Home
Currently have a Leupold VX-II 3x9x40 on it. I'm looking for some input? I want to put that scope on my Winchester Mod 70 7mm it has an older Bausch&Lomb scope that the adjustments are on the mount and not the scope? Was thinking of going a fixed 4x on the 45/70? Any thoughts are appreciated, always had Leupold for a scope but, would consider going different route if it's a better scope. P.S. Anybody know anything about the Bausch & Lomb where the adjustments aren't on the scope but on the mount? Thanks
I put a Leupold Compact fixed 2.5x scope on my Guide Gun and mounted it as low as possible using a Leupold QRW system. It seemed to me to be perfect for the Guide Gun, and allowed the scope to be removed and replaced without loss of zero if I wanted to use the iron sights.

The Marlin lever rifles have really low combs on their buttstocks and you need a very low scope mounting system (and a fairly compact scope with an objective smaller than 40mm) to get a good cheek weld. Also, the Marlin lever actions place the ocular bell quite far back, due to the location of the rear base.

A variable scope on a Marlin lever action sits too far back for my taste, due to the fact that the power ring must be located behind the rear scope ring. A big scope can interfere with your rear sight. A fixed power scope can be mounted further forward, which makes your head position more natural and target acquisition faster.

Soooo, if it was mine, I would put a Leupold fixed 2.5x on it with the lowest combination of bases and quick-detachable rings I could find. The 4x you suggest would also be just ducky.

The old Bausch & Lomb system with adjustments in the mount was very well thought of back in the 60's. My hunting buddy still uses that system with a BalVar8 scope on it. I sighted it in for him last deer season and, although it took a little fiddling to figure out that you had loosen the opposing screw before turning the adjusting screw, it worked fine and seemed like a solid system. His scope, despite being over 30 years old, gave a clear view and was perfectly usable even in this modern age. I thought it was cool.

There is some interest these days in putting vintage scopes on vintage rifles for the ultimate "retro" hunting outfit, so I'll bet if you decided to sell your B&L, somebody with a pre-'64 Model 70 would snap it up PDQ.
My Guide Gun wears a VXI 1-4, the Shotgun/Muzzleloader version with the closer parellax setting and coarse duplex cross wires.

This has worked very well for me for quite a few years now.
Bryce,

Welcome to the Campfire. If you get a chance take a look through a Zeiss Conquest 1.8 - 5.5. I don't have a scope on my Marlin 1895 but if I do it will be that one. Very clear and very generous eye relief. Price is reasonable too.
Bryce-welcome to the Fire!

I'd take a look at a 3x Leo, or the 2.5 Leo. And if I recall right Weaver makes a 1-3 that should work well I'd think.

Dober
Bryce,

What kind of hunting do you plan to do with the .45-70?

There is some demand for older scopes & mounts. As a matter of fact I just bought a 4x B&L with the adjustable mount for a pre-WWII Model 70 .30-06, and there are some other loonies like me out there.
Went with the forward mounted quick-detach Leupold 2.75X Scout scope on my 45-70 guide gun. Just another option for you to think about...
I don't see much reason to mount a high power fixed or variable on that rifle.
Low power fixed should work well. I used a Weaver K 2.5 on my old Marlin 45-70, and never had an issue.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I don't see much reason to mount a high power fixed or variable on that rifle.
Low power fixed should work well. I used a Weaver K 2.5 on my old Marlin 45-70, and never had an issue.

I agree. When I decided to scope my 1895SS I bid on an old El Paso made Weaver 2 1/2 power standard crosshair scope on E-Bay. I purchased it for around $40.00 Use it every fall in the Blue Mountains of Oregon for elk. Works great. No problems with fogging etc. and has not been affected by my fairly heavy handloads.
I had an older Weaver 1.5 on my Marlin 336 for years. Like a dumb-ass I loaned it and it was damaged. Threw a 4x Leupy on but preferred the old Weaver.

It was an excellent scope to use on a deer drive.

Best,

JM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

2.5x compact Leupold on the 1895 - it's like they were made to go together.

Originally Posted by Bryce
Currently have a Leupold VX-II 3x9x40 on it. I'm looking for some input? I want to put that scope on my Winchester Mod 70 7mm it has an older Bausch&Lomb scope that the adjustments are on the mount and not the scope? Was thinking of going a fixed 4x on the 45/70? Any thoughts are appreciated, always had Leupold for a scope but, would consider going different route if it's a better scope. P.S. Anybody know anything about the Bausch & Lomb where the adjustments aren't on the scope but on the mount? Thanks
..............Imo, if you`re going to re-scope the Guide Gun, the straight tubed scopes look the best on the levers, especially on those lever rifles that are more compact such as the Guide Guns. Belled scopes on a Guide Gun, let alone a 3x9, are oversized, heavier, and in most cases, over magnified for the rifle itself and for the 45/70 cartridge!

Without a doubt, the best picks in this case, are the very light and more compact 2.5x FX2 Leupold with 4.9" of eye relief, the lighter 1-4x20 FX2 with very good eye relief or the 1.5-5x20 VX3 also with very good eye relief.

Futhermore, you`d certainly want a faster target acquiring and aiming scope, which is a far better match to the theme of that rifle, than a larger higher powered variable and heavier belled scope.
There are 3 really good ones. The Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32, the Bushnell 3200 Elite 2-7X32, & the Nikon Prostaff 2-7X32. I use them and they are all you'll ever need.
Wow! Thanks for all the information. Looks like I'm at the right place! And thanks for the welcome! I will take a look at some of your suggestions. And I will be the 1st to admit that a full sized scope looks out of place on such a compact gun! Has worked very well just want something lighter. One question though! When using the smaller obj scope how much light loss should one expect? I used to hunt in NE Oregon for Mule Deer & Elk now I live on the Coast of Oregon and hunt Blacktail deer and Roosevelt elk. Thanks
The larger objective lens is only necessary for low light shooting with high powered scopes. A 2.5x scope with a 20mm objective would have an 8mm exit pupil, which is excellent for use in low light. The Leupold scope would have quality glass and lens coatings and would be a very good choice for low light.

A 4x scope with a 32mm objective would also have an 8mm exit pupil. Most people's eyes can only dilate to quite a bit less than 7mm, so you would have good performance with a 4x as well.
Liked my Leupold FXII Ultralight 2.5x in QRW's. It was on my 1895 and is on my 1894 for the time being until I get another 1895 45-70..
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
The larger objective lens is only necessary for low light shooting with high powered scopes. A 2.5x scope with a 20mm objective would have an 8mm exit pupil, which is excellent for use in low light. The Leupold scope would have quality glass and lens coatings and would be a very good choice for low light.

A 4x scope with a 32mm objective would also have an 8mm exit pupil. Most people's eyes can only dilate to quite a bit less than 7mm, so you would have good performance with a 4x as well.
Thanks, that makes sense that is what I'm looking at right now.
Going to fart around with my Guide Gun's setup this year for fun. Have never scoped it, put a set of Ashley Outdoors GRs on it before I fired the first shot, but my eyes have gone middle aged in the past 10 years...

The thing is extremely accurate even with iron sights and I've read more than one article with scoped versions shooting sub-MOA, which could be one reason to go higher than 2.5X. One in particular in Precision Shooting (mebbe) the author was recommending German glass of at least 4X and shooting tiny groups.

The 2.5 Leupold looks just awesome, but a bit more power could help steer bullets through holes in brush. It looks inappropriate, but Jeff Quinn got Leupold to put a custom dial on a scope for his GG so he can plop those big bullets on target way out yonder.

Have had an XS rail gizzy with a GR on it sitting around and may finally put it on and use QRW rings with several different scopes this spring and summer.
Why not a Burris Scout or Leupy 2,5x28...Enough power for the job
Dom
[Linked Image]
I bought and mountd a 2-8x32 Nikon Monarch on my Marlin .45-70. I used low mounts and am very pleased with the way that the Monarch scope has worked fo the rifle. The scope is small and can e mounted low to take advantage of the Marlin's low comb. The quality of the Monarch is high and the scope fits the rifle.
FWIW - I have an older Leupold Vari-X II 1-4x20 that I have tried on several rifles. It has almost all the great features I appreciate in Leupold scopes, except it is not very bright. I can hunt quite a bit later in the day with my other Leupold scopes that feature 33 and 40mm objective lenses. Maybe there's just something wrong with my particular scope, or maybe I'm doing something wrong. I've been meaning to send it to the factory for a check-up but just haven't done it yet.

Another scope that I have had good luck with on my GG and other rifles is a Bushnell "Sportsman" (IIRC) 1.5-4.5x20. This is not an expensive scope and I don't know if they're still available, but it has good eye relief and clarity, and I have not had issues with mechanical strength.

-
I have a Burris Compact 1x4 EER on my 1895G and I like it. I also think the straight tube scopes look better on a short lever action. My 1895SS looked fine with a Burris Compact 3x9, to me anyway.

I have standard Leupold mounts but I would like lighter, lower profile base and rings with quick release but don't know if they exist.
+1 in the straight tubes on lever guns.
on my model 1895 i have a leupold 1.5x5 mounted with warne QR rings and bases......returns to zero every time.....the warne rings and bases are a little more expensive but they are really built for durability....the scope is low and i really appreciate the 5X option when sighting in.....the 45/70 still has plenty of snot out to 250yds. or so.....make sure you have the magnification for the distance....i have a leupold 2.5 on my 44mag marlin and i feel thats a good match for the useful range of the gun.....bearit.....
bearit,

Can you post a pic?
I use a Simmons ProDiamond 1.5x5x20 shotgun scope on my Guide Gun. I picked up several of them at under $100 ea and use them on my levers. Shotgun scopes are well known for taking recoil, but Simmons is definitely a Rodney Dangerfield scope on this forum. Good luck.
My choice is the Leupy 1.5-5x20 Vari XIII on Leupold QR mounts. Here with a red stag in the patagonian andes.

http://es.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=258b01x&s=6
RDW....sorry but i'm just not that computer savvy....my 44mag. marlin has the same warne set-up....it also returns to zero.....warne low-mounts will get you as close to the barrel as you can get.....regards....bearit...
Originally Posted by RDW
I have a Burris Compact 1x4 EER on my 1895G and I like it...I have standard Leupold mounts but I would like lighter, lower profile base and rings with quick release but don't know if they exist.

I have a Burris scope like yours, I think. Mine has oodles of eye relief, like 5-6 inches IIRC. I custom-made my mount so I could take advantage of that eye relief by positioning the ocular lens in front of the hammer. I do not need a hammer spur extension, and the scope is far enough away from my eye that there is no way it would hit me. I made a few of these for some of the guys on the old MarlinTalk forum before Marlin decided it wasn't in their interest to continue the forum. When I find the picture of my GG with the Burris in my custom mount, I'll post it here.

-
That sounds like my scope, lots of eye relief, not quite a pistol scope but close. I would like to see you mounts.
© 24hourcampfire