Home
I have a couple and I'm going to use them this year. Just curious if anyone here is still using them.
I've got a 2 3/4 X post on my deer rifle. It's been there since 1968.
Bill
I have an old 6400 20x, but it's not on anything at the moment.
I've got a 4X now a T/C Encore,still works like it did in '70.
I may move it to one of my Mannlichers for a little 'retro'....
I'd love to find a clean 6X.....
I have a 2-7 variable with post and crosshair on an old Husqvarna 308. It does the job. smile

Ted
I sold my last Denver Redfield about two years ago. They were very good scopes in their day. But, like computers, optics improvements are always on the march. And, I like keeping up with mo better stuff. (Mo, better and different is my middle name.. grin)

Don
I have an Redfield Tracker 3x9 on my 270. I do not see Denver or USA on it, but bought it new in 1978. Don't see made in Japan or China on it either. But is a very reliable scpoe. Tom
Out of a couple I bought and several inherited from dad, there's one left. A 4X with plex reticle made fairly late in the history of Redfield is still going strong on my 7mm-08. The others were sold, traded away or leaked and got tossed.
there is a widefield 1.75-5X 20mm Redfield on my Remington 742

I have a another 20mm tube, a 1-4X 5 Star on my Marlin 336Y

On my Remington 700 CDL, there is a 2-7X 20mm 5 Star.

Yeah, I like old Denver Redfields a lot. smile
I just put my Golden 5 Star 2x7x32 on my 358, it needs to go hunting again. My 700 270 wears a Widefield 3x9 again. I always liked them and wished they were still around.
Sounds like some neat combo's you guys above have, with great rifles, and older Redfields.
At one time, Denver Redfields were one of the most sought after scopes available, equal to Laupolds back then. But, the EPA done them in.
I have a 4x and a 6x..........both very good fixed power scopes in my view . I also have an older Luep 4x and I prefer the optics of the Redfields .

I've used the 6x quite a bit for load work on some bigger rifles , including a couple of 375 s . The eye relief is generous and the scope seems to be plenty tough .

My old 250-3000 has been wearing a 2x7 Redfield since the 70's. It's still going strong. Also have a 4x on my Ruger No. 1A in 30-06.
Doc
[Linked Image]
I got a 3x9 lo pro on my BAR 30-06. Had a twin but a guy wanted to be "period correct".
I've got a 3-9x42 Redfield Widefield Illuminator w/AccuTrac. The low light capability of this scope is still outstanding today. Also a 3-9x40 Tracker. I use them both.
The old "Denver Redfield�s" were great scopes in their day. I killed my first buck in 1970 with a Savage 99 in .308 topped with a 4x "Redfield 1 inch tube" scope - wish I still had it.

I do still have a 2-7x Redfield that works as good today as when I bought it in 1974. My history may be off a bit, but Redfield bought a scope company named "Koulmolgrenn" or something like that... I have seen scopes that look exactly like an old Redfield with that name on them. That is how Redfield who was in the iron sights and mount business got in the scope business.
A gentleman named Don Burris worked for Redfield in the early years and was the brains behind the second focal plane reticle Redfield offered and the Widefield models of scopes. He left Redfield and started Burris. Lots of U.S. scope history around those old Redfield�s. Not the current "Redfield" branded scopes that come from the Pacific Rim... As you might tell, I have a warm spot for those old scopes... They were bright, rugged, dependable and Made in the USA.

DMB is correct... the new scopes are better, brighter, more consistent, better coatings, and on and on... but those old Redfield scopes were and are a quality scope from a time when "Made in the USA" meant something.

Returning from memory lane to reality - damn, am I getting old!

Ovis_Chaser
my sons 8x57 has a 3x9 widefield with a plex. and I have a 8x32x40 with a half minute dot. its on a 4 digit ruger no 1 in 6mm. for target shooting the dot sucks but is ok in the field wish i could get it changed. any ideas on who could do that?
1911 these guys can help: http://www.ironsightinc.com/mildot.html
I have (2) 2 3/4's that are still being used. One on a 30-06 and the other on a 22lr. Not the quality of newer optics , but they work.
DocFoster, your Savage 99 wearing a Redfield brought back a lot of good memories... Killed my firt buck with a Savage 99E in .308 with a 4x Redfield. Thanks Doc! Ovis_Chaser
I still use a Redfield 3-9x40 Illuminator scope. It has a few marks on it but is better than some of the name brand newer scopes that are touted highly.
I have a 2 3/4X and a 4X both with really nice optics. Both are 26MM so my mounting options are limited.
Ovis, those were Kollmorgen Bear Cub scopes. Damn excellent scopes for the mid to lates 1950's & highly thought of by none other than Jack O'Connor himself. Kollmorgen made periscopes for the U.S. Navy, so they knew something about optics & moisture sealing. Redfield purchases the Kollmorgen Bear Cub line of scopes in 1959 and produced them as their first scope line, the "Redfield Bear Cub" until 1964. Redfield Bear Cubs continued the excellent quality standards that Kollmorgen had established. I currently have a Kollmorgen 4x Bear Cub on my fathers 03-A3 sporter. Believe me, it is as clear and bright as the day it was made 50 years ago.
I have 1 left and it is sitting in it's box at this moment (never had a single problem with it (3-12x56 Ultimate Illuminator w/TT & a 30mm tube). It was one of the last new developments from them before the EPA stepped in. They were only about 9 miles from me off of Jewell Ave. and was my fathers favorite scopes at the time (owner of Front Range Gunsmithing in Lakewood CO.). It's still a good scope today when comparing it against modern Luepies and such. Had a guy offer almost $300 for it the other day, but I turned it down. I hate to have it just sitting around collecting dust though. I'm mainly a Swaro guy now and have a few Zeiss as well on top of most of my stuff.
I have the same 30 mm scope with adj. obj., still mounted on a 7 mag, I just wonder about the new generation of scopes being clearer and more light gathering ability. Any opinions, I was thinking about a Zeiss with Z plex.
Thanks for the info 3D... Yes, those were first rate scopes in thier day. I keep my eye out for them at guns shows. The old stuff is for show... and the new good stuff is for go!!!
Thanks again! Ovis_Chaser
If you had asked me this morning if I had a Denver Redfield, I would have said no. But this afternoon I was adding a scope box to my pile of scope boxes when I picked up an old Simmons scope box that I was expecting to be empty because I havent had that scope in years. It was heavy, so when I opened it up, to my surprise there was a Denver Redfield 1" 3-9 in the box. This perplexed me because I didnt remember having this scope, but after a few minutes of racking my brain, I remembered that I took it off of an old Colt Coltsman in 243 that bought a few years ago, and obviously forgot about it. Now I have to figure out if I want to use it or sell it.
Kimberman, you just might have a buyer depending on the reticle and how attached you are to it! <wink> Ovis_Chaser
Hi,

Reading this post, I must disagree about the quality, optics and mechanics of these old Denver Redfield. I am talking on the fixed power ones.
I have an old 1" tube 4x Redfield Bear Cub. I bought it used, well used, not abused, from a late friend who use it for 30 years over a nice sporterized 7,65x53 1935 Argentine Mauser.
It had originally a duplex type reticle. Two years ago I send the scope to one of our two optics tecnitian who can change the reticle and re seal any scope. He put a N� 4 reticle.
Yesterday down I made a test between this scope and: a Hendsoldt Diasta (steel) D 4x32; a Zeiss Diatal DA (same as the former but aluminium) also 4x32; Schmidt&Bender 1,25-4 x20; Sch&Bender 1,5-6x42 (at 4x) and a Zeiss Victory 1,5-6x42 (also at 4x). Result:

I couldn�t find ANY appreciable difference between all these scopes looking at trees, bushes and shades! Until dark ! I could make a shoot with any of them antil dark. And and daylight, the Redfield is AT LEAST...the same... well a bit better as far as the resolution of details than the old Hendsoldt and Zeiss measured by an US Test Sheet.
In my experience with my scope and another 6x from a firend, I am convinced that these Denver Redfield were the best Fixed power scopes made in the USA, even by today standards. Period.
Ah, it is the back up scope (I ofen use it just for fun istead of the Victory) for my .375 M70 Pre-64.

Regards

PH
Sorry, I mean dusk. Not down!

PH
I bought this 2 3/4 Widefield on the classifieds here for $50. I got it in last week and mounted it on a 94BB 356
[Linked Image]
It zeroed right in.
I have a 2 X 7 widefield on a 25-06 still bright and clear.
My brother in law has a 2-7 Widefield in great shape he wants to sell
$125 plus postage. He just needs more power in the fields he is hunting.
© 24hourcampfire