Home
Seems to me that the vast majority of scopes sold today are of the 3-9 variety,..usually with a 40-50mm objective lense.

I'd venture a guess that of all those 3-9 scopes sold, very few ever get dialed down below 9. I once had a 10X Leupold on a 30-30 Remington 788 and it was a favorite. Had I known that they were going to discontinue them, I would never have let it go with the rifle.

Generally speaking, the fixed power scopes that I find today are the 4X's and the 6X's,..and then they jump all the way to 15X and up. I like the 10's for playing at the range. They have a wide enough field of vision that you don't have to spend a lotta time trying to find the target and they have enough magnification that you don't need a spotting scope to see where you're hitting.

There's some company making a 10X scope called a "Super Sniper",...but it's got a 30mm tube and the dad-burn thing is about 2 feet long,..and what the hell kinda company names their scope a "Super Sniper" any damn way?

Somebody, somewhere needs to start manufacturing a good, clear 10X scope that doesn't look like it belongs on Mount Palomar. It would also be nice if it came in under $300.

For the most part,..I don't need no 3,4,5,6,7 or even a 9 on my bolt rifles,.. But I'd give a pretty to have a 10,...just a 10,...X40,...under 12" long,...with a 1" tube.

It's a natural. Somebody make one.
The Bushnell 10x 3200 is your Huckleberry.

TC
You may be right.

I think I'm gonna get one.
Obviously the masses prefer the variables to a 10x.
The Bushnell 10x is one of the best deals going; the turrets track very well.
Leupold Mark 4 10x is the shizzle.
Leupold makes an excellent 12X. E
the problem is obvious to me, no one wants a 10 x scope for hunting as its too much power for shorter shots, if you want to go to the range I want more power than 10x has to offer, so really it doesn't do anything very well, that is why its not popular
The fixed PMII 10X42mm from Schmidt & Bender is on hell of a scope also!!
USO ST-10, in just about any variation you can dream up.

Now if only someone would make a decent 6X with low profile external knobs and a 30mm body.
USO makes an ST-6.
IOR made a 6X42 but the knobs were a little taller than low profile. Tactical model of course. Saw one on another site for about $350.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
.........There's some company making a 10X scope called a "Super Sniper",...but it's got a 30mm tube and the dad-burn thing is about 2 feet long,..and what the hell kinda company names their scope a "Super Sniper" any damn way?

It was originally made to fill a US Navy contract by Tasco. Now owned by SWFA. About 13.5" long, 22oz. For the money it's a good deal. 120 moa internal elevation travel makes it good for LR pursuits. Paralax adjustment and mildot reticle are good features too. I run one in 16X as a spare/tactical spotting scope. They are kinda bulky for a sporter, but good budget glass on a heavier varmint/tac rig.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Obviously the masses prefer the variables to a 10x.

+1
If the masses wanted a fixed 10x, someone would make one.
I've been looking at the Bushnell fixed 10x for some time now, and based on Oregon 45's endorsement, I'll be getting one. Thanks for the cmts Oregon 45!!
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
USO makes an ST-6.

Unfortunately, they opted for a 24mm objective. I was hoping for 42mm. The ZF95 comes closest to what I was looking for, but is out of production and has a few warts.

Now if USO would make the ST-6 with a big Obj and MOA reticle, I'd be golden.
Originally Posted by 260madman
IOR made a 6X42 but the knobs were a little taller than low profile. Tactical model of course. Saw one on another site for about $350.

IOR doesn't have a good rep for their customer service, and I wasn't impressed by the 6x42 I looked at.
Dearth of Fixed 10 power scopes? In no particular order:

Falcon Menace 10x42
SS 10x42
SS 10x42 HD (to be released later this month)
Leupold 10x40
IOR 10x42
IOR 10x56
IOR 10x56 IR
S&B 10x42 PM II
USO ST-10
USO MST-100
Bushnell 3200 10x42

Street prices on the above range from Under $200. to over $2000.

And if a 10x fixed is too much magnification:

Falcon Menace 7.5x50MM; 30mm Tube; Standard Mildot; 1/4" or 0.1 (.36") MIl; 100" of adjustment; Side Focus down to 10 Yds, and under $300. delivered to the US from the UK offered by Optics Warehouse, UK.

Bob

another +1 on the bushnell 3200 10X

EXCELLENT VALUE!
A fixed 10x is a lot more versatile than most would believe. My wife shoots all her big game with 3-9x and 3-10x scopes cranked all the way up, because she likes to see exactly where she's aiming. I watched her shoot a buyck mule deer at 50 yards as it moved through tall sage last fall, no problem. She just wishes somebody still made a light 10x.

The FOV of a typical 10x at 50 yards is 5-6 feet. The average deer is less than 5 feet long.

I have been shooting a 10x Leupold Mark 4 on a .300 Weatherby for a couple of months now and don't see why it wouldn't work at any range from 40 yards out to whatever. The reports from various military personnel are that the fixed scopes are still tougher than any variable.
I appreciate all the good words about a fixed 10x scope. I've been a stand for more fixed power scopes, not fewer.
I think there is a place for fixed powers from 2 1/2x, or 3x, all the way up, in 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, and 20x, plus the high powers for target shooters. With this, I'm not against variables, I am just FOR more fixed powers.
I bought a 10X Leupold in about 1968. It has been on a slew of rifles and one I will keep as long as I live. I have no trouble using one, field of view wise. And I have hunted big game with it in W. Oregon for years. One heck of a good scope.

Fred
Bristoe: I also have owned a squad of 10X Leupold scopes and wish I had them back. I have also owned fixed 8X, 7.5X, 12X, 16X, 20X Leupolds and some straight 15's by Weaver and Unertl.
The invention of the 6.5x20 variable Leupold killed these scopes off - or at least the "call" for them on a retail level.
For what you are interested in doing I have a couple of Weaver KT-15's (straight 15 power's) and they are GREAT scopes not only for range work but also for Colony Varminting!
And they are not to expensive.
Yeah - look up someone with the Weaver KT-15 and give it a look through.
I see older 8, 10 and 16 power (and rarely the 20X's) Leupolds at Gunshows throughout the west from time to time and they go for way more than I am willing to pay (try 2 1/2 to 3 times their original cost!!!) nowadays.
I still have 3 (three) Leupold Westerner's (straight 8 power scopes with adjustable objectives) and these are splendid optics made in the early and mid-60's, IIRC.
I would not even consider selling these scopes at any price, they are that good an optic!
Leupold still makes the straight 12 power scope and that is also a pretty fine scope.
I see a few Lyman 10X scopes at the gunshows now and then - these are excellent scopes but if you see one make sure it says "Perma-Center" on the scope before you consider buying one. I have a couple of these and they also are in the "don't sell" category for me.
Good luck finding a 10 power.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
You can pick up a used 10X in Leupold or Weaver..I see them for sale in the gun digest from time to time. Like most I see little to offer in a 10X...If I wanted such a scope I'd opt for the 4x12 Leupold, as that is about all I can handle for varmint hunting.

As for big game I could easily get by with a 2.5X the rest of my life..The longest two shots I ever made were with a 3X Leupold.
© 24hourcampfire