Home
Posted By: fw707 Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/03/10
Are these a good choice for a first "quality" binocular purchase?
Is the 30mm objective still bright early and late? I know the 3.8 exit pupil isn't ideal, but doesn't the glass and coatings help make up for that?

Any other pros and cons?

Thanks!!
Posted By: SKane Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/03/10
It's an excellent first, and last quality binocular purchase.
The 3.75 exit pupil will still get you plenty of light.

Only con, at least for me, is the focus wheel being toward the latter part of the barrels.

Posted By: fw707 Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/03/10
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to hear something good! grin

Anybody else?
Posted By: Farmboy1 Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/03/10
I think the Swaro. 8x30 SLC is a good choice, as I have a SLC Neu. I do think that a 42mm type is better overall, and some reasons are just easier on the eye, easier eye placement, better in low light.
Posted By: DAMARA Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/04/10
all the above because the exit pupil is larger
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/04/10
Great binocular and combined with Swaro service are an unbeatable value.
Posted By: Ackman Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/04/10
Try them first and compare to others of the same quality. Bino's don't all have the exact same proportions. Slight variations can make them fit your face a little differently. Also focus control isn't the same. With all the time spent using them, they should feel right. I have Leica 10x50 that fits very well. I wanted another smaller pair and got a deal used on the Swaro 8x30. They had beautiful glass, but eye relief was a little different and the fit wasn't quite right. So they got sold.
Not sure if the sale is still on, but I got an email from Doug at cameralandny new for $899.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/05/10
Yes, that promotion is on.... Swarovski 8x30 SLC Binoculars are $899.99, brand new, while supplies last.
Posted By: Timberbuck Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/05/10
Great glass, you won't be sorry. Well worth buying over mid price glasses. The lastest version of this glass made in the last couple of years are excellent and improved over even a SLC NEU made 3 or more years ago- Swarovski has just kept improving their lenses and coatings. These last SLC binos are best buys.
Posted By: cooperfan Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/05/10
Are the "WB" version different from the "NEU" version. Man I can't keep these things straight.
Posted By: fw707 Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/05/10
Originally Posted by Kingthing0307
Not sure if the sale is still on, but I got an email from Doug at cameralandny new for $899.

Yep, that's where they are coming from. I hope they'll be here tomorrow or Saturday.
I looked through a set of Swaros a few years ago at a 3D archery shoot. If these are anything close I'll be tickled pink. grin

Thanks again Doug!!
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/05/10
Originally Posted by cooperfan
Are the "WB" version different from the "NEU" version. Man I can't keep these things straight.

The "neu" versions from 2006 and after all have the Swarobright, Swarodura, and Swaroclean coatings, the latest and greatest that Swaro has according to the service tech I talked to.
Posted By: Farmboy1 Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/06/10
Originally Posted by cooperfan

Most all of the SLC's are WB, and the "neu" version is also, a WB. "W" stands for wide angle, and "B" means eyeglass
friendly.

For those wondering the later NEU models of the 8x30 SLC are the best. That means newest coatings and improvements
all along the line.

Jerry
Posted By: Brad Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/06/10
The 8x30 SLC Neu from Doug is the last, best bargain in Alpha optics IMO.

I've hunted with 8x30/32 bin's for the last 24 years and they're all I need/want. Have had the 8x30 SLC's and they're top drawer.

Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/06/10
And, anything with a serial number 68xxxx and above has Swarobright
Originally Posted by Brad
The 8x30 SLC Neu from Doug is the last, best bargain in Alpha optics IMO.

I've hunted with 8x30/32 bin's for the last 24 years and they're all I need/want. Have had the 8x30 SLC's and they're top drawer.

Brad:
I agree with these being a good value, and the 30-32 bins are great for carry and daytime, but a great 42 will
be the thing you want for early and late. I have the 8x30 NEU SLC, and they are my lightweight choice, but I do
rather enjoy the view from a 42 much of the time. Now I am often glassing from afar so weight is not a factor, and
for some here that is a consideration.

If you are thinking of one quality optic, for most hunters, a 42 mm is my recommendation. Nothing new here.

Jerry
Posted By: Brad Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/06/10
Funny, I've never had an issue in low light with my 8x32 Ultravids, 8x32 Trinovids, 8x30 and 7x30 SLC's. Certainly nothing that's cost me a BG animal anyway.

My 8x32 Ultravids have shown me everything I need in low light, but of course they have the same exit pupil as 10x42 glass.

Posted By: Brent13 Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/06/10
Buy them,you won't regret it! I picked up a 8x30 SLC NEU, and love them. The focus wheel up front is actually very nice, especially if you wear a ballcap often. The quality of these glasses is incredible, the feel in the hand is superb. Then look thru them and you will be sold. I like them so much taht I also picked up a 10x42 SLC. I am sold of spending top-dollar for optics. I bought so many chaep pairs that I could have been money ahead if I would have started with Swarovski. My only advice, if you are only going to buy one pair, consider the 10x42, at least demo both before you decide. For an all-around, the 10x42 seems tops.

Brent
Originally Posted by Brent13
I bought so many chaep pairs that I could have been money ahead if I would have started with Swarovski.

That right there ought to be a mandatory sticky for everyone who visits the optics forum to read.
Originally Posted by Brad
Funny, I've never had an issue in low light with my 8x32 Ultravids, 8x32 Trinovids, 8x30 and 7x30 SLC's. Certainly nothing that's cost me a BG animal anyway.

My 8x32 Ultravids have shown me everything I need in low light, but of course they have the same exit pupil as 10x42 glass.

Brad:

Come on now, I don't care how many Alpha 30 or 32's you have,
a 42mm will be the best pick. If you are thinking of the easier,
brighter view, a 42 will win every time.

Many here that are glassing out long distance, a 8x or 10x42mm, is easily the most common size for hunters.

I have some quality 30-32mm picks, including the 8x30SLC, and they can be a good pick,
but for those watching, GreatWahputi is right, Swaro, is a great
place to start. I have settled on the 8.5x42 EL as just a great optic for all around.

That being said, I have other Alpha optics, of 10x42, but the
8-8.5x42 is easily just a great all around pick.

Jerry
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/06/10
My main daily-carry bino is the 8x30 SLC. It is a perfect balance of size and magnification for hand-holding. I use my 15x56s off a tripod when the 8x30s are cutting it. They are great glass.
Posted By: azrancher Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/06/10
I agree with Dennis. 8x30's swaro's are wonderful for a primary glass, then i dig out a pair of 13x56's if i need to look long. I have found game[a bedded bull] at 1330 yds according to the rangefinder with my 8's. My pardner had trouble finding him with 10x50 pentax's after he knew where he was. They are much easier to take a quick look when horseback or when winded from climbing. Yes good 10's show more detail but you've got to get steady to benefit from their superiority.
Fred
Posted By: fw707 Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/06/10
Originally Posted by Farmboy1

For those wondering the later NEU models of the 8x30 SLC are the best. That means newest coatings and improvements
all along the line.

Jerry

Jerry, is the current 8x30 WB SLC I'm getting from Cameraland a "NEU" model with ALL of the newest stuff?
Originally Posted by fw707
Originally Posted by Farmboy1

all along the line.

Jerry

Jerry, is the current 8x30 WB SLC I'm getting from Cameraland a "NEU" model with ALL of the newest stuff?

Yes, it should be. Let us know how you like it.

Jerry
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/06/10
On those SLC's, take the serial # and add 30 to the first two numerical digits and you'll have the date of manufacture, i.e. D785xxxxxxxxxx = 2008 mfg date. Anything 2006 and later has all the newest coatings.
Posted By: fw707 Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/06/10
Thanks Jerry, and everybody else that replied.
I appreciate the info and comments!

I probably would have chosen a 10x42 as a first pick, but the Cameraland sale on these 8x30's and my bino fund just seem to fall in place right now.

JP
Originally Posted by JGRaider
On those SLC's, take the serial # and add 30 to the first two numerical digits and you'll have the date of manufacture, i.e. D785xxxxxxxxxx = 2008 mfg date. Anything 2006 and later has all the newest coatings.

The 30 year thing will get you close, but it's not 100% accurate. An example being, Swarovski sent me a 2010 production 8x30 SLC as a replacement earlier this year and the serial number was 76xxxxx.
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

The 30 year thing will get you close, but it's not 100% accurate. An example being, Swarovski sent me a 2010 production 8x30 SLC as a replacement earlier this year and the serial number was 76xxxxx.

Well.....I heard it straight from the horse's mouth. Go figure. BTW, what's your take on a SLCneu vs a Meopta both in 10x42? I haven't looked through a neu ever, and it's been a couple of years on the Meopta.
IMO, the Neu has a slightly better image quality, better diopter adjustment system, and better eye-cups, but there's no flies on the Meopta/Cabela's Euro's and I consider them to be one of the best bargains in optics currently available.

Those 10x42 SLC Neu's that sold in the classifieds last week for $800.00 were a smokin' deal!
If i'd a seen that one earlier I'd have jumped on it, but I was too late. I've found a SLCneu in 10x42 demo for $1199.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/06/10
We just received another shipment the beginning of this week
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/06/10
Does Swaro make a 7x30 SLC Neu?
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/07/10
No they do not
Posted By: llama2 Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/07/10
I would not hesitate to buy a 8x30 SLC Neu in a heart beat. I almost replaced for good my older SLC with one this year. To me it is one of the best buys in optics today; I think you are making a very smart move. Especially at that price, which by the way was the brand new price last year before they raised them $250 for 2010.

I have had a 2000 ( might be a 1999) Swarovski 7x30 SLC since I bought it new 10 years ago and it is very, very close in optical quality to both a 2009 8x30 SLC NEU and it is also very close to a 2009 Swaro 8x32 EL that have all the newest coatings.

And I had (owned) all 3 of the above this year and did extensive testing at my house with all 3. I still have the 7x30 SLC and sold the 8x30 NEU and the 8x32 EL. The only new coatings to speak of that Swarovski has done since approx. 1998 when they did the Swarobright was in 2006 they added the Swaroclean which is a protective coating on the optics surface, which has nothing to do with the optics. I am sure they are constantly upgrading their quality, but have not really added any real new feature in the optics coatings since over 10 years ago. The SLC Neu's infact are the same optically as the prior ones, it is just that the body style is different in the outside armour. Also if you ask Swarovski they will tell you that the 8x30 SLC and the 8x32 Swaro EL are the same optically, except for obviously the body shape and Spec's and of course one being 32mm vs 30mm.
They did re-do their coating equipment in 2009 to get ready for this years new models of EL's and HD's, and all 2009 models supposedly benefited from that.

When I compared my 2009 8x30 SLC NEU to a friends 2003 8x30 SLC, they were about identical when it came to the optics. Which makes sense since the only added thing is one has a different outside rubber and has some coating put on the glass to protect them (swaro-clean) not improve the optics.

If I did not have the 7x30's already and also another quality 8x (a Pentax 8x32 DCF ED), I would have kept one of the others in a heart beat. The only real difference in all those Swarovski's was the 7 vs 8 power. Other than that, you would be real hard pressed to see a difference optically.

Swarovski's are not only very good glass, but they do not go changing things willy nilly all time with different models etc. Now this year was a little different for them by coming out with 2 new or up-graded models. Other than that they really have not added much for 10 years. They are one of if not the best, and they do not have to be throwing out the baby with the bath water so to speak and go making whole sale changes. When you buy a Swarovski product, you are not only buying a quality piece of glass, but one that will stand the test of time and you won't feel the need to constantly up-grade. Plus you are buying a product that will hold good resale value and you are getting their just about 2nd to none CS.

I sent my 7x30's back to Swarovski for a tune-up this year and they said:

" When you called you asked for the new lenses with the EZ to clean coatings , unfortunately the glass is not available for 7x30 SLC�s, they have been discontinued. According to the technician, your lenses are in almost perfect condition."

They sent them back to me all clean and spiffed up. Got to love Swarovski's service -it is top rate. They looked and were every bit as good as their new products. My glass was all ready in good condition, they just as I said spiffed things up. And this was with out refurbishing them.

The serial # part is in fact correct about adding 30 years to the number, so a 69... is a 1999 and a 75... is a 2005 etc. On my 2009 8x32 EL anniversary edition it had a serial # of 78..... And I called to ask Swarovski about it and they said even though it had all the 2009 stuff on it and was released as an anniversary edition, it was produced in the end of 2008. So the #'s do infact match the year of manufacture, not when released.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/07/10
Good stuff Llama 2, appreciate the detailed info. I'm one of those interested in the SLCneu, only in the 10x42 version. I was told by Swaro that if I get a pair mfg 2006 and after they would be optically the same as the EL's, yet you're saying there's no difference in the older SLC and the SLCneu optically (not arguing, and you've seen them, I haven't). I did compare my Leupold GR HD with my neighbor's SLC and the GR HD had a slight edge all the way around (splitting hairs, but it was there). Makes me wonder if the SLCneu is worth it over the Kowa Genesis, Meopta, Pentax ED, etc.
Good stuff Llama 2, appreciate the detailed info. I'm one of those interested in the SLCneu, only in the 10x42 version. I was told by Swaro that if I get a pair mfg 2006 and after they would be optically the same as the EL's, yet you're saying there's no difference in the older SLC and the SLCneu optically (not arguing, and you've seen them, I haven't). I did compare my Leupold GR HD with my neighbor's SLC and the GR HD had a slight edge all the way around (splitting hairs, but it was there). Makes me wonder if the SLCneu is worth it over the Kowa Genesis, Meopta, Pentax ED, etc.

Yes the ELs are basically optically the same as the SLC according to Swarovski tech's themselves. The main difference is the outside shape (open hinge on EL and closed on the SLC) and some of the specs are slightly different. But optics are the same- ie: lens coatings etc. IMHO the SLC are a bit tougher.

As far as old vs new SLC, there really is no difference optically only the SLC NEU has different armor on the out side and it has the Easy clean (Swaroclean) outer protective coating. If you took off the outside armor of 2 SLC's side by side and one was a SLC and one was a NEU, they would look the same. In fact when guys have sent in their SLC's and have had them completely refurbished and they come back with a different serial # stamped on them (which is re-done on the old one) and the refurbished ones have the NEU outside Armor on them- what they got back was their old SLC's body with new parts etc, or what ever was done,- in their old body with new armor.

When comparing the SLC's to the mid level, I do not know about the Kowa; but I thought the 8x32 Pentax ED sample that I have was head to head with the 8x30 SLC (2009). In fact the Pentax was actually a little brighter. They are known for that. The Pentax also out did the SLC at the last few minutes of light. But that could have been a 32 vs. a 30mm. But the SLC had a wider FOV and better edge to edge, and it is about 3 OZ. lighter. If I had to choose between buying a new SLC vs. a Pentax ED, I would buy the SLC. It was just that I already had the pentax and I got it at a local second hand shop for a unbelievable price. The SLC (the 8x30) is lighter and has a better feel in hand and has the great Swaro service and is better FOV and it is lighter. I did not compare a 42 mm Pentax with a 42mm Swaro, so can not comment on that. I still think I would buy a SLC. Plus if you ever want to upgrade I know you would have a better resale with a Swaro product vs. a Pentax.

I did compare the SLC 2009 8x30 SLC to the 8x32 Meopta Meostar and in my eyes the SLC was better. I also feel that the SLC has a better build package. Meopta makes fine glass, but I rated the Pentax 8x32 ED that I had over it when I tested it against the 8x32 Meostar. I thought the SLC was a definite overall better package over either.

But each eyes are different and each person has to decide what works best for them. That Leupold GR is one fine bino that does not really sit in the back seat at all. It was just for me a weight issue. I am a 30/32 mm fan and at 27 oz. for the GR 32 mm- that as a bowhunter on foot is a deal breaker for me. Even the Pentax 8x32 is a tank at 23.5 (built like one too) compared to a SLC or a Meopta.
Thanks again for the super insight Llama, much appreciated.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/07/10
This a prime example of why I suggest potential buyers try as many binos as possible (first-hand) before laying down their hard earned cash, because what looks and feels best to me, might not be right for you.

The reason I say this is because to me, the Meopta 8x32 Meostar smokes the Swarovski 8x30 SLC in every way, and while I haven't tried a 32mm Leupold Gold Ring, I was not all that impressed with the 42mm Gold Ring HD's I've tried. Not that any of them are a bad choice, they just didn't do it for me.
I hear 'ya GW. It's just not possible to do that where I live, short of ordering 3-4 pair and returning the ones I don't want. One of my criteria is toughness, so the Meopta, even though I don't particularly care for the thinnish eyecups, is a contender, as is the SLC and the Kowa. I've kind of ruled out the EL's and FL's because, although the FL is optically superb I don't think it is as tough as some (maybe it is, not sure). It is funny how people are different, as I fell in love with the GR HD's immediately and still think they're fantastic. I doubt you'd miss anything with any of them though. I can't find anyone who know anything about the Kowa Genesis.
Posted By: Farmboy1 Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/07/10
Here are some additions to what has already been mentioned on
the SLC 8x30. I gleaned much of this from Birdforum posts over
the years. The dates may be approximate. Some of these changes
in models may or may not apply to other SLC models.

The first version is the Mk. I, Not waterproof, fold down eyecups, Mid. 80's
The Mk. II was next and added phase correction, and another
lens to the front for waterproofness.
The Mk. III model had a
body change and pullout eyecups. In 2003 there was a big
change and that was Swarobright, di-electric prism coating.
This helps with higher light transmission, truer colors, Higher
contrast and sharper. Also sometime in there was the change to
twist up eyecups.
2006, Easy to Clean was added which helps aid
cleaning and water repel.

Then the SLC Neu, armor change, along with the current Swaro. textured grippy feel. All along the way, were other coatings changes. To find the year of MFR. add 30 to the first 2 numbers of ser. #.

Any of the 8x30 SLC's are very good optics. The largest improvement in my opinion would be after 2003 when Swarobright
was added. That will increase your ability in low light.

Like Llama mentioned earlier, the nice thing about the Swaro.
8x30, is its smaller size and lighter weight, around 20 oz. and that is one good reason many want this quality lightweight size.
When you compare that to some other 32's that are much heavier, then for my choice I would go right to a 42mm when you get to 27 oz. or heavier.
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
This a prime example of why I suggest potential buyers try as many binos as possible (first-hand) before laying down their hard earned cash, because what looks and feels best to me, might not be right for you.

The reason I say this is because to me, the Meopta 8x32 Meostar smokes the Swarovski 8x30 SLC in every way, and while I haven't tried a 32mm Leupold Gold Ring, I was not all that impressed with the 42mm Gold Ring HD's I've tried. Not that any of them are a bad choice, they just didn't do it for me.

GW is absolutely correct here when he says it is "Your" eyes that are the final judge.

I did most of my testing with the Meopta 8x32 Meostar (and I think GW knows the exact sample of Meopta 8x32 that I used for testing) against the Pentax 8x32 DCF ED that I have. I was actually planning on loving the Meopta and figured I would sell the Pentax, but that did not happened.

In my back yard on my deck I can look 300 to 400 yards down to the River and I can also look a couple miles across the Valley at the south facing hills across the valley. I watch Eagles, Osprey, other birds, moo cows, horses, the river rapids and lots of other stuff and also what few game we have left here in Oregon as test subjects. I also take the binos out in the field lots of places in the state. Again this is testing for me- for my own eyes.

I thought the Pentax 8x32 ED sample that I have was better built, better focus (mine is like butter), brighter etc. And the real test for me as a hunter is in the last few minutes of light- I could pick out a lot more detail with the Pentax ED than I could with the Meopta. My Pentax I actually thought beat out the 2009 8x30 SLC sample that I had in the last few minutes of light test as far as being brighter and picking out detail. For this test as a hunter, you really do not care about FOV, because your eyes are burning a hole right down the center of the optical field to glean as much detail as you can. For me the Pentax was better in this regard.

I thought the 8x30 SLC was a better overall package than the Meopta. But I am a Swaro fan.

Like they say- different strokes for different folk's "eyes".

Farmboy1 is right here on the dates. I looked up some notes that I had down on the SLC's/ Els' from Swarovski and The Swarobright was first started by Swarovski for some of their bins in about '98-'99 and did not make it to the 8x30 SLC's until 2003. Now I remembered that I do not think they ever had the Swarobright on my beloved 7x30 SLC's since they did not get on the 8x30's until '03 and they stopped production on the 7x30's in 2002 (mine are 1999).

But.... my 7x30 SLC are to my eyes every bit as good as the 8x30 2009 that I had. But that might be my jaded "sentimental" eyes since the 7x30 SLC was my first top tier binocular purchase.
Posted By: Farmboy1 Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/07/10
Originally Posted by llama2

Farmboy1 is right here on the dates. I looked up some notes that I had down on the SLC's/ Els' from Swarovski and The Swarobright was first started by Swarovski for some of their bins in about '98-'99 and did not make it to the 8x30 SLC's until 2003. Now I remembered that I do not think they ever had the Swarobright on my beloved 7x30 SLC's since they did not get on the 8x30's until '03 and they stopped production on the 7x30's in 2002 (mine are 1999).

But.... my 7x30 SLC are to my eyes every bit as good as the 8x30 2009 that I had. But that might be my jaded "sentimental" eyes since the 7x30 SLC was my first top tier binocular purchase.

I think the first bins that Swaro. made with Swarobright would be
the EL series, first introduced in 2000, and all of the EL's have it. The SLC's got the di-electric prism coatings a short time later. It seems the 8x30SLC has had changes made on its own
and not like the other SLC's.
Posted By: FlaRick Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/08/10
I bought a Swaro 8x30 over 10 years ago. I have to say that I use it more than any sport/hunting/camping item I ever bought. I use them for everything - sports events, concerts, boating, hiking, sightseeing, camping, and of course, hunting. They were great out of the box and they are still as good as new. I also have the 10x42 EL's but I find the 8x30's are still the bino I use the most.
Posted By: RICKMELEAR Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/08/10
I have a pair of 8X30 Mark IIs that I bought around 2000. I used them heavily until last year and was very pleased. My wife and I planned a trip to Wyoming and Montana in Sept of 2009. I sent the Swaro's in for the eye cups to be replaced and and a internal cleaning for the trip. What I got back did not resemble what was sent in. The bino's had new armoring, screw up eyecups, the prisms replaced along with 2 pages of other up grades. The price was $25, this was on a pair of bino's that I payed $415 for 20 years earlier. The view was far and away better than what I had previously. I know this is not the question that was asked but i also own Minox, Zeiss, and others but from this day forward Swarovski will be the only optic I will buy. Just my experience and opinion.
Posted By: fw707 Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/08/10
Wow!
I really appreciate the time y'all have taken to reply to my question! I never expected this much information.
The 8x30's should be here Monday. I'll be sure to post an evaluation. grin
Posted By: llama2 Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/08/10
Enjoy! Like what was stated by others above, they are great and will last a lifetime if you want. Will be all you'll ever need if that is your desire.
Posted By: Timberbuck Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/08/10
You are possibly mistaken/incorrect about the upgrades to the SLC NEU and upgrades to SLC models in general. Also one must remember that around the time when Swarobright was added Swarovski also went to more neutral lenscoatings in their binos.

This is a quote from Swarovski product literature around 2008 in reference to the NEU SLC models.

"Quality control of the roof prisms has been refined to less than two arc seconds"
"Production accuracy standards of the lenses have been raised to the finest , premium photo quality level"
"Improved color fidelity has also been acheived through refined lens coating application.

Swarovski did more than just change the armor on the SLC NEU , they improved the optics, and later added the easy clean coatings. On the previous SLC they added swarobright and went to more color neutral lens coatings.

IMO an SLC from 10 years ago is not in the same class optically as a recent NEU SLC. Even a early production SLC with Swarobright does not compare to a NEU SLC made in the last couple of years.

Posted By: llama2 Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/08/10
Originally Posted by Timberbuck
You are possibly mistaken/incorrect about the upgrades to the SLC NEU and upgrades to SLC models in general. Also one must remember that around the time when Swarobright was added Swarovski also went to more neutral lenscoatings in their binos.

This is a quote from Swarovski product literature around 2008 in reference to the NEU SLC models.

"Quality control of the roof prisms has been refined to less than two arc seconds"
"Production accuracy standards of the lenses have been raised to the finest , premium photo quality level"
"Improved color fidelity has also been acheived through refined lens coating application.

Swarovski did more than just change the armor on the SLC NEU , they improved the optics, and later added the easy clean coatings. On the previous SLC they added swarobright and went to more color neutral lens coatings.

IMO an SLC from 10 years ago is not in the same class optically as a recent NEU SLC. Even a early production SLC with Swarobright does not compare to a NEU SLC made in the last couple of years.

Yes I guess I could possibly be mistaken/incorrect with my previous info. But my info was not based on my opinion or from any advertising literature from the company. I posted info that was directly from Swarovski techs that work on the products every day. They said and I quote- "the only coating up grade to SLC's since Swarobright was the lens exterior coating "Swaroclean" put on to protect the lenses- it does not change the optics." They said that is the only basic difference between a 2004 SLC and a 2007. Same with the EL's- other than a change to a different focus speed in 2004; the only other change was the Swaroclean put on in 2006. And I really do not see that there would be any real difference between a 2007 Swaro of any model and a 2009. I looked at a 2007 EL and 2009 EL, and I could tell NO difference; and I think anyone that tells you different is blowing smoke. In fact if both were in new condition and you had someone go back and forth between them with out knowing which one was which- I do not think they could be able to tell you.

Every company makes changes and upgrades and I am sure Swarovski is one of them with their quality controls. But if we are talking about real changes to the optics- that has not been done according to them. Same thing with the 8x30 SLC's and a 8x32 EL- they said the lenses and coatings in them are identical. Just the body style and size of the objectives are different.

Every one needs to come to their own conclusions. I believe what they told me; and my own 2 eyes "to me" verified it. I looked real close at a 2003 8x32 EL and a 2009 8x32 model and I or any one else would be hard pressed to see ANY optical difference. And other than magnification even my 1999 7x30 SLC, did not look much different from a 2005 SLC 8x30 that my brother in law had and also a 2009 8x30 SLC that I did have.

When my 7x30 SLC was in for a tune up and I was also looking to see if they could put the lenses with the easy clean on them, they told me like I quoted above in an email directly from them that:

" When you called you asked for the new lenses with the EZ to clean coatings , unfortunately the glass is not available for 7x30 SLC�s, they have been discontinued. According to the technician, your lenses are in almost perfect condition."

I also talked on the phone after that with the tech working on them and asked him his opinion about any difference he saw between my 1999 7x30 SLC and a 2009 8x30 SLC. And he told me that "other than the obvious mag. difference, it is only the outer armor of the NEU and the easy clean lens coating-there is no real optical difference; that 7x30 of yours is in perfect shape and is a fine piece of glass."

To my eyes (the only ones I need to please) I am happy with what I now have. And I personally would not hesitate to buy an early-mid 2000's SLC and feel that they are just as good as the new ones. Also there have been some reports from the people that have tried out the new ones that the focus is somewhat stiff. I found this out with the 2009 SLC that I had- I thought that the focus was a little sticky. Because my 1999 7x30 is silky as olive oil. That may be an issue where the new ones will loosen up, but I found it a little bit of a problem especially with the 30 mm format with the focus out in the front of the bino-because I focus my 7x30 with my pinky or ring finger and it is no problem.

IMHO -Everyone just needs to see what works for them, but I would be confident that a well cared for older SLC, is still a great piece of glass.
Posted By: Farmboy1 Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/09/10
Originally Posted by Timberbuck

Timber:
I agree with much of your post, as the newer SLC's with the Swarobright are better than the older ones. As far as the older ones, the slightly yellow cast aided lowlight viewing when many hunters need the help. Unless you are a birder looking at plumage and are fussy about color, don't be concerned.

For most here the changes are incremental on the newer SLC's, and I have a late 8x30 SLC NEU, and have compared to an older version. So that means anything from 2003 onward is very good. The later twistup eyecups are great along with all
the rest of the changes in armor with its great grippy feel and balance.
Posted By: fw707 Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/09/10
Well, the SLC's showed up at the PO today. grin
I know there are lots of binos that are "better" and more expensive, but I have no idea how y'all measure the difference.

Anybody that spends a lot of time outdoors needs to own at least one good piece of glass of some kind, whether it's binos, a scope, or a range finder.
Posted By: SAKO75 Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/09/10
I know there are lots of binos that are "better" and more expensive, but I have no idea how y'all measure the difference.

Anybody that spends a lot of time outdoors needs to own at least one good piece of glass of some kind, whether it's binos, a scope, or a range finder.

lots that are better, maybe a few but not "lots!!!"

Posted By: SKane Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/10/10

You DO realize that you've purchased some of the best glass that money can buy and that anything that could possibly be better is quite subjective anyway. Right?!
Posted By: fw707 Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/10/10
Skane, this is the second set of Swaro binos that I've ever seen. I've never even seen any Leicas or Zeiss, so I have nothing to compare to.

But I don't see how it could get a lot better. grin
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/10/10
They're right, it doesn't get much better.
Posted By: SAKO75 Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/10/10
I did compare my Leupold GR HD with my neighbor's SLC and the GR HD had a slight edge all the way around (splitting hairs, but it was there). Makes me wonder if the SLCneu is worth it over the Kowa Genesis, Meopta, Pentax ED, etc.
wow thats amazing. leupy GR over the slc neu? i have compared and couldnt disagree more.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/10/10
I don't see how You guy's can tell the difference between any of the $750.00 + bino's, to My eye's the difference's are so slight as to be almost undetectable, I certainly don't see the extra money when You pay twice that price and even more, unless a man has more money than brains that is crazy........if that be the case, more power to ya rich guy!!!.........................Hillbilly.
ok if you say so
Posted By: SKane Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/10/10
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I don't see how You guy's can tell the difference between any of the $750.00 + bino's, to My eye's the difference's are so slight as to be almost undetectable, I certainly don't see the extra money when You pay twice that price and even more, unless a man has more money than brains that is crazy........if that be the case, more power to ya rich guy!!!.........................Hillbilly.

Well, there isn't a difference..................until you stare through them for 10 straight hours. smile

There is more than just the glass amigo - how they fit your face, ergonomics etc.....
Originally Posted by SAKO75
I did compare my Leupold GR HD with my neighbor's SLC and the GR HD had a slight edge all the way around (splitting hairs, but it was there). Makes me wonder if the SLCneu is worth it over the Kowa Genesis, Meopta, Pentax ED, etc.
wow thats amazing. leupy GR over the slc neu? i have compared and couldnt disagree more.

I didn't say SLCneu, I said SLC. I doubt, however, there'd be much difference, and you surely wouldn't see things through a SLCneu that I couldn't see through the GR HD, ever.
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

There is alot of truth to this. I stare through them for hours as much as most people I know, and I've done it through Elite's, GR HD's, SLC, Trinovid, Zen ED2, Pentax SP, , Steiner's, EL's, and probably a couple I've forgotten about in the higher end stuff. You can't see things through one and not the other. If you can't it's the glasser's fault, not the glass.
Posted By: rob p Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/10/10
I looked through a pair on Sunday at Bass Pro. I was picking up on dead oak leaves 100 yards away. I'm impressed. They had another model called HD's next to them for $1,000 more. I didn't look, but I have to wonder if they are phasing out the SLC's they have now.
Posted By: llama2 Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/10/10
Originally Posted by rob p
I looked through a pair on Sunday at Bass Pro. I was picking up on dead oak leaves 100 yards away. I'm impressed. They had another model called HD's next to them for $1,000 more. I didn't look, but I have to wonder if they are phasing out the SLC's they have now.

Yes, they are phasing out the SLC's in the 42mm size because of the new HD's. They will still cont. to make the 8x30 SLC as far as I know until (or if) they come out with a newer version of that size. Same thing with the EL's. They have phased any new production of the old EL's in the 42 mm size once they came out with the new Swarovisions. Now they still make the 32 mm size of EL and as far as I know will until they come out with that size of a Swarovision.

Kind of like autos; once they come out with a new model or version and the old ones are phased out of production -"adios old amigo"

But just like an old auto that is a classic vintage-we can still "drive" the old vintage binocular classics and realize that they are still awesome pieces of machinery.
Originally Posted by SAKO75

I didn't say SLCneu, I said SLC. I doubt, however, there'd be much difference, and you surely wouldn't see things through a SLCneu that I couldn't see through the GR HD, ever.
i bet whatever you could see with a GR HD, you could see wit ha monarch. THats only part of the equation though
You'd be wrong then. My hunting bud on our whitetail place had a pair of monarchs until I gave him my Elite's. The monarch's suck compared to the glass I mentioned. I've looked through them for hours also. The last several posts you refer to talked about optics, not ergos.
Posted By: DAMARA Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/10/10
all i notice is when it comes to leupy there seems to be the camp that thinks that they are as good as anything no matter what and the camp that says hey we tried them and didnt like the mas much.

I ordered some 8x42 GR HD's from cabelas once and returned them because i didnt like the eyecups, body armor, looks, and the optics werent "HD" to me in anyway. Look through a swarovision or Zeiss FL and you notice "HD."

I compared the Leupy to the Meopta Meostar at the time and preferred the ergos, eyecups, and sweet spot of the meostar.

I do not think you need "HD" to spot game though.....

YMMV
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/11/10
$2000+ for a hunting bino is rediculous IMO. To each his own.
Posted By: Browtine Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/11/10
Do the 8x30 SLCs come with the protective eyepiece cover or is that an add on?
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/11/10
yes, the caps are included
Posted By: Browtine Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/11/10
Thanks Doug! Just placed my order.
Posted By: fw707 Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/23/10
So how do you like the new binocs so far?
Posted By: skywalker Re: Swarovski 8x30 WB SLC - 08/24/10
I wonder how these 8X30's would compare to my ProMaster Elite ED's 8X42?
© 24hourcampfire