptics.com site. Funny, it is based about an hour and a half north of me. I should take a trip up there sometime.

wink
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 01/25/09
Darn you, Frank. Up till this post, I though I had all of my binocular needs met.
I found myself packing my Leupold Yosemite last year mostly because they were light, 19 ozs. with covers and strap. Verses 25 ozs. for my Nikon LXL 8X32. This in spite of the fact that the little 6X30 Yosemite were no where near as good as the LX.
I've been wondering if I shouldn't revisit the Leupold Katmai in 8X30. They rather got my attention in the store when I looked at them. Now, after reading your review, I may well have to have the little 8X32 Meopta.
Well, at least I've got some excellent details from somebody that knows what he's talking about.
Thanks. In spite of the fact you may well cost me some money I'd rather not spend. E
Frank - great review BTW, I really look forward to your posts and this was an interesting review - sounds like good glass. So are these around $700?

I just wish someone would make top notch glass in a 6/7x32/36 configuration!
I head down that road too often myself E. I really need to slow down with the binocular purchases. It is a bit addicting as I am sure you well know. wink

Thank you for the compliment E.

smile
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 01/25/09
I'm not sure you don't already have that in the 6.5X32 IF Minox Cfran. I've played with mine a good bit way out there at the longer ranges. While I can stack them and see a difference when stacking them between the Pentax DCF 8X43 and the Minox, as a practical side, I'll be darned if I can see any difference in what they show me from a field position until the range opens to a good 1200 plus yds. I can see a tiny difference between them and my 8X32 Nikon LX at say 500 plus yds., but as far as anything practical, even at 1500 yds., I doubt this very small difference would mean anything in the field.
The nice thing about the Minox 6.5's is their very deep depth of focus. I can change from 300 yds to 1500 yds and not bother with refocusing the Minox. With the ever so slightly better Nikon, I must refocus even between 400 and 600 yds.
A pretty tough to beat practical binocular that Minox. Thanks for the tip. It was your description of it's qualities that convinced me to try one. E
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 01/25/09
i think we need to talk doug into carrying the meopta line????
E - I do own the Minox and honestly I use them now more than my ultravids - they're very nice I agree. Honestly I'm not sure what I should do. I could just sell the Ultravids and use the Minox all the time when I'm on the move as their compact enough or just in close cover. And when I start thinking like that then the bino I would like to have would be a full sized 7x42 for stand hunting when image quality is at a premium and I don't care about weight- who knows. One thing is once you've been spoiled by good glass it's hard to go back, and the Ultravids image is simply outstanding . . . and honestly the Minox gives little to any of the makes.

I will say I notice that the Minox do shine in low light . . .
cfran-

Maybe one of the big three would make a 6.5x set for you, me and DMB? An order of three would surely make them jump, don't ya think? grin grin
You bet - I'm sure we'd move the market! (grin)

Posted By: FrankD Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 01/26/09
Originally Posted by 338rcm
i think we need to talk doug into carrying the meopta line????

I already made one attempt on that issue.

wink

In terms of the general discussion I have to agree that a high quality 6x-7x binocular really is an addicting experience. I have always been very fond of the 7x42 FL, 7x42 Trinovid, 7x42 Meostar and even the 7x42 SLC (despite the weight). The image quality at that level coupled with the depth of field, wide field of view and large exit pupil make this style of binocular difficult to ignore. Now I would love to see some of these companies come up with a high quality 6-6.5x. The ease of view is apparent with the likes of the Yosemite, Vortex Fury, Minox, etc... Imagine what it would be like if someone pulled out all the stops on one. It probably would make you feel like there isn't even a binocular in front of your face.

wink
Posted By: SKane Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 01/26/09
Frank-

That's why I am still considering the Ultravid in 7x as it's the smallest, lightest of the bunch in the alpha's.
Posted By: MJines Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 03/18/09
Cabelas has these for $649.88 in the Bargain Cave. I just took the plunge and feel refreshed.
Posted By: tx270 Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 03/18/09
These are basically a brand new model and Cabela's already has the in the Bargain Cave ????!!!!!! I need to stay away from cabelas then or a pair of these may come home with me!

Bill
Posted By: slg888 Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 03/19/09
I just bought a pair of swarovski 8x30 for 899.00 new. Was going to get the meopta 8x32, but couldnt resist the swarovski price.
Posted By: koshkin Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 03/19/09
Good review, Frank.

A couple of comments on 8x32 vs 8x42 Meostars:

if you look at the 32mm ones carefully, you will note that while slim, the barrels of the binocular are comparatively long. If you get a chance to look at the design, you will find, that the 32mm binos have comparatively higher f-number than the 42mm ones which makes for better depth of field and fewer aberrations. Even with the same optical quality this 32mm binocular is likely to yield somewhat better image quality.

Have you had a chance to try the new Kowa Genesis 8x33?

ILya
Posted By: FrankD Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 03/19/09
Ilya,

Excellent observations. I would agree. There are definitely some optical improvements going from the 42 mm to the 32 mm model. The difference is quite noticeable when comparing the two directly.

I have not had the chance to check out the Genesis 8x33. I think it would be an interesting comparison with the Meopta 32 mm though. Holger Merlitz did a nice comparison a year or so ago between the 42 mm Meopta, Kowa and Vortex Razor. The Kowas scored the highest overall edging out the Meopta by 1 point. With the improvements in the 32 mm Meopta line I wonder if the comparison would be even closer at this point.

wink

My guess as to why the price is reduced is to attract more people into buying the bins initially. That way the word can get around about how good they are for the price....and they really are. Other than the Nikon SE 8x32 I have yet to find a 32 mm binocular that offers this level of optical quality in the current "under $700" price range.

Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 03/19/09
FrankD, good review thanks. I was at a Deer Classic a few weeks back and Meopta had a booth. I looked at the 8x32's and really liked them from an ergonomic view. The factory rep basically said they were 98% of a Leica/SWaro/Zeiss bino and I thought he understated them . I own a pair of Meopta 7x42's which I picked up from Alex Roy @ Eurooptics and am pleased as punch with them. I will be ordering the 8x32's.
Posted By: FrankD Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 03/19/09
Glad to hear it. I would agree with you. He did understate it. The 8x32 Meoptas are every bit as good as the Swaro EL/SLCs at a fraction of the cost.

I look forward to hearing your further impressions.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 03/19/09
Always easier to sneak a binocular box past the wife then one of those 52" long carton boxes. grin
Posted By: darcytribe Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 04/10/09
Frank, Thanks for the detailed review. I had already decided on the Meo 8x42 but you've got me re-thinking. Could you comment on the little brothers low light viewing abilities compared to the 8x42? These will be used for backcountry hunting so I'm intrigued by essentally equal ergonomics and optical quality from a lighter unit but low light glassing is high on the list for me as well.
Thanks!
Posted By: GrimJim Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 04/11/09
Frank, another thank you for the review. My 10-year old SLC's seemed inadequate hunting near dusk last year; they were non-competitive with the new Zeiss 2.5-8X32 Conquest scope on the rifle.

I have been reading reviews and opinions for about three months. Tonight I reached an informal agreement with my musician wife that a new piccolo and a new pair of binoculars probably were fair compensation for each other.

After rereading this thread tonight, I ordered the Meostar 8X32's that are on sale.

Cheers,

GrimJim
Posted By: GrimJim Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 04/16/09
The brown truck delivered my Meopta Meostar 8X32's this evening just at dusk. I have a pair of Bausch & Lomb Discoverer 8X42 porro prism binoculars at the ready that I immediately compared them to looking around the neighborhood in the dimming light.

This review is from the perspective of a liberal arts major, so it will include minimal technical terms.

My first response on looking through the Meoptas was "Wow!" (first technical term) These little binoculars deliver the biggest view I have seen in binoculars. I hesitate to say field of view, it is really a big picture (second technical term). If there was a scale for a ratio of picture per ounce, these would go off the scale.

I bought the B&L Discovers a few years ago when they were discontinued at a price so low it shames me. Comparing it to the Meostar, I found them both equally bright. This probably means that my eyes (near-sighted and fighting glaucoma) are now old enough that they can't use the greater light available from a 42mm lens or an exit pupil greater than 4 mm.

The Discoverers had a smaller field of view and the picture was smaller and not as natural (third technical term) as the Meoptas. They both resolved detail equally as well.

I will try them for a few days. I will compare them to my 6x30 Yosemites and my 6X32 Platinum Rangers. If my first impression lasts, then I may sell some stuff so I can buy another pair. If you find something you really like, buy two, so you have a spare when it is discontinued.

GrimJim

Posted By: FrankD Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 04/16/09
Darcy,

Sorry for not replying sooner but I did not see your post until now. Personally I have found the 8x42 vs. 8x32 comparison someone overrated. For most of the hunting situations I have been in I thinkt he little 32 mm models perform just as well during legal hunting hours. If you are looking for a true low light glass then I would be looking for a 50 mm model or better. The 42 mm models work as a "compromise glass" for just about anything. The 32 mm models are best in terms of their compact nature along with decent exit pupil size and subsequent acceptable brightness levels in most daytime usage conditions.

GrimJim,

Thank you for the comments and the review. I am glad to see you bought them and that you are quite satisfied with them. They will really take off when more folks like yourself take the plunge. I think Meopta has some big things planned over the next year. wink
Posted By: FrankD Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 04/16/09
Hey, I just noticed the new Meopta website is up and running....

www.meoptasportsoptics.com
Posted By: SAKO75 Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 04/18/09
Bird Watching Magazine (UK) Reviews The New Meopta Meostar B1 8x32

in the December edition of Bird Watching magazine (UK) David Chandler puts the new MeoStar 8x32 through its paces.

Overall verdict...

"A very nicely put together binocular which delivers a very good view via some lovely ergonomics. Try them alongside the acknowledged �top-gun� 8x32s. Then compare the prices. This Meostar could be a neo-star"

This is a small, lightweight binocular that felt very good in my hands. The aluminium alloy body is covered in green rubber armour, with some stippling to improve grip and with thumb indents underneath. The thumb indents were well-positioned.

Build quality feels and looks impressive, and given Meopta�s history of manufacturing for the military, I suspect this binocular can take some abuse. It�s stuffed full of nitrogen, is waterproof and fogproof and will work from -45�C to +55�C � adequate for most bird watching!

The moving bits are good too. Dioptre adjustment is via a click-stopped, uncalibrated wheel on the focuser. It offers three dioptres of adjustment in either direction, works well and couldn�t be moved inadvertently once set.

The rubber-covered eyecups have a good action, twisting up and down to three positions.

Focusing is smooth and precise, with moderate resistance. The 1.5-finger-wide-ridged focusing wheel provides good grip, even with gloves on, though it sometimes stuck at closest focus. It takes about 1.5 clockwise turns from up close to infinity, but for most birdwatching you won�t need to move it more than 60-70�.

The package includes a strap like no other, and that�s not a criticism. It�s wide, and neoprene, with lumps on the neck side, added to increase airflow and reduce the sweatiness of your neck! Strap attachment is simple, the lugs don�t get in the way and the binoculars hang well. However, it�s reasonably hefty, and may be more than you really need for these.

So are the innards as good as the outers? Meopta use cold coating on their lenses, rather than vacuum coating, which means you can put more, thinner layers on. Silver is used for the mirrored prism surface � this isn�t �di-electric state of the art�, but does a very good job.

The view is impressive and bears comparison with the acknowledged top names. It is wide, very sharp and bright, with just a hint of a yellow cast, but nothing to be concerned about.

Contrast is good, and, hand held with a resolution chart, the Meoptas resolved similarly to an 8x32 from one of the �big four�. I tried hard to find some colour fringing, but found very little, certainly nothing that put me off. They did well in low light and have very good close-focus � I could get them down to just under 1.7m. Eye-relief is quoted as 15.4mm.

I did find some edge softness, but don�t go looking for it � the normal way to use binoculars is to put the bird in the middle!

The accessories are well made, but the rainguard locks on to the eyepieces and can be a real pain to get off � I�d change it.

The case is too big � I�d find an alternative.

The tethered objective covers hang by a thread, literally, so the covers don�t flap up over the lenses. It works, but they can be removed and that�s what I would do.

Design and ease of use (out of 10) 9
Optical rating 9
Value for money 9.5
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 04/20/09
Originally Posted by FrankD
Glad to hear it. I would agree with you. He did understate it. The 8x32 Meoptas are every bit as good as the Swaro EL/SLCs at a fraction of the cost.

they cant be as good, they dont cost near as much as swaros!!!
LOL!
Posted By: darcytribe Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 04/20/09
GrimJim,
I'm curious about your opinion of your new Meo 3x32's performance in low light conditions. How do you feel they compare to your 8x42's? You mentioned that your daughters SLC's did not do an adequate job during dusk conditions. Were they 8X32's? How would you say these new Meo's perform in dusk conditions with the 4mm exit pupil? Do you feel they be adequate for use in hunting those conditions? Any info you can offer would be really helpful as I try to decide on the 8x42 or 8X32 Meos.
~Thanks a Bunch
Posted By: GrimJim Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 04/21/09
darcytribe:

I arrived home too late tonight to compare the Meopta 8X32 to my old 7X42 SLC's. I was amazed last year that I could watch deer through a Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8X32 on my rifle for some time longer than I could through the SLC's. (This was well past shooting time and the rifle was unloaded. The deer were way out of range no matter what the light.)

I will return to this topic later this week.

Cheers,

GrimJim
Posted By: SAKO75 Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 04/21/09
what year are your SLC's? Whats the first 3 digits of the serial #?
Posted By: FrankD Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 04/21/09
...not to mention what magnification was the scope set at while doing the evaluation. A lower power coupled with the 32 mm objective should provide a brighter image considering the exit pupil and the age of the individual in question.
I bought my SLC's in 1998. The serial number starts with D630. I sent these back to Swarovski a few years ago for a minor repair and they came back completely rebuilt. I was very impressed.

Frank D, I think I had the Conquest cranked up to 8X when I was looking at the deer browsing in the alfalfa fields just off the edge of the woods several hundred yards away. Even at a lower power this is a reverse of an earlier experience.

In 1993 in Michigan I could see with my earlier pair of SLC's a buck in the middle of some does in a field just about ten minutes before the end of shooting time. I could not distinguish the buck from the does with the 4X32 Ziess Diatal(the compact one with the rubber objective) on my rifle. I had earlier that season shot a buck in brush by aiming through the twigs and branches I saw in the Zeiss, so I knew the Zeiss optics were first rate. I found that the higher power allows you to see more detail in lower light.

For this reason, I like to be able to go to 6X on my riflescopes. However, my 6X scopes never had the view the SLC's do.

I know my eyes probably can't make use of all the brightness available. So 8X with a 4mm aperture might be just right for me now. Or it may be that the 2.5-8X32 Conquest is a very bright scope.

Cheers,

GrimJim
Posted By: SAKO75 Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 04/21/09
Those were made in 1993. The newest SLC's came out in 2006. THey are not the same animal
Sako75

Yes, I thought I might upgrade. That is why I have the Meostar 8X32. Newer optics in a package more suited to my aging eyes.

You do make it clear that comparing the new Meostar to my old SLC's won't prove to darcytribe what he needs to know.

Cheers,

GrimJim
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 04/21/09
Originally Posted by GrimJim
Sako75

Yes, I thought I might upgrade. That is why I have the Meostar 8X32. Newer optics in a package more suited to my aging eyes.

You do make it clear that comparing the new Meostar to my old SLC's won't prove to darcytribe what he needs to know.

Cheers,

GrimJim

yes grimjim you have the OLD swaros, you would have to spend way more than you paid for the old ones to get something that compares to the meoptas!! LOL MEOPTAS ROCK!
Posted By: GrimJim Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 04/22/09
Well, I watched the evening turn to night through the Meopta 8X32 and through my ancient SLC 7X42's. On this basis, I will give darcytribe my opinion with one caveat.

My opinion is that the Meoptas are absolutely adequate in low light for aging eyes. More than adequate. Everything that has been praised about them is true.

The caveat is: Do you wear glasses? I switched to the SLC's when they first came out as a real improvement over the B&L Zephyr 7X35's. The Zephyrs came with two sets of eyecups, one for use with eyeglasses. These were fine.

By comparison, the Swarovskis were great! The retractable eyecups and long eye relief provided a view fully compatible with eyeglasses. They still do. Long eye relief is also why I like Leupold 6X42's and Conquest scopes.

The 8X32's are not quite as compatible with eyeglasses of my prescription, at least. If you don't wear glasses, they are outstanding.

GrimJim
Posted By: darcytribe Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 04/23/09
thanks Grimjim for the review. I don't wear glasses so I'm thinking the meo 8x32 will work very well for what i need. I'm 42 and believe my eye performance will only be going south from here. Between your's, franks' and other reviews it seems like these are the real deal and will suit me well as an all around bino for the rest of my hunting days. Thanks to all for the input, now over to Cabelas website...
Posted By: darcytribe Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 09/25/09
Grim,

I've been using these 8x32's for a few moths now and couldn't be happier with em' Thanks for the advice!
Posted By: FrankD Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 09/25/09
I have decided to make them one of my "permanent pairs" as well. I love the handling and the optics are well above average. I have them sitting right next to me here in my desk drawer. Where I go...they go.

wink
Posted By: GrimJim Re: Meopta Meostar 8x32 - 09/25/09
darcytribe:

You are welcome and I am delighted you are so pleased with the Meopta 8X32's. I returned mine, sold my old SLC's and bought a pair of SLC's used that were of later manufacture and have the newer coatings. They are very impressive for me.

I might spring for a pair of Meoptas again in a bit, but it would be the 7X42 format. Other reviews say they are very rugged. This may or may not be useful to me, as I am not very rugged myself. :-)

Cheers,

GrimJim
© 24hourcampfire