Home
Im torn between the Swarovski 3-18X50 Z6 BR and the Zeiss Diavari 4-16X50 FL Rapid Z 800.
It'll be used 50/50 target and hunting. Short and long range.
The Swarovski has a better X range, but I believe the Zeiss may have the edge in image quality and low light capability. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Any image distortion at the low X end with either?
My IOR 4-14X50 Tactical has some distortion at the low end. Looking to replace it. Kinda fussy with optics.
If I can't decide I'll get an ACR. grin

Both great scopes - I partial to the Zeiss though!! (cause I just got one LOL!!)
I think I read on here the Zeiss has a locking 1/3 MOA adjustments instead of 1/4 MOA. This alone would seal the deal for me.

I've never looked through the Zeiss 4-16X50 but everything I see on paper makes me want to.

I've owned a few of the Swarovski PH line scopes. A fine piece of glass for sure.

Terry
Zeiss hands down. Better glass and the reticle can actually used for hunting. Reticle is the Zeiss has provisions for wind and is not nearly as scant as the ones Swarovski is using these days. Hair thin reticles are fine as long as all the animals you hunt feed around noon.
The 4-16x50 is one hell of a scope - this is coming from a Schmidt&Bender man!!
Ive used both and like the Z6 much better.
slg888 - quit smokin crack!!
Originally Posted by 300MAG
slg888 - quit smokin crack!!
300FAG,only crack Im smokin, is your wife's crack.

Zeiss is a poormans Swarovki.
The the Swaro is a poor mans Schmidt&Bender!! LOL!!!

I'd probably be happy with any 3 just mentioned minus the crack.

Terry
They are all great optics!! (With or Without crack - LOL!!)

I have owned both a Z6 and a Diavari Ziess.

The Z6 has the wider mag range and bigger field of view.

The Ziess has sharper optics,and the reticle was much bolder and better in low light.

For hunting at dawn and dusk,the Ziess is far superior IMHO.

I sold the Z6 and bought another Ziess.
I know that I'm in the minority here, but for a big game scope, I prefer a FFP especially with a ranging reticle. I took a look at a Swaro Z6 with BR reticle when they first came out & the reticle looked to be too thin for low light shots. I had a Swaro PH 3-12x50 with TDS reticle & a Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x50 with duplex reticle on my 2 go to rifles at the time. I wanted to replace the Zeiss with a scope with a ranging reticle. Rather than buy the Z6, I found another Swaro PH with TDS which had been discontinued. In my opinion, the old TDS reticle is far superior to the BR.
At this level of optics you can't go wrong. What's more important is construction, reticle selection, etc because on optics alone they are all top of the line

I agree that the PH series Swaros with the TDS reticle are great hunting scopes.

I have a TDS Swaro on my favorite long range rifle.

I agree that the reticle in the Z6(a SFP) looks too thin in low light.

My two favorite hunting scopes are PH swaros with TDS for long range,and Ziess Victory for low light hunting.
Thats why we have Fords & Chevrolets. To my eyes, I would give my Swaro PH 3-12x50 a slight edge in low light vs. my Zeiss 2.5-10x50.
Its hard to imagine something better in lowlight than a victory.
I thought the same thing until I alternated looking thru both scopes across a pasture at a underground telephone line pedestal. Distance was 300 yds. & in the shadows of some trees. I continued alternating between the two scopes until complete dark. With the Swaro, I could see a little more detail than with the Zeiss.
A few years ago I built a multiple scope holder and compared a Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10X50 to a Swarovski PH 3-12X50. They were very, very close to each other in every test. Ultimately, the Zeiss had a slight edge and I bought it. I couldn't get use to the FFP reticle so I sold it. No crack involved.

I have a few more months to decide. Maybe I can get another dealer to send me a couple for a comparison.

What's the deal with Swarovski's warranty? Their site has nothing about it's length. Didn't Swaro have a hard coating on their PH lenses? Do they now? Again, their site isn't very informative.

Is LotuTec a soft or hard coating? Does it eventually rub off with repeated cleanings?

Originally Posted by CREDITMAN
I know that I'm in the minority here, but for a big game scope, I prefer a FFP especially with a ranging reticle. I took a look at a Swaro Z6 with BR reticle when they first came out & the reticle looked to be too thin for low light shots. I had a Swaro PH 3-12x50 with TDS reticle & a Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x50 with duplex reticle on my 2 go to rifles at the time. I wanted to replace the Zeiss with a scope with a ranging reticle. Rather than buy the Z6, I found another Swaro PH with TDS which had been discontinued. In my opinion, the old TDS reticle is far superior to the BR.

Great! Someone with some real hunting sense! Swaro PH 3x12x50 with TDS is mighty hard to beat. It is a shame the geniouses in Austria decided to discontinue the best hunting scope made!(My experienced opinion) You can still get Schmidt and Benders with TDS reticle by the way.
Must be a Georgia thing.
Originally Posted by JimBobwsm

Great! Someone with some real hunting sense! Swaro PH 3x12x50 with TDS is mighty hard to beat. It is a shame the geniouses in Austria decided to discontinue the best hunting scope made!(My experienced opinion) You can still get Schmidt and Benders with TDS reticle by the way.

I have a Swaro PH with the TDS reticle and like it. Which S&B reticle number have the TDS reticle? A Summit with such a reticle would be interesting.
Both scoes are of high quality. To say one is substantially better than another is wrong IMO. On an individual basis one may be better than another. But overall, I seriously doubt it. I have both Zeiss and Swaro. scopes(not the ones mentioned). And I do not feel under scoped with either one.

As far as the Zeiss 800 reticle. I do not like it. And I wil give my reasoning. I have a few scopes with these type reticles. And they do work well, but within a limit. I have couple of the Leupold VH reticles, which is basically the same thing. It takes me about 100 shots at the range to feel fully comfortable with the reticle out to 500 yards. I do not think I could shoot it enough to feel comfortable with it at any father distance than 500 yards. After 500 yards things really start to change with a bullets trajectory. And IMO there is no way they can get it right out to 800 yards. As I said I can make the reticle work with any trajectory bullet(within reason) out to 500. But I think it would be impossible to extend that to 800 yards. Everything would have to be just perfect. And I do not believe you can get it perfect. 800 yards is a long long way. Tom.
Originally Posted by jimbo202
Originally Posted by JimBobwsm
You can get the Klassic series with TDS. 3x12x42, 3x12x50, and 4x16x50.

I have a Swaro PH with the TDS reticle and like it. Which S&B reticle number have the TDS reticle? A Summit with such a reticle would be interesting.
Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD
Both scoes are of high quality. To say one is substantially better than another is wrong IMO. On an individual basis one may be better than another. But overall, I seriously doubt it. I have both Zeiss and Swaro. scopes(not the ones mentioned). And I do not feel under scoped with either one.

As far as the Zeiss 800 reticle. I do not like it. And I wil give my reasoning. I have a few scopes with these type reticles. And they do work well, but within a limit. I have couple of the Leupold VH reticles, which is basically the same thing. It takes me about 100 shots at the range to feel fully comfortable with the reticle out to 500 yards. I do not think I could shoot it enough to feel comfortable with it at any father distance than 500 yards. After 500 yards things really start to change with a bullets trajectory. And IMO there is no way they can get it right out to 800 yards. As I said I can make the reticle work with any trajectory bullet(within reason) out to 500. But I think it would be impossible to extend that to 800 yards. Everything would have to be just perfect. And I do not believe you can get it perfect. 800 yards is a long long way. Tom.

All you have to know is all your ballistic info. ie bullet weight, Bullet BC, velocity, sight above bore, and altitude. Punch the info in the online calculator and bam. It has worked for me countless times. I can be pinging steel at 600yards in less than 10 shots and have done so many times. The TDS and Rapid Z systems just work. You do have to remember to re-calculate if your load or elevation changes drastically but no big deal. I am no genius but these systems are.
© 24hourcampfire